Draft pick value calculator

Remove this Banner Ad

bergholt

Good Ordinary Player
Mar 14, 2007
Brunswick
AFL Club
St Kilda
I was getting sick of constantly referring back to the AFL's document to calculate relative value for picks etc, so I whipped up this little pick value calculator:

https://www.draftguru.com.au/pick-value-calculator#13,36,55|Hickey,25,46

I hope I've done a good enough job that it doesn't need explaining, but basically that one shows that the Tom Hickey to St Kilda trade valued him at pick 23 based on the official values. Hit the "Clear Calculator" button at the bottom to put in your own hypotheticals.

I hope you guys find it useful, let me know if there's anything I can do to improve it.

I like it. Reckon the AFL's points overvalues picks in the 30s but that's not your fault.

Very helpful resource that at least gives some credibility to discussions. Thanks heaps for doing this.

I don't get it. I type a value in one box (say pick 14) and then another value in the next box (say pick 32) and it then changes the value I typed in the first box to pick 3 before I've even entered anything into the "traded out" column.

I don't get it. I type a value in one box (say pick 14) and then another value in the next box (say pick 32) and it then changes the value I typed in the first box to pick 3 before I've even entered anything into the "traded out" column.

Did you finish typing the second number?

If you type 14 in the first in box then click add and start to type 32 in the second in box, when you type the 3 it switches to the top box and sends 14 to the bottom box, when you complete the number by typing 2, 14 goes back up the top and 32 to the bottom. It is just ordering the picks by number so thinks for a moment you are typing pick 3 only.

Did you finish typing the second number?

If you type 14 in the first in box then click add and start to type 32 in the second in box, when you type the 3 it switches to the top box and sends 14 to the bottom box, when you complete the number by typing 2, 14 goes back up the top and 32 to the bottom. It is just ordering the picks by number so thinks for a moment you are typing pick 3 only.

It's happening after I've typed full numbers in both boxes. They show up as I type them until I click add, which seems to be the only way to get it to recalculate. And then it goes and changes my inputs.

It's happening after I've typed full numbers in both boxes. They show up as I type them until I click add, which seems to be the only way to get it to recalculate. And then it goes and changes my inputs.

Sorry liz, I've obviously messed something up. Looks OK at my end but I'd like to make it work for you. What were you viewing it on? Mobile or computer? Which browser are you using?

Sorry liz, I've obviously messed something up. Looks OK at my end but I'd like to make it work for you. What were you viewing it on? Mobile or computer? Which browser are you using?

I'm using a IE (the latest I think) on a PC. I wonder if I was trying to use it for something you hadn't intended. When I entered one of the inputs as a player's name, it worked OK. Before I had draft picks on both sides - I was trying to work out equivalences. But that might not be what it was intended to achieve. And I guess I could just look up the AFL tables to work that out.:)

I'm using a IE (the latest I think) on a PC. I wonder if I was trying to use it for something you hadn't intended. When I entered one of the inputs as a player's name, it worked OK. Before I had draft picks on both sides - I was trying to work out equivalences. But that might not be what it was intended to achieve. And I guess I could just look up the AFL tables to work that out.:)

Yeah, it should work for that, that's exactly how I intended it! I haven't got IE here to test on but I'll try to make it work tomorrow. Sorry!

I hope it's basically fixed on IE now, had a go at it.

I'm also keeping the main site up to date. I know a bunch of you are aware of it but I thought it was worthwhile posting for the others who didn't know about it:

https://www.draftguru.com.au/lists/2016
https://www.draftguru.com.au/years/2015/provisional-draft-order
https://www.draftguru.com.au/years/2015

etc

Fun fact: Brisbane now have 5000+ points to play with, so they should be able to afford Keays and Hipwood without too many problems.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I whipped up this little pick value calculator
Mate, great work 👏🏻

I just found this site whilst discussing the Carlton & Adelaide pick swap with the old man and never used it before. Did you make up the whole site?

Attachments

• 39535CCD-1B9C-4615-8423-8C00FA5ADDA3.jpeg
    39535CCD-1B9C-4615-8423-8C00FA5ADDA3.jpeg
    90 KB · Views: 69
  • F3E43110-61C5-4EE1-9614-CF91B8183E3A.jpeg
    F3E43110-61C5-4EE1-9614-CF91B8183E3A.jpeg
    85.2 KB · Views: 79
bergholt

Big thanks to your work mate. I’m doing my masters thesis on the academy system. I have used all your data on pick for pick trades to work out a DVI based on market values to address the inherent flaws in the afl’s DVI.

Once it’s done I’ll share it on here, and if you want you could upload it so people could have the option of assessing trades based on their historical market values of picks.

Remove this Banner Ad

Draft pick value calculator

Remove this Banner Ad

Back