D3 Division 3 2011

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Round 14 Preview

Wicks over Gryphs by 3 Pts (Every fixture this week has some bearing on the finals or relegation, but this one has the pundits salivating in anticipation. The Wicks are in such resounding form that Declan Healy was interviewed on SEN in order to gain some insight into the Irish Connection at EP2. Rumour has it that none other than Mark Fine, will be an honorary guest of the Wicks and may umpire the reserves. On this basis, how could one go past the D3 ‘media darlings’, who have had the wood on their fierce local rivals for some time? There is no way the Gryphons will allow their opponents to jump them like they did five weeks back at ECR, but I feel that Elsternwick’s finest such as Grant Cameron and Craig Mahony will do just enough to retain the Murphy-Wells. Should be cracker played out in front of a passionate, large crowd).
Prahran over Pies by 44 Pts (The last two weeks have proven that the Four Blues are beatable, but only if the stars align, something I doubt will occur at Toorak Park on Saturday. Whilst West were most impressive last time out, they simply do not have the firepower to seriously trouble the home side and will fall well short. Adam Sleight to kick six or seven.
UHS over Ivanhoe by 3 Pts (This is a real $1.90 each of two game and I will side with the home team for no real reason as Princes Park is foreign to both. Uni High have not had a great record in these ‘crunch’ games over the years, but they simply must win and if results go their way they may have a one game cushion in fifth place come 5pm Saturday. The Hoes will fight tooth and nail, but may fall agonisingly short).
Albert Park over the Rams by 6 Pts (Should be another pulsating contest this time between teams fighting the drop. Even though the Falcons were very disappointing against Uni High, they can virtually relegate Mt Lilydale if they win. Expect a fiery contest between two passionate clubs however, Dylan Muscat and Mick Boyd will be a little too classy in the mud).
Yarra Valley over the House by 13 Pts (The Bushrangers will be made to work for the four points and I sense a real chance of an upset win for the home side. Paul Edwards may have to boot seven or eight, but Powerhouse have been quite impressive over the past fortnight and still are mindful of the drop zone. Cam Britt to also shine in the battle of the key forwards).
Kew over Hawks by 8 Pts (I expect the Bears to come out firing after last week’s sub-par performance in game they simply have to win to stay in touch. Hawthorn will also harbour finals hopes, but their percentage is pitiful and they allowed the lowly ranked Rams to still kick a reasonable score. Adam Brazzale should appreciate the lack of key defenders and get his boys over the line. Not without a scare from the enigmatic Hawks though).

Round 14 Review

4/6 (53/84 cumulative) was a reasonable return in such an unpredictable section as ours. Once again I underestimated the resolve of the Rams who showed great character to keep the relegation battle open with a strong win against the Falcons at home. Albert Park would be most disappointed with their effort as victory may have meant survival and certainly would’ve condemned their opponents. Uni High were gallant, but ultimately unsuccessful against a dogged Ivanhoe who ensured that the combine face a mini elimination final each week from hereon in. However, the biggest winners of the weekend were the Wicks, who retained the Murphy-Wells Cup in emphatic fashion, completely blowing the Gryphons off the park with a clinical display of football. Many of Elsternwick’s Past Players were in attendance to witness perhaps their finest quarter of football in a decade (the second term and Justin Hunter unstoppable with 10 goals. Prahran and Yarra did what they do best and won comfortably, the ease in which the Bushrangers disposed of Powerhouse at Ross Gregory was perhaps the only surprise. Kew got their mojo back against a lacklustre Hawks and what must have pleased Ian Aitken the most was that they did it without any significant contribution from Andrew Brazzale.

