Autopsy Dogs apparently NOT out coached again... but still find a way to lose 78 v 73

Remove this Banner Ad

Ok I finally agree with my fellow bulldogs folkes, it’s time for bevo to go. With this list to just make finals and go out week 1 is not good enough. I honestly don’t think we will beat Richmond next week. Or make finals this year which is a fail. Who do we get? The successful applicant needs to get rid of all assistant coaches.

Buss is only one of two top 14 picks who haven't made their debut yet. With a defence that has featured Gardner, Keath, Bruce and JoD it's surprising. I understand that he hasn't been great in the VFL but it's still strange. Be shocked if he doesn't make his debut this week.

Bailey Dale was pretty good today.

Season on the line and we kick 1 goal to their 3 in the past with the breeze.

So many vfl players in this side.

Coach totally out played in the 2nd half. Surely we don’t play finals now and the coach walks.
That was a real coach killing game. 29 points up in a low scoring game and still find a way to lose

I love Bont. Great player. Arguably our best ever, according to many.

But the absolute lack of confidence in his own set shot goalkicking manifested itself early in the game, when he had a 40m shot on a slight angle and a left footer's fat side to kick the first goal of the game. Instead he happily dished off to Smith. Wind was a factor, but at that stage it would have held a straight-ish kick nicely to float through. Baz being slightly closer had a bit more protection from the stand, but I would question if that's what Bont was reasoning when he passed it. He knows it, we know it. It's the one major flaw in his game. Not critical to dish off halfway through the first quarter - but I really hope he can work through it with whoever can assist - he needs to be striding back to line up those shots and kicking purposefully.

Yes, but it did get me first goal $205 😉

The game plan that would’ve had us up by 9 goals by halfway through the 3rd had we kicked straight.

Was it our s**t game plan that dominated the opposition for 2 and a half quarters?

Imagine if we had a decent game plan, we’d win by 20 goals each week.
In all seriousness Charlie. Do you really think Bevo coached well today?
And do you really think our gameplan stands up for 4 quarters against any decent opposition?

What does he expect when he doesn’t pick one genuine small forward though? I mean, he picks guys like Scott as a small forwards and wonders why it comes out so easy? What other outcome can you expect when you don’t pick 1 genuine pressure forward?
TBF we don't have an abundance of them (small fwds). However, the tone of his presser suggested to me that that was the area of the ground that will come under the most scrutiny this week. One or two small fwd changes/adjustments would not surprise so you're likely to get a result there.

But, as has already been suggested, a 5 point loss that many rotations down is not the end of the world. We more than likely to make finals and there's time to find a solution to that which ails us. Personally, I'd prefer to focus on solutions to known problems to get us as far as we can go this year. And, FTR, I don't see Bevo as a problem that has to be solved. Some of the talent at his disposal and some of the players' application and judgement I do.

JUH's disposal/ goal kicking was shite again. needs to develop so he hurts opposition where it counts
His biggest problem today was when the ball hit the deck and he was in a one on one situation, he either overran it or was shunted off the ball with ease and the ball came gushing out of forward fifty. He was a big part of the problem today.
(Yes I understand he is a young player and he is going to get better etc)

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Some of the talent at his disposal and some of the players' application and judgement I do.

Virtually the entire list has been recruited during his tenure. Sure he's not Sam Power or Dom Milesi, but that list is to a degree of his making.

This isn't directed specifically at you NW, but there have been a number of previous posts on this board by others about how he is hamstrung by the quality of the list. He has a significant say in the composition of the list, or the type of players he's requiring Power and Milesi to bring in to the club.

He would surely be the only one ?
Hope we are making squillions out this joint , cause doubt anyone else is a fan .
Can’t imagine the squad think it being a great place to give up a true home game for 🙁
They are supposed to be professional footballers. I get why we sell games and ours are only just out of town, unlike the other clubs that are interstate, and what a beautiful town it is. I hated the last quarter and a half but loved the rest of the day. As I mentioned yesterday, I really enjoy the atmosphere at the Ballarat games, how did you enjoy it up there today?
We lost because we were out coached by a great up and coming coach, who is getting the most out of his players, nothing to do with not playing under a roof.

