Do we need May and why, or not

Remove this Banner Ad

Anyone with a modicum of football nous can lay a little hip on an opponent when the ball is already favoring their position-just enough to knock him off balance just as Stevo did. Nine out of ten defenders get done in that situation regardless of size. More often you will see the bloke out of position holding or scragging or giving away a front on contact free.
Didn't Riewoldt kick 10on him a couple of weeks ago. I didn't see it, but if true that's gotta be a bit concerning.

If you are referring to Thompson No.. and only averages 12 games per season due to injury.

I did career averages and both don’t inspire me.

I guess May is a need.........I just hope he is the best choice.

I wouldn’t mind another Mihocek pick by Hine.

I did career averages and both don’t inspire me.

I guess May is a need.........I just hope he is the best choice.

I wouldn’t mind another Mihocek pick by Hine.

I have watched May a bit this year and his disposals have been bloated because the amount of times he has played on when kicking out from FB this year. The flip side to that is his direct turnovers have doubled from 2 to 4 per game as a result.

I agree with you that May is a need....but at what cost? Why get May in to allow Moore to walk?

There is talk of GCS wanting two first rounders and if that is the case I would rather pass and would prefer to try McLarty or try and prise young Lewis Young from WB. There are not too many young CHB/FB out there at present that stand out. I hope Hine finds another diamond in the rough

Was Thinking in the Spa that May could have simmlar effect Jolly gave us.

Would you do same Trade in 1st and 3rd Round Pick for May?

Is that where you do your best thinking Dave?

Not very inspiring stats.

You can't judge it on stats alone. Key defenders in particular. May is quick, he has kicking penetration to clear zones, he is good on-on-one, he is a good intercept mark. His weaknesses include getting suspended, the occassional clanger (reckon thats symtomatic of the pressure he is under at GC though) and he lacks a couple of inches compared to the big full backs. What makes him a good fit is that combination of defensive ability and being able to work in transition for us. Similar to Dunn. Thompson has the extra height but none of the kicking. Think Nathan Brown but with less penetration in his kicks. That won't work in our set-up.

Not very inspiring stats.

Yeah me too. But I reckon Mihocek was one out of the box. I would prefer to just get a known commodity. Our spine is our weakness so you do what you need to address it.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Was Thinking in the Spa that May could have simmlar effect Jolly gave us.

Would you do same Trade in 1st and 3rd Round Pick for May?
Not sure how...May hasn’t played finals, can’t play more than 18 games a season...volatile.

Would be a downgrade on Moore in terms of prospects, but given he’s always injured and looking to leave perhaps we look to trade the Moore pick for May...but no more. Otherwise we keep Moore and load up on new hamstrings.

Apparently so.

Impossibles :p

I still have nightmares about his high floaters across defensive 50 , as I'm sure do the players tasked with marking them.

Less distance may have been a better discription than penetration. Thompson is every bit as bad as Nathan Brown by foot but doesn't kick it as far.

I've had a few beers and a bottle of wine with extensive chats about May to pies and how that shapes us for next year. My opinions have swayed like a pendulum but I have reached a verdict. When looking at our team currently, it's fair to say no one (or very few) had us as third, we all rated our list and knew we could contend, but have somewhat over achieved this year, and power to us #flagpies. Next year, regardless of what happens in the next month, we have created a format and system on which to base off, flying, interchangeable and unpredictable forward line of medium sized fast players batting 7 deep, 2 tall blokes who at the very least get it to ground, the best flanks in the comp. I was always in the Dunn Shaz Moore Goldy camp, but all four are sadly a hopeful camp, Goldy can play a huge part in next year but that'd be about it he'll be 30 odd and past it after that, Dunn also 32 after next year off an acl, both retire, Moore we won't have and if we do I'm not betting my next meal on him playing more than half a season, shaz, bless his soul, but it's a harsh industry.
The acquisition of Steven May, gives us 5 Years of leadership in the backline, a FB can't do much more than defend so when you can have one that WAS A CAPTAIN OF A FOOTBALL CLUB(albeit gcs) the ramifications are far reaching, Jez Howe is a leader down ther so the structure of him and May will be perfect, tight and disciplined, Leigh Mathews said you need "bad guys in your back line" well now we have May who's ruthless and Bruzzy the bull Maynard to scare the opp. May might really be the missing link, when all our systems hold up and even a makeshift vfl backline can hold up for wins in the big time, pay the money do the trade to get it done, a consistent class act in May marshalling the troops behind the ball will be the diffence between a supprisingly overachieving year and a consolidated top 2 contender position.

Speaking of our Nathan, how reliable is the info of May coming to us?
Saints have just dumped a defender and you would think they would be after some backline reinforcement too. And they got a better warchest.

I've had a few beers and a bottle of wine with extensive chats about May to pies and how that shapes us for next year. My opinions have swayed like a pendulum but I have reached a verdict. When looking at our team currently, it's fair to say no one (or very few) had us as third, we all rated our list and knew we could contend, but have somewhat over achieved this year, and power to us #flagpies. Next year, regardless of what happens in the next month, we have created a format and system on which to base off, flying, interchangeable and unpredictable forward line of medium sized fast players batting 7 deep, 2 tall blokes who at the very least get it to ground, the best flanks in the comp. I was always in the Dunn Shaz Moore Goldy camp, but all four are sadly a hopeful camp, Goldy can play a huge part in next year but that'd be about it he'll be 30 odd and past it after that, Dunn also 32 after next year off an acl, both retire, Moore we won't have and if we do I'm not betting my next meal on him playing more than half a season, shaz, bless his soul, but it's a harsh industry.
The acquisition of Steven May, gives us 5 Years of leadership in the backline, a FB can't do much more than defend so when you can have one that WAS A CAPTAIN OF A FOOTBALL CLUB(albeit gcs) the ramifications are far reaching, Jez Howe is a leader down ther so the structure of him and May will be perfect, tight and disciplined, Leigh Mathews said you need "bad guys in your back line" well now we have May who's ruthless and Bruzzy the bull Maynard to scare the opp. May might really be the missing link, when all our systems hold up and even a makeshift vfl backline can hold up for wins in the big time, pay the money do the trade to get it done, a consistent class act in May marshalling the troops behind the ball will be the diffence between a supprisingly overachieving year and a consolidated top 2 contender position.
That would be a great post with paragraphs.

FWIW, I am in the pro May camp. We desperately need him.

Remove this Banner Ad

Do we need May and why, or not

Remove this Banner Ad

Back