Remove this Banner Ad

Oct 7, 2005
Adelaide
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
Are there other teams?
Have I got this right?

We currently have 35 + 2 rookies (Lienert, Ladhams) and have committed to re re-rookieing Hewett. Meaning we will have:

#Late
#Very late

Rookie #9
Rookie #27 (Hewett)

Category B (hopefully)

Pudney
Fredericks

If so, Mods, let's have a thread for the late/rookie picks.

I'd love to jag a Woodcock, Munn or Sparrow here but that is stretching it. This may be the place for a delisted free agent too after we see what we can get with the late picks. That Hayes dude for WWT looked a player but I don't know his age. The Magpies could benefit by us taking a key back as back up. Any other suggestions?

In all likelyhood we’ll pass on Late & Very late in favour of a second and third round rookie pick.
If a player is on our draft board and there at pick 70 or whatever our 4th pick becomes, why wouldn't we take him then instead of waiting a dozen or two picks and taking him as a rookie? The only advantage of making Hugo Munn, say, a rookie for us is celery cap. That shouldn't be an issue.

If we want a player, just take him in the ND.

We won't be using pick 85 or 103.

We will take 3 ND picks and 3 Rookies + Hewett.

Pretty sure we pay rookies less, we get salary cap discounts, and they give us more flexibility in terms of delisting after 1 year if other opportunities arise.

I would like to hope Pudney slips to the rookie draft so we can get him there. Other than that I hope we take a project key back and maybe take a gamble on a zippy little small pressure forward.

That's on the basis that the main draft yields us 3 mids.

We want speed, skill and immediate impact so I think we’ll pick Marlion Pickett from the WAFL hoping he can bridge between Wingard/Polec and picks 5,10 & 15.

The other two picks I think we will go tall. I posted earlier that I like the highlights of Nick Murray - because he looks a little like Tom Jonas. The obvious local would be Riley Grundy, he’s very raw but a good athlete so worth a rookie spot to see if he can develop.

I reckon Pudney will end up on our main list.

If someone bids for him at pick 56 (194 pts) or later then we just say we match the bid and with the 197 pts discount, we don't actually give up anything. I reckon its a fair chance of happening.

If some one bids between pick 45 (347 -197 = 150 pts) and 55 (207-197 = 10 pts) I reckon we will match the bid and go into deficit and therefore lose one of those 2019 4th round picks we traded in this year. If the Bulldogs finish 13th in 2019 and with the compo picks that results in their 4th round pick being pick 60, then that is 146 pts we apply against the deficit.

I dont think it will happen, but if someone bids pick 37 (483-197 = 286 pts) or before pick 37, I dont think we will match the bid.

If someone bids for Fredrick, I reckon it will be around 70-80 and we might also match the bid and put him on our main list. The Base for a 1st year player pick 41+ in 2019 is $80k and for a rookie is $75k. So I dont think $5k will stop us putting him on the main list.

Also I dont think we need to save $75k rookie base payment, which is excluded from our salary cap total, because we are obviously under spending the cap in 2019. We aren't going to have cap issues in 2019, as salary cap amounts wont be that tight, as all contracts for the 35 on the list for 2019 are already set, and the guys we have to re-sign for 2020, wont be busting the cap because we have to pay Fredrick $90k in 2020 on the primary list and not as a rookie outside the cap $80k fee.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The difficulty in making a comment is that every year there are:

a. players expected to go in the ND that end up being available to rookie and

b. players NOT expected to go in the ND that end up being drafted and not available to rookie

As the last rounds of the ND and the rookie draft are a few minutes apart there is no time to speculate.

Pudney as Cat B

Hewett at our 2nd pick and our first pcik depends on what we do with 5/10/15, if we don't grab a tall with our first rounders we go tall (Bowman/Radovanovic/O'Reilly/Grundy) if we only grabbed one mid we go and get Luke Bogle. Would grab Tom Lewis if he still there over Bogle though.

I'd love to steal Marty Hore from the Pies @ our first pick if still on the board.

189cm. Fantastic in the air. Leads the VFL over the last 2 years for rebound 50's (5.6 a game) & marks. While he is 3rd for kicks & contested marks.

Has a 2018 kicking efficiency of 79% (at 16 kicks ppg) and went at 21 disposals & 7.5 marks per game.

Remove this Banner Ad

Strategy Draft 2018 - rookie picks

Remove this Banner Ad

Back