No Oppo Supporters Double-Death-Riding Carlton 2019 Edition - Currently Pick 1 and 19

What month will Bolton be sacked?

• April

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • May

Votes: 1 3.6%
  • June

Votes: 3 10.7%
  • July

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • August

• September

• He won't get the sack this year

Votes: 22 78.6%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Don’t know. But he’s never been afraid of ditching players or playing untried guys

That was the alleged rumour at the time
Who knows! Whatever the case he went there and they've been a disaster since. Not that you can souly blame one person for all of it I just found the way he got the job so tacky. Felt sorry for Ratten who had Malthouse using his position in the media to get him sacked and take his job. Scummy way to get the gig and really set the precedent.

Rowell or Anderson. Back yourself in to retain them. Suns have backed themselves in taking Rankine and Luko. It's also working for the Lions.
If it's toss up between Rowell and Anderson I would go with Anderson at 190cm at 84kg, Rowell is 178cm at 75kg.
But its still early.

Carlton’s dirty dozen: Jon Ralph analyses 12 key reasons the battling Blues are 1-6 after seven rounds
1. Carlton’s forward line pressure is non-existent.

The Blues have often played three or four forwards over 190cm and as a result the ball rebounds out at speed.

Harry McKay, Levi Casboult and Charlie Curnow are all in the bottom 10 per cent of key forwards for pressure, with Mitch McGovern also below average.

The above average pressure players are Michael Gibbons and David Cuningham, with the Blues forced to play Cam Poulson for that role.

Unfortunately he’s not even an elite pressure player and offers very little offensively.

2. Lochie O’Brien is only 18 games into his career but being asked to play a significant role on the wing.
It’s not working. The No.10 pick of the 2017 national draft is the worst of 35 regular wingmen in the competition.

He has the worst rating for ball-winning and pressure, meaning he isn’t good on any side of the ball. He is also in the bottom 10 per cent for contested possessions and metres gained.

In a modern game where modern wingmen are critical as covering players running back and offensive players with space to burn, it’s a real issue.

3. Carlton rarely wins the ball back from its opponent.

It is rated 16th for tackle differential and officially has poor pressure. And it wins only 35 points from intercepts, about half what most teams do.

As a result it has to rely on kicking goals from stoppages and is 16th for time in its forward half and 17th for forward half differential. It’s not sustainable when most teams win the ball back inside their own half.
4. The recruits haven’t had the instant impact the Blues hoped.

Mitch McGovern was running into form when he was injured with 10 goals in six games, but Will Setterfield’s impact was negligible before he was suspended.

The Blues gave up a 2018 third-round pick and their 2019 second-rounder for him but Champion Data rates him the worst mid-forward in the league of the 28 players to play four games.

On its official player ratings he is on 3.8 points, with the next worst 6.6 points — almost twice as bad as the next worst player.

5. Caleb Marchbank is just going.

He is an elite aerobic athlete but in the bottom 10 per cent of defenders, averaging just 49 ranking points in his five games.

At his best he is an interceptor who kicks it well, but he is averaging just 3.4 intercept possessions a game and kicking the ball at 61 per cent.

6. Paddy Dow hasn’t kicked above 50 per cent efficiency for the past four games.

He is now only the third-worst kick in the AFL — ahead of Andrew Brayshaw and Jack Viney — but is 17 per cent below the AFL average for kick rating.

Against North Melbourne he kicked the ball at 17 per cent efficiency, after 42 per cent, 20 per cent and 28 per cent in the previous three games. Like O’Brien he is being asked to play a significant midfield role in his second year but while he is averaging 18 possessions he just can’t hit a target.

7. Charlie Curnow.

After only one contested mark in his first three games he at least took two against North Melbourne as he amassed 16 possessions. But a player said to be the star of this generation has only two goals for the year and is one of the worst key forwards in the league for marks inside 50. For all his aerobic gifts he rarely turns his opponent around and wins the ball running back towards goal.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

But apart from that ....Carlton are really well positioned with a great list

FFS ignoramis Ralph :mad: who is easily the dumbest media commentator to ever luck a job .......Carlton last weekend had 14 players with under 50 games .....WTF do you expect ....oh that's right, trying to stay relevant :rolleyes:

Rowell or Anderson. Back yourself in to retain them. Suns have backed themselves in taking Rankine and Luko. It's also working for the Lions.
5-6 years ago I would be worried doing this, not about our ability to keep them but if they go we were getting screwed way to often. But Since Reidy has taken over the wheeling and dealing we have been coming out on top more often than not. So if we take Anderson (my choice) and he wants to leave so be it, but the club picking him can't get him cheap. We need to walk away with a smile on our face after the deal. Lets hope he chooses Carlton because SOS will sell the farm.

