Strategy Draft assistance 2023 [Twomey: NMFC get #19 in 2023, x2 end of 1st rd picks in 2024, and x2 extra rookie list spots in 2024; no Sanders/#11]

Remove this Banner Ad

In my opinion, some fans are and some fans arent.

Fine with your Roo's having early round one access and being able to match a bid.
Just as long as you are fine with it. That’s what matters.
So we don’t get a priority pick, but we can match a bid on Sanders in the first round? And that’s our assistance package? We get to burn pick 17, for example, that we got through being shafted by our number 1 pick last year?
I find it amazing that other clubs who benefited massively from priority picks in the past, actually think that they shouldn’t exist any more, or the rules should be tightened or blah blah, just because it’s North that now require a little bit of assistance. It’s incredibly insulting.

Just as long as you are fine with it. That’s what matters.
So we don’t get a priority pick, but we can match a bid on Sanders in the first round? And that’s our assistance package? We get to burn pick 17, for example, that we got through being shafted by our number 1 pick last year?
I find it amazing that other clubs who benefited massively from priority picks in the past, actually think that they shouldn’t exist any more, or the rules should be tightened or blah blah, just because it’s North that now require a little bit of assistance. It’s incredibly insulting.
I think you missed part of post.
I agree you shoud get one first round pp, like the rest of us. Plus early bidding access to Sanders if you chose to match. That in line with other Melbourne clubs.

An none of us will get a say so it will he what ever the AFL decided.

What people on the main board fail to get through their thick skulls is that what we ask for and what we get is very different. We will ask for overs knowing what our baseline is and they will knock us down a peg or two to a support package that hopefully allows both parties to save face and be satisfied.

I agree you shoud get one first round pp, like the rest of us. Plus early bidding access to Sanders if you chose to match. That in line with other Melbourne clubs.

So are you advocating for a beginning of the first round pp?

I think the tears on the main board would be even heavier if we had pick 1, pick 3 and pick 4.

So either you think we get pick 1 + Sanders match + pick 2 + pick 3 for McKay (which is excessive)...

... or you are saying that we get a later PP that we then match Sanders with, which is basically the exact same thing as letting us pre-list him.

So either you think we get pick 1 + Sanders match + pick 2 + pick 3 for McKay (which is excessive)...

... or you are saying that we get a later PP that we then match Sanders with, which is basically the exact same thing as letting us pre-list him.
In my opinion

You already have pick #2. And the unknown McKay draft pick if you dont match.

Priorty
You add a PP #4 ( could be 3)

Why pick 4 you ask? No PP before any club whom has 24 point or unders. From memory this use to be the guide for all clubs to get pp, an helps those clubs still struggling.

Plus early access to match a bid for Sanders in the first round, if the Roos choose. I think it would still cost you something, but not his true value.

In my opinion

You already have pick #2. And the unknown McKay draft pick if you dont match.

Priorty
You add a PP #4 ( could be 3)

Why pick 4 you ask? No PP before any club whom has 24 point or unders. From memory this use to be the guide for all clubs to get pp, an helps those clubs still struggling.

Plus early access to match a bid for Sanders in the first round, if the Roos choose. I think it would still cost you something, but not his true value.
Thats way more than what people are talking about on here.

That could be McKercher, Watson, Curtin and Sanders.

Article from Caro in the age about AFL looking at changing nga rules again due to the decline in indigenous players coming through the draft. You just know some “big” club will have players coming through next year and all this crap about uncompromised drafts will be forgotten about. Wouldn’t surprise me to not get Sanders this year and then the rules change next year

Oh righto....i must have misread. We won't get first round PP, although I agree we should. I'm not against us having to bid on Sanders under those conditions, but cant see any way the CorruptFL will give us first round PP. We should def be granted it though, but wont happen.

Sanders has gone from top 10, to top 8 and as of today today, top 6 all within a week…
When is the afl likely to announce something like this? Because if it did go through, I’d imagine it would interrupt drafting plans for 16 other clubs.
Convenient for everyone if the media push him to be the No.1 pick really…

These other clubs should s**t their ducking mouths ! Upset the integrity of the draft they say??? We have been denied access to the number 1 pick more than a few times after finishing stone cold last because of father sons and academy selections. That doesn’t compromise the integrity? And what the * does us having lots of other top 10 picks already on our list have to do with any arguments against more assistance ?
They can all get stuffed as far in I’m concerned !!
1690587097407.gif

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I think that’s a fair compromise, we get a PP after our first, McKay compensation after our first and can match Sanders with ports pick.

