Does Geelong's 'lifestyle' factor give them an unfair advantage for free agency signings?

Remove this Banner Ad

Off topic but this feels a bit like wishing your life away? Why don't you just move now?

Because I make a fairly decent wage in Geelong. Still not old enough to pull the pin yet though. Another 5-6 years and I'll be able to kick back at 55.

I'm lucky I'm 5 minutes from the ring road and out of the congested zone in 10 into the countryside.

If you're working in the north of Geelong or Melbourne and living in the south it's
a shit show ever day getting from one side to the other. Worse if you're down in some of the coastal areas.

This is what you get when you have a dickhead for a Premier who tells Melbournians to head to the regions but provides **** all infrastructure upgrades to deal with it.

Can Cats supporters point out what ‘disadvantage’ they get playing at Marvel or MCG, given they play there all the time, oppo teams don’t train there, the grounds are pretty standard dimensions and the Cats get loads of support there.

Is it the 1-hour car ride?

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com
We want the same access to home games and home finals that every other club is entitled to.

North can sell four games to Tassie and play their other 7 games at Marvel, but we get 2 games moved to Melbourne to appease a contract the AFL signed. If Melbourne teams were stopped from selling games, then MCG clubs wouldn't have to play home games at Marvel and Geelong wouldn't have to play home games at the MCG.

As for home finals, we'd rather play them at Geelong in front of a 50/50 crowd, then at the MCG in front of a 30/70 crowd stacked against us. Finals were neutral when only 1 club played home games at the G and it made the league the most money. Now, every club but 4 gets home finals at their venue of choice, and as for money, KP with 40k capacity will make the club more than $1m in profit (not revenue) each game, which matches the MCG for total dollars at full capacity, and per seat outpaces it by miles. The league won't lose money playing finals at KP.

As for the drive being "only 1 hour", then surely it's no issue for Melbourne fans to come down the highway? Or does that only apply in one direction?

Plenty of cats fans live south/west of Geelong, and getting to the G isn't just an hour away. If cats finals were played on Saturdays (like they used to be), it would be way more fan friendly, and more of us could show up, but the league runs on TV $$$, so Friday nights it is. The reality is, a KP final locks out way more opposition fans than cats fans, if you want a 'G final, your club should earn one. We don't move interstate finals to Melbourne for a good reason, and Geelong finals should be the same.

Geelong gets the best of both worlds, though I concede they do sell some home games to play at the G
We don't sell games to the MCG. The AFL fixtures us there as part of their contract with the MCG and we just get told to play there. Whilst other clubs (like North, Hawthorn, St Kilda, Melbourne and the Bulldogs) sell games and make money, we get our games moved and we lose money. It's a farce.

We want the same access to home games and home finals that every other club is entitled to.

North can sell four games to Tassie and play their other 7 games at Marvel, but we get 2 games moved to Melbourne to appease a contract the AFL signed. If Melbourne teams were stopped from selling games, then MCG clubs wouldn't have to play home games at Marvel and Geelong wouldn't have to play home games at the MCG.

As for home finals, we'd rather play them at Geelong in front of a 50/50 crowd, then at the MCG in front of a 30/70 crowd stacked against us. Finals were neutral when only 1 club played home games at the G and it made the league the most money. Now, every club but 4 gets home finals at their venue of choice, and as for money, KP with 40k capacity will make the club more than $1m in profit (not revenue) each game, which matches the MCG for total dollars at full capacity, and per seat outpaces it by miles. The league won't lose money playing finals at KP.

As for the drive being "only 1 hour", then surely it's no issue for Melbourne fans to come down the highway? Or does that only apply in one direction?

Plenty of cats fans live south/west of Geelong, and getting to the G isn't just an hour away. If cats finals were played on Saturdays (like they used to be), it would be way more fan friendly, and more of us could show up, but the league runs on TV $$$, so Friday nights it is. The reality is, a KP final locks out way more opposition fans than cats fans, if you want a 'G final, your club should earn one. We don't move interstate finals to Melbourne for a good reason, and Geelong finals should be the same.
Make your ground oval shape and we can talk finals.

I find it very hard to believe Geelong make so much off their home ground compared to other places. Do you not have similar expenses to the rest of the stadiums in Australia? Will your deal not change considering the amount of money that has been spent extending it? Surely the state government wants a piece of the action rather than just a donation.

I find it very hard to believe Geelong make so much off their home ground compared to other places. Do you not have similar expenses to the rest of the stadiums in Australia? Will your deal not change considering the amount of money that has been spent extending it? Surely the state government wants a piece of the action rather than just a donation.

Our home ground and the one you played at for over 20 years until a few seasons ago:

Attachments

• F10209B5-E60C-41F8-81BA-D1DE60940615.jpeg
    F10209B5-E60C-41F8-81BA-D1DE60940615.jpeg
    80.3 KB · Views: 43
  • B11AF171-09BF-4D2E-B2CC-34EDCCA95BE3.jpeg
    B11AF171-09BF-4D2E-B2CC-34EDCCA95BE3.jpeg
    60.4 KB · Views: 37
It's run by the local council who want to attract events that bring in money to the city. It's in their best interests to keep the costs low. We don't spend money on frivolous things like libraries and can rings that cost money in upkeep. Instead, under the stands, there are plenty of community facilities that have a use throughout the week.

As for the state government, the funding helped them win elections, politicians are simple people and they don't want for much more than that.

We've been through this before. Subi was an oval, the stand was cut off. This is not the same.