Round 15 Preview

Wicks over Prahran by 5 Pts (Call me crazy if you will, but I reckon the Wicks are playing just about as well as anyone and if they can play as clinically as they did against the Gryphs, I think the Four Blues may be conquered. The ground is sure to be heavy in the centre and the Wicks play this a treat. Daniel Sceney and the Mahoney’s should fire and just who can stop the red hot Hunter. Still, Prahran have a winning culture established and will not wilt like other opponents at EP2. With Christoforo back and firing they will go close but fall perhaps a kick or two short… Should be a cracker).
Yarra over Hoes by 36 Pts (Can’t see how anyone can get close to the Bushrangers at Domeney with Britt and Yeo carving it up. However, one must give credit to the Hoes as they are an extremely well-coached club that play the percentages and know their team processes and structures well. Hence, this could turn into a bit of a defensive arm wrestle early on, but ultimately class will prevail.
West over Mt Lilydale by 31 Pts (The Rams breathed new life into the relegation battle after their strong win last week, however, their road trips have been poor and West have too much at stake to drop this one. Very hard to line up form for these two sides but players such as Matty Barron should ensure the Magpies stay alive for one more week).
House over Kew by 11 Pts (Even though Kew has a finals berth on the line, the House are fighting to avoid relegation and this is one they simply have to win. Not sure the Bears have anyone to quell the influence of spearhead, Paul Edwards, but even if they can, Pikey’s men should show enough).
Gryphs over UHS by 12 Pts (Monash were very disappointing last time out, but their opponents have arguably been disappointing for well over a month. The Gryphs are always hard to beat at home and should win as long as they don’t squander opportunities in front of goals as has been their want this season. Expect this to be won in the midfield with Mitch Welsh and Sammy Sheehan having big games for the home side).
Falcons over Hawks by 6 Pts (I honestly haven’t the slightest clue as to who may win this one. All I do know, is neither side can be relied upon with any certainty. It may well be a case of whether Dan Lauletta can assert any influence on the contest for the Hawks, but perhaps the home ground advantage and the dreaded ‘R’ word will resonate more strongly and allow Albert Park to secure the four points.

Good luck to all

Quasi

The results over the weekend confirmed what we already knew after about six rounds...Prahran and Yarra Valley will fight it out for the premiership.

However, the relegation battle is not so clear.

Mt Lilydale look doomed, but who will join them?

My money is on West Brunswick.

The results over the weekend confirmed what we already knew after about six rounds...Prahran and Yarra Valley will fight it out for the premiership.

However, the relegation battle is not so clear.

Mt Lilydale look doomed, but who will join them?

My money is on West Brunswick.
Yep she is all over. I reckon its a little disappointing when 1 or 2 sides dominate the year like these two have. The rest just make up the numbers.
UH will definitely finish 5th. Hows the luck of that side only playing the top 2 once in the year. While Elsternwick play them twice. Cant see how thats fair.

Yep she is all over. I reckon its a little disappointing when 1 or 2 sides dominate the year like these two have. The rest just make up the numbers.
UH will definitely finish 5th. Hows the luck of that side only playing the top 2 once in the year. While Elsternwick play them twice. Cant see how thats fair.

Powerhouse will knock off UHS next week......they are no certaintly to finish 5th

What would you propose for a 'fair' system? 18 rounds and 12 teams, always going to be hard luck stories!

12 teams into 18 rounds is never going to work and that is why D3 and D4 can throw up these scenarios however who knows what teams will be like when the draw is made.

Johnny - by the looks of results though you were well in the hunt at half time?

This wasn't your master plan was it Johnny? Given the Gryphons track record against the Wicks...

What would you propose for a 'fair' system? 18 rounds and 12 teams, always going to be hard luck stories!

Just the way it goes I would suggest. The hoes get the two top teams 'twice' as well, but that's just tough luck I would think. Everyone is playing for promotion and a flag - so you have to play them sometime. If you are playing for 5th or 7th ....then that's a waste of time.

I suppose the real 'hard luck' is when a side gets demoted by 4 points or % and they have played the higher teams more often than others who 'just stayed up'.

But, that being said - not alot between 12th - 3rd - with alot of mixed results or some very close games. I think we have won about 5 games this year by under 10 points - so we have had our share of good fortune along the way.

I have said for some time that Yarra are the second best team in it - BUT the finals may throw up a surprise or two still I think.

Chump.

Has anyone else heard the same rumour I have in that D3 finals this season will be played at Scammell Reserve once again?

i see where your coming from but i think they only play mt lilydale once someone was telling me so it may even it self out a little.

the only answer is find another 6 clubs and have a d5

This wasn't your master plan was it Johnny? Given the Gryphons track record against the Wicks...
Terry S - I dont think the Gryphons would be too scared playing the wicks on a big ground in finals. The wicks are full of smart old players who would struggle on big grounds.
That being said, I would think that the Gryphons would prefer to play UH.

But here's hoping the Wicks can knock off Ivanhoe this week and give the Gryphons a sniff of 3rd place.

12 teams into 18 rounds is never going to work and that is why D3 and D4 can throw up these scenarios however who knows what teams will be like when the draw is made.

