Opinion Dogs and Horses - The Racing Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Next Waiting

Norm Smith Medallist
Jan 19, 2014
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Trade, draft and pre-season runs a very poor second to horse racing for me at this time of year ... all the way through to mid April to be fair .... and I may not be the lone ranger here.

If you have no interest in horse racing, the thoroughbred variety (harness and hounds can fro), then now is probably a good time to return to the machinations and speculation of the trade and list management thread.

If you've made it this far then we may share a special bond and you may be similarly excited by what's in store this coming Saturday and beyond.

I'm off to Caufield on Saturday, and whilst I might not get to see a Jenni and Brightside rematch, there's plenty on offer. JMacs 100th Grp 1 looks an odds on with Broadsiding. Looking forward to seeing this horse .... even if it is from the crap new mounting yard .... the stables are great though.

Brightside will run around and do as he pleases without Jenni most likely.

The Toorak looks like a good edition. Not a huge field but the quality is there. I bet Another Wil and Desert Lightning would swap barriers if they could. Fascinating how the weight compression has panned out with Jenni's nomination. More losers than winners. But Another Wil and Desert Lightning definitely came out on the right side of it. Not so much those on the minimum weight.

Anyway, if you play this great game, this thread is for you. Pedigrees, breeding, sales, races, spring and autumn carnivals, international and punting. Heck, even the GWS supporter is welcome if he/she likes the geegees.

The decision to send Pride of Jenni to the the King Charles is an intriguing one. It's very clearly not the path that the trainer would choose but it's the one that the owner wants. Owner vs trainer is not new and a very delicate balance.

I'm siding with the trainer here. Travelling to Sydney, running to win (possibly on a wet track ... who knows), and then travelling again to back up in Melbourne 1 week later to take on the best WFA horses in the undisputed Australasian WFA title fight over 2040m seems like less than an ideal lead in.

I think the owner will regret this. There are too many moving parts and too much can go wrong. But in the unlikely event that he doesn't, and Jenni wins the King Charles and then backs up to win the Cox Plate, then it doesn't matter what happens for the rest of the season, she'll get horse of the year again and would be totally deserving. It's climbing Everest territory (the mountain not the newly annointed Grp 1 The Everest:)).

Work in the industry on a stud farm in NE Vic so this is right up my alley.

Have some pretty good mares on farm currently (Scandiva, Catchy, Sheidel to name a few) so I’m currently thrilled to bits. Have also worked with Rimraam (NZ), Volpe Veloce, Bella Orfana amongst others and prepped Station One as a yearling…I’ll quit the name dropping now 😂

Work in the industry on a stud farm in NE Vic so this is right up my alley.

Have some pretty good mares on farm currently (Scandiva, Catchy, Sheidel to name a few) so I’m currently thrilled to bits. Have also worked with Rimraam (NZ), Volpe Veloce, Bella Orfana amongst others and prepped Station One as a yearling…I’ll quit the name dropping now 😂
What are the mares in foal to?

What are the mares in foal to?
Scandiva in foal to Ozzmosis, Catchy is booked to Dundeel and Sheidel is booked to Stay Inside

Rimraam I think went back to IAI and VV I’m not sure as I don’t work where they are anymore. Bella Orfana sadly deceased

Scandiva in foal to Ozzmosis, Catchy is booked to Dundeel and Sheidel is booked to Stay Inside

Rimraam I think went back to IAI and VV I’m not sure as I don’t work where they are anymore. Bella Orfana sadly deceased

Had bit to do with some Dundeel’s, they can be hot buggers !

Trade, draft and pre-season runs a very poor second to horse racing for me at this time of year ... all the way through to mid April to be fair .... and I may not be the lone ranger here.

If you have no interest in horse racing, the thoroughbred variety (harness and hounds can fro), then now is probably a good time to return to the machinations and speculation of the trade and list management thread.

If you've made it this far then we may share a special bond and you may be similarly excited by what's in store this coming Saturday and beyond.

I'm off to Caufield on Saturday, and whilst I might not get to see a Jenni and Brightside rematch, there's plenty on offer. JMacs 100th Grp 1 looks an odds on with Broadsiding. Looking forward to seeing this horse .... even if it is from the crap new mounting yard .... the stables are great though.

Brightside will run around and do as he pleases without Jenni most likely.

The Toorak looks like a good edition. Not a huge field but the quality is there. I bet Another Wil and Desert Lightning would swap barriers if they could. Fascinating how the weight compression has panned out with Jenni's nomination. More losers than winners. But Another Wil and Desert Lightning definitely came out on the right side of it. Not so much those on the minimum weight.

Anyway, if you play this great game, this thread is for you. Pedigrees, breeding, sales, races, spring and autumn carnivals, international and punting. Heck, even the GWS supporter is welcome if he/she likes the geegees.
Had a nice collect on Desert Lightning last week.👍
It’s first up run was very good.

I used to follow it in NZ, I had a very close relative of him.
Our filly also by Pride Of Dubai ,was out of a sister to the dam of Desert Lightning.

She made the Karaka Million field, but sadly we cooked her chasing black type.
11 2yr old starts 😩

🤦‍♂️I need to renew my stud book membership. At first glance the Scandiva/Ozzmosis should be a speed machine. Not too many nicks on the 5 cross but speed aplenty on the dam line and dam sires.

I'll have a look at the rest later.

I love this sh1t!

Our filly also by Pride Of Dubai ,was out of a sister to the dam of Desert Lightning.

11 2yr old starts 😩
Geebus Harold. 11 at 2!

I'm a big fan of Desert Lightning. Had some very good collects on him last season. He's flying under the radar a bit here. If he'd been more tractable as a 2 and 3yr old he'd have have won Grp 1s at 2, 3 and 4. He wasn't so didn't but did last season. The talent has always been there. His brain caught up last season......

Moroney has a half brother to him by Per Incanto in Melbourne. Or at least he did last season. Pretty sure he won at the valley one day I was there. Didn't back it and then saw its dam in the racebook and looked for a cat to whip.....

Season 5 Yes GIF by Paramount+

(Log in to remove this ad.)

🤦‍♂️I need to renew my stud book membership. At first glance the Scandiva/Ozzmosis should be a speed machine. Not too many nicks on the 5 cross but speed aplenty on the dam line and dam sires.

I'll have a look at the rest later.

I love this sh1t!
should be a speed machine, although I don’t think any of her previous foals have set the world on fire. You would hope that this one might buck the curve 😬

I reckon there's 5 of us. The other two are just lurking at the moment to see if this thread has legs ... good legs .. especially knees ...

11 2yr old starts 😩
The Pride of Dubais need time it seems. We can see that now but it's hard to know early days. The good ones have serious talent but looks like their heads take a while to match the athleticism.

But ... if you still hold an interest in that filly, Desert Lightning can do you some big favours on the pedigree page. What is she, essentially a 3/4 sister?

I think I’ll have nightmares about things being over at the knee
The first horse I ever bought had knee troubles. Prepped as an autumn 2 yr old, showed more than a hint of promise and then chipped a knee in a trial before scheduled debut:mad:.

Then you have to make a decision. Is it promising enough (an unraced horse) to warrant the expense and associated rehab of knee surgery. He debuted as a spring 3yr old, 7 months after surgery and won by 6 lengths.

The first horse I ever bought had knee troubles. Prepped as an autumn 2 yr old, showed more than a hint of promise and then chipped a knee in a trial before scheduled debut:mad:.

Then you have to make a decision. Is it promising enough (an unraced horse) to warrant the expense and associated rehab of knee surgery. He debuted as a spring 3yr old, 7 months after surgery and won by 6 lengths.
Geez it’s a roll of the dice isn’t it.

Remove this Banner Ad

Opinion Dogs and Horses - The Racing Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Back