Analysis Draft Day 2014 Discussion

Remove this Banner Ad

lever is a get. not a star but very likely will be a very solid defender and leader. perfect pick up for them.

downgrading their first pick , so they could upgrade their 2nd rounder to land harrison wigg would have looked stupid if they hadnt of landed lever. i cant see that wigg wouldnt have been at their pick , nor that another very good or better prospect would have been available.

i dont rate wigg as a talent worth downgrading your pick for.

In all honesty the coverage by fox was pretty dreadful again. Only focus on the top 10, after that it's just interviews and Sando saying "the next best player will get picked". How about show the picks, interviews between rounds, then smash out the last rounds as they took no time at all. Then do all your nterviews/etc after

Have we improved our list from last year?
The answer has to be yes, because of Paddy Ryder... but
We still haven't a back up ruckman for Lobbe if Ryder is suspended.
We are relying on our medium/tall backs to stay in form and without injury - cutting both Heath and Stephenson was dumb

We are relying on our medium/tall backs to stay in form and without injury - cutting both Heath and Stephenson was dumb
Can not agree.

IF both Lobbe and Ryder are out for what ever reason, Trengove or Redden (possibly Harvey) will hopefully be able to do a job for us, Clurey hopefully could slide to Trengove's position if need be. Young, Byrne-Jones, Colhoqun, P.Stewart could all play the roles Stevenson and Heath would have for us?

Can not agree.

IF both Lobbe and Ryder are out for what ever reason, Trengove or Redden (possibly Harvey) will hopefully be able to do a job for us, Clurey hopefully could slide to Trengove's position if need be. Young, Byrne-Jones, Colhoqun, P.Stewart could all play the roles Stevenson and Heath would have for us?
Can not agree
Redden = the great unknown
Harvey = you are obviously joking - Harvey is NO ruckman
Young = a backman?
Byrne-jones = no where near the standard yet

Can not agree
Redden = the great unknown
Harvey = you are obviously joking - Harvey is NO ruckman
Young = a backman?
Byrne-jones = no where near the standard yet
And not playing them gives them zero exposure. Or we could have kept Heath, had more injuries than Redden in their careers, and Stevenson who was not up to it. If we stand stagnate other teams will go past us at a rapid rate, were you happy to finish 3rd?

If Ryder is suspended i'm hoping Shaw or Butcher can go forward and Trengove can become Lobbes backup.
Redden might take a while to get back to full fitness so I wish him the best of luck.

Heath had to go. He had great talent but his knee gave up on him.
Also I believe Stevenson was expendable, He was playing as a 189cm KPD in the SANFL and ultimately we replaced him with Logan Austin a REAL KPD.

If we are without our top 3 rucks at any time, we'd be exactly like any other club. Clubs have rucked guys like Harvey or Shaw in emergencies and got away with it. Those two will be far more equipped to handle it physically next year too.

If we are without our top 3 rucks at any time, we'd be exactly like any other club. Clubs have rucked guys like Harvey or Shaw in emergencies and got away with it. Those two will be far more equipped to handle it physically next year too.

x2.
If teams are good enough, they can get around being beaten in the rucks. Geelong from 2007 to 2011 were regularly beaten in the rucks but won 3 flags and only lost in 2008 through bad kicking. It caught up with them after a while. The main thing is having someone who can give the main ruckman a rest and not lose too much. When Lobbe went off and we used Trengove it wasn't too bad but when we used Westhoff we may as well have had Hartlett competing.

Not sure why theres a recent trend to bag on our perceived lack of depth in the half back line.

2014/15:
HBF - Broadbent, Pittard, O'Shea, Colquhuon, Logan*, Stewart, DBJ, Flynn*,
BP - Jonas, Impey, S.Russell*

2014:
HBF - Broadbent, Pittard, O'Shea, Colquhuon, Logan, Stewart, DBJ, Heath, Stevenson, Flynn*,

Start of 2014 we had 13 players to fill about 3-4 positions in our starting 22. Assuming we dont draft any hbf we'll have 11.

I think our list of hbf'ers can survive until the 2015 draft, where you know we'll pick one with a unique blend of...

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Not sure why theres a recent trend to bag on our perceived lack of depth in the half back line.

2014/15:
HBF - Broadbent, Pittard, O'Shea, Colquhuon, Logan*, Stewart, DBJ, Flynn*,

2014:
HBF - Broadbent, Pittard, O'Shea, Colquhuon, Logan, Stewart, DBJ, Heath, Stevenson, Flynn*,

Start of 2014 we had 13 players to fill about 3-4 positions in our starting 22. Assuming we dont draft any hbf we'll have 11.

I think our list of hbf'ers can survive until the 2015 draft, where you know we'll pick one with a unique blend of...

The main knock is that we don't have that real elite player in the back half in terms of disposals. The Birchall, Malceski (while at Sydney), Mackie, hurn type players. Pittard and Broadbent provide that rebound but decisions and disposal efficiency can be suspect at times. The players you listed are made up of decent middle tier players but not that elite "star" disposer the good teams have Colquhoun could be this but unknown with his return from his knee. I don't know how this could be solved in the rookie draft and everybody has linked us to glenn and I remember parker saying that our picks this year will be a mix of mature aged and young players that's what makes me believe we'll pick up glenn even more if he is there.

So what happened with Mitchell? I thought we were going to upgrade him, but I can't see anything about that on the draft round up.

Gill said at the beginning of the draft that the upgraded players would not be announced during the proceedings

With Mitch Harvey and Dougal Howard we now have two big young key power forwards who can kick goals from outside 50m.

Mitch Harvey is the player that appears to have snuck under the radar of supporters, who for whatever reason can't, or don't attend Maggie's games.
The bloke is still a baby, who fairly early in the season had to be thrown into the ruck to cover the loss of Renouf, which obviously limited the time he could spend developing as a forward.

In games at Alberton any shot for goal he had from 50 - 60 metres out was usually tonked straight over the umpire's hat, and regularly post high, goals like that can break the back of the opposition ( ala Brendon Lade ), or ice a game.

He is a different player to Shaw or Butch, but from what I have seen can kick the ball 5 to 10 metres further than either of them, and with his family background ( the Rendells ) could easily grow into a 200 cm plus gorilla. :cool:

Remove this Banner Ad

Analysis Draft Day 2014 Discussion

Remove this Banner Ad

Back