Johnny - by the looks of results though you were well in the hunt at half time?
How about putting out the first 11 rounds. Then after round 11 putting out the remaining 7 rounds based on some reasonably fair mathematical formula?

As for that game results could have gone either way. Again more scoring shots for the Gryphons who I'd say are the worst set shot side in the comp.

Terry S - I dont think the Gryphons would be too scared playing the wicks on a big ground in finals. The wicks are full of smart old players who would struggle on big grounds.
That being said, I would think that the Gryphons would prefer to play UH.

But here's hoping the Wicks can knock off Ivanhoe this week and give the Gryphons a sniff of 3rd place.

MCG big enough??? Surely Monash would be able to run away scared and find some space on the G.
Great round of footy coming up this week pity about the terrible weather we will recieve.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

MCG big enough??? Surely Monash would be able to run away scared and find some space on the G.
Great round of footy coming up this week pity about the terrible weather we will recieve.

pity about the terrible bog that Prahran will have to swim in this week, AP still missing (believed drowned) 3 players from 2 weeks back

pity about the terrible weather we will recieve.

pity about the terrible bog that Prahran will have to swim in this week, AP still missing (believed drowned) 3 players from 2 weeks back Today 08:45
pity about the terrible weather we will recieve.
pity about the terrible bog that Prahran will have to swim in this week, AP still missing (believed drowned) 3 players from 2 weeks back

A few showers is the forecast. Sounds like most other saturdays this year.

Wicks over Prahran by 5 Pts (Call me crazy if you will, but I reckon the Wicks are playing just about as well as anyone and if they can play as clinically as they did against the Gryphs, I think the Four Blues may be conquered. The ground is sure to be heavy in the centre and the Wicks play this a treat. Daniel Sceney and the Mahoney’s should fire and just who can stop the red hot Hunter. Still, Prahran have a winning culture established and will not wilt like other opponents at EP2. With Christoforo back and firing they will go close but fall perhaps a kick or two short… Should be a cracker).
Yarra over Hoes by 36 Pts (Can’t see how anyone can get close to the Bushrangers at Domeney with Britt and Yeo carving it up. However, one must give credit to the Hoes as they are an extremely well-coached club that play the percentages and know their team processes and structures well. Hence, this could turn into a bit of a defensive arm wrestle early on, but ultimately class will prevail.
West over Mt Lilydale by 31 Pts (The Rams breathed new life into the relegation battle after their strong win last week, however, their road trips have been poor and West have too much at stake to drop this one. Very hard to line up form for these two sides but players such as Matty Barron should ensure the Magpies stay alive for one more week).
House over Kew by 11 Pts (Even though Kew has a finals berth on the line, the House are fighting to avoid relegation and this is one they simply have to win. Not sure the Bears have anyone to quell the influence of spearhead, Paul Edwards, but even if they can, Pikey’s men should show enough).
Gryphs over UHS by 12 Pts (Monash were very disappointing last time out, but their opponents have arguably been disappointing for well over a month. The Gryphs are always hard to beat at home and should win as long as they don’t squander opportunities in front of goals as has been their want this season. Expect this to be won in the midfield with Mitch Welsh and Sammy Sheehan having big games for the home side).
Falcons over Hawks by 6 Pts (I honestly haven’t the slightest clue as to who may win this one. All I do know, is neither side can be relied upon with any certainty. It may well be a case of whether Dan Lauletta can assert any influence on the contest for the Hawks, but perhaps the home ground advantage and the dreaded ‘R’ word will resonate more strongly and allow Albert Park to secure the four points.

Round 15 Review

Another reasonable 4/6 (for 57/90 cumulative). As is my want, I tended to underestimate the resolve of a couple of teams in this unpredictable season. The gap between the ‘Haves’ and ‘Have Nots’ was further defined in the Four Blues impressive display against the Wicks. Never shall I tip against Prahran again this season. I have learned my lesson. Do or die for Elsternwick now as they sit 9% (or 132 points) behind Uni High. Ouch! Monash’s form has been most disappointing of late and East Caulfield Reserve is no longer a fortress as Uni High exploited a distinct lack of passion from the Gryphs to storm home and clinch victory. Monash may limp to the finals, but on this form, will trouble few. The other end of the table is no less arbitrary with the bottom six all in calculation for the drop. West, Powerhouse and Albert Park all won and I suspect this had not occurred previously in 2011. The magnitude of Hawthorn’s loss to the Falcons was particularly bewildering. The Bushrangers easily accounted for the Hoes at Domeney as predicted, but Ivanhoe lost no advantage.

