D2 Division 2 - 2012

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
The way the Gryphons moved the ball against us (short and wide) and their skill level by foot I don't think it would make any difference who they had sitting in their forward line. I certainly wouldn't want to play key forward for them. And their mid's are well undersized compared to most other sides at this level. They have a crack and will be competitive in this grade this year but I cant see them challenging the top 4-5 sides when it matters.
I thought Therry would be the side to lock up 4th spot going off results, until last weekend with Old Paradians throwing their name back in the mix.. Will be a very interesting season with the battle for the 4th spot and the relegation battle.

Couldnt agree more, although the weekends game was like watching a different game before and after half time. Monash should have been in front by alot more at half time with some very poor kicking. Were the better side until the last 5-10 min of the 2nd qtr.

In the 2nd half monash never looked like winning, but were only down by 8pts before a goal on the final bell. Both sides will not trouble the 4 this season IMO.

Might as well have a go at Round 7.
Monash v Therry : Therry if Monash persist with short passing game
St Mary's v Emmaus: Based on performances to date Emmaus
Old Parade v Eltham: This will test whether my theory about Eltham is correct. They should win however the margin will depend on how they play the postage stamp ground
La Trobe v BT: BT by a lot. Big ground won't worry their runners
PA v SMD: Only home team for the round. PA comfortably.

Monash vs Therry - Therry by 23, should be a good game but Therry too strong

SMS vs Emmaus - Big game, Emmaus for mine, SMS haven't shown anything, Emmaus had a good win last week and will get up by 30

PA vs SMD - pretty obvious

LaTrobe vs BT - pretty obvious

OP vs Eltham - OP by 15, match of the round, should be a cracker, OP will go in with confidence after knocking off BT and will get home

5 out of 5 last weekend. Therry ran with Bulleen for 3/4 only to go down by 6 goals in the end. I think this is a bit of a trend we are starting to see and as the season goes on and teams get fitter, the gap between Bulleen and the rest of the comp will lessen. The Ant boys obviously had a big preseason and have caught everyone off guard but at this stage don't think they are invincible.

Progressive 20/25

Emmaus vs Monash - 26 points. Emmaus obviously have some players coming back and are playing some good footy. This week will be their opportunity to see how much they have improved. They need to do more than beat the bottom teams if they wish to have a real tilt at finals. I think this week they will be brought back to earth, as Flowerday loves the wet weather and will help the Gryphons across the line. Match of the round.

Bulleen vs Parade - 42 points. Parade will be half way through the toughest 3 weeks of the year and will not be any closer to finals. It's good and well to think they are finals contenders but only for that fourth spot which will be decided when they play Monash. Not much to say here, Bulleen will run out comfortable winners and expect the dynamic duo in Cherbakof and Khouri to kick another bag between them.

Therry vs Latrobe - 12 points. Therry have failed to impress so far this year only being able to beat a couple of lowly teams. In saying that they would be happy to take it up to Bulleen for 3/4. If they can keep that form up for a full game they will win here. La Trobe seem to have a similar issue with running games out and wont have enough gas to catch up in the last quarter. Crotty driving from the backline will keep the Therry boys in finals contention.

South Melbourne vs Eltham - 45 points. Souths are looking at facing the drop here as Eltham will be strong winners away from home. They don't have anyone to match the Turtles talls or strong ball getters. Richardson is a gun and whether he kicks goals or not will have a field day for Eltham.

Prahran vs St Marys - 52 points. St Mary's wont know what has hit them this week and the question will be how many goals Sleight will kick. I'm guessing 8, which will put him well ahead in the chase for the Coleman medal. St Mary's have some good young kids but there bodies wont stand up well to the much stronger Prahran and am guessing they will have some sore boys come Saturday night.

Good luck this weekend.