So we go to the draft with pick 2,3 and 4 and match Sanders with ports pick.

Wait. Wasn’t this the same hawthorn poster who said they only received one priority pick earlier this week? But actually has two and then went quiet?
He’s back?
He also struggled with how the existence of a PP made it possible/palatable for Frei to trade pick one to Hawthorn.
But I like the cut if his jib this time around. Picks 2,3 and 4, trade away 17 for players and pick up Sanders for junk picks.
More than I expected.

I think that’s a fair compromise, we get a PP after our first, McKay compensation after our first and can match Sanders with ports pick.

So we go to the draft with pick 2,3 and 4 and match Sanders with ports pick.

It's fine to throw out there as a tactic (or in this case, go along with a Hawthorn supporter who suggested it) but we are not getting a PP after our first as well as access to Sanders. Access to Sanders is in lieu of a PP. That's our best option because a first-round PP is surely off the table. The AFL wants "creative solutions" so they don't have to stand up to the whingers at other clubs who don't want us to have a first-round PP.

It's fine to throw out there as a tactic (or in this case, go along with a Hawthorn supporter who suggested it) but we are not getting a PP after our first as well as access to Sanders. Access to Sanders is in lieu of a PP. That's our best option because a first-round PP is surely off the table. The AFL wants "creative solutions" so they don't have to stand up to the whingers at other clubs who don't want us to have a first-round PP.
exactly, whether or not there's funny business on the mckay compensation, this is the actual assistance. A top ten pick without the need to match bids.

This is only a small part of the story. It doesn’t take into trading of PP players and that return which is used in the draft, or that a PP represents not only another shot at top talent but the versatility to take a safe AND risky option.

You see this pay dividends with:
Hawthorn: Roughead/Franklin

St Kilda: Riewoldt/Koschitzke
Carlton: Murphy/Kennedy>Judd
Collingwood:Thomas/Pendlebury
WC:Judd/Sampy>Kennedy
WB: Cooney/Ray, Griffen/Williams>Boyd(2016 premiership)
Melbourne: Sylvia/McLean
Richmond:Deledio/Tambling>Geelong1st

And on and on it goes like compound interest. Getting a decent player with the PP has myriad benefits and gives clubs versatility to pivot in trades and the draft proper.

Take out Geelong who have benefited most from FS in the AFL, are we the only VIC club who hasn’t received proper PP?

The plus Saunders without matching a bid.

Mckay is fine as long as its based on his contract. No tweaking from the AFL.
Just let us pick Jed Walter. We need a KPF. Then we'd be happy to give Sanders a miss.

Joe Danniher got band 1 compo for a similar contract that's rumoured to be offered to Mckay.

efa6b791623cc65903e3e2e0f37d1cac.gif

Sent from my SM-A908B using Tapatalk

Normally if he is picked in the first 40 selections he is free for anyone to take, but what the proposal is is that North Melbourne just basically gets him under the rug." Normally, as in the rule that came in to effect in the last draft, first 20 selections the draft before that and no restrictions before that, so "normally" as in for one draft in a row, you can understand why the traditionalists are so upset :rolleyes:

“The other issue is a part of this Ben McKay free agency compensation. Instead of an end of first round pick, do they get pick three as part of an upgraded assistance (deal)?" The AFL literally said this week that any free agency compensation will only be what the compensation formula dictates and won't be upgraded. Sure, everyone can have their conspiracy theories about it, but the numbers being suggested if Bmac does go aren't all that far from Band 1 and clubs clearly work together to trigger high compensation (Daniher etc) and avoid the need to match and trade. If we get pick three, it isn't part of an assistance package.

But great story apart from that!

The other clubs and fans throwing their toys out of the pram is almost better than any assistance the AFL would ever give us anyway! :tearsofjoy:

Remove this Banner Ad

Strategy Draft assistance 2023 [Twomey: NMFC get #19 in 2023, x2 end of 1st rd picks in 2024, and x2 extra rookie list spots in 2024; no Sanders/#11]

Remove this Banner Ad

Back