Does watching rugby league origin make you jealous

Remove this Banner Ad

mikey127

Norm Smith Medallist
Feb 4, 2011
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
I'll start this thread but saying I follow both codes but like Aussie rules more and last might was the only origin game this year I have watched.

Watching last night and what a great contest it was made me really jealous and upset that we don't have origin.

Question for those that watched last does it make you upset/jealous or have you just accepted it's gone and you just enjoy it in another sport for the contest it is?

State of Origin always mattered far more to the smaller states with Vic coaches often having their best players unavailable.

Its why it stopped being a thing. And I cant imagine any coach would be in favour of the games happening mid-season.

Also, I dont watch Origin. RL just doesnt interest me, despite living in Sydney since 1989.

I don't watch it, if i a get glimpse of it i almost puke and i am a sports fanatic. A lot of you are going to disagree with my assessment of State of Origin , and you probably have some good rebuttals or explanations or whatever for why the exposition is fitting for the game and I strongly encourage you to share those points with another Origin fan. I don't like NRL, i never have and never will. I don't care.

It's always interesting to see how your own teams players go in things like that and the international rules series. Also I remember being pretty excited watching a SOO game where Plugger and Ablett Snr played together up forward for the Vics when I was a kid.

Personally I'd love to see it if there was a viable way for it to work. Not sure there is though.

For mine one of the reason state of origin works for them is because there is only the 2 states involved every year. So it breeds a passion and rivalry.

In Aussie Rules you have the 3 big traditional states in WA/SA/Vic so getting one of them to not be part of that causes too many politics.

If there was more states involved for league then it would dilute that SOO competition. The NRL being unable to break more into WA/SA/Vic has worked in their favor in that regard.

Last edited:
I don't watch it, if i a get glimpse of it i almost puke and i am a sports fanatic. A lot of you are going to disagree with my assessment of State of Origin , and you probably have some good rebuttals or explanations or whatever for why the exposition is fitting for the game and I strongly encourage you to share those points with another Origin fan. I don't like NRL, i never have and never will. I don't care.
100%

I also don't like Rugby (League or Union). Tried to watch on many occasions but just cant get interested. For that reason I don't watch the SOO & really don't care for it.

I grew up in the 80's watching SOO Vic vs SA, Vic vs WA and those games were great. Would love to see it come back but in reality I don't think it ever will.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I did almost all my schooling in NSW so I’ve watched a ton of league over the journey. Never felt jealous of Origin, enjoy it for what it is, it isn’t something the AFL should try to compete with or replicate (one of many trapdoors for AFL HQ to tumble down), it’s a different thing. AFL has always had a superb and stable top flight league to fall back on. I like that the different codes all have their idiosyncratic structures here and showcase points of difference.

Last edited:
Doesn't make me jealous at all. Having said that i love watching NSW play.

No. It doesn't work for our sport because more than 2 states care about AFL. It's a nice niche for League, but not something I want to see implemented in Aussie Rules.

100%

I also don't like Rugby (League or Union). Tried to watch on many occasions but just cant get interested. For that reason I don't watch the SOO & really don't care for it.

I grew up in the 80's watching SOO Vic vs SA, Vic vs WA and those games were great. Would love to see it come back but in reality I don't think it ever will.
It could work if it was only Vic v SA or WA....no All Stars or Allies nonsense. You must have state empathy, which NSW and QLD have.

Rugby league has now become one of the only true combative contact sports in Australia.

The entire industry including officials, administrators, players and fans actually care about the games history and rhis is highlighted with State of Origin, it is ranked up there with making the grand final. Players and clubs are willing to 100% invest in the State or Origin contest and specticle.

AFL does not. The AFL is a weak, reactive and poorly run. We should be envious, the AFL obviously do not rate the history of the game as highly and the bed wetters chargeing in are outlawing physical combative clashes. Turning the AFL into a unrecocgniable, mutated, soft sport.

So we should be jealous of the NRL as it isnt selling its soul and destroying itself like AFL House continues to.

No.

I care about my club, nothing else.

This comes up every year at the same time, 40+ year old journos and ex. players who played in the 80s and early 90s (always Victorian) get starry eyed and think it’s a good idea to revive the concept again.

Then it finishes, and everyone outside of NSW and QLD forgets that Rugby League exists.

Remove this Banner Ad

Does watching rugby league origin make you jealous

Remove this Banner Ad

Back