Difference between SANFL and AFL or team form?

Remove this Banner Ad

SpiderHibs

Rookie
Mar 1, 2007
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Hibs
How big a gap is there between SANFL and the AFL? Both Porps and Knights have come back through the SANFL and played well (by all reports) and were certaintly touted to come straight back into the league side after good runs in the SANFL. Both have struggled since they have returned to the Crows.

The Crows team they have played for is playing very poorly and is severly lacking in confidence.

I guess my question is, is there a huge gap between playing SANFL and AFL or does coming into a team very low on confidence have a big effect on how individuals play?

You only have to look at Taylor Walker in the SANFL and AFL to realise just how big the difference is. Send him back to Norwood next week, and he'll kick a bag.

You only have to look at Taylor Walker in the SANFL and AFL to realise just how big the difference is. Send him back to Norwood next week, and he'll kick a bag.

Bit hard for Taylor to kick a bag from centre wing but?

Play him out of the goal square and he may kick 3 or 4.

However, the gap between the SANFL is enormous – it’s too big to place a measurement on.

Interesting one. Some players have been very rusty first game back. Johncock on the other hand was ok today despite having no games under his belt.

I think it is easier to come back into the AFL after injury and play in the backlines than it is in the forward line. You don't have to have the same read of the game or touch as a defender. You can follow your man to the ball and there are always a few cheap possessions to be had to get you started, whereas up forward you are the one who has to make and create, and all possessions need to be won under duress.

Perhaps we need to consider starting our underdone guys in the back pocket or across half back to get them started? Won't suit everyone obviously but something to consider perhaps.

I tried to fit that in somewhere, but gave up in the end. Glad someone got it in there :p

Being truthful and without the flippancy of where a player was played today, your theory is right but. :thumbsu:

Bit hard for Taylor to kick a bag from centre wing but?

Play him out of the goal square and he may kick 3 or 4.

However, the gap between the SANFL is enormous – it’s too big to place a measurement on.

That would mean not playing Burton there and Craig isnt about to move Burton away for a 19 year old.

That would mean not playing Burton there and Craig isnt about to move Burton away for a 19 year old.

Heaven forbid. I would be shocked if that occurred.

why would we play a 19 year old kid out of the goal square who can kick it 50+ meters with good accuracy when we can play a 33 year old with suspect hamstrings, knees and quads and cannot penetrate his kick over 30 + meters. :eek:

you're just talking rubbish now.:cool:

NC we trust. :thumbsu:

Didn't Fergus Watts, who was in and out of the Crows team at the time kick 10 goals in a Prelim for the Eagles, get traded to St Kilda and was subsequently never heard of again?

He may have had injuries, not sure but I remember people like Chris McDermott screaming that Adelaide should have demanded a first round pick for him. Whatever Adelaide got for him, they came out on top.

Bottom line, SANFL makes ordinary AFL footballers look better than what they really are.

Watts broke his leg, had numerous surgeries and basically never played again. Not really the sort of example that applies to this thread.

Adam Richardson on the other hand.

Bottom line, SANFL makes ordinary AFL footballers look better than what they really are.

In saying that, just because a youngster is struggling in the SANFL doesn't mean he won't make the grade in the AFL. The game styles are a lot different and the skills a lot better, same with the VFL, WAFL or whatever. The Victorian kids who get drafted mainly come through the TAC Cup where playing against old, hardened men who want to teach the young whipper snappers a lesson doesn't occur. But try telling Jonathon Brown, Luke Hodge or Gary Ablett they missed out on something by not playing with men when they were 15.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Watts broke his leg, had numerous surgeries and basically never played again. Not really the sort of example that applies to this thread.

Adam Richardson on the other hand.

I remember watching Adam Richardson playing in a local Geelong league, kicked 100 goals regularly but couldn't believe he was drafted so late in life by the Crows.

Was Gary Ayres coach then? West Coast tried the same thing with Troy Wilson for the same result, although Wilson at least played a few good games in the AFL.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back