Play Nice Dustin Martin to North | 31/8: DM signed at RFC for 1.3m/7yrs

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
It comes down to clubs salary cap. The fact Kelly and Martin were / are both in the crosshairs indicates a ridiculous amount of space.
I personally believe we are in a position to front end martins contract to the extent of $2mill + for the first couple of years. There is NOONE (bar goldy) on big money at north these years (cunnington / ziebell front ended and into the skinny years)

I believe Martin is an easy fit into the cap.

The bigger issue to me is the intangibles it does to a playing group knowing one guy is on double the next highest paid player (jealousy etc)

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app
The rest of the list can complain when they become the best player in the comp.

What's laughable about all these comments from so called " experts " is that at Richmond he's worth every cent of 1.2m even though they have already handed out large contracts to Rance , Cotchin , Riedwoldt and now Prestia but the thought of him crossing to us at 1.5m will break us when trying resign our own players . F*** sake clearly these arse clowns didn't pass year 9 maths
It doesn't suit their narrative of Dusty staying at Richmond.

I find it hard to believe GC can't match. Gary Abblet will be off the books by the end of next season.
GC don't get the ability to match. He's a RFA. He chooses his club and only Richmond can match.

It comes down to clubs salary cap. The fact Kelly and Martin were / are both in the crosshairs indicates a ridiculous amount of space.
I personally believe we are in a position to front end martins contract to the extent of $2mill + for the first couple of years. There is NOONE (bar goldy) on big money at north these years (cunnington / ziebell front ended and into the skinny years)

I believe Martin is an easy fit into the cap.
I did an analysis of this earlier in the year. Our cap space is ludicrous. I don't think the general media quite understand the position we are in.

But you'd think the fact that we want Kelly AND Martin on multi million dollar contracts would give them a clue.
Bear in mind also the story that we got permission to go to 93% of the cap (2% below the minimum), meaning not only can we go to 100% of the cap, but presumably up to $105 or maybe 107% in 2018. This supports the front-loading approach.

“Ben Brown is out of contract and deserves more money...”
At the end of next year Dal?

“In some ways Brad Scott’s head is on the chopping block as well, he needs success, he’s out of contract next year,” he said.
At the end of next year Dal?

If Dusty was truly happy then whatever the Tuggers offer is now would be enough and he would sign and be done with it. The fact he hasn't says to me he is 99% out the door to pull on the mighty Blue and White. All this "Carr is holding out and making them sweat" is absolute crap. Even the "We always said end of the season" stuff is crap. If you're happy with the amount and length of the contract you sign, you dont hold out for the end of the season just because thats what you said previously. If he was truly happy there he would take the 1.2mill-ish they have offered and go into the finals signed with all the speculation gone. But he hasn't and he won't because he's going to see dad to have a froffy and celebrate the big money hes going to get, then once those finals chokers are bundled out in embarrassing fashion AGAIN he will sign and pull on our jumper. We will all know when he hasn't signed anything by the time they play their first final.
It's Happening.
Are you joking??? The only reason he hasn't signed is bcoz of money, end of story..... he's not going to north for love.
If you get him well done bcoz in my books his the best player in the league but don't kid yourself.
It all about the kanga haha

he's not going to north for love.

Is that right?

595ca8cdaff0b_386595ca87bbf39e_825thumb25.1609442060091.jpg

Bear in mind also the story that we got permission to go to 93% of the cap (2% below the minimum), meaning not only can we go to 100% of the cap, but presumably up to $105 or maybe 107% in 2018. This supports the front-loading approach.

What's the source of that?

Are you joking??? The only reason he hasn't signed is bcoz of money, end of story..... he's not going to north for love.
If you get him well done bcoz in my books his the best player in the league but don't kid yourself.
It all about the kanga haha

Didn't say it was for love, hence saying he will be celebrating the big money. I don't care what he loves as long as he's in Blue and White.

Breaking news !
" North have employed this guy to work on the Kelly / Dusty trade deal. Now, not one journalist in Melbourne is quite sure who he may be but, their looking into it "

View attachment 406870

Standby.

Last i checked we're in Australia, we know theres endless amounts of money for everything we could ever want.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

There's a magic poster on the Richmond board wanting to take high court action if Dusty comes to north. Could be my favourite melt there...

Sent from my F8331 using Tapatalk

I wouldn't pay attention to said poster, he is the most insane poster on our board, the majority of the shit he says is absurd.

I wouldn't pay attention to said poster, he is the most insane poster on our board, the majority of the shit he says is absurd.
Yeah seems a few kangaroos short in the top paddock.

Sent from my F8331 using Tapatalk

I particularly enjoy the idea of Joyce and Scott sitting around brainstorming ideas on how to get Martin, going "well, Cam, I'm just about plumb out of ideas!"

Then one of them goes "I've got it! $1.5 million a season!", and they start dancing around a maypole.

Six months down the track they have the slapstick routine of Ben Brown coming to the club with his manager going "I'd love a contract extension" and Joyce and Scott turning to camera, pulling their pockets out of their pants and showing nothing but lint, and doing an old-timey grimace and shake of the head.

It's like the media think the people running the club are ****ing amateurs. FFS Augustine's breakdown of the cap, presuming all the numbers are correct, is a more complete piece of analytical journalism than anything that's been posted on any of the major newspapers for the past year and a half.

Joyce and Scott are professionals and our list management team aren't a pack of incompetent buffoons sitting around pulling cheques out of thin air going "well we'll deal with the consequences of this when they arise".

This is a post I did at the start of the year. Since then it has become likely that we will lose Goldy and also the new salary cap is a confirmed 20% increase. We are LOADED. We can front load the shit out of the Martin and/or Kelly contracts next year.

Media DO NOT GET IT!

Edit: we've also since my post renewed a few contracts.

Measuring the War Chest

I'm going to have a crack at figuring out what sort of play money we're dealing with here. This is pure guesswork. I have no real idea what people are on so I'll try to be conservative with my estimations. I'd be very happy for some corrections or more accurate estimates and I can edit my post.

2016 Outs:

c. 600k or higher:
Wells
Dal Santo
c. 400-500k
Harvey
Petrie
c. 200k
Firrito
c. 100k
Nahas
Mackenzie
Tippett
Ray?

**Aaron Black**
What the hell was he on? I feel like it was a lot. Can anyone remember?

Total Lost: Somewhere between 2.5 - 3.4 M

2016 Ins:

Williams, Hrovat - 300k?
Ahern - Who knows 100-200k?

Draftees (we can actually know this):
Simpkin: $74,730
Watson: $67,935
Williams: $67,935
Larkey: $64,395

Zurhaar, Junker, Taylor: $64,395

Total In: Somewhere between 1M-1.5M

2016 Net Deficit: c. $1M - $2.3M

Then we need to remember that on top of this there will be plenty more retirements and delistings at the end of this season. Please don't everyone lose your shit at this, it's all pure speculation.

Red = very likely to be cut
Orange = unlikely but possible

Jarad Waite
Scott Thompson
Sam Gibson
Will Fordham
Andrew Swallow
Lachie Hansen
Ben Jacobs*

*Might seem harsh but I'm a bit worried for him contract is expiring and football isn't fair.

If we assume 4 or 5 of those happen (a safe assumption, as there is constant list turnover), I reckon that we can guess 2017 losses to be around $750k-1.5M.

It is also possible, but unlikely, that someone like Goldstein (on a mega contract) could be traded but let's ignore that possibility. Some of this contract space will be needed to spend on new draftees. We usually take 3 picks in the national draft and two rookies which is approx $350k.

Contracts

However let's not get too excited because there's existing player's contract renewals to consider. After all, retaining our own players should be the priority. I can't remember who signed at the end of last season so I'm just going to ignore that factor. Also I'm going to ignore the Rookies for this.

Renewals Needed:

Green= moderate to substantial pay rise will be needed
Orange = negligible to moderate rise needed
Red = possible pay cut

2017 end

Dumont
Clarke
McKay
Wanger
Nielson
Durdin
Mountford
Hibberd
2018 end
McDonald
Garner
Simpkin
Turner
Brown
Preuss
Higgins
Atley
Vickers-Willis
Watson, Williams, Larkey
Thomas

This is in constant flux. Who knows, Durdin might break out and suddenly need a big contract to secure him. I have to say though, as things stand, these contract negotiations should be pretty routine. Most are young guys who will only want pretty standard pay rises. We are going to have to put an extra 100k or two on many of the green players' new contracts. I might be wrong but I can't see the collective pay increase for all these players being much more than $1.5 million, unless one of these player's currency was to rise very dramatically in 12 months.

The most important thing to consider is how much of the cap we are paying this year. The salary cap is $10.6M and the floor is $10,070,000. We legally must be paying that much to our players. If we really did let go between $1.1-2.5M of payments last season, then we must have front loaded a heap of contracts in 2017 to an extreme degree just to pay that salary floor. This should free up even more cap space for next season and beyond.

Furthermore, (I believe, someone correct me if I'm wrong) the AFL rules work in a way that's similar to a mobile phone plan 'roll-over' system. What we don't pay of the cap in 2017 'rolls over' to 2018 and you then can pay that amount over the cap if you choose (But you can only roll over one year, it doesn't accumulate). This could mean that we could pay extra 600k over the cap next season and really front load some contracts.

The last thing to bear in mind is the new TPP that is being negotiated by the AFLPA. Who knows what this could mean.

In conclusion we are ******* loaded next year. It's not just the cap space though, it's the payment flexibility we seem to have that gives us negotiating power. So just how much play money do we actually have? It's complicated because contracts exist over many years and are structured creatively but going off all that info, estimates and speculation, a conservative guess would be about $2 million, but I believe it could be more like $3.5 million plus. This fits with the $1.5M to Dusty and $1M to Kelly.

Make no mistake we will be going hard at bringing in a superstar or two and we've got a lot of money to splash around.
Interesting Freudian slip on Mr. Wanger there :-D

If this goes through we need to start a fundme thingy and all chip in for some posters of this pic, so we can plaster them all over the age building with "look what the smart money is buying now Caro"
To be fair to Caro (god I hate saying that), from what I've seen of her she's been the least confident of the journos he will stay, and even when she claims he will she as an aside says that hes still a chance to go.

To be fair to Caro (god I hate saying that), from what I've seen of her she's been the least confident of the journos he will stay, and even when she claims he will she as an aside says that hes still a chance to go.

You can tell the worm is turning because even renowned simpleton Luke Darcy has clued on.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back