A couple of unexpected losses on the weekend. Bulleen was a big surprise and I didn't expect it to be Parade to be the first to topple them. I did expect them to come back to the field as I felt the writing was on the wall after been pushed by Therry for 3 quarters. Just didn't expect it so soon. As for Monash was a game they shouldn't have lost. Looking at the scoreboard they have real problems in front of goal.

Progressive 23/30

Monash vs Therry - 16 points. If it wasn't for the other big game on, this would be match of the round. Therry's defensive style of play doesn't net them the big scores, whilst as stated, Monash have struggled in front of goal this year. If the Gryphons had their radar on this year we would have a much different ladder. I expect a fairly low scoring affair. The loser of this game will struggle to make finals with so many teams in contention this year. Egglestone will be the man to stop for Monash.

St Mary's vs Emmaus - 22 points. St Mary's is another side that has really struggled up forward with the lowest score of any team so far this year. It does not bode well for them. Emmaus are coming off a confidence boosting win and if they get over the line here, it puts them in the mix for finals. Beluszar is very hard to stop up forward with his mix of height and agility and should kick a few this week.

Parade vs Eltham - 4 points. Match of the round. The winner here gets a game clear on 3rd. The loser has to battle it out with everyone else. Should be a cracking game with both teams hard at the ball with so much on the line. My head says Eltham but after last weeks stirring effort my heart says Parade. Parade's shut down style of play will make it hard for wither team to kick a big score and it will be close all day. When Giddings is on Parade are on and for Eltham I expect a strong game from Tom Wenborn who seems to lift for the big games.

La Trobe vs Bulleen - 45 points. I fear for La Trobe this week as Bulleen will be smarting after last weeks loss and have something to prove again. I'd expect big games from the likes of Wallace, Khouri and Cherbakof who seemed to be shit down well last week.

Prahran vs South - 49 points. I'd suggest Prahran have just slipped in to favouritism for the flag. They've been strong all year except for the first up effort against Bulleen which suggests very little. They've ignored the early hype and have just gotten on with the job as they'll do this week. South's haven't fired a shot and whilst they can kick big enough scores are lacking the belief to win a game. I expect a big score from Sleight and as usual Musster and Pell will be hard to stop.

Good luck this week.

Round 6 Preview

Monash over Emmaus by 14 Pts ('8 pointer' where Gryphs should be suited by the heavy conditions)
Bulleen over Paradians by 61 Pts (The juggernaut set to continue)
Therry over Trobers by 38 pts (Margin conservative due to the wet).
Turtles over Districts by 28 Pts (Too many guns at Eltham)
Prahran over SMS by 85 Pts (Surely this will be one way traffic)

Round 6 Review

3/5 (20/30 cumulative) was a fair return where low scores and paradoxically big goal hauls were the order of the day. Suddenly the Ants are no longer unbeatable! Pundits all around the VAFA have been singing their praises all season (me included) yet a truly wet day and heavy ground may be their ‘bête noire’ as the Raiders showed them what relentless pressure is all about. Giddings and Dore put their bodies on the line time and time again and any team coached from the Dave Boundy school of thought relish these heavier conditions. Great work from Parade who were tipped by many to be a contender, but have had a belated start. A wet winter may be all they to propel them into the final four come August.

The other big winners at the weekend were Emmaus who played far more productive and precise football than their combatants at Bennettswood. No Gryphon backman could quell high flying Chris Belkuszar as injuries to the Gryphs forced old man Wells forward.St Leo’s are back in the mix, but are in desperate need of improving their percentage.

The Trobers made Therry work very hard to secure the points at Oak Park, Mick Costello’s ‘Michelle’ proving crucial in a low scoring affair.

The Turtles had the game sewn up at half time at Lindsay Hassett, but went to sleep in the second half as South showed far more resolve. Sab Ciavola’s seven was the defining stat.

Whilst at Toorak Park, it was one way traffic (as expected) with Adam Sleight booting 8 and Jimmy Musster at his best.

