Don't want, (or need) to start a new thread - still want to post it though

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
This scrutiny of major sports sponsors is here to stay. I doubt any of them have lily white records, and I doubt any of them welcome this level of scrutiny. We’ve also moved on from ‘all publicity is good publicity’. Because it isn’t anymore.

I have no interest in netball, but as a mainly female sport I want it to prosper.

I have sympathy for Wallam’s initial position of not wanting to wear the Hancock logo, named after that hideous man. If she’s changed her mind, I have sympathy for that too. She’s at the start of an international career - who could blame her for wavering?

None of this is easy, there are no simple solutions, and these sponsors prop up many sports. Maybe they will be less prevalent in the future? Or maybe they will face their truths, and find ways to address their historical transgressions?

Interesting times ahead for sports sponsors.

It is a difficult issue.

My vibe at the moment is that any view of things which regards sportspeople as something more than human billboards is a good thing.

It's interesting how the sports that Hancock is involved with have all come out and made media statements stating how much they love the Hancock's sponsorship..... and yet Hancock has said nothing to show support of these sports. If I was judging these relationships, there seems to be a significant imbalance. All these parties speak about a partnership, it seems to be more of a parent-child relationship....or more accurately an employer-employee relationship. The sporting organisations seems to be living in fear.

It should also be remembered that Hancock broke its relationship with netball WA, who didnt do anything. I havent read a word in the media about the injustice of that decision.

The other thing that puzzles me is that hancock refers to mismanagement within netball australia. I would have thought that a big multinational corporation could have helped out in a partnership. Maybe sporting organisations dont want any advice from their sponsors in this area, but i dont see a problem with a large corporation offering advice, as opposed to just running away.

My final thought is that the sports fan needs to be a bit more discerning about how they view these sponsorships. I used to grit my teeth when eddie used to lavish praise on emirates airlines. I think it's reasonable to note the money they provide, but if corporations are going to paste their names all over jumpers and having players being unofficial spokepeople for them, then we may as well sell the clubs to private entities and I'll go and read some books.

Gina mightn't like seeing sports mixed with politics, but I dont want to see the sports i like as just another business.

Living in a relatively free society allows each individual to make that decision.

VW is not the same organisation it was in 20th century (dieselgate aside). If I'm charged with growing a club/sport, I'd welcome their dollars today, even if Jewish people participated in said sport. The AFL club known as Sydney agree with this.

Respectfully, the crimes perpetrated by Volkswagen against humanity aren't something that should or could ever be forgiven or forgotten.

Respectfully, the crimes perpetrated by Volkswagen against humanity aren't something that should or could ever be forgiven or forgotten.

Their Nazi era war crimes shouldn't.

I don't drive VWs but would be open to purchasing today. They are not the same organisation.

EDIT: I have also owned Mitsus. :)

Last edited:
Their Nazi era war crimes shouldn't.

I don't drive VWs but would be open to purchasing today. They are not the same organisation.

EDIT: I have also owned Mitsus. :)
The difference being Volkswagen's denouncement of Nazism, reparations payed to survivors, commissioning an independent history of VW (which it is quite transparent about) and championing corporate reparations in general.

I don't think Gina has publicly denounced the comment, which was made when she was 34. I don't know that they're quite analogous, despite community work Rinehart may have funded - in her name, not Hancock's.

The difference being Volkswagen's denouncement of Nazism, reparations payed to survivors, commissioning an independent history of VW (which it is quite transparent about) and championing corporate reparations in general.

I don't think Gina has publicly denounced the comment, which was made when she was 34. I don't know that they're quite analogous, despite community work Rinehart may have funded - in her name, not Hancock's.

I was the one that raised the comparison with jews and VW as a way of asking whether people would question whether a jew had the right to feel bad about wearing VW's logo. I raised that comparison because it seems to me that it is accepted in western society that jews have this right. I wasn't compariing what VW has done in the past or what it has done since....

The reason that I made the comparison was to support the view that Wallam had the right to feel bad about wearing the logo of a company begun by a man who made racist comments, and that she had the right to express her view and act on it.

People seem to go off on tangents to this central issue and start talking about things like virtue signalling....which might be the case for people who took up the cause, but I cant see how it relates to Wallam. She was merely taking her role as an ingigenous representative seriously. And I would support the team for supporting her and I would suggest netball australia is trying to compensate, mend or refurbish an ordinary relationship with indigenous women in the past.

I understand and you're right re: VW's actions but I don't think VW's war crimes are comparable to Hancock's racist ramblings.

This doesn't mean Gina isn't a pig of a human but I don't think she or anyone else should have to live their lives as apologies for crap their folks said. I certainly wouldn't want things my parents may have said held against me.