Round 16 Preview

UHS over Kew by 28 Pts (The Bears and Wicks face D-Day and I suspect that the former will be planning their End of Seasons Trip, come Sunday. I can’t put my finger on the secret of the combine’s success, but perhaps the evenness of their team is the defining factor. No superstars, but good honest performers that were demonstrated by 11 individual goalkickers against the Gryphs. The Bears have been less than satisfactory of late and one cannot see them rectifying this in the short term).
Wicks over Hoes by 2 Pts (Elsternwick blew any chance they had of an upset over the ladder leaders last round in the second quarter with three goals nine. Having said this though, their form has been more than adequate and Justin Hunter is arguably in career best form. Added to the mix is a virtual Elimination Final and I feel they will find something. Will be no walk in the park though as the Hoes try to hold on to third place).
Yarra over West by 88 Pts (The Bushrangers may be tempted to rest a few as they cruise to the double chance. No one can seriously see the Pies doing any damage and they must hope that they don’t lose too much percentage to the Hawks. Damien Hooper to be amongst the home side’s best).
Prahran over the Rams by 83 Pts (A close associate of mine offered me good odds on Mt Lilydale booting fewer than two goals for the senior match. I devoured the $2.80 with great haste. The forecast wet conditions will only serve to accentuate the gap between first and twelfth. Cardinal Pell to be amongst the Four Blues finest.
Monash over Hawks by 16 Pts (I will give the Gryphs one more chance as they seek to redeem recent sins. If the home side have Lauletta available this may be a different story, but the likes of Cherian and Madden up forward should prove too much for the Hawks).
Falcons over the House by 6 Pts (I see this one as clear match of the day. ‘To the winners go the spoils’ may be the apt saying come Saturday night as the winner is likely to be safe from relegation. To the loser, comes more despair and angst. Like always, when I select Albert Park, I do so with trepidation, but they may just do enough with Cale Blizzard proving the difference).

Good Luck to all

Quasi

Round 15 Review

Another reasonable 4/6 (for 57/90 cumulative). As is my want, I tended to underestimate the resolve of a couple of teams in this unpredictable season. The gap between the ‘Haves’ and ‘Have Nots’ was further defined in the Four Blues impressive display against the Wicks. Never shall I tip against Prahran again this season. I have learned my lesson. Do or die for Elsternwick now as they sit 9% (or 132 points) behind Uni High. Ouch! Monash’s form has been most disappointing of late and East Caulfield Reserve is no longer a fortress as Uni High exploited a distinct lack of passion from the Gryphs to storm home and clinch victory. Monash may limp to the finals, but on this form, will trouble few. The other end of the table is no less arbitrary with the bottom six all in calculation for the drop. West, Powerhouse and Albert Park all won and I suspect this had not occurred previously in 2011. The magnitude of Hawthorn’s loss to the Falcons was particularly bewildering. The Bushrangers easily accounted for the Hoes at Domeney as predicted, but Ivanhoe lost no advantage.

Round 16 Preview

UHS over Kew by 28 Pts (The Bears and Wicks face D-Day and I suspect that the former will be planning their End of Seasons Trip, come Sunday. I can’t put my finger on the secret of the combine’s success, but perhaps the evenness of their team is the defining factor. No superstars, but good honest performers that were demonstrated by 11 individual goalkickers against the Gryphs. The Bears have been less than satisfactory of late and one cannot see them rectifying this in the short term).
Wicks over Hoes by 2 Pts (Elsternwick blew any chance they had of an upset over the ladder leaders last round in the second quarter with three goals nine. Having said this though, their form has been more than adequate and Justin Hunter is arguably in career best form. Added to the mix is a virtual Elimination Final and I feel they will find something. Will be no walk in the park though as the Hoes try to hold on to third place).
Yarra over West by 88 Pts (The Bushrangers may be tempted to rest a few as they cruise to the double chance. No one can seriously see the Pies doing any damage and they must hope that they don’t lose too much percentage to the Hawks. Damien Hooper to be amongst the home side’s best).
Prahran over the Rams by 83 Pts (A close associate of mine offered me good odds on Mt Lilydale booting fewer than two goals for the senior match. I devoured the $2.80 with great haste. The forecast wet conditions will only serve to accentuate the gap between first and twelfth. Cardinal Pell to be amongst the Four Blues finest.
Monash over Hawks by 16 Pts (I will give the Gryphs one more chance as they seek to redeem recent sins. If the home side have Lauletta available this may be a different story, but the likes of Cherian and Madden up forward should prove too much for the Hawks).
Falcons over the House by 6 Pts (I see this one as clear match of the day. ‘To the winners go the spoils’ may be the apt saying come Saturday night as the winner is likely to be safe from relegation. To the loser, comes more despair and angst. Like always, when I select Albert Park, I do so with trepidation, but they may just do enough with Cale Blizzard proving the difference).

Good Luck to all

Quasi

15 out of the top 22 - enuf said....

Progressive 59 from 84.

Yarra Valley vs Ivanhoe - 22 points.
Monash Gryphons vs UHS-VU – 3 points.
Elsternwick vs Prahran Assumption – 23 points.
West Brunswick vs Mt Lilydale – 10 points.
Albert Park vs Hawthorn – 10 points.
Power House vs Kew – 8 points.

Progressive 62 from 90.

The end is close but still a few things to be sorted out. Final five is almost complete but we will find out this week whether it is settled. I also think the relegation battle is over but there is a possibility this could come down to the last game Hawks v House. This week we will know one way or the other.

Yarra Valley vs West Brunswick - 69 points. YV to give WB a good hiding this week. West Brunswick will be looking at percentage as they wont win another game for the year so the relegation threat is looming. Can't decide out of Britt or Yeo who will kick a bag. I'll go with Britt to kick 8 and Yeo to kick 5.

Ivanhoe vs Elsternwick - 14 points. Match of the Round. This game will decide and define the final 5. Must win for Elsternwick if they are any chance to make finals. The bigger oval(than EP2) will suit Ivanhoe more. Hunter has been in fine form the past couple of weeks so if Ivanhoe can stop him kicking them from anywhere they will get over the top of the Wicks and say good bye to their season.

Mt Lilydale vs Prahran Assumption - 76 points. If this game wasn't being played in the quagmire I would suggest this could be a 25 goal thumping. Take your gumboots boys. Also haven't heard the harpie the D4 boys talked about. Must keep her trap shut when losing and don't think Prahran will hear a peep today.

Albert Park vs Power House - 4 points. The local derby should be an interesting game. Not much separates these teams and both had a couple of good wins last weekend. Big Edo is my deciding factor and he will get the House up just.

Hawthorn vs Monash Gryphons - 34 points. Monash have been disappointing the last few weeks and have struggled to put teams away all year. Lack of options up forward have contributed to low scores all year. I still don't think the Hawks have what takes even though playing at Rathmines. Madden for Monash to start to improve their 'points for' ratio.

UHS-VU vs Kew - 22 points. Kew are out of the finals race now. A must win for UHS-VU if they want to play finals. Can't see them dropping this with so much on the line. Kirk is very accurate in front of goal. I'd like to know his goal/point ratio this year. Might be one of the best ratios in the comp. If only UHS could get him the ball more often they would be a lot more dangerous.

Round 16.

Yarra Valley vs West Brunswick
Ivanhoe vs Elsternwick
Mt Lilydale vs Prahran
Albert Park vs Power House
Hawthorn vs Monash Gyphons
UHS-VU vs Kew

Pretty much as you were for a lot of teams after today.

No major winners but Hawthorn right under the relegation pump now and Elsternwick big outsiders now.

Hoes challenged and Elsternwick held a slender lead late in the 3rd but a big last quarter gave the Hoes an easy win in the end.

The Wood Duck outstanding for the Hoes again!

My mail is that Lauletta is playing reserves.
Stacking up for the ressies finals.
Couldn't be further from the truth.There are at least 8 ressie players playing ones each week to cover injuries,like most clubs this time of year.
Dan lauletta has played 4 ressie games this year,3 in the first part of the year,due to injury and form.
Dan has had an injury riddled year,i guess that's what comes from old age.:D

Come on in fellas. The fishing on this forum is fantastic.

I caught myself a little mitchyfc...too small...I will just toss him back

See you in Round 16...you might have grown a little by then...

:)

maybe if you scrape into the finals things will change?

maybe if you scrape into the finals things will change?

Not out of the question for Elsternwick to make finals as they have two very winnable games but would be relying on Uni High to lose to both Powerhouse and West Brunny.

Hawthorn looming as red hot faves to join Mt Lilydale in the drop. Round 18 clash with Powerhouse could be the decider although the House would fancy themselves against uni High at home this week.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back