Traded Dylan Shiel [traded with future 2nd to Essendon for #9 and future 1st round pick]

Where is Dylan Shiel getting traded?

• Carlton

Votes: 182 39.8%
  • Essendon

Votes: 37 8.1%
  • Hawthorn

Votes: 146 31.9%
  • St Kilda

Votes: 71 15.5%
  • Other

Votes: 21 4.6%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

Dylan would be an absolute perfect fit at Hawthorn and I hope we get him. Though he would be equally good to Carlton.
Let's be patient and see quietly reflecting on what happens.

The thing not to do is say that teams need to bottom out. The Hawks will not now nor in the foreseeable future turn to the draft for salvation. That era is dead.. we were the last non expansion club to build from the draft. The era of free agency and trading within a salary cap is here and it now all comes down to how you attract and retain players as well as how you manage your salary cap.

Clubs face the difficult task of being a destination club.. that is a club that can pay less for a player than a non destination club.
You must find a way to be relevant to the market.

Fortunately for Carlton Cripps and Curnow are starting to make Carlton relevant again. Though wins need to start rolling in soon.
Is Hawthorn the destination club it has been over the past 10 years.. maybe not.. but we're still doing some good things on and off the field.

If he wants to play finals next year which I assume any gun that's been in the finals the last two years might.. is Carlton his no1 choice or elsewhere.
I certainly don't know but have my fingers crossed.

Don't forget that we also have a full list of players as well to work with, even if they were not included in a trade with the Giants directly. People suggesting we may not have the currency to get a deal done is more hopeful than anything else.
Trust me, we WILL do everything in our corner to get across A graders. I actually love how quite we are.

Wow. It’s like you’re been stuck in an underground bunker and have missed Hawthorn regenerate their list on the run over the last 2 years and finish top 4 after supposedly being destined to the bottom 4 after 2016 concluded.

All this other stuff about the 80’s and 90’s though, I mean, it’s great and all, but it really just sounds like you really want it to happen more than it being based on reality.
Regenerated your list? You traded in two A grade midfielders, but apart from that it's the same players getting it done, who are in the twilight of their careers.

Regenerated your list? You traded in two A grade midfielders, but apart from that it's the same players getting it done, who are in the twilight of their careers.

What same players? I didn’t realise Hodge, Mitchell, Lewis, Lake, Gibson, Hill etc were all still at the Hawks. :oops:

Roughead is past his best, Rioli retired, Birchall hasn’t played in two years, Frawley is hot and cold and Burgoyne had a down season. So what senior players are carrying the Hawks?

If you look at the Hawks top five performing players this year none of them are in the twilight of their careers or coming to end.

1. Mitchell (25)
2. Gunston (26)
3. O’Meara (24)
4. Breust (27)
5. Sicily (23)

Last edited:
Keep on talking.

You ain't getting a star for shits and giggles.

Pay something to get something.

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk
What? I barrack for Essendon. I hope Hawks have to pay for him, but I've seen how situations like these go. They'll pay 2 firsts, which is what they can pay.

What same players? I didn’t realise Hodge, Mitchell, Lewis, Lake, Gibson, Hill etc were all still at the Hawks. :oops:

Roughead is past his best, