Review Dogs 110 thrash Demons 59

Remove this Banner Ad

Tom McDonald tonight would have to be one of the funniest oppo player meltdowns we’ve seen?

Sicily losing the plot and giving away frees a few years back when Schache kicked 4 on him was right up there

I don’t know exactly what happened, and when the switch flicked with this team.

But holy shit, the last month has been the most enjoyable month of footy following this team in my 38 years on this planet.

2016 was enjoyable in hindsight, but this is way different.

Like someone recently mentioned, you need to take the good times when they come and that’s exactly what I’m doing.
I suspect credit is due to the new coaches and Lade and fitness guy. It’s probably taken a while to click but all of a sudden we look confident, we have a blueprint, everyone knows their role in a structure.

Garcia and VDM have real mongrel to their game. We absolutely need them both in the side.
Bramble is an absolute gift from the gods. One hell of a freebie.
Lobb's groundball game is incredibly good for a 207cm player who has played just a handful of games in defence.
Im not so sure if Richards would've been released into the midfield to the same extent that he has. If at all.

If Bramble wasn't on the list.

I know that the Richards move gets a lot of credit for the way we move the ball. However, the fact that we once again have two offensive kicking half backs with Dale and Bramble in the side and the effect that they've had on our ball movement needs to be recognised. With JJ's career winding down due to injuries. The recruitment of Bramble has been a far sighted masterstroke. Whomever was responsible for bringing him to the club deserves all the monies.

Given my strike rate on such things. I can only assume that I shit talked him as well. When he arrived at the club.

I was frustrated that Melbourne were within striking distance in the last quarter. We've all seen this club turn to water and give up 6 goal leads before.
Props to the group, I'm not sure we would've kept pressing on like we did tonight in previous years.
Ive never been more comfortable when a team has got back to within 18 points in all my life.

The margin then like the margin at the end of the game absolutely flattered Melbourne.

Like last week the game was over after 15 minutes.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The last 4 weeks have been played like someone flicked a switch, they're all playing with more intensity & backing each other.

Goody, please. You're going to have to do better than this if you want to stop him.

View attachment 2066703
It was funny listening to the Fox commentators bemoan Melbourne not tagging The Bont. Only for him to continue doing The Bont like things when they actually did.

Trying to tag The Bont is akin to tying a rope around Godzilla's tail as he rampages through downtown Tokyo.

That was impressive football and our clinical nature in which we moved the ball was impressive. We haven't been that skilled and direct to goal for a number of games, and many of our outside players were the ones that drove the win, even if that's been our weakest positions. Defensively, our press was good too.

On the flipside, I'm going to be a little bit not as positive about our defenders, though, it's comparison to the rest of the match being dominant for us and them coming down to earth a bit from a great three weeks as a unit. While we kept Melbourne to just the 39 inside 50s (which is absolutely dominant and our defenders obviously had a part in that), they still had 20 shots on goal, and in some ways it reminded me of that Hawthorn loss earlier in the year to a less extreme extent were a lot of our ball movement and pressing was good but we actually couldn't do the defensive stuff in our own defensive 50.

In fairness, we were playing around with tactics a bit and we went with a bit more all-out attack game style and gave our back flankers and wingers license to get forward and push for our own scoring so it's always inevitable, but the cherry on top would have been to see our defenders manage to stop the opposition a little and let them only have 14 or 18 or whatever shots on goal instead of the 20 they had. I thought Jones, Lobb, Khamis were just okay (with Duryea better). Not bad, but not good, just okay.

Bonti get the 3 votes tonight, or Bailey Dale?

Bit of de ja vu. Won tonight by 51, 1954 we won by 51 in GF

Could it be an omen for bigger things to come.in 2024??
I tried to take a picture of the scoreboard at the 19:54 mark of the last quarter but went a fraction early dammit

Attachments

• IMG_4226.jpeg
    IMG_4226.jpeg
    1.1 MB · Views: 98
I’m happy for the goal kicking to stay as is until the first qualifying final when we kick 21.5.
Im happy to put up with the wonky goal kicking as long as we are keeping teams to an average of 52 points as we have for the last month as the team has gone into a higher gear.

Remove this Banner Ad

Review Dogs 110 thrash Demons 59

Remove this Banner Ad

Back