Strategy Draft assistance 2023 [Twomey: NMFC get #19 in 2023, x2 end of 1st rd picks in 2024, and x2 extra rookie list spots in 2024; no Sanders/#11]

Remove this Banner Ad

Why are other teams upset that we might get 3 as compo for McKay?

It's not like the AFL are changing the rules to benefit us.
Long contract, big money, poaching from a bottom team. It was always going to be around that spot.
Because they don't want us to get squat, whether fair or not. It is that simple.

Start of First round pp
Mid of first round pp
Free nga access to prelist

That'll never happen. Temper your expectations.

We will end up with;

Pick 1 or 2 (our own)
Pick 2 or 3 (McKay compo - separate from assistance)
Sanders (NGA pre-list)
Pick 14-16~ (Port pick)
Pick 19 (Priority pick)

We may also be allowed an extra rookie spot on the list on the provision it is used on a veteran.

This is a good outcome.

We will end up with;

Pick 1 or 2 (our own)
Sanders (NGA pre-list)
Pick 14-16~ (Port pick)
Pick 19 (Priority pick)

We may also be allowed an extra rookie spot on the list on the provision it is used on a veteran.

This is a good outcome.

Not even remotely a good outcome. Materially less than what every other recipient of draft assistance (besides us!) has ever got.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

Depends on how many we clear out. Getting rid of 10 players isn't going to cut it.
We need to go a lot deeper
The funny/sad/weird part about it is the players getting cut will stink it up. What world are they living in? We've lost 17 in a row, just lost to the worst team in a decade, finished bottom 2 last 4 years

We will end up with;

Pick 1 or 2 (our own)
Sanders (NGA pre-list)
Pick 14-16~ (Port pick)
Pick 19 (Priority pick)

This is a good outcome.

If they give us Sanders they won't give us another pick IMO. We may get our extended rookie list back.

Not even remotely a good outcome. Materially less than what every other recipient of draft assistance (besides us!) has ever got.

Those days are over, unfortunately.

AS I said; we will get a good package, but temper your expectations.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Those days are over, unfortunately.

AS I said; we will get a good package, but temper your expectations.
Yeah, suspect you are spot on. The injustice of it grates though. All these other clubs feasted on this sh^t and it looks like we are going to get a toasted sanger at best, and the cNuts still moan about it.

If they give us Sanders they won't give us another pick IMO. We may get our extended rookie list back.

I think they will. But because we're getting Sanders, they can't give us an early/mid 1st PP.

I like Sanders a lot and hope we get him and hope he dominates, but to play devils advocate, most rankings of this years draft class place him in the 7-12~th best prospect range. Which is nothing to sneeze at, but if you thought of that as a PP you wouldn't really be satisfied, would you?

I think the days of getting the 1st overall pick as a PP are over, unless you're the Gold Coast Suns (or Tasmania once they join). For established clubs though, the best you can hope for is some sort of creative PP/assistance package that doesn't negatively disadvantage the other crap teams.

If they gave us pick 11 next year and pick 40 this year then we could make a decent offer to GC for their pick.

Future pick 11, picks 39, 40, 53, 59 (1266 points) for their pick 5.

Give Sanders, as well.

McKercher, Curtin, Watson, Sanders

I think they will. But because we're getting Sanders, they can't give us an early/mid 1st PP.

I like Sanders a lot and hope we get him and hope he dominates, but to play devils advocate, most rankings of this years draft class place him in the 7-12~th best prospect range. Which is nothing to sneeze at, but if you thought of that as a PP you wouldn't really be satisfied, would you?

I think the days of getting the 1st overall pick as a PP are over, unless you're the Gold Coast Suns (or Tasmania once they join). For established clubs though, the best you can hope for is some sort of creative PP/assistance package that doesn't negatively disadvantage the other crap teams.

The only way we get another pick is if we have to trade it.

I agree with DR here, they may at a pinch repeat the 2022 concessions, tradeable 2nd and 3rd although I can't imagine Fremantle would be too stoked.

I agree with DR here, they may at a pinch repeat the 2022 concessions, tradeable 2nd and 3rd although I can't imagine Fremantle would be too stoked.
My guess is we’d already have someone in mind, ala H.Clarke, L.Ryan or anyone over 195cm and 100kg.

Ryan who was brought up the other day, who I think we have little chance but would be perfect. AFL we give WCE pick 19 for Ryan, it’s the two birds type deal they love.

With the other AFL clubs whinging over free access to Ryley Sanders, say the AFL give us a PP prior to the first round to shut them up. Would you still take him ?

With the other AFL clubs whinging over free access to Ryley Sanders, say the AFL give us a PP prior to the first round to shut them up. Would you still take him ?

Pick 11 maybe.

At pick 1? No, I'd trade it to Melb for 5, 15 and their F1 if I wanted to draft Sanders.

We will end up with;

Pick 1 or 2 (our own)
Sanders (NGA pre-list)
Pick 14-16~ (Port pick)
Pick 19 (Priority pick)

This is a good outcome.
I think we'll get less than that. They will let us match a bid for Sanders, essentially eating up the Port pick.

Media and opposition will squeal that we've been given too much - Pick 2/3, Sanders and another 1st rounder - when all they've really given us is an end of 1st and bumped up Ports pick a few spots.

Remove this Banner Ad

Strategy Draft assistance 2023 [Twomey: NMFC get #19 in 2023, x2 end of 1st rd picks in 2024, and x2 extra rookie list spots in 2024; no Sanders/#11]

Remove this Banner Ad

Back