But apart from that ....Carlton are really well positioned with a great list

FFS ignoramis Ralph :mad: who is easily the dumbest media commentator to ever luck a job .......Carlton last weekend had 14 players with under 50 games .....WTF do you expect ....oh that's right, trying to stay relevant :rolleyes:

Their players have played a combined 2549 games
Take away a potential 1222 games next year from retirements or delistings, Simpson, Murphy, Thomas, Casboult, Lobbe, Fasolo, your left with 1327 games between 38 players (35 game ave). Add to this Kreuzer being injury prone and Docherty coming back from 2 knee reco's life will only get worse for Carlton in 2020.

At the start of next year Cripps and Jones will be the only guys that should be on the list under 30 to play 100 games.
Compare that to potentially Walker, Lynch, Talia, Hartigan, Smith, Seedsman, Brown, Laird, Atkins and MCrouch

I wouldn't expect a responsible list manager to trash a list like SOS has.
I would expect at least 10 of the 25 mature age spuds he has recruited to actually be able to play.
To only have 3 guys over 50 games at the start of the season with a future beyond 2-3 years is a joke (Cripps, Docherty, Weitering).
To have 31 players on the list under 50 games at the start of the season was utter stupidity
To have 20 players on the list under 20 games at the start of the season was moronic
To refuse 3 mature age players confirms the naivety of Carlton. GC took them. Saints drafted 3 over 23.
When 3 of the 4 new recruits have serious issues staying on the park you have to wonder what they were thinking (Setterfield, Fasolo, McGovern)

Then on top of this they trade away their future 1st says it all.
Its not hard to see why Reid was ringing SOS for their 1st and refusing Saints better offer.

So if they can't trade in a decent player with pick 10-14 next year then they have to take another kid compounding the problem.

In fairness Ralph took it pretty easy. He didn't mention Casboult or Plowman's turnovers. :coldsweat::coldsweat::coldsweat::coldsweat:

Lets look at their young talent that is getting games into them.
Forward line of McKay, Curnow, and Gov.
Midfield of Cripps, Dow, Walsh, Setterfeld, Kennedy, SPS, Stocker, Pickett and Garlett. Now there is a ton of talent there that will kick on soon.
Their backline has Weitering, Marchbank, Jones and Docherty.
That is the basis of a good group. I would have their list over St Kilda, Norf, GC, Sydney, WBs amoungst others.
I think their issue is Bolton as I have said for years, and when he is sacked the next coach will have a good ride.
Talent is all well and good, but I’m guessing you thought they would do well this year, yet that hasn’t happened. This wouldn’t be the first group of talented youngsters that Carlton has wasted. In any case, next year matters little to us. It’s all about this year and it couldn’t be going better for us to have their first 2 picks.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

If they end up with better players than us from this trade, (as it currently stands) surely we’ve stuffed up our drafting, not our trading.
Is basically what I was trying to say using pot head analogy as that seemed the best fit

This is really draft pr0n.

Crows in the 8 trying to win a flag and gets the 2nd best picks in this years draft.

Carlton coming in at 2nd last, in a constant state of rebuild and gets the 13th worst set of draft picks this year.

Delicious. To think this scenario can actually get way better, is making me too excited. It will be nice to bash those flogs at Carlton in October and November as well.

Talent is all well and good, but I’m guessing you thought they would do well this year, yet that hasn’t happened. This wouldn’t be the first group of talented youngsters that Carlton has wasted. In any case, next year matters little to us. It’s all about this year and it couldn’t be going better for us to have their first 2 picks.
They have done far better than last year. They have still only won the one game, but their average loosing margin is so much better. We got smashed by Hawthorn at home, yet Carlton just lost to them in Tasmania, where they never lose.
I have no problem seeing them beat sides like St Kilda, GC, WB, Freo this year. I thought they might win six games, but as the year has gone one injuries is killing them, and they havent got reward for their effort.

This is really draft pr0n.

Crows in the 8 trying to win a flag and gets the 2nd best picks in this years draft.

Carlton coming in at 2nd last, in a constant state of rebuild and gets the 13th worst set of draft picks this year.

Delicious. To think this scenario can actually get way better, is making me too excited. It will be nice to bash those flogs at Carlton in October and November as well.
I agree awesome how pick swap going no pumping of chests in oct nov we won’t get much from them oh and they saying stocker gonna be next Scott thompson same mitchel but with more pace. Did they see him play sat 7 possessions 4 were changers lol but funny lol 😁

I agree awesome how pick swap going no pumping of chests in oct nov we won’t get much from them oh and they saying stocker gonna be next Scott thompson same mitchel but with more pace. Did they see him play sat 7 possessions 4 were changers lol but funny lol 😁

Since the draft has become super professional over the last 3-5 years, I would love to see which players went top 5 and which were a bust.

Since the draft has become super professional over the last 3-5 years, I would love to see which players went top 5 and which were a bust.

Decide for yourself:

#1 Patrick McCartin (35 games)
#2 Christian Petracca (70 games)
#3 Angus Brayshaw (65 games)
#4 Jarrod Pickett (17 games)
#5 Jordan De Goey (78 games)

#1 Jacob Weitering (63 games)
#2 Josh Schache (44 games)
#3 Callum Mills (62 games)
#4 Clayton Oliver (67 games)
#5 Darcy Parish (61 games)

#1 Andrew McGrath (48 games)
#2 Tim Taranto (44 games)
#3 Hugh McCluggage (47 games)
#4 Ben Ainsworth (34 games)
#5 Will Setterfield (6 games)

#1 Cameron Rayner (29 games)
#2 Andrew Brayshaw (24 games)
#3 Paddy Dow (27 games)
#4 Luke Davies-Uniacke (13 games)
#5 Adam Cerra (28 games)

#1 Sam Walsh (7 games)
#2 Jack Lukosius (6 games)
#3 Izak Rankine (0 games)
#4 Max King (0 games)
#5 Connor Rozee (7 games)

Not too many busts in there. Setterfield and Pickett stand out, amusingly both now play for Carlton.

Last edited:
Decide for yourself:

#1 Patrick McCartin (35 games)
#2 Christian Petracca (70 games)
#3 Angus Brayshaw (65 games)
#4 Jarrod Pickett (17 games)
#5 Jordan De Goey (78 games)

#1 Jacob Weitering (63 games)
#2 Josh Schache (44 games)
#3 Callum Mills (62 games)
#4 Clayton Oliver (67 games)
#5 Darcy Parish (61 games)

#1 Andrew McGrath (48 games)
#2 Tim Taranto (44 games)
#3 Hugh McCluggage (47 games)
#4 Ben Ainsworth (34 games)
#5 Will Setterfield (6 games)

#1 Cameron Rayner (29 games)
#2 Andrew Brayshaw (24 games)
#3 Paddy Dow (27 games)
#4 Luke Davies-Uniacke (13 games)
#5 Adam Cerra (28 games)

#1 Sam Walsh (7 games)
#2 Jack Lukosius (6 games)
#3 Izak Rankine (0 games)
#4 Max King (0 games)
#5 Connor Rozee (0 games)

Not too many busts in there. Setterfield and Pickett stand out, amusingly both now play for Carlton.
Yea lookin good to get a gun in top 5 based on past and with us we always pick the best even outside top 10 and discount any Carlton pick. They couldn’t find a gun with all there no 1 picks sure we will ready to go next year gonna be a good year as a crow supporter v depressing if your blue flogger 😁like it

Yea lookin good to get a gun in top 5 based on past and with us we always pick the best even outside top 10 and discount any Carlton pick. They couldn’t find a gun with all there no 1 picks sure we will ready to go next year gonna be a good year as a crow supporter v depressing if your blue flogger 😁like it
Anderson please get lucosious or Rankine next year for peanuts lol

Haven't heard that one before, doubt it's true given the things he was saying in the media to get the job. Why would you talk up premiership windows opening if you wanted to gut the list?
Probably said anything to jet get the job and then would set about trying to do things his own way.
He didn’t suddenly forget how to coach. Just needed to be able to do things he wanted in his own time frame.
I don’t think it was a mistake by Carlton to get Mick.

Can’t believe there are posters on here who think we will get pick 1 or 2.

Glory be, biggest nuffies since Reid.

Do you think Carlton will start winning or be gifted picks.

6. Paddy Dow hasn’t kicked above 50 per cent efficiency for the past four games.

He is now only the third-worst kick in the AFL — ahead of Andrew Brayshaw and Jack Viney — but is 17 per cent below the AFL average for kick rating.

Against North Melbourne he kicked the ball at 17 per cent efficiency, after 42 per cent, 20 per cent and 28 per cent in the previous three games. Like O’Brien he is being asked to play a significant midfield role in his second year but while he is averaging 18 possessions he just can’t hit a target.
I still can't work out how Dow was drafted #3 when he is such a poor kick of the football.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back