Traded Dylan Shiel [traded with future 2nd to Essendon for #9 and future 1st round pick]

Where is Dylan Shiel getting traded?

• Carlton

Votes: 182 39.8%
  • Essendon

Votes: 37 8.1%
  • Hawthorn

Votes: 146 31.9%
  • St Kilda

Votes: 71 15.5%
  • Other

Votes: 21 4.6%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

I’d much rather the Hawks get Wingard than Shiel.
I reckon if a club gets Chad for under a mil they'll be getting much better value for money than a club getting Shiel for say $1.2-1.3mil.

Shiel will be about the most overpaid in the league if he gets that.

He's very good, but that's Dusty/Fyfe money, and Shiel has never even gotten over 11 Brownlow votes in a season and is reportedly the "clanger kick king" of the AFL, who's performances drop in finals.

I counted at least 25 "mids" in the comp who I'd say are better than him.

I'd love to get him still, but bloody hell we'd better have cap space coming out our ears if we're going to be paying him and Hannebery over $2mil of our cap for at least 4 years.

Paying too much to too few is how we got into our current situation in the first place.

I reckon if a club gets Chad for under a mil they'll be getting much better value for money than a club getting Shiel for say $1.2-1.3mil.

Shiel will be about the most overpaid in the league if he gets that.

He's very good, but that's Dusty/Fyfe money, and Shiel has never even gotten over 11 Brownlow votes in a season and is reportedly the "clanger kick king" of the AFL, who's performances drop in finals.

I counted at least 25 "mids" in the comp who I'd say are better than him.

I'd love to get him still, but bloody hell we'd better have cap space coming out our ears if we're going to be paying him and Hannebery over $2mil of our cap for at least 4 years.

Paying too much to too few is how we got into our current situation in the first place.
But it worked - three grand finals...

Its a catch 22 if he takes the money, he has chosen money over any chance of success.
You cant take the money and not expect to blow out the list payments and expect success in the future too.

If you play footy for money great .
Not a great thing for the Saints if they want to ever get another cup, but it will sell memberships for next year.

Last time I looked it was still a team sport....play on

Its a catch 22 if he takes the money, he has chosen money over any chance of success.
You cant take the money and not expect to blow out the list payments and expect success in the future too.

Did you miss the Tom boyds million buck trade? Or prestia signing on for just under 700k seems to have worked okay for them. Heck even the pies have a million tied up in wells an mayne

To get him out of GWS I'd think 800-900.
1.2-1.3M is crazy and I can't see how he could knock that back.
$800-$900K PA sounds about right for him. $1.3mil is way excessive for someone who is clearly not elite and is already in his prime years.

Will all come down to just how much cap space teams like us and Carlton have though.

If we have a crazy amount to spare then paying Dylan crazy-overs won't be such a big deal.

Did you miss the Tom boyds million buck trade? Or prestia signing on for just under 700k seems to have worked okay for them. Heck even the pies have a million tied up in wells an mayne
The trick is add time
Just look at the Buddy deal and what thats cost them in terms of player leakage

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The trick is add time
Just look at the Buddy deal and what thats cost them in terms of player leakage
Yeah, Dogs pinched one, but had they not overspent on Boyd they'd probably have drafted Peter Wright and Jake Lever instead (who between them could have helped them win the flag like Boyd did) and they also would have had $800K PA to spend on someone else really good, who could have been on board by the 2016 season.

Instead of dropping off like they have, they might have stayed right up the top since, like Richmond did.

If we have a crazy amount to spare then paying Dylan crazy-overs won't be such a big deal.

It's obviously big money we're talking about for Shiel, and whilst I can understand the reluctance from some, I personally have no issue with it given where we're at right now.

We've got a huge amount of cap space, and I'd suggest it's likely if he did come across we'd look to heavily front load the contract.

For mine it's a no-brainer for Carlton to go down this path, even if it is at the 1.2-1.3m p/a being talked about.

It's obviously big money we're talking about for Shiel, and whilst I can understand the reluctance from some, I personally have no issue with it given where we're at right now.

We've got a huge amount of cap space, and I'd suggest it's likely if he did come across we'd look to heavily front load the contract.

For mine it's a no-brainer for Carlton to go down this path, even if it is at the 1.2-1.3m p/a being talked about.
From your perspective I can get behind it, but in our case it makes it a lot harder to front-end when you're also bringing in Hannebery on reportedly big coin.

They would chew up a big chunk of the cap for years and make it harder to get in those who are actually elite.

We'd want to have a huge amount free.

Yeah, Dogs pinched one, but had they not overspent on Boyd they'd probably have drafted Peter Wright and Jake Lever instead (who between them could have helped them win the flag like Boyd did) and they also would have had $800K PA to spend on someone else really good, who could have been on board by the 2016 season.

Instead of dropping off like they have, they might have stayed right up the top since, like Richmond did.

Huh or they could of drafted nathan Freeman or traded in a spud like longer they didn't an haven't lost any players of note.
Cap space went up over that time to.

Huh or they could of drafted nathan Freeman or traded in a spud like longer they didn't an haven't lost any players of note.
Cap space went up over that time to.
But Wright and Lever were the two they were reportedly heavily into in that draft and they definitely were the types their list needed at that time (giving them height at both ends) and they would have had the ideal two picks to get them.

Saints probably can afford to pay 1.3m to Shiel. It's not like they have plenty of other talent on high money either, if they didn't spend the $ they'd just be overpaying average players to meet the minimum.

It's way ****ing overpriced, and not anywhere near where I'd want ess to go, but it makes sense for them- and blues too.

Both played in 2 grand finals, and the Swans have gone deep most years they were and have been at the club.

I'd say that's fairly successful despite not yet going the whole way.

I don't either is a particularly good example of the point he's trying to make.
Pretty sure success is judged by going the whole way

Remove this Banner Ad

Traded Dylan Shiel [traded with future 2nd to Essendon for #9 and future 1st round pick]

Back