Opinion Did Hawthorn just expose a mental fragility?

Did Hawthorn just expose a mental fragility?

• Yes

Votes: 90 64.7%
  • No

Votes: 49 35.3%

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

I don't particularly like the way Ginnivan carries on.
I don't particularly like what Ken did.

But the ex Hawk media personalitiy carry on is the thing I find more awkward.
Lewis, Derm, Burgoyne & Hodge are obviously disappointed in the loss but geez get over it tough men.
They played under or worked with one of the most unpleasant coaches ever in Clarko.

Enough now.

I don't particularly like the way Ginnivan carries on.
I don't particularly like what Ken did.

But the ex Hawk media personalitiy carry on is the thing I find more awkward.
Lewis, Derm, Burgoyne & Hodge are obviously disappointed in the loss but geez get over it tough men.
They played under or worked with one of the most unpleasant coaches ever in Clarko.

Enough now.
Hodge was unbearable to listen to during Channel 7's commentary.

Hodge was unbearable to listen to during Channel 7's commentary.
I actually enjoy Hodge & Lewis as commentators.
Like Roos when he retired as coach, perhaps they shouldn't commentate games where they have a connection with the teams playing.

I think what agitated them about the whole thing was because one of their much loved ex p'ship team mates, Breust, was about to be chaired off after his 300th.

It seems there was plenty of emotions that got the better of some.

Now the Hawks have some ammo for future games against Port & a new rivalry is born.
I just hope that the special comments men from the Hawks give Ken the same latitude they have given both Clarko & Mitchell, who made a pretty insensitive gesture towards Essendon players during a game back when their players were hurting from the events that took place at their club. Mitchell set his benchmark right there IMO & I found it difficult to sympathise with him at the post match presser.

Until their next game against each other, move on.

Moore and Sicily choked big time. Ginnivan was a bit over the top. The emotions ran high with Hinkley after the game.

They are a great club that came a long way this year and they will learn from it. Might take a few more years but they'll be contending for sure.

It was quite evident that Hawthorn players and coaches didn't react well to Hinkley's post game comments last night and it definitely got under their skin. Hinkley claimed Ginnivan's comments earlier in the week were the trigger for his actions. It wasn't a good look for Hinkley but for Hawthorn it seems like a classic case of being able to dish it, but can't take it when it comes your way.

The questions is - Did Hawthorn just expose a mental fragility that's going to hurt them next year or even years from now? There's no doubt that teams are going to look to get under their skin again after what they saw last night.

What are your thoughts?
Gee pal you may off hit the nail on the head here! Id be expecting all AFL clubs to be seeking your number to offer you a job as an expert analysis of all teams behaviours so they can really gain an edge!

Absolute genius

Last edited:
Ken Hinkley showed in real time for the whole footy world to see, why Port has achieved nothing with him at the helm. Making a prelim final and getting the chance to play in a GF and win a flag isn't enough motivation for Uncle Kenny. A random social media post that had nothing to do with him, however..
Just a complete embarrassment to the PAFC

Hey, let's just chill out a bit, yeah? Banter's part of the game. If you dish it out, expect to get some back. I'm cool with Ginnivan and Hinkley. Ginny could learn a thing or two from this – it helped us win the game, after all.

Last year, we got a load of flak just for mentioning Oppenheimer. In footy, sometimes it's best to keep your cards close to your chest.

Ken Hinkley showed in real time for the whole footy world to see, why Port has achieved nothing with him at the helm. Making a prelim final and getting the chance to play in a GF and win a flag isn't enough motivation for Uncle Kenny. A random social media post that had nothing to do with him, however..
All the motivation uncle Kenny needed was to realise a win last night and he coaches on to a 13 season!!!

Amazing coach , even more amazing individual.
Port and Kenny- you can never tear them apart!!

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Hey, let's just chill out a bit, yeah? Banter's part of the game. If you dish it out, expect to get some back. I'm cool with Ginnivan and Hinkley. Ginny could learn a thing or two from this – it helped us win the game, after all.