Round 7 Preview

Gryphs over Therry by 6 Pts (Both teams were largely disappointing last time out and this is arguably the toughest match to select for the weekend. Get the feeling that the Therry boys may struggle first time out at Monash’s odd shaped ground, yet the Gryphs are severely injury depleted and will have to play four uncompromising quarters to get the points. Lee Wells on Mick Costello will be the pivotal battle and I am tipping the veteran Monash defender to get the job done and hence influence the result the Gryphs way).
Emmaus over SMS by 22 Pts (Certainly a danger game for Emmaus, but signs from Bennettswood have been positive of late and the combine have been fair at best this season. Chris Beluszar to boot a half dozen and get his team over the line).
Paradians over Eltham by 11 Pts (Match of the day for sure and I am going to go with current form. A crushing win over Bulleen is far better than a second half fade out against a cellar dweller. The question is “Will Boundy's men be able to keep a lid on it?” No doubt the Turtles will be looking for a four quarter effort and will need one if they are to win at Bundoora. I suspect the home side will keep Ciavola and Hargraves relatively quiet and hold on).
Bulleen over Latrobe by 45 Pts (The Bullants on the rebound will be a sight to behold, but The Trobers were far from disgraced at Therry and will at least make this an arm wrestle in the first half. Class to prevail however).
PA’s over SMD by 77 Pts (Perhaps I have been spruiking the wrong team in recent weeks as the Four Blues are looking as good as anyone in the comp. When Adam Sleight fires and the likes of Musster and Pell deliver the ball with precision, they are extremely hard to beat and will have no trouble in this one).

Good luck to all

Quasi

Monash Gryphons vs Therry Penola >> A pivotal game with the loser starting to slip off the pace for a finals spot, and a real toss-up to boot. Monash seem to struggle to kick big scores so going with the Oak Park boys.
St Mary's Salesian vs Emmaus St Leo's >> Where has the week one form gone for the Ferndale boys as that's their only onfield win? Think the Leo-the-Lions can get up here and get some distance from the relegation zone.
Old Paradians vs Old Eltham >> Match of the Round and the start of a local rivalry playing for the inaugural Plenty Valley Cup with the winner establishing a break on challengers for a finals spot. Tipped the Raiders last week in their big win and back at home can continue the good form.
La Trobe University vs Bulleen Templestowe >> The Bullants will be keen to get back on the winners list after again failing to overcome the Raiders, as per previous encounters. They should be able to handle a struggling Students team here.
Prahran vs South Melbourne >> On paper this looks like the other mismatch for the round and the Two Blues should cull the Swans at one of the best grounds in the comp.

Interested spectator at Therry v Gryphs. Home team did it again. Fluffed around in first half and were down and out. Went direct in 2nd half and should have got the chocolates. When will they learn?

SMS main man kicked 16.2 yesterday to singlehandedly win them the game

One of the best displays of marking and goal kicking I have seen. Heavily scragged by 2-4 players in the 2nd qtr and either took the mark or got a free kick and kicked 7.

SMS main man kicked 16.2 yesterday to singlehandedly win them the game

One of the best displays of marking and goal kicking I have seen. Heavily scragged by 2-4 players in the 2nd qtr and either took the mark or got a free kick and kicked 7.

That is a pretty amazing effort.

From what I saw from him previously he got a lot of it but couldn't kick straight to save himself. Obviously sorted that issue out.

Watched Prahran for only the 2nd time this season against SM Districts and they looked in very good nick to me - am aware that Districts are struggling this year but two-blues still showed they will be competitive come finals. Miserly defence, tough onballers and a centreline that keeps pushing the ball forward - Pell a gun. Having said that I expect their next match against Monash to be very willing as the Gryphs always appear to match up well - if the Gryphs can learn to convert more of their chances on their home turf this game should be close. Would like to know from someone from SMD what they thought of Prahran on Sat.