He would surely be the only one ?
Hope we are making squillions out this joint , cause doubt anyone else is a fan .
Can’t imagine the squad think it being a great place to give up a true home game for 🙁
I went today and it’s my last time. Crap views, freezing cold even on a nice day. Only positive was getting to put the Jimny into 4wd to park on a wet grass verge.

On selection this week
I thought Baker was pretty good week before, surely he plays ahead of Scott and VDM on form ?
Adds more run than Scott offers.

Maybe lineball but Scott really only 1 in 3 good games.

People aren't even criticising Bevo for the things that actually cost us. When West came on and played forward, we incorrectly pushed Weightman and not Scott onto the wing. They kicked two goals in the third moving the ball through Weightman having no idea how to play the position, before we took Scott out the forward line and sent Weightman back there.

Clearly with no Baker and having to send Williams back (which he didn't prepare for so can't fault him for not playing that well) we were structurally underpepared with Poulter etc. at various times confused in which group 6 of he was actually playing in. Cleary and Gardner are still inexperienced enough that we didn't have great leadership and communication down there - Duryea was trying to play his own game and basically coach 6 others players too.

It's highly unfortunate and disappointing but destiny still well and truly remains in our hands, nothing about this loss makes me think we shouldn't be confident in winning all of our remaining fixtures in any case.
Do you genuinely believe we will win all of our remaining games? Are you high?

When Bont went quiet how about putting him behind the ball for a bit. He reads the play better than anyone, can help out in air and on ground. Plus give him some freedom from the tag. Surely that is one thing to consider.

Really hope one week we play a wing combination of Baker, JJ, with Scott, Smith, Treloar, Macrae rotating through.

Let's keep our best players around the ball and let small forwards be small forwards

Virtually the entire list has been recruited during his tenure. Sure he's not Sam Power or Dom Milesi, but that list is to a degree of his making.

This isn't directed specifically at you NW, but there have been a number of previous posts on this board by others about how he is hamstrung by the quality of the list. He has a significant say in the composition of the list, or the type of players he's requiring Power and Milesi to bring in to the club.
For all that though GJ79, I think it's still winnable with this list. Far from easy but possible. Application, intent and judgement can trump the deficit in talent we have in some areas and that is something that can be addressed in season. The talent deficit not.

We have at least 2 influential players yet to return (L Jones and Richards). But the small forward issue looks to be a prominent one given our known pedestrian pace in the midfield who are both our strength and weakness. Their lack of pace needs protection from the forwards in a couple of ways. The fwds need to maximise the opportunities to score that the midfield present them with in order to exert scoreboard pressure, and equally, to close the rebound exits with intent and persistence because once the oppo break the fwd line, the midfield doesn't have the pace to get close enough to stop them.

I feel the forward line broadly is going to feel Bevo's boot firmly in its arse. The slower small fwds or those not applying themselves are vulnerable because it's critical if we are to achieve the possible.

The reality is, Bevo didn't move Naughton back because it's the obvious move and media have been suggesting it. Stubborn fool.

I could see the logic if we were down by 30.. Or had the wind advantage... Or close game at Marvel with no scoring end... Or he wasn't copping an absolute bath from Taylor.

Up by 35 points he had to go back for atleast that quarter.

And those stoppages in our forward half.. Could see from a mile away what was happening if they won the clearance. The fact we didn't put numbers behind the ball and shut that quarter down is absolutely inexcusable.

GWS showed how easy it was in those last couple of minutes. Send 2 players behind the ball. Yet we cough up two late easy third quarter goals by having an absolute pathetic game day coach. Giving them the momentum and a real sniff heading into the last.

Infuriating.

Remove this Banner Ad

Autopsy Dogs apparently NOT out coached again... but still find a way to lose 78 v 73

Remove this Banner Ad

Back