Discussion on Pick #14 - Jake Lever

Remove this Banner Ad

I reckon the Crows nailed it with this pick. The only reason he slid to 14 was because of his knee injury and although I understand that having such an injury at such a young age will mean there is a question mark about his ability to remain healthy, if he does remain healthy and reaches his potential, the Crows may have a better key defender than Talia on their hands.

The way he rebounds the ball reminds me of Nathan Bock and his ability to take that dominating contested mark in defence is something every club would crave to have in their key defenders. He was the captain of Vic Metro in 2013 as an underage player so clearly he has leadership skills oozing out of his ears, from what I've heard out of his mouth, he doesn't appear to be a flight risk, he said he wants to be a Crows player for 10-15 years and prove all the other clubs that passed on him wrong. No doubt he's got the talent and potential, let's hope he stays healthy, reaches his potential and forms one of the most dominant Key defensive combinations with Talia. Let's return to the days when we had the most potent defence in the AFL, that would be awesome.

Sorry Hartigan, for the sake of the club, I hope you can't break back into the team because of Lever.

Most of all I like the fact that we now have two KPDs of genuine height that have grown up playing KPD. Not key forwards who we try moving back, not ruckman who didn't grow enough and need to be shifted, but actual defenders who are used to standing on the biggest bodied opposition forward.

bit concerned Jake lever has already had a knee recon....hmmm.

Clearly it's a concern and a roll of the dice selecting him. Of course the other factor is if he remains healthy and reaches his potential, we've probably picked a better key defender than Talia at number 14. Oglivie could go down as the Crows greatest recruiter ahead of Rendell with this pick.

I reckon the Crows nailed it with this pick. The only reason he slid to 14 was because of his knee injury and although I understand that having such an injury at such a young age will mean there is a question mark about his ability to remain healthy, if he does remain healthy and reaches his potential, the Crows may have a better key defender than Talia on their hands.

The way he rebounds the ball reminds me of Nathan Bock and his ability to take that dominating contested mark in defence is something every club would crave to have in their key defenders. He was the captain of Vic Metro in 2013 as an underage player so clearly he has leadership skills oozing out of his ears, from what I've heard out of his mouth, he doesn't appear to be a flight risk, he said he wants to be a Crows player for 10-15 years and prove all the other clubs that passed on him wrong. No doubt he's got the talent and potential, let's hope he stays healthy, reaches his potential and forms one of the most dominant Key defensive combinations with Talia. Let's return to the days when we had the most potent defence in the AFL, that would be awesome.

Sorry Hartigan, for the sake of the club, I hope you can't break back into the team because of Lever.
I think, ideally, there is room for all 3

Clearly it's a concern and a roll of the dice selecting him. Of course the other factor is if he remains healthy and reaches his potential, we've probably picked a better key defender than Talia at number 14. Oglivie could go down as the Crows greatest recruiter ahead of Rendell with this pick.
Rendell surely would've taken Lever if he was still around?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I think it should be a good internal competition. Hartigan's mature aged, strong bodied, has a ton of experience at state level as well as some in the AFL. He probably can become a decent AFL player and realistically he's the only viable second KPD option we have in 2015.

It's all on Lever to displace him. His potential looks insane. You couldn't watch his highlights without becoming really excited. But he'll need time to come back from his injury and get to the fitness, bulk and form standard required for AFL.

I think, ideally, there is room for all 3
Absolutely, and I believe Hartigan is well worth nurturing. He is beastly strong, quick (contrary to rubbish put forward on this board) and can kick long and accurately (again contrary to how some judge him). His decision-making was mostly good apart from some glaring howlers, but hey, the guy's played 10 games.

Seems to have the perfect attitude, but does anyone know how he did in the agility test at the Draft combine as that would give a good indication of how his knee is recovering?

Skippos ?

I don't specifically recall but I'm pretty sure he only did straight line type exercises there. Would be a little risky for very little gain to do an agility test; the exact kind of thing that could hurt an ACL.

Remove this Banner Ad

Discussion on Pick #14 - Jake Lever

Remove this Banner Ad

Back