All quiet on the Div 2 forum. Don't you like the new format or have clubs put the foot down on posting opinions. As I have no allegiances Tips for this weeks round are:
PA to account for Monash. The weather and Monash's game plan will determine the margin. If Gryphs kick long they will be in it for a while.
Eltham to continue on their merry way at the expense of Therry
SMD to play 4 quarters of footy and defeat St Marys
Old Paradians to beat La Trobe. Closeness of result will depend on how well, or otherwise, Paradians handle the much larger ground.
BT will be too strong for Emmaus

A couple of unexpected losses on the weekend. Bulleen was a big surprise and I didn't expect it to be Parade to be the first to topple them. I did expect them to come back to the field as I felt the writing was on the wall after been pushed by Therry for 3 quarters. Just didn't expect it so soon. As for Monash was a game they shouldn't have lost. Looking at the scoreboard they have real problems in front of goal.

Progressive 23/30

Monash vs Therry - 16 points. If it wasn't for the other big game on, this would be match of the round. Therry's defensive style of play doesn't net them the big scores, whilst as stated, Monash have struggled in front of goal this year. If the Gryphons had their radar on this year we would have a much different ladder. I expect a fairly low scoring affair. The loser of this game will struggle to make finals with so many teams in contention this year. Egglestone will be the man to stop for Monash.

St Mary's vs Emmaus - 22 points. St Mary's is another side that has really struggled up forward with the lowest score of any team so far this year. It does not bode well for them. Emmaus are coming off a confidence boosting win and if they get over the line here, it puts them in the mix for finals. Beluszar is very hard to stop up forward with his mix of height and agility and should kick a few this week.

Parade vs Eltham - 4 points. Match of the round. The winner here gets a game clear on 3rd. The loser has to battle it out with everyone else. Should be a cracking game with both teams hard at the ball with so much on the line. My head says Eltham but after last weeks stirring effort my heart says Parade. Parade's shut down style of play will make it hard for wither team to kick a big score and it will be close all day. When Giddings is on Parade are on and for Eltham I expect a strong game from Tom Wenborn who seems to lift for the big games.

La Trobe vs Bulleen - 45 points. I fear for La Trobe this week as Bulleen will be smarting after last weeks loss and have something to prove again. I'd expect big games from the likes of Wallace, Khouri and Cherbakof who seemed to be shit down well last week.

Prahran vs South - 49 points. I'd suggest Prahran have just slipped in to favouritism for the flag. They've been strong all year except for the first up effort against Bulleen which suggests very little. They've ignored the early hype and have just gotten on with the job as they'll do this week. South's haven't fired a shot and whilst they can kick big enough scores are lacking the belief to win a game. I expect a big score from Sleight and as usual Musster and Pell will be hard to stop.

Good luck this week.

Welcome back all. I hope everyone is refreshed after the break and the bodies are healed to take on the rest of the season.

Progressive 26/35

Monash vs Prahran - 44 points. D3 Grand Final rematch should be an interesting game but Prahran will easily run away with this one. Gryphons continue to struggle with goals and will have a bit job stopping Sleight at the other end.

Eltham vs Therry - 12 points. Match of the Round. Really didn't know who to tip here so gave it to the home team. I think Therry have some good enough backs to stop Ciavola but Richardson is having a great season and will be harder to contain. I expect a tight tussle through the midfield but think Therry will tire quicker on the big ground with the Turtles holding on by a couple.

St Marys vs South - 23 points. Most times I tip St Mary's they lose and if I tip against them they win. Autio's last game must have been amazing as he single handedly won the game off his own boot. If this is a turning point and he can continue to kick goals, St Mary's fortunes should improve. South's have been disappointing this year and expect that to continue this week.

La Trobe vs Parade - 16 points. Parade have struggled up forward this year but their defense has been very solid. They play like the Dockers of D2. It will be harder to shut down La Trobe on the bigger ground and like last round on the big ground wont kick a big score. But will be enough to tackle La Trobe and will be determined as a win here will get them in the four. Will need the likes of Kandilakis, Spitty and Giddings to be on their game to make sure of this one.