Last year, we got a load of flak just for mentioning Oppenheimer. In footy, sometimes it's best to keep your cards close to your chest.

No, no let it all out. We'll enjoy playing Port next year

The type of football that you get more exposure to come finals time, as Port Adelaide well knows to its detriment.

Hawks have had a year to be proud of, and yet Sam Mitchell got one thing spot on, they finish at the edge of the top 6. Their last 5 losses have been against the top 4 teams, which paints the same picture.

Will need to take another step up to legitimately challenge for a flag.
Up until last night, they've been the hunter.

Teams have been prepared to trust their own game, rather than try to dismantle Hawthorn's.

Last night was the first time that the opposition has been the hunter, and has come into a game with the aim of taking Hawthorn's game away from them.

They simply didn't have a response.

Can we stop pretending like “see u in 14 days” comment to a Swans player, not even referencing Ken or Port is somehow equal to a coach deciding to tee-off on an opposition player after the game?

Hawks players celebrating goals or getting around each other after wins seems to have really upset a few.

But there’s a reason the AFL has given Ken a please explain.
In both instances the perpetrator was acting like a dickhead.

It was quite evident that Hawthorn players and coaches didn't react well to Hinkley's post game comments last night and it definitely got under their skin. Hinkley claimed Ginnivan's comments earlier in the week were the trigger for his actions. It wasn't a good look for Hinkley but for Hawthorn it seems like a classic case of being able to dish it, but can't take it when it comes your way.

The questions is - Did Hawthorn just expose a mental fragility that's going to hurt them next year or even years from now? There's no doubt that teams are going to look to get under their skin again after what they saw last night.

What are your thoughts?
Not particularly. Lost a final by less than a goal, gave it a good crack.

Some of their ex players in the media on the other hand.......

Teams have been prepared to trust their own game, rather than try to dismantle Hawthorn's.

Last night was the first time that the opposition has been the hunter, and has come into a game with the aim of taking Hawthorn's game away from them.

We lost by 3 points with a ball hitting the post with a minute left.

It is not like we lost by 10 goals.

They didn't have a response? After being 4 goals down they retook the lead, were 10cm away with a minute to go to take the lead again.

Amazing analysis there.

Whilst the team wasn’t as successful as Hawthorn, this is what Adelaide faced this year.
Lock down on their 1-wood offensive game and they didn’t have a good enough Plan B to go to.

Doesn’t mean they won’t, but they’ll need one good enough to be able to worry teams when they can’t execute Plan A.

Teams should hunt Hawthorn next year but whether it will work will depend on their continued development.

The cold hard reality is that they have run most teams off their legs. Their system is hard to play against if they're fit and firing. It will be interesting to see how they go being the hunted rather than the underdog hunter but I think they'll be okay

If Port went back-to-back you guys would blame Ken for winning the first one before he won the second one.

Hawks go waaay over the top with their celebrations. Their forwards have thrown their heads back all year like Hollywood actors. Great up and coming team but your club were a right bunch of sooks last night.

It's not up to Port Adelaide to celebrate Luke Bruest. It was a cut throat final. You guys have stung them twice in the past and were fortunate as heck back in 2014. Sooky Vic's always used to having their own way. Dish it out but can't take it (shizzle talkin, even if it's on socials)

Please baby Jesus let any of the teams bar Geelong win the premiership this year.
You are absolutely right. If a club doesn't want to line up I doubt anyone would care. Lining up for milestones had gone way over the top.

If you decide you are going to do it, then you would think you need to respectful when doing it

Also gives the Swans some fuel. Swans focussing on winning the Prelim, Port focussing on Instagram.

One team got their minds inthe right place.
Well I'd like to think you are right but I'm still struggling to trust my team against certain other teams.
Hard to believe we haven't beaten Port since 2016.
So that's including seasons 2016 & 2022 in which we contested the Grand Finals.:oops:

Remove this Banner Ad

Opinion Did Hawthorn just expose a mental fragility?

Back