Does Thursday Night Football Work?

Thursday Night footy?

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

In terms of 2015 I'd like to have seen more Thursday night games and spread out more. 3 week block between Rounds 12 and 14 and only 4 for the year, although it has been spread between 3 "main" AFL states and NSW.

I'd like to see 6 Thursday night games at an average of one every 4 rounds.

In terms of 2015 I'd like to have seen more Thursday night games and spread out more. 3 week block between Rounds 12 and 14 and only 4 for the year, although it has been spread between 3 "main" AFL states and NSW.

I'd like to see 6 Thursday night games at an average of one every 4 rounds.

There's a reason for that. Thursday night games would involve at least one team coming off a five day break unless they didn't play the week before.

* Rd 1 - Carlton v Richmond
* Rd 12 - Adelaide v Hawthorn - both teams with a bye in Rd 11
* Rd 13 - Fremantle v Collingwood - both teams with a bye in Rd 12
* Rd 14 - Sydney v Port Adelaide - Port with a bye, Sydney play on the Friday in Rd 13

Should be used for the final regular season round so that less games are played on the Sunday (and therefore decreasing the risk that a finals bound team will get a Sunday game).

There's a reason for that. Thursday night games would involve at least one team coming off a five day break unless they didn't play the week before.

* Rd 1 - Carlton v Richmond
* Rd 12 - Adelaide v Hawthorn - both teams with a bye in Rd 11
* Rd 13 - Fremantle v Collingwood - both teams with a bye in Rd 12
* Rd 14 - Sydney v Port Adelaide - Port with a bye, Sydney play on the Friday in Rd 13
All pretty big marque games too, what's the bet they all get 80+% capacity? They don't want to have too many, because then you'll end up with st kilda fremantle block busters infront of 2 men and a dog. Big games will draw a crowd at any time, while smaller games you have to very careful with and make it as easy as possible to attend.

Round 1 - Carlton v Richmond @ MCG
Crowd: 83,493

Got off to a good start. We now have a Thursday night fixture every week over the next month. It should be interesting to see how many people rock up to watch the Crows and Hawthorn at Adelaide Oval tonight.

Round 1 - Carlton v Richmond @ MCG
Crowd: 83,493

Got off to a good start. It should be interesting to see how many people rock up to watch the Crows and Hawthorn at Adelaide Oval tonight.
It'll be a sell out, surely. Or at least very close to 50k.

I think the AFL has done a good job with the Thursday night fixtures this year. Every game is entertaining and will draw in both viewers and a live audience alike.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

It'll be a sell out, surely. Or at least very close to 50k.

I think the AFL has done a good job with the Thursday night fixtures this year. Every game is entertaining and will draw in both viewers and a live audience alike.
Melbourne, Sydney, Brisbane, Perth and Adelaide were all given a Thursday night fixture last year and all did well except Brisbane. This year, they've replaced the Brisbane fixture with an extra Adelaide fixture. So both Port and the Crows get a Thursday night game this year and Queensland gets left out. Probably for the best tbh.

They don't want to have too many, because then you'll end up with st kilda fremantle block busters infront of 2 men and a dog.
10,000 more seats at Subi than Simonds champ.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I do not know why they can't complete a round of AFL between Friday and Sunday afternoon? Thursday is at least better than Monday night. The problem the AFL created for themselves is neglecting Friday night as their main Football showcase day. There should be two games each week on a Friday night with a game EVERY week of the season scheduled in Melbourne irrespective of any interstate Friday night game including Good Friday night. No game should begin later than 3.10 pm on a Sunday anywhere! Melbourne has just gone gameless on a Friday night for the past three weeks, it's not good enough. Friday night football has been a disaster this season.

I do not know why they can't complete a round of AFL between Friday and Sunday afternoon? Thursday is at least better than Monday night. The problem the AFL created for themselves is neglecting Friday night as their main Football showcase day. There should be two games each week on a Friday night with a game EVERY week of the season scheduled in Melbourne irrespective of any interstate Friday night game including Good Friday night. No game should begin later than 3.10 pm on a Sunday anywhere! Melbourne has just gone gameless on a Friday night for the past three weeks, it's not good enough. Friday night football has been a disaster this season.

The highest rating game in Melbourne on a Friday night this year has involved 2 teams that aren't from Melbourne.

The highest rating game in Melbourne on a Friday night this year has involved 2 teams that aren't from Melbourne.
When there is no game here in Melbourne i am not surprised that is the case, Melbourne people want to go the game itself and Friday night is the perfect night for it. Attendances are down and i'm not surprised by that either.....Port V geelong was the only good game for a long time on Friday night, but the Saints should've been playing the Dees over at Etihad at the same time!

Remove this Banner Ad

Does Thursday Night Football Work?

Back