Autopsy Dogs 77 lose to Pies 89

Remove this Banner Ad

Pretty surprised at the negativity to be honest. Sucks that we lost but seriously they’ve lost two games all season and are the form team of the comp. A two goal loss is a long way from the worst case scenario.

Some of it was frustrating (particularly missed sitters, skill errors, Smith going missing etc) but the performance was a pretty solid one.

Evening all.

Long time reader first time poster. Haven’t felt the need to post before but the slagging off of bont by a couple of posters was pissing me off. I’ll get to that in a sec…

Expected result, but pleasing effort to not blow it out by a lot more. Thought it’d be worse. Heads shouldn’t drop too low after that, with a few ins in coming weeks. Stayed with them and outcompeted for big chunks. Agree that we are too slow and our tank too small to play the high pressure game needed to beat Collingwood for 4 quarters.

Those questioning bonts captaincy, you absolute trolls.

Equal high contested possessions of the game. You can see his on field leadership and communication from kilometres away. Listen to the way he speaks about the game afterwards- respectful and full of football smarts. Even when he doesn’t have the best game, he is still hands down the guy you want leading this team.

Poulter was composed and a pretty good user, I thought, apart from the hilarious run the wrong way at the start.

Forward line starting to click, a bit more chemistry in there tonight.

Collingwood too good but I feel more confident that we can still be in it at finals.

I’m not embarrassed by a 12-point to the ladder leaders.
True but I am concerned we have lost to Collingwood, Geelong, Melbourne and Port twice.

We need to eventually grow up as a football side because the above is damming.

Why, ‘cause people are speaking the truth. Our season was on the line tonight, and our leaders, Bont, English, Treloar, Smith did bugger all. You go to bed
Truth?

The loss was on English. You say. yeah all his fault. You clearly weren't at the game watching him bust his nut back to help the defenders, and then push just as hard forward.

Trade Smith, lol. How about play him in position before you throw the baby out.

And Bont not a captains arseh*le.. must have missed his 8 tackles (highest on the ground), 15 contested possessions (highest on the ground) his work rate back, but again you wouldn't have seen that eating your donuts on the couch.

So hobble off to bed u muppet.

Pretty surprised at the negativity to be honest.

Its because our fans care and know we have a talented group so they expect better.

Its like having a kid that gets dux in high school then a few years down the track they start doing drugs and alcohol and their standards drop and as a parent you dont know what you can do but be negative even though u love your kid :p

What's our record now against top 8 sides since the start of last year?

It was a decent fight back (when the game was over), but this is just our ceiling. We are basically a walking first week exit come finals time. We have the top end talent to drag us into that 5-8 range but there's just so many problems, they alone can't lift us up against decent teams.

Our footy hasn't been fun to watch for one and a half years, and even tonight we only played with the kind of aggressiveness and desperation needed when we were down and had to play that way. This loss shouldn't really change much about how we perceive the team, the results over last year and this are showing it all.

It's funny that with how the season is shaking out, top 4 still isn't impossible, but considering we are penciled in for another loss at Geelong...We'll be banking on another miracle finals run. Maybe with Jones and JJ back, with a now somewhat functioning forward line, who knows. Secure 5th, at least get a home final week 1, go from there.

If we play with the intensity we shown tonight every week. We will finish top 4. Collingwood are a classy team. And we should be proud of the fight back at the end.

Watching Jamarra play the way he did makes it a lot easier to cope with.

We are not finishing top 4. Could only catch Melbourne and they have a very favourable draw from here. Any of their harder games are at home. Lucky to finish 6th I reckon, I think we’ll just scrape into the finals but do nothing again

Truth?

The loss was on English. You say. yeah all his fault. You clearly weren't at the game watching him bust his nut back to help the defenders, and then push just as hard forward.

Trade Smith, lol. How about play him in position before you throw the baby out.

And Bont not a captains arseh*le.. must have missed his 8 tackles (highest on the ground), 15 contested possessions (highest on the ground) his work rate back, but again you wouldn't have seen that eating your donuts on the couch.

So hobble off to bed u muppet.
No doubt English helps around the ground but once again he was smashed in the ruck

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Who have we beaten this year? Brisbane on a Sunday afternoon before they got their game rolling? Adelaide in Ballarat is our biggest scalp. Pretty sad honestly. I dread when we get a Friday night fixture because the result is never good.

Very bittersweet, we’ve taken it to the best two comps in the side but just haven’t got over the line, Defensive woes going to haunt us

I just want us to seize the moment for once, big Friday night home game against the pies, get the win. Kind of over applauding a good effort... Can't win em all I guess

No doubt English helps around the ground but once again he was smashed in the ruck
Didn't say he won the ruck contests, he lost hitouts, but dogs still won clearances.

He wasn't as effective around the ground as usual, yet he had more impact than Cameron around the ground. English spoiled forward om a couple of occasions by his own teammate too, so didn't hit the scoreboard as he has this season.

Who have we beaten this year? Brisbane on a Sunday afternoon before they got their game rolling? Adelaide in Ballarat is our biggest scalp. Pretty sad honestly. I dread when we get a Friday night fixture because the result is never good.

Well 2 of our next 4 are Friday night games plus Thursday night next week, so is that bad?

We are a Petracca/DeGoey type in the middle, Jones and JJ back away from being a top 4 side.
How about a small forward presence from anyone not named Cody. Seriously get nothing from whichever combo of spuds we bring in for that role. Probably our biggest need going into the offseason

Pretty surprised at the negativity to be honest. Sucks that we lost but seriously they’ve lost two games all season and are the form team of the comp. A two goal loss is a long way from the worst case scenario.

Some of it was frustrating (particularly missed sitters, skill errors, Smith going missing etc) but the performance was a pretty solid one.

I think the negativity is being amplified by what's happened over the season and to a larger extent since the 2021 GF.

We had a horrendous start to the year but in the 5 matches we've lost since then we've been in positions to win all of them and yet we lost all of them in largely the same way, either missing easy shots or leaking goals from the back half and that was same the issue last year, nothing has changed.

There is no shame in losing but there is shame in losing the same way over and over again and that is what is so frustrating. Our system is so predictable that good teams carve us up week after week. We either kick a point or fail to bring it to ground inside our 50 and within a flash the opposition is having a shot at goal or they chip it around until they can find a way through the corridor. Our pressure forward of centre is non-existent and teams are capitalising on it.

The other thing is the stubbiness of the coaching staff (largely Bevo), backing a system week after week that is clearly not working at a standard for a top 8 team, gifting games to players that shouldn't be at senior level to just bizarre positional changes such as Lobb to the wing or refusing to put Macrae in the centre.

Think about how Melbourne scored against us the second half of the 2021 GF, there have been two full pre-seasons since then and yet the same issues plague the team.

Overall happy with the performance, can’t question the effort tonight and they stuck it out to the end.

Few critical moments cost us in the third quarter. JUH’s set shot just short and Bont misses a clear chance, Daicos capitalised at the other end.

Thought Gardner was very good tonight, Cox and Frampton had minimal impact and he battled through his ankle issue.

Elliott and Hill were left with too much space. Duryea is doing his best but well past it realistically. Quaynor dominated and our smalls couldn’t break even contests with him.

Great to see Naughts get back into form. JUH’s playing at a consistently high level, he’s going to break out very soon.

Middle couldn’t stop momentum shifts as we lost consecutive clearances at key moments. Bailey Smith, Lobb and JOD provided very little. Great to have Ed back

Remove this Banner Ad

Autopsy Dogs 77 lose to Pies 89

Remove this Banner Ad

Back