Game Day DOGS v FREO 6.10pm - Finals or Bust, All or Nothing.

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Even if it weren't for a spot in the finals we would want to win it for this bloke.

Congrats Mitch on 150 games. Getting better every season.

He's on 99 goals as well, so one more today to get the ton

Omens:

- only saw 1 bulldog on my walk today - last game day I saw 2 (what can this mean?)

- Wallis milestone game - traditional stinker performance? (Hopefully not affected by this bulldog malaise - Wally doesn't drink his own bathwater)

- lucky meal will be consumed pre match (although haven't done stats on success pattern - this is really only game day meal)

Nervous

Sent from my SM-A505YN using Tapatalk

Just popping in here to give a quick shout out of support. North another team that will be on the Doggie's bandwagon today. We do NOT want the Dees making the finals due to the first round draft pick exchange we engineered with them last year.

Win this game please, push deep into September/October and continue Melbourne's descent into purgatory. In reality you should win this game easily.
Thanks for that. At least if we lose now, we can take some small solace in the knowledge that we've compounded Norfs misery. Much appreciated.

I don’t mind Gary Lyon and I’ve never thought the commentary has a lot of effect on the final result.
Same here. I don't particularly like him but whether it's him or Derwayne or somebody else the commentary doesn't bug me as much as it seems to bug others.

I used to like McAvaney in his early days but now I find him a bit irritating - mainly for the excessive adulation and lack of any searching analysis.

Commentators who haven't played footy at the top level need to bring something extra and I don't think McAvaney has it any more. Denis Cometti had it and perhaps Anthony Hudson does too.

If they don't offer a great turn of phrase or some fresh insights then the minimum you should expect of a good commentator is that they are like a good umpire during play - you don't really notice them.

It goes without saying that the commentary has zero effect on the game result but they DO have an effect on how the MRO and the AFL generally respond to events later in the week. They are aware of their influence and sometimes they try to exploit it. (e.g. ex-teammate strikes an opponent: "Nothing to see there - he's got nothing to worry about" or - in different circumstances - "That's one the MRO will definitely have a close look at, he could be in trouble".)

Season is in our hands at this point in time.

I should add the commentary mainly seems to bother people when we're losing.

Maybe we're trying to fix the wrong problem? :think:

Honestly even if we're winning, there is blatant barracking against us. Just have to look at the Melbourne or Essendon games or literally any game that Alastair Lynch has been involved in.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Season is in our hands at this point in time.

Honestly even if we're winning, there is blatant barracking against us. Just have to look at the Melbourne or Essendon games or literally any game that Alastair Lynch has been involved in.
Ah yes, Alastair Lynch. I forgot about him. Campaigner of the first order ... but I still don't listen much to his commentary.

Anyway I think we get our fair share of adulation from time to time but we tend to forget it. Everybody was on our side in September/October 2016.

It's a bit like umps - when the frees go against us they're filthy stinking cheats but when the frees go our way we quickly forget the dubious calls and just rave about how well our boys are playing.

Too be honest I hate all commentary regardless of score. It’s a big part of the image of the game, not just the low scoring. But that’s another thread.

Even if it weren't for a spot in the finals we would want to win it for this bloke.

Congrats Mitch on 150 games. Getting better every season.

Our run of winning milestone has not been great of late so hopefully we can turn it around this evening...

Dickson 100th vs. Collingwood - LOSS
Wood 150th vs. Collingwood - LOSS

Macrae 150th vs. Richmond - LOSS
Daniel 100th vs. Richmond - LOSS

Our last milestone win was in 2018 for Dale Morris' 250th against North,

Our run of winning milestone has not been great of late so hopefully we can turn it around this evening...

Dickson 100th vs. Collingwood - LOSS
Wood 150th vs. Collingwood - LOSS

Macrae 150th vs. Richmond - LOSS
Daniel 100th vs. Richmond - LOSS

Our last milestone win was in 2018 for Dale Morris' 250th against North,
So you're saying we win every milestone game when it's against a side outside the top 8?

I'll take that!

I should add the commentary mainly seems to bother people when we're losing.

Maybe we're trying to fix the wrong problem? :think:

It bothers me regardless of who is winning and regardless of who is playing. The commentary teams at both Fox and Seven are absolute dog shit and need to be better. Gary Lyon knows less about the modern game than your average bigfooty poster. I watch a lot of NRL and in my opinion the commentary is heaps better.

Edit: There are some AFL commentators whom I enjoy listening to. Hudson, Richo and Riewoldt are all pretty good. I like Luke Hodge's special comments. I don't like those guys any more or any less when we are losing.

It bothers me regardless of who is winning and regardless of who is playing. The commentary teams at both Fox and Seven are absolute dog sh*t and need to be better. Gary Lyon knows less about the modern game than your average bigfooty poster. I watch a lot of NRL and in my opinion the commentary is heaps better.
Not disagreeing with the poor standard of commentary. Just that it doesn't bother me during a game all that much.

Perhaps my expectations are so low that they can't underachieve?

By comparison (though a different sport) I have found Matthew Keenan an excellent anchor commentator for the Tour de France. Like Hudson he knows just when (and how) to get the viewers excited. Robbie McEwan can be annoying when he strays off topic but he's excellent when he focusses on the cycling. Bridie O'Donnell is a good recent addition too.

It's amazing what SBS has been able to do in sport over the years with a smallish budget. The wealthier networks seem lazy and unimaginative by comparison. Just relying on a few tech tricks and the fact that they have a monopoly on the TV rights for the most popular spectator sport in the country.

If the game was at Metricon (where it should have been played given we have only had 8 home games vs Freo’s 10) I’d be very confident.

Cairns and the conditions bring an unknown element.

as per usual the game will he won and lost in the midfield

This year the start has mattered more than ever before.

I don’t care if we are far in front at quarter time (of course that would be great) but what I want to see is the manic pressure - at every possession on the chain - nothing better than seeing:- ‘close, closer, turnover’

Bring that and we win.

If the game was at Metricon (where it should have been played given we have only had 8 home games vs Freo’s 10) I’d be very confident.

Cairns and the conditions bring an unknown element.

as per usual the game will he won and lost in the midfield

I think the Dogs have played there yearly enough times to know the ground and conditons

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back