Prediction Dr Sonja Hood AM

Remove this Banner Ad

There is zero voice from her saying it’s unacceptable. Noble does, but then doesn’t back it, oh expect for making Powell an example of.

She could say things have to change, and she will make sure they will change. She could say she has never seen the guys play with less heart and we won’t accept it anymore.

Or she could say…it will turn. What utter crap.
yea that's what I want from my president, bagging out the players. That's obviously part of their role and a frequently seen thing. So weird for Sonja to buck the trend and not do that.

Tell you what else, she should bag out the coach too. Maybe suggest he be fired by the bye, that'd really help our current situation. Plus the next guy will know in advance that that's how we do things round here and surely want to be a part of that.

But in any case, hopefully she posts to alleviate feelings, that's the most important thing of all. Otherwise some might intentionally and grossly misinterpret what she's saying for no ****ing reason.

"It will turn". Same lines as the old chairman - meek, passive and helpless, no sense of action being taken, just the vague insistence that the universe will smile upon us one day and we'll suddenly come good.

The public platitudes of the president don't mean much in these situations anyway, but I'd prefer silence, and issues worked through internally, to being sold such empty, pulseless sops as these. The greater worry is that this is actually the belief and mindset of most senior figures at the club right now - that nothing we do right now matters, we just have to believe we're on the right path and ride it out, eventually things will take care of themselves... it's cowardly enough when supporters think that way, but when it breaks through to the club itself, it's toxic, and there's reason enough to think that's exactly what we're seeing the rotten fruits of at the moment.

"It will turn". Same lines as the old chairman - meek, passive and helpless, no sense of action being taken, just the vague insistence that the universe will smile upon us one day and we'll suddenly come good.

The public platitudes of the president don't mean much in these situations anyway, but I'd prefer silence, and issues worked through internally, to being sold such empty, pulseless sops as these. The greater worry is that this is actually the belief and mindset of most senior figures at the club right now - that nothing we do right now matters, we just have to believe we're on the right path and ride it out, eventually things will take care of themselves... it's cowardly enough when supporters think that way, but when it breaks through to the club itself, it's toxic, and there's reason enough to think that's exactly what we're seeing the rotten fruits of at the moment.

It's also the "this is just an ordinary part of a rebuild" rhetoric that becomes harder to listen to each week.

The side I've been watching is on track to be the worst-performing North Melbourne side in 90 years. It's also undoubtedly the worst North Melbourne side of the last 50 years. There are absolutely no excuses for this level of ineptitude and should not be brushed off as the side effects of a rebuild. I don't want to be told to hang in through tough times, I want my football team to display enough competency to identify that something is clearly wrong.

You speak to supporters of other clubs and they give you the same "we've all been there" speech, but the reality is that only a small group of AFL fans have. You take Richmond for example, they were hopeless for 40 odd years but the worst they managed was a 4 win season with a percentage of 69.24%. Effectively what we had last year. This is a new low that has rarely been seen in AFL history.

At least she's on Twitter. It's been a baptism of fire with these horrendous performances.

I'm sure she and the Board have been asking themselves over the last weeks, 1/ is this an acceptable part of a rebuild? Or 2/, has the rot set in, has this got away from Noble?

After last night, more will be on the phone this weekend saying no, 1/ it's unsustainable and 2/ there's no pulse under Noble - no defibrillator will work either. Time to bring in the undertaker and caretaker(s).

The history of the VFL and AFL is littered with hundreds of failed coaches who got to 20-50 games.

Noble + Younnie, appreciate your service, it's a very tough gig and you'll get jobs in footy admin, assistant coaching, clean out your desks, it wasn't sustainable.

not sure Sonja can do much at the moment about the current predicament. It’s Ben Armafio who is the CEO and this in charge. If you want to apply heat do it to him. I never see anyone here question him.

It's also the "this is just an ordinary part of a rebuild" rhetoric that becomes harder to listen to each week.

The side I've been watching is on track to be the worst-performing North Melbourne side in 90 years. It's also undoubtedly the worst North Melbourne side of the last 50 years. There are absolutely no excuses for this level of ineptitude and should not be brushed off as the side effects of a rebuild. I don't want to be told to hang in through tough times, I want my football team to display enough competency to identify that something is clearly wrong.

