Do you think getting Josh Gibson is a good move?

Remove this Banner Ad

Rioli

Team Captain
Aug 12, 2009
Melbourne
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Miami Heat, Australia
Regardless of what we pay him, is it a good move?

Will it answer our problems down back?

would young, ladson or guerra be on the table?

everyone is talking about pick exchanges and all that but would you guys be willing to give up any of these 3 in some sort of trade?

I think it cant be a bad move. Do I think it would fix our problems? Getting our guys back from injuries would help fix our problems and having Gibson wouldn't hurt to help the other guys out.

everyone is talking about pick exchanges and all that but would you guys be willing to give up any of these 3 in some sort of trade?

NO not a chance.... Young and Ladson are running players with superb kicking skills, Guerra would be a chance but i doubt we'd offload him either!

yes, it is a good move, provide our insurance for croad.....and he walked out which means a trade to us will occur.....kangas have no bargaining so 2nd pick or TOM MURPOHY as a straight swap

You'd be better off looking towards a player that will give you 10 years service rather than 5. I'd be looking at Morton myself, has all the tools, just needs the motivation.

Will it answer our problems down back?

I don't think so, I believe Gibson would be a great addition to our backline but i do NOT think he is the answer to all our problems!

I didn't think he was the 'Gorilla' defender (as Clarko describes Croad) we need, but he's surprisingly bigger than i first thought after checking the NMFC website. :D

J.Gibson - 189cm / 92kg
C. Brown - 177cm / 83kg
T.Croad - 190cm / 92kg

There's no yes or no answer here. He hasn't really left North yet and it all depends and what we lose to gain him. If we lose pick 9 and get Gibson I wouldn't have thought so but if we lose pick 9 and pick 9 turns out to be a dud ala Ryley Dunn and Gibson becomes a cornerstone in our defense then yes, it will have been a good move.
But for now, it's all just speculation.

He may be as tall as Croad, but he doesn't have his athleticism or marking. I think it's a middle of the road option, we're offering far too much and their are better options out there anyway. The point of drafting a "gorilla" will be that he can hold his own while the flankers attack up the field, Gibson relies too much on people coming over the top to help while he's holding the forward target still.

Not ideal, but that having been said he will improve our defence.
Not a million dollars worth though.

we're offering far too much and their are better options out there anyway.
FFS, from the reports we're offering him the average AFL salary! How is that too much? He is not a below-average player, that much is certain. Or, if you're referring to trades, well how about we wait until a deal is done before we say it's too much/little.

THe average salary is 1 million over three years? Was he getting that at North?

If so, my mistake...

I guess that question can only be answered when we know what we're giving up. It's a relative thing and, thus far, we're only seeing one side of the equation.

However, in terms of being a useful addition to our backline that will give us much needed flexibility, it's a good move.

If Croad comes up, we suddenly have a very formidable backline with some depth. Plus it'll give us time to develop Shoey.

It's also a pointer, I believe, at the sort of players Hawthorn will look at drafting and how our list will shape-up.

I reckon if we land Gibson we'll almost certainly be drafting an experienced tallish defender from Box Hill or elsewhere - Markovich, Coad etc - as cover.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Its a great move, all year all we have been saying is we need a defender, and Josh has kept Buddy to a few goals on many occasions he would slot in perfictly.
Any one who is saying no and that we have plenty of players to come back and that Croad is still to come back are delusional Croad may never come back to the way he was.
We have no other player on our list can do the jb of a Gibson, Shoenmakers is still too young, Milne too young and skinny, Murphy need i so more, Guerra, young, laddo can't do the job of Gibson.
We need to go in hard and get Josh to Hawthorn and not make the same mistake as we did last few trade periods when we play hard ball with Thorton we need Josh at Hawthorn in 2010 if we are to get back our premiership...

Good move but is just a part of a good trade season for our team IMO.

He's got experience and hasn't peaked yet, the bloke certainly isn't a dud and North fans know it. Croad won't be back till half way through next season at the earliest, Gibson will certainly help our team out in the back line. He won't solve all our issues but with be a valuable addition and give our defence some stability.

Have very good word there is another player, maybe 2 that are requesting trades to our club. Neither of them is Brian Lake though.

If this trade goes through, i'll be very happy and think most supporters should be.

Surely ti will be a second round pick and maybe a very frnge player. They may want to bolster their defence with Murphy, which would work out ok.

Gibson's a good move as long as we don;t have to pay much.

If we parted with Gibson for Murphy and pick 25 and then grabbed Talia with pick 9, I would not be unhappy.

Any player that can replace Murphy in our side is good for me, he has reasonable pace and he's versatile in who he can play against. He's everything that Murphy isn't.
Its a win as long as its not pick 9. :thumbsu:

Any player that can replace Murphy in our side is good for me, he has reasonable pace and he's versatile in who he can play against. He's everything that Murphy isn't.

just a opinion you dont need pick 9 you have a great team that needs a little help in the back line not some young kid that will take 2 to 3 years think people, just my opinion

just a opinion you dont need pick 9 you have a great team that needs a little help in the back line not some young kid that will take 2 to 3 years think people, just my opinion
true we dont need pick 9, but gibson isnt worth pick 9 so maybe we can get 2 quality experienced players in the trade period this year!!!

Just because we have some young talent coming through doesn't mean we have to throw our Pick 9 away on a player thats not worth it, more talent coming through = longer sustained success for the future. :) :thumbsu:

There are actually heaps of positives out of this.

1. Roughead gets to stay in the forward line!
  2. Roughead in the forward line means that Dowler can come in as a third tall. Great news - another player our midfielders can kick it to!
  3. It allows Schoenmakers to develop as a third tall before eventually becoming the permanent FB.
  4. If we get Daniel Talia at Pick 9, we will officially have depth in our defense again (Croad, Schoenmakers, Gibson, Talia and Gilham). As Collins-Ayres-Langford stated in another post: Teams build premierships around goal-to-goal line ups consisting of Schonmakers - Talia - Shiels - Franklin - Roughead. The best part is that we will have this spine for the next ten years, hopefully!
  5. Gibson doesn't come at that much of a cost.
I'm a fan of the trade. Fingers crossed for Talia. Please get him.

Ive nothing against Murphy, he was an important cog for us in 08. However he has dropped off considerably since. If Gibson replaces him I would be extremely happy. He is a much better one-on-one defender, and is better on the rebound too. We should still be looking to get that "gorilla" type backman, but Gibson is a good insurance policy if that doesnt eventuate.

Rioli and Mitch Madness are spot on. There's a heap of positives in getting Gibson but as long as we dont have to sell our first born to get him.
Keeping big sauce Roughead forward, Dowler the 3rd tall, Hodgey to just play wherever he wants and dominate, wont kill our player payments if the $$ in the papers are right. Whats not to love about the idea??
A trade of Murphy and 25 seems fair to both sides for mine.
C'mon Pelch now go and make this happen before the bloody 2pm deadline on the Friday - a Tuesday morning trade would be much less stressful.....

Remove this Banner Ad

Do you think getting Josh Gibson is a good move?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back