Analysis Did Darren Jarman play better football at Hawthorn or Adelaide?

Where did Darren Jarman play his better football?

• Adelaide

Votes: 39 45.3%
  • Hawthorn

Votes: 26 30.2%
  • Equally Good

Votes: 21 24.4%

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

A better footballer you will never see with the biggest bag of tricks I've seen. He gave me more joy watching football then any footballer I'd seen previously and what I've seen since. Whilst, his skills were sublime he was also courageous and tough.

Back to the question of this thread, in my opinion his best football was at Hawthorn where he was at his peak athletically which enabled him to play through the midfield.

He was great for both clubs - but I think overall he played more of his best footy for Adelaide.

Always loved that trade…well the sum of the parts as it was bit more complex but essentially…

Adelaide got Jarman (won them 2 flags)
Hawthorn got Salmon (made their TOC, probably a bit of recency bias at the time but he was in there) and the pick that got them Daniel Chick.
Essendon got Wellman and Barnard (pair of ace defenders in their 2000 flag)

Perhaps footy history’s best example of everyone making out like bandits.

Probably because he never played a game at Adelaide Oval.

And the footballers who do have statues at Adelaide Oval? Ebert, Blight and Robran? They're in a different stratosphere.
Or put a sign as you enter town 'Welcome to Adelaide: Birthplace of Darren Jarman'

In terms of statues at Adelaide Oval, am curious if Malcolm Blight or Barrie Robran ever played there? You say he's not in the same stratosphere but did any of the above names ever win their club's first flag literally off their own boot, not once but twice?

Last edited:
Or put a sign as you enter town 'Welcome to Adelaide: Birthplace of Darren Jarman'

In terms of statues at Adelaide Oval, am curious if Malcolm Blight or Barrie Robran ever played there?
Riccutio and Wanganeen have grandstands named after them and I'm not sure they ever played a game there.

In terms of statues at Adelaide Oval, am curious if Malcolm Blight or Barrie Robran ever played there?

Yes. Many times.

Can any technicians identify exactly what about his kicking style that made him so good? Anything about how he held the ball, his ball drop or kicking motion that people have picked up?

All in the timing I reckon.

Can any technicians identify exactly what about his kicking style that made him so good? Anything about how he held the ball, his ball drop or kicking motion that people have picked up?

Many people already have articulated his prowess, style and skills in this thread. I think the highlights video (that I haven't watched probably will give you a lot of answers).

I have a unique take, that is he kicked the ball ambidextrously as well as Sam Mitchell. The main difference he could do it at speed like Rioli, on both sides. So in other words he could bullet pass, snap, on drop it on a dime, all without breaking stride. So in other words a even better footballer than Gary Ablett Jnr, just not as prolific. And also unlike Mitchell, while he played midfield he wasn't the same clearance beast. Then again Hawthorn had Platten and Allen, so he wasn't needed in the guts as often. You really wanted Jarman to be the guy receiving the handball receive and then kicking inside 50. And if he did run into trouble, he had a side step as good as David Rodan, yep Jarman was pretty complete as a footballer, and he excelled pretty much at everything.

Not to dismiss his achievements in Adelaide, but those who think that he played better football at the Crows clearly didn't see him play at Hawthorn.

For all the cry of Vic bias, it just goes to show this is a myth, if the perception is that Jarman was a better footballer at Adelaide. Clearly he still played well there, but he lost some of his speed, agility and acceleration, which was obviously important traits he possessed when he was at Hawthorn. Despite this, he still had standout games in Adelaide, including the two Grand Finals, so if you only remember Jarman from Adelaide, just think of that version, with more speed and agility to realise the calibre player Jarman was.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Kick hit at the lowest point so there's less reaching.
He also hinged the knee a lot more than you see from other players. Type of style you see in warm ups on a stationary start, not running at full tilt

Played in a Corporate charity golf day many years ago & Jarman was in our foursome.

In addition to being a great footballer, he is also a good guy. A few beers were had during the round and he was funny as all hell. Had us cracking ourselves with the jokes and stories he told.

Hits a good ball as well.

As a Crows supporter, we saw how good he was when he came back to us but watching those highlights when he was at Hawthorn, its easy to forget just how brilliant he was in 1991-95.

Jason Dunstall rates Jarmen as the best player he ever played with. For a guy who played with some of the absolute legends at the club, that says a lot.

Judge for yourself. Best skills I’ve seen.

The pickup at full speed and baulk before kicking a goal at around the 7 minute mark was chefs kiss stuff. Against North. His 1 on 1 ability was Dusty like at his best because of his freakish skills. Could beat you in the air and on the ground and take the piss while doing it. Brilliant player.

The pickup at full speed and baulk before kicking a goal at around the 7 minute mark was chefs kiss stuff. Against North. His 1 on 1 ability was Dusty like at his best because of his freakish skills. Could beat you in the air and on the ground and take the piss while doing it. Brilliant player.
Guy was a genius.

Remove this Banner Ad

Analysis Did Darren Jarman play better football at Hawthorn or Adelaide?

Back