You speak to supporters of other clubs and they give you the same "we've all been there" speech, but the reality is that only a small group of AFL fans have. You take Richmond for example, they were hopeless for 40 odd years but the worst they managed was a 4 win season with a percentage of 69.24%. Effectively what we had last year. This is a new low that has rarely been seen in AFL history.
Quite. To the extent heavy losses will happen as part of a rebuild, leaning into the "it's just part of the process" angle only serves to obscure when things are supposedly on-track vs. when they've derailed. I think most of us are of the view things are now majorly awry, but it wouldn't get to this point if we weren't handwaving away the earlier warnings signs with pat "progress isn't linear" diagrams or what-have-you. There's a big difference between understanding that a rebuilding side will produce this kind of poor performance now and again, and being dismissive of or deaf to legitimate criticisms when it does happen. For all that people rightly got a bit sick of the 'play terribly then respond well next week' pattern we've made a fair habit of for decades now - at least that showed some will to improve...

She didn’t need to end her post with making it about her, especially towards an audience who can’t see it.
Ugh at least Buckley would send an email every now and then and not be on this twitter shit

Sonja is a good North person and successful businesswoman - she is no fool. This is a huge challenge - to lead an AFL club and time will tell what she is able to achieve. The role of president is interesting in the scheme of things. She deserves time. But I would like to see some comms from the club that inspires us a little - that's not necessarily her role.

I’ve searched through tweets directed at Sonja. Can’t find one out of line. Unless they have been deleted, they don’t exist

(Log in to remove this ad.)

not sure Sonja can do much at the moment about the current predicament. It’s Ben Armafio who is the CEO and this in charge. If you want to apply heat do it to him. I never see anyone here question him.
I agree. His coaching is shit and his game plan is for the tip.

At least Noble has the business side of the club working tho so that's a positive.

I don’t have my head in the sand at all. I know there’d be financial ramifications for being shit. It’s why the common line was “North can’t afford to rebuild, they’d go under”…which ultimately lead to “because North can’t afford to rebuild they’ll never be a real contender”.

Now we’re rebuilding and we’re shit. It’s our job as supporters to keep watching this crap and buying memberships and sticking it out, and when we come out the other side it will be glorious and we can tell all the doubters to go and get f’ed.

I've said it before and I'll say it again. When Dani (then Dean) Laidley said we couldn't afford to rebuild, what nobody realised at the time (even Dani) is that it had nothing to do with finances and everything to do with a lot of North Melbourne supporters being even more entitled than ****ing Essendon supporters and believing it is our birthright that we succeed without doing the hard work. The shit that we are seeing onfield now is the hard work.

I’ve searched through tweets directed at Sonja. Can’t find one out of line. Unless they have been deleted, they don’t exist
There could have been direct messages, which would be totally out of line if so.

I'm not convinced by here Twitter post (and the similar one a couple of weeks back) but she probably can't say much differently in a public forum. Let's hope that the club's administration are tough enough to make some hard decisions, and that they do it quickly. I'm not saying to sack Noble, but we'd probably all like to see a response where the team come out looking like they want to play, and win or lose, showing that they are capable enough to be there when the rebuild starts to deliver a winning formula.

Exactly. This isn't amateur hour. Hard questions will be asked of the football department behind closed doors (as it should be). Not everything is for public consumption. Being supporters/members entitles us to watch our team go about their business. It doesn't entitle us to a seat at the table with full explanation of the inner workings. Stop being so naive people!

I switched because some of you are to stupid to understand.

I asked questions. And no one can give me answers.

The club is bereft of leadership at the moment.
What is Sonja Hood going to say today? Dickhead asks a rhetorical question and then sooks it up because no-one will give him an answer. Get off the turps, there's your answer.

'Dear members,
Last night's performance simply wasn't good enough. We will be performing a review as this is not what this club stands for. We have opted to leave David Noble in WA, delisted the entire list, sacked the water girls and are considering handing in our licence to appease the impatient hero's of Twitter and bigfooty. We have a bulldozer on its way to Arden street as I tweet this.
Rebuild? Wtf is that?
Go Roos,
Sonja '

Remove this Banner Ad

Prediction Dr Sonja Hood AM

Remove this Banner Ad

Back