Opinion Did Hawthorn just expose a mental fragility?

Did Hawthorn just expose a mental fragility?

• Yes

Votes: 90 64.7%
  • No

Votes: 49 35.3%

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

We lost by 3 points with a ball hitting the post with a minute left.

It is not like we lost by 10 goals.
I know people like to complain about umpiring especially when they lose but you guys got a ridiculous advantage in that game. Touched ball, ball out of bounds that lead to a goal, some really ****ing stupid free kicks that weren't there.

Can we stop pretending like “see u in 14 days” comment to a Swans player, not even referencing Ken or Port is somehow equal to a coach deciding to tee-off on an opposition player after the game?

Hawks players celebrating goals or getting around each other after wins seems to have really upset a few.

But there’s a reason the AFL has given Ken a please explain.
Is it because Sam Mitchell bitched about it at the press conference?

If Port went back-to-back you guys would blame Ken for winning the first one before he won the second one.
Unfortunately, people take footy super seriously. It happens at all clubs. A bulk of the Port supporters are abosolutely savage.

I would go to games in the early 2000s and those supporters were the ones trashing both Burgoynes week in week out.

This isn’t the SANFL. You aren’t some super shit hot club anymore. Getting to the last four is extremely hard.
It's actually not. We've been topping up every season he's been at the club. You can coast through a season and make a Prelim. You have nfi what you are on about. We will see how you are doing when Mick Voss is still at the helm in 2034 and you have yet to achieve anything. I'm sure you'll be content.

Well I'd like to think you are right but I'm still struggling to trust my team against certain other teams.
Hard to believe we haven't beaten Port since 2016.
So that's including seasons 2016 & 2022 in which we contested the Grand Finals.:oops:

Finals are different, we had the same issue with Geelong

Is it because Sam Mitchell bitched about it at the press conference?
Right so you think that coaches approaching players and verballing them after matches is a good look or something we want to see more of?

Can we stop pretending like “see u in 14 days” comment to a Swans player, not even referencing Ken or Port is somehow equal to a coach deciding to tee-off on an opposition player after the game?

Hawks players celebrating goals or getting around each other after wins seems to have really upset a few.

But there’s a reason the AFL has given Ken a please explain.
It's Australia. It's a microaggression to enjoy yourself. Don't you know that?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

It's actually not. We've been topping up every season he's been at the club. You can coast through a season and make a Prelim. You have nfi what you are on about. We will see how you are doing when Mick Voss is still at the helm in 2034 and you have yet to achieve anything. I'm sure you'll be content.
Did I say you should be content? I get the frustration. My club’s supporters have similar issues reconciling expectations and reality.

Port is just a mediocre club now. It’s not all Ken’s fault.

I didn’t see any coach approaching a player.

I did see a player approaching a coach however.
Oh, of course. Ginnivan went looking for Ken.

Jennifer Lawrence Reaction GIF

I think mental fragility was shown, but I think teams will need to be very subtle with how to expose it, as the chance of backfire is large (pretty sure Port players wish they Ken didn’t do what he did in the lead up to next week’s game). The saying about never getting into a fight with pigs in mud comes to mind.

I think there is a related aspect. The off season can be long and painful for players after losing a tight final. Each of Ginni’s teammates will now need to go through this knowing that Ginni’s selfishness and disrespect before the ball was even bounced likely cost them the game. Hinkley made sure to make that very clear.

Will they be able to endure Ginni over this time, particularly if Ginni (very probably) continues to carry on in ways that put himself before his teammates? Fly couldn’t hack him and they won the GF…

Yes. They're up and about being flogs when everythings going well. But as soon as it doesn't or someone nips back its the end of the world. I mean Kenny pretended to be an aeroplane in response to a comment that his entire club are easy beats and not worthy opposition and all the Hawthorn people are going on like Kenny ran over Ginnivan's dogs.

Anyway, it has given us some gold from the mentally fragile supporter base...

It was quite evident that Hawthorn players and coaches didn't react well to Hinkley's post game comments last night and it definitely got under their skin. Hinkley claimed Ginnivan's comments earlier in the week were the trigger for his actions. It wasn't a good look for Hinkley but for Hawthorn it seems like a classic case of being able to dish it, but can't take it when it comes your way.

The questions is - Did Hawthorn just expose a mental fragility that's going to hurt them next year or even years from now? There's no doubt that teams are going to look to get under their skin again after what they saw last night.

What are your thoughts?
How do you expose this mental fragility?

Sledging the Hawthorn players after the final siren doesn't appear to be an obvious way to change the result of any given match - but maybe I am missing something?

Remove this Banner Ad

Opinion Did Hawthorn just expose a mental fragility?

Back