Dons want Buddy!!!

Remove this Banner Ad

Doubt Buddy will leave, but his chances of getting to Essendon for nothing are 0%. Essendon themselves know that too, after all, they were the 3rd party in the Veale deal ;)

amos said:
Doubt Buddy will leave, but his chances of getting to Essendon for nothing are 0%. Essendon themselves know that too, after all, they were the 3rd party in the Veale deal ;)

^IF they are finish last, they could possibly get him for nothing. We will have to force a trade which could and most probably leave us getting severly ripped off. But getting a player in return is better then letting Franklin go for free in the PSD.

Roughie said:
^IF they are finish last, they could possibly get him for nothing. We will have to force a trade which could and most probably leave us getting severly ripped off. But getting a player in return is better then letting Franklin go for free in the PSD.

Doubt he'll go to the PSD.

Some other Club will offer something decent if The Dons just rely on the PSD or offer a 2nd rounder or whatever. Thus, you prob wouldn't do TOO bad out of it as a Club may be willing to part way with a 1st rounder or a 2nd rounder & a player.

It's only if he wants to go to Essendon. Which seems a bit weird. Can't see him wanting to go there, surely there'd be a Club offering something "close" to what the Dons are.

Roughie said:
Well that's exactly what the Veale deal was. Hawthorn didn't want to lose Rawlings for nothing in the PSD, so found another way to get compensated, with the connivance of the Doggies. Lochlan Veale, a Box Hill seconds player, was the pawn. The "Veale deal" was an ingenious method of sending Rawlings to the Bulldogs, against his will, with Hawthorn gaining the draft pick it needed to do business with Essendon.

I personally doubt Buddy will be traded, but Hawthorn's hardline won't be pushed around trading is second to probably only Port Adelaide in the competition.

have you guys ever considered that buddy might be a don supporter, cause if i was him and i had a chance to play for my team that i supported as a kid i would go even if they are last on the ladder, cause the chance might not come again.

oh and esendon wont be down for long

well, if it premiership success you want, and you had a flat choice of essendon and hawthorn, you would go to essendon.

funny, the hawks, who have been stung by chick and macpharlin going home to WA, must have figured out that franklin was certainly not that way inclined, and would go anywhere to play his football.

with that being the case, why the hell should he stay at the hawks? he owes them no allegience, and if he can get better terms and more cash at essendon, why shouldnt he just go?

zero said:
he owes them no allegience, and if he can get better terms and more cash at essendon, why shouldnt he just go?

I don't agree with that. Surely if you had been drafted by a club and time and money had been spent on developing you as a player, you owe that club some sort of allegience.

I don't think loyalty or allegience really comes into it anymore, it might with some players but there is too much money around now for players to be that loyal anymore. Years ago it mattered, now I think a lot of players just want to play and earn good money. Loyalty went out with the 90's.

The Hawks have done well out of the past few drafts and are on their way up, bit surprised with them this year though I thought they would have a few more wins on the board. I think Essendon have a long long way to go before anyone can start talking premierships.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Warwick said:
I don't agree with that. Surely if you had been drafted by a club and time and money had been spent on developing you as a player, you owe that club some sort of allegience.
yes and no, i dont see the difference between that and any other skilled or career workplace. my employer has spent months and a ****eload of cash training me up to use their systems and get me familiar with their methods, but that doesent mean i shouldnt leave if someone offered me more cash or better conditions.

and i tell you what, one less chaperone and an extra 60k per year would shift me pretty goddamn quick!

Essendon footy club wouldn't being doing their job if they didn't approach every uncontract player with some promising football ability. It's clear to everyone that they need to improve their playing list.

This is why you take serious consideration when drafting early picks and ensure that there attitude and muturity levels are satisfactory.

This poor attitude/personality of buddy is now looking at costing the hawks their 4th pick!

no31 said:
Essendon footy club wouldn't being doing their job if they didn't approach every uncontract player with some promising football ability. It's clear to everyone that they need to improve their playing list.
This looks like negotiation in the media. Franklin's agent, will have "leaked" that tidbit which appears in this morning's Age. Essendon get named because it is the most likely first off pre season draft pick. Don't be surprised if Franklin signs on again at Hawthorn for a bit more than the $200,000.00 allegedly offered to him.

It’s all bad for Hawthorn. They either lose a player they had trumpeted as a marquee player or they pay a lot to keep him after a few clubs bid his price over the odds.

Hawkk said:
The concern to Hawthorn is managing the salary cap, it depends how vital Franklin sits with the 10 or so other first round draft picks that have been recruited over the last 2 drafts.

This was my concern with such a heavy influx of young talent.
It’s 3 to 5 years too early for salary cap troubles to start biting. These guys are unproven. If Hawthorn have salary cap trouble now then they are in serious strife. Personally I doubt it. They should have a hell of a lot of space right now. The danger with this situation is that they sign him to an over the odds contract to keep him and then set in place benchmarks for others to target.
Warwick said:
I don’t agree. If you force people to go to whoever drafts them against their will then it is up to the club to turn them around and if they can’t then too bad. It’s a one way market and buyer beware. Clubs invest in their draftees for entirely selfish reasons and the players are cut easily enough if they don’t measure up quickly enough or get a few injuries and can’t perform.

If Hawthorn give Buddy the money he wants what about the other young first round draft picks will they be happy with their contracts

Remove this Banner Ad

Dons want Buddy!!!

Remove this Banner Ad

Back