EDIT: The indigenous player had a perfect right to not wear the logo (even if she later changed her mind for the team) and the sponsor had a right to walk away (if the contract allowed for this). Not every story in life has a happy ending. 🤷‍♂️

Last edited:
the cricket world cup is providing some entertainment to me. the game between pakistan and india was watchable from start to end. The australian games are worth a look to some degree. The rest of the games are ho hum. The west indies play the aussies in the tests and that will be missable. the big bash is a big bore. On other fronts, the NBA is like watching repeats. Wake me up in march.

Footy or EPL for me.
Pies and Liverpool. All other sports seem a bore
I like a good summer of cricket.
Tour de France is awesome, along with the Olympics.
We differ on Liverpool, hate them.
Man U the only team.

I like a good summer of cricket.
Tour de France is awesome, along with the Olympics.
We differ on Liverpool, hate them.
Man U the only team.

i like the crashes in the cycling and when people get on the road and make contact with the bikes. That's all good stuff.

Cricket is like listening to rap songs. You hear them once or twice and then the novelty wears off.

I like soccer if they score but I must admit I'm becoming like a soccer fan these days and scoring isn't really that appealing. I like what they call "simulation" lol....what a great term....diving... I like the action replays afterwards where you can see the guy wasnt even touched. I like to see how they manage to get back in the play - i think this is the most appealing. I've seen guys who werent touched keep acting until they are taken off.....probably just wanted an early night off.

i like the crashes in the cycling and when people get on the road and make contact with the bikes. That's all good stuff.

Cricket is like listening to rap songs. You hear them once or twice and then the novelty wears off.

I like soccer if they score but I must admit I'm becoming like a soccer fan these days and scoring isn't really that appealing. I like what they call "simulation" lol....what a great term....diving... I like the action replays afterwards where you can see the guy wasnt even touched. I like to see how they manage to get back in the play - i think this is the most appealing. I've seen guys who werent touched keep acting until they are taken off.....probably just wanted an early night off.
You don’t get as much acting in the EPL.
Only the AFL compares for passion and drama.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

You don’t get as much acting in the EPL.
Only the AFL compares for passion and drama.

i dont watch much of that crap but I was watching something a few weeks back and they were going down like flies....

jack ginnivan gets called out for marginal stuff...the commentators analyse his every move and say that he is ducking his head....

but the pommie commentators look at their replays and its so obvious that the bloke was staging but they never say a word. And the guy is trying to get his opponent yellow carded or better still red carded....it's all part of the strategy to improve the teams chances at goal scoring. It's worse cheating than what ginnivan is trying to do ....and no one says a word....

I mean I love it....it's great fun to see these guys drop like someone has shot them...lol...

i dont watch much of that crap but I was watching something a few weeks back and they were going down like flies....

jack ginnivan gets called out for marginal stuff...the commentators analyse his every move and say that he is ducking his head....

but the pommie commentators look at their replays and its so obvious that the bloke was staging but they never say a word. And the guy is trying to get his opponent yellow carded or better still red carded....it's all part of the strategy to improve the teams chances at goal scoring. It's worse cheating than what ginnivan is trying to do ....and no one says a word....

I mean I love it....it's great fun to see these guys drop like someone has shot them...lol...
It doesn't happen to often in EPL.
Other leagues yes for sure.. often resulting in a red card.

It doesn't happen to often in EPL.
Other leagues yes for sure.. often resulting in a red card.

Here's what we call proof where someone gives examples of all the cheating.. the article - not surprisingly - is a week or two old.

I cant paste it for some reason....

Here's an example for the Liverpool fans but the articles names more serial offenders. Does the EPL pay money to keep their traps shut? I've raised this issue here a couple of times and people come out of the woodwork to say that players dont dive....

Luis Suarez (Liverpool)​

10 OF 10
  1. But what list of divers would be complete without Liverpool's Luis Suarez, who is perhaps one of the biggest divers not just in the EPL, but also in world football?
    The Uruguayan international has dominated diving news lately, with Stoke City manager Tony Pulis stating that he should be banned for his pathetic attempts to win penalties (per FoxSports.com).
    Reds manager Brendan Rodgers has hit back at the critics—as has Suarez—but at the end of the day, there is little debate as to whether or not the 26-year-old is one of the worst in the English Premier League.
    He is one of the worst offenders and the diving tag has well and truly stuck. As it should.

I love the way everyone wants to take a whack at jonbe54 , & then get lonely when they are put on ignore.

I was put on ignore simply for disagreeing with him. Quite politely.

Realising his softness, I started whacking him for my own gratification.

I had to read that last sentence twice

We now you've made me read my own writing, and I can see that 'whacking' and 'gratification' probably don't belong in the same sentence in this context.

I won't change it. I am who I am...

Deep down you hope he is still reading your posts & yearn for the day he will respond to your unrequited need for a battle.

Not so much. Or not at all.

I don't feel the need to talk about anything with anyone who is allergic to contrary opinions.

But analyse me some more. Why am I still wearing pyjama pants in the late afternoon?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back