View attachment 1481185

I’m confused

You are into us for not having an oval, even though for all intents and purposes it is.

Sydney play on what is essentially a circle

So why are all the other grounds which have differing dimensions so untenable but the one that belongs to us seems to cause so much consternation

Yet Sydney

Attachments

• 1B6A5C02-62EB-4FEE-BD1E-8D0563B9D352.jpeg
    1B6A5C02-62EB-4FEE-BD1E-8D0563B9D352.jpeg
    73 KB · Views: 36
The Geelong town centre isn’t making too many tourism must see lists but parts of the town and region are very nice.

The surf coast - whilst cold and awful weather wise for a lot of the time - has always been a draw card and Geelong is the gateway to that area and the Bellarine peninsula. Cafes, wineries, restaurants, beaches, national parks etc.

Most afl players settle down quickly and then are pretty happy to train, hit the surf, hit up a local cafe and go about their business fairly quietly. The Geelong region offers that.
You forgot to mention the golf courses.

Barwon Heads
Thirteenth Beach (x2)
Curlewis
Lonsdale Links
Queenscliff
Portarlington
Sands Torquay
RACV Torquay
Anglesea
Geelong

Oval = having a rounded and slightly elongated outline or shape. The playing surface at GMHBA isn't rectangular. It isn't square, and it isn't circular. Its....wait....an OVAL. Nowhere is it said an Australian Rules playing ground must be certain measurements, and that is one of the endearing qualities of our game and of the Australian way. That's why none of the original grounds are identical in dimension

Oval = having a rounded and slightly elongated outline or shape. The playing surface at GMHBA isn't rectangular. It isn't square, and it isn't circular. Its....wait....an OVAL. Nowhere is it said an Australian Rules playing ground must be certain measurements, and that is one of the endearing qualities of our game and of the Australian way. That's why none of the original grounds are identical in dimension
Off Google - An oval shape is a 2D shape, similar to an egg, that has no straight lines and vertices. The oval shape has one flat face, which does no self-intersect at any point. Another way to describe an oval shape is by saying that it is similar to a smooshed circle, a circle that is elongated in a way.

No straight lines rules out the Cattery being an oval. You're missing a whole wing.

I’m confused

You are into us for not having an oval, even though for all intents and purposes it is.

Sydney play on what is essentially a circle

So why are all the other grounds which have differing dimensions so untenable but the one that belongs to us seems to cause so much consternation

Yet Sydney
SCG isn't a circle and each wing & end is the same dimensions.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Because I make a fairly decent wage in Geelong. Still not old enough to pull the pin yet though. Another 5-6 years and I'll be able to kick back at 55.

I'm lucky I'm 5 minutes from the ring road and out of the congested zone in 10 into the countryside.

If you're working in the north of Geelong or Melbourne and living in the south it's
a s**t show ever day getting from one side to the other. Worse if you're down in some of the coastal areas.

This is what you get when you have a dickhead for a Premier who tells Melbournians to head to the regions but provides * all infrastructure upgrades to deal with it.
Damn you, Jeffrey

How much of their own cash did Freo and the Eagles put into Optus being built?
Geelong has put $50m+ of their own cash into the upgrades of KP

Off Google - An oval shape is a 2D shape, similar to an egg, that has no straight lines and vertices. The oval shape has one flat face, which does no self-intersect at any point. Another way to describe an oval shape is by saying that it is similar to a smooshed circle, a circle that is elongated in a way.

No straight lines rules out the Cattery being an oval. You're missing a whole wing.

SCG isn't a circle and each wing & end is the same dimensions.

No it’s not a circle but it is incredibly close to it.

As AFL has never ever ever had any ‘standardised’ dimensions applied to it and the cats current venue has been in use for just under a century im struggling to see why it’s an issue now. Never heard one word about it before the last decade.

And the questions no one ever seems to be able to answer is why we adapt everywhere but whoever puts out the markers at other teams’ training in the lead up to a game at our ground doesn’t seem smart enough, if the dimensions are that big of an issue, to recreate the dimensions of KP

It's run by the local council who want to attract events that bring in money to the city. It's in their best interests to keep the costs low. We don't spend money on frivolous things like libraries and can rings that cost money in upkeep. Instead, under the stands, there are plenty of community facilities that have a use throughout the week.

As for the state government, the funding helped them win elections, politicians are simple people and they don't want for much more than that.

Like how they priced the local leagues out of using it even though the scum said it would be a truly community ground?

Another person trying to find an excuse as to why Geelong remain competitive whilst their sides fall out of contention.

Keep 'em coming.

All from the same people writing us off year after year.

If Geelong played all their home games at MCG or Marvel, how many games would they have won?

That question is about as relevant as me asking, if St Kilda played all their home games at the SCG or Optus Stadium, how many games would they win?

Which big name player has requested a trade to WC? Tim Kelly, that's it in the clubs history, now compare that to Geelong - Dangerfield, Ablett, Jeremy Cameron etc.

Yeo may not have been a big name when he was traded but the Lions certainly wanted to keep him and as per this article he was regarded as one of their best young talents at the time. Worked out pretty well for WCE.

You also shouldn’t undersell Kelly. When he was traded he was a top 5 midfielder in the comp coming into his prime. I had him odds on to make AA and contend for the Brownlow in 2020, as did many others.

Gold Coast should be a powerhouse then. Would easily be the best lifestyle for a 20 something wouldn’t it?

Remove this Banner Ad

Does Geelong's 'lifestyle' factor give them an unfair advantage for free agency signings?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back