Bulleen vs Emmaus - 56 points. Emmaus are up and down like a yo yo. Bulleen are slowly being brought back to the pack as their scores aren't as big as the start of the season. But they have nothing to fear here as the fitter, stronger bodies of the Ants will prevail comfortably. Emmaus will struggle to contain the likes of Cherbakof, Khouri and now Follacchio who has been kicking plenty in the reserves and first game in the seniors bags a lazy four.

Good luck this week.

Round 7 Preview

Gryphs over Therry by 6 Pts (Both teams were largely disappointing last time out and this is arguably the toughest match to select for the weekend. Get the feeling that the Therry boys may struggle first time out at Monash’s odd shaped ground, yet the Gryphs are severely injury depleted and will have to play four uncompromising quarters to get the points. Lee Wells on Mick Costello will be the pivotal battle and I am tipping the veteran Monash defender to get the job done and hence influence the result the Gryphs way).
Emmaus over SMS by 22 Pts (Certainly a danger game for Emmaus, but signs from Bennettswood have been positive of late and the combine have been fair at best this season. Chris Beluszar to boot a half dozen and get his team over the line).
Paradians over Eltham by 11 Pts (Match of the day for sure and I am going to go with current form. A crushing win over Bulleen is far better than a second half fade out against a cellar dweller. The question is “Will Boundy's men be able to keep a lid on it?” No doubt the Turtles will be looking for a four quarter effort and will need one if they are to win at Bundoora. I suspect the home side will keep Ciavola and Hargraves relatively quiet and hold on).
Bulleen over Latrobe by 45 Pts (The Bullants on the rebound will be a sight to behold, but The Trobers were far from disgraced at Therry and will at least make this an arm wrestle in the first half. Class to prevail however).
PA’s over SMD by 77 Pts (Perhaps I have been spruiking the wrong team in recent weeks as the Four Blues are looking as good as anyone in the comp. When Adam Sleight fires and the likes of Musster and Pell deliver the ball with precision, they are extremely hard to beat and will have no trouble in this one).

Good luck to all

Quasi[/quote]

Round 7 Review

3/5 (23/35 cumulative) was a slightly disappointing return in a round where ac couple of results surprised. None more so than the spirited performance of the Saints against a lackluster Emmaus who have now pulled well clear of the drop zone. The performance of key forward Sam Autio was arguably one of the greatest this division has ever seen; his unstoppable performance was Lockett-esque and was able to get his team over the line. A close contest at ECR saw poor conversion from the Home side as Therry took full advantage to win a close one. The Gryphons were within striking distance at the final change, but were not able to bridge the gap. Matt Costello the difference between the two teams. The Turtles dispelled any rumours they are not a legitimate contender with a hard fought 20 point win at Parade. After being jumped early, Eltham settled and controlled play after quarter time in an even performance. The top two did what good teams do and disposed of far inferior opposition with ease. Both games were all but over at quarter time as South and Latrobe’s position looks more and more perilous each week.

Round 8 Preview

Prahran over the Gryphs by 21 Pts (I don’t expect the Four Blues to show their old D3 rivals any favours in the replay of last year’s Grand Final. One has to consider that PA’s have only lost once in two seasons and know how to win the close ones. Players of the calibre of Matt Fletcher will ensure the Gryphs remain competitive, but they are not in the same class as their adversaries).
Turtles over Therry by 19 Pts (Should be a highly competitive game, but if Eltham can get over the Oak Park boys, they can put a two game break on their opponents in true ‘8 point’ style. The Matt Attack, Feben & Crooks to be the difference).
SMS over South by 14 Pts (Such a crucial fixture for the Bloods who simply have to win to remain in touch, but conversely a combine win can see the relegation battle all but sealed for the year. I feel the latter is more likely, but not without South pushing them all the way).
Parade over Latrobe by 44 Pts (Bundoora derbies are often highly competitive and close affairs, but the gulf in talent this year points to this one being anything but. I have misjudged The Trobers for much of the season, but hopefully no more. They are winless with a percentage of just 48, so how could one select them here…)
Bullants over Emmaus by 57 Pts (It is unlucky for Emmaus that they face Bulleen a week after one of their weakest performances for the year, as they will receive no mercy from the home side. Expect the Ants to put this one away early and cruise to a 10 goal win. Justin Khouri to bag a half D).

