Does Thursday Night Football Work?

Thursday Night footy?

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

It was the worst idea of all time. The trains are packed heading to the footy as it is. Throw in peakhour and its just a joke.

I'm down south so generally drive up to Mandurah and catch the train. Not sure if its changed for the freo game, but that day they didn't do any football specials (because of peak hour). so you had to change in Perth.

Had to wait for the 3rd train to leave on the Freo line to get to Subi

Next Thurs should be fun, Freo/Coll with a 6:10 starting time.

Just a big f*** you from out east. Friday Night games in Perth up until a year or so ago were 6:40pm local time. Suddenly this 6:10pm crap started with AFL thinking locals wouldn't notice. 30 minutes really does make a difference.

Either bring it back to 6:40pm or do away with Thursday/Friday night games in Perth all together.
Ideally, I'd love to see a TV double header with a Perth game at 7:10pm locally. Give Perth a prime time start for once.

Last edited:
I'm sure Freo and West Coast can cope without Victorian money
Not sure you got the point at all in your parochial blood rush. There's no Victorian money involved. If you don't think WA/SA sides want national live Friday Night TV then you are kidding yourself.

Not sure you got the point at all in your parochial blood rush. There's no Victorian money involved. If you don't think WA/SA sides want national live Friday Night TV then you are kidding yourself.

National dollar = Victorian dollar.

Both Fremantle and West Coast are wealthy compared to other clubs and are not in a position where we need to push for thursday night football matches which possibly disadvantage the people attending our matches.

As an alternative time slot opposed to Sunday or Monday night for a limited number of matches a season then yes, however, if it means, for those of us who don't have Foxtel, that there is no free- to- air coverage of the AFL either Saturday or Sunday afternoon (as is the case this weekend), then no, absolutely not. Joke.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

As an alternative time slot opposed to Sunday or Monday night for a limited number of matches a season then yes, however, if it means, for those of us who don't have Foxtel, that there is no free- to- air coverage of the AFL either Saturday or Sunday afternoon (as is the case this weekend), then no, absolutely not. Joke.

It's called streaming man, it's decent enough quality these days, get yourself a $20 cable from JB and watch it on your TV.

I'm all for thursday night footy, even second week sounds good to me, 5 games on Saturday gets me schizophrenic.

It actually works well. Gets people excited as the weekend is almost here, atmosphere is incredible and the footy-devoted fans (such as myself) are treated to a 4 day festival of football games.

It works many times better than it's counterpart...Monday Night Football. In theory that works, but this is not the NFL. It's good for those who stay at home but people generally don't feel the need to go to the football after a shit day at work on the first day of the week.

It actually works well. Gets people excited as the weekend is almost here, atmosphere is incredible and the footy-devoted fans (such as myself) are treated to a 4 day festival of football games.

It works many times better than it's counterpart...Monday Night Football. In theory that works, but this is not the NFL. It's good for those who stay at home but people generally don't feel the need to go to the football after a shit day at work on the first day of the week.

I just think it makes things a bit sparse when they do it during a split round. Only one game on Sunday (kicking off at 3:20 Eastern time) seems a bit light on to me.

Wouldn't have a problem if they decided to switch the middle game on Saturday or one of the games on Sunday with a Thursday during a full round, though that would obviously create questions about recovery times etc.

Monday Night Football works with the NFL because traditionally the NFL never had a mortgage on the whole weekend.
Back in the day, it was just Sunday arvo games. Monday Night football allowed for the NFL to stage a game not only on a different day, but in prime time as well.
Just like how the VFL had Saturday arvo, and expanded to Friday Night in the mid 80s. Nowadays, the AFL have Friday Night - Sunday Twilight, and apparently that's not enough to them. Not complaining at all, but a Thursday Night game is certainly convenient for the TV fan.

You mean so Ch 7 can't show it at prime time. The alternative is for WA matches to not be live Friday night games in Melbourne which isn't a great alternative for the WA sides trying to sell sponsorship on a national scale.

We are talking about Thursday night games, not Friday, peak hour is very different on those two days in perth.
I dare say both WA clubs would be happy with Friday night and Saturday night games to sell their brand, they've done a very good job of this thus far

Remove this Banner Ad

Does Thursday Night Football Work?

Back