Autopsy Dogs 77 lose to Pies 89

Remove this Banner Ad

Tonight shows we are both miles away yet weirdly right in this year's competition.

There were many positives but unless we correct a few issues we will waste a year. For those who like to put it all on the coach, their are some coaching issues no doubt.

To have a crack at this year we need:

Our better players to step up when the opposition players step up both in performance and leadership including just do the basics right. Purely on the playing group. They are not only not stepping up but are often the players with poor decision making Costing us turnovers and goals

Obviously take our opportunities, again Purely a player issue

When clear kick to advantage stop handballing back into heat on the ball. Costs us way to many goals, handball is for spread and breaking lines not what we do. This is coaching

Switching back when the switch is not on and switching back to poor ball users. Either set up the switch properly or come up with another way to move the ball. Again killing us and yes this is coaching

Stop short kicks out every time. Look to utilise the space and get the ball to the wings quickly and ensure we have structure where kicking. Costing us goals and definitely coaching

Clearly we have JJ and Jones to get back. JJ for Vandermeer and Jones for either Keith or Gards, personally Keith.

It is not just about getting games into players but getting games into players better than those playing with potential upside this year.

Cleary surely comes in for Durea
Darcy has to come in for Lobb
Buss should be in JOD

Any others are just shuffling deck chairs.

Common consensus is we are not got enough this year. That may me correct. But the Playing and coaching groups come together and address the above and we may still have a big part to play. Keep doing what we are and first or at best second week of finals is as far as we will go

On SM-G996B using BigFooty.com mobile app

Drop in effort in periods of the game -costly

Some simple misses at goal - costly

Some of our good players go missing for large portion of games - costly

Leaving to a few and having passengers - costly

What concerns me is we have lost to Geelong, Collingwood, Melbourne and Port twice and we have beaten Lions once that speaks to where we are at.
He wasn't wow level good in the second quarter when we actually made him accountable instead of letting him run around with no one on him. Think he only got 2 disposals in the second.

marcus not a captains arseh*le
do us all a favor and step down
when we need direction Missing in Action
this team will go nowhere as long as he is captain
HOW *EN MANY TIMES WILL WE GIVE HIM AN OUT?

Yeah, cos we've got so many options, right?

Quality post btw, really adds to the discussion.

What has happened with Bailey Smith been poor the last few weeks

Regarding the defence, I thought Gardner was good in the first but it was hard to watch Frampton and Cox dominate him in the 2nd

Gardner was good. I like him.

But looking at our key defence players compared to the premiership contenders, we just don’t cut it.

Jones - very good but old

Keath - past it

Gardner - solid but not elite

Compare what we’ve got in defence to the likes of Collingwood, Port, Brisbane and Melbourne.

Pretty stark difference in quality.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Tbh I'm annoyed but we aren't far off it. Another year into Marra and Darcy and Busslinger coming good I think we can bounce back hard next year. Need some pace in the midfield but that's easier to get than a gun spine
Agree. We have an opportunity to set something important up. We’ve missed one opportunity after the grand final but need to nail this. Gifted some key players in Marra and Darcy but our midfield is aging rapidly. We need to develop an identity and some leaders. Replacing Duryea types will be tough.

Those blaming Bont have no clue. He probably misses easy shots because he has to bust his arse carrying the team every week when a gameplan should be made to make it less of a toll on his body.

Look at how busted Cripps' body is for carrying Carlton for years.

He dominated a final series as the high half forward role.

This is purely on Bailey. He can play in the 2s next week for all I care.

He is definitely out of form as you suggested but both those games were night games when the forward can just go up the ground and play as an extra mid.

He cant do that when Macrae is playing that role at the moment. Hes pretty much purely forward atm.

I thought we played well for large periods of the game. Collingwood are a very good side and outclassed us in periods.

Same old story in a lot of ways. Missed some key set shots in the second quarter that meant we went into half time with a much smaller lead than we should have. Also the third quarter was absolutely awful, never seem to be able play four decent quarters.

Good for 3 quarters and pathetic for 1.
Sums it up.
Not good enough to beat the best sadly. Missing Jones and JJ big time.

Concerns:
Doc
Baz
Our leg speed
Our kicking inside 50 is a joke
Our set shots

The good:
Marra
Naughts
Gardy
Poulter

This draft I think we’re kidding ourselves if we think we’re going to trade a key back in. Our lack of speed and explosiveness in the middle is the biggest concern now. Top up with pace and hope we can add a decent backman in free agency or someone on the cheap.

End of the second through start of the fourth was diabolical. Conceding 10 goals to 1 in 40 minutes of football is the absolute worst of the Bev era on display yet again.

Thought the forward line worked as well as could be hoped. Lost the game in the contest and by our inability to match their spread when they were on top. But Naughts, Weightman and Marra were great.

Also the third quarter was absolutely awful, never seem to be able play four decent quarters.
Our currently gameplan is like sprinting/weightlifting non stop... impossible to do it for 4 quarters which is why good teams run over the top of us eventually.

Baz can be invested as he likes on his engine and fitness. It’ll all mean sweet fu** all if he’s not willing to put it out on the ground.

Based on his fitness he should be getting up and down as well as anyone.

Didn’t expect to win tonight. Glad that we didn’t get slaughtered when at one stage we were down by almost 40 points in the last quarter. So to fight back and limit the percentage impact was important.

Had we taken some easy chances that could have been a different result. McNeil, Cody and Bont missed sitters. Other than the third quarter we were pretty good. But that’s not good enough in the end.

However losing that game is not going to determine whether we make finals. Yes top 4 is highly unlikely now and probably always was. But the next 3 weeks will determine whether we play finals or not. Sydney, Essendon and Richmond. All teams fighting for a spot in the finals. All 8 point games. If we nail all three we play finals and probably finish 5th or 6th. Then we see what we can do from there.

Also I have to say, what Ryan Gardner did tonight was just so courageous and awesome. So many times I thought he was gone and somehow he just kept playing. Can’t see how he plays next week though so that will hurt even more with where our key defensive stocks are at. Credit to Gards, the pain must have been excruciating.

Remove this Banner Ad

Autopsy Dogs 77 lose to Pies 89

Remove this Banner Ad

Back