Good luck to all

Quasi

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Monash Gryphons vs Prahran - The Two Blues haven't put a foot wrong since the opening game and should be able to repeat their 2011 GF win over the Gryphons.
Old Eltham vs Therry Penola - An eight-pointer here with the leafy toffies looking to establish their finals spot at the expense of the oak park boys.
St Marys Salesian vs South Melbourne - Even this early an opportunity for the Saints to kick away from the relegation zone and effectively assign the Swans to the drop for next season.
La Trobe University vs Old Paradians - The Raiders are fuming at the one that got away last round and won't have any mercy on the struggling students in the inaugural "Plenty Road/Route 86 Cup".
Bulleen Templestowe vs Emmaus St Leos - Can't see the Bullants tripping up here against the Leo-the-Lions.

All quiet on the Div 2 forum. Don't you like the new format or have clubs put the foot down on posting opinions. As I have no allegiances Tips for this weeks round are:
PA to account for Monash. The weather and Monash's game plan will determine the margin. If Gryphs kick long they will be in it for a while.
What have you got to say now Skeed!!!

Saw the 2nd half PA/Monash game and to talk about how ordinary PA boys were would only detract from how well Monash played - winners all over the ground and Prahran soundly beaten - Monash on this performance looked likely finalists and PA completely the opposite and didn't look the same team I saw the game before definitely as a result of playing a much better opponent - try to keep a lid on it Johnny but certainly was a good scalp to get - finals not out of the question for Monash IMO from what I saw.

Saw the 2nd half PA/Monash game and to talk about how ordinary PA boys were would only detract from how well Monash played - winners all over the ground and Prahran soundly beaten - Monash on this performance looked likely finalists and PA completely the opposite and didn't look the same team I saw the game before definitely as a result of playing a much better opponent - try to keep a lid on it Johnny but certainly was a good scalp to get - finals not out of the question for Monash IMO from what I saw.

This weeks game will go a long way to deciding finals.

Johnny I have to eat humble pie. Not only a win but a convincing one at that. I don't think having Pell would have got PA much closer either. What was the difference this week? Had to be more than simply home ground advantage.
I think Monash got it right with the match ups and game style. And also converted well. But it probably boils down to the fact that had Monash lost the season would have been all over at 3-5.

Tips for the weekened

Seniors
Emmaus St Leos
vs
Eltham Collegians
10 points

Old Paradians
vs
Monash Gryphons
6 points

Therry Penola
vs
St Mary's Salesian
22 points

South Melbourne Districts
vs
Bulleen Templestowe
44 points

Prahran Assumption
vs
La Trobe University
30 points
Reserves
Emmaus St Leos
vs
Eltham Collegians
20 points

Old Paradians
vs
Monash Gryphons
3 points

Therry Penola
vs
St Mary's Salesian
20 points

South Melbourne Districts
vs
Bulleen Templestowe
24 points

Prahran Assumption
vs
La Trobe University
2 points

Work commitments over the next 2 days means I have to post tips today. Apart for 1 game it appears to be a bit of a lop sided round.
Eltham to easily account for Emmaus.
Monash (sorry Johnny I am on the band wagon) to defeat Paradians on the postage stamp. Even a short passing game will get them from end to end in two and a half kicks. Crucial game in terms of the table.
Therry over St Marys easily.
SMD to be rolled by BT.
PA to do likewise over La Trobe.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back