doggmannx

Debutant
Oct 12, 2003
Somewhere over the rainbo
AFL Club
Geelong
Other Teams
Reds/Magic/Cowboys
Sorry if this is the wrong place to put this ? but i have been working at my current place of employment for almost 9 yrs and i am on the verge of quitting to go to a new job.
I was just wonderingif i was entitled to anything other than my current holiday hours owed (Like a severence payment or something)

Thanx in advance

Its a bit like "how long is a piece of string"

Do you work under a State or Federal Award?
Do you work under an EBA or Contract?

Are you a member of a Union?
Are you in the Public Service?

All of those issues will have some effect on any payout you may or maynot be entitled to

doggmannx said:
i work for a small privately-owned company, not in a union, and i dont have a contract or EBA.

Sorry for the lack of info but not much else i can tell u
Well there are two possibilities.
1. You work under an award and are covered Federally (as Vic gave its powers to the Feds)
2. You don't work under any award and are therefore still covered by Vic legislation - I think this is perhaps more likely.

Not sure if you are Full time, Part Time or Casual.
I'll assume full time.

If you leave voluntarily, all you are entitled to is any leave credits you hold at the time you left.
Severence pay is not a condition of voluntary departure, although some (larger and Public Service) companies do sometimes pay it.

The most important thing for you to think about is 10 years, as long service leave is payable after that time. Up to 12 weeks pay.

I'm not sure I can help you with much more.

You could ring the Department of Employment & Industrial Relations (Minister Hulls) and get some more information

Murray said:
The most important thing for you to think about is 10 years, as long service leave is payable after that time. Up to 12 weeks pay.
No, the most important thing for you to think about is your own happiness. Is another 12-18 months at this job worth it? If so, wait it out and score your 3 months pay, then quit (that'll teach your boss to keep you on for 10 years, the bastard!). If you do wait, will there be another job to go to?

If the wait really isn't worth it just bail now.

Appleyard said:
No, the most important thing for you to think about is your own happiness. Is another 12-18 months at this job worth it? If so, wait it out and score your 3 months pay, then quit (that'll teach your boss to keep you on for 10 years, the bastard!). If you do wait, will there be another job to go to?

I was going tohang out the next 12mths but the way the company is going at the moment i dont think i can and if i pass a medical test on Wedneday i can have another job with better pay and hopefully better conditions but the job wont be there in 12 months time so i will just bite the bullet and go ASAP

I knew i should of taken more sickies now the boss dosent have to pay me the 160odd hours of sick leave i have accrued (DAMN IT)

doggmannx said:
I knew i should of taken more sickies now the boss dosent have to pay me the 160odd hours of sick leave i have accrued (DAMN IT)
Better then leaving 14 weeks behind.

Most places dont pay unused sick leave( Public Service excepted) some pay half the entitlements

Murray is right in saying talk to the appropriate authority , and AA is right in saying take the job now.

What entitlements are you expecting?

I wasnt sure if i could get a payout of some description e.g 1 weeks pay for every 2 yrs worked, or something like that, but i think i will just wait and see and hope for the best either way i will be so happy just to leave that place i like to call hell on earth

doggmannx said:
Sorry if this is the wrong place to put this ? but i have been working at my current place of employment for almost 9 yrs and i am on the verge of quitting to go to a new job.
I was just wonderingif i was entitled to anything other than my current holiday hours owed (Like a severence payment or something)

Thanx in advance

If you quit you just get accrued annual leave.

If you are retrenched you may get redundancy pay.

If you stay until 10 years completion you will get 2 months, not three months long service leave payout. (3 months is 15 years unless negotiated otherwise)

But seriously. Your employer has presumably given you heaps of training and raised your ability to a level where you can do better for yourself. The employer is the loser and you are now asking if you are entitled to screw him for a bit more!!!!

Appleyard said:

Sorry - I sincerely apologise

doggmannx said:
I wasnt sure if i could get a payout of some description e.g 1 weeks pay for every 2 yrs worked, or something like that, but i think i will just wait and see and hope for the best either way i will be so happy just to leave that place i like to call hell on earth
You only get paid this sort of thing if you get retrenched.

It would be absurd to expect an employer to pay someone a bonus when they quit and go elsewhere.

Frodo said:

If you stay until 10 years completion you will get 2 months, not three months long service leave payout. (3 months is 15 years unless negotiated otherwise)

But seriously. Your employer has presumably given you heaps of training and raised your ability to a level where you can do better for yourself. The employer is the loser and you are now asking if you are entitled to screw him for a bit more!!!!

My bosses way of training me "Just push the start button and watch"

I'm amazed he is still in business with that amount of training that i recieved:D

And i wasnt trying to screw him out of anything more it was just a question of if i get anything upon leaving

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Frodo said:
I like the way you make these assumptions out of nowhere.

How could anyone be employed for 9 years and not know what their entitlements are. It doesn't take long to read through your EBA or workplace agreement and on top of that, there are several government agencies you can ring for that sort of information.

As others have already stated, if you resign you are usually only entitled to accrued annual leave unless you have negotiated otherwise.
Seeing as you dont know what your entitlements are, I can only assume that hasn't happened.

Frodo said:

Boo Hoo. If an employer can sack you at will, you can walk out at will without feeling guilty. Welcome to the new world.

Remove this Banner Ad

Do I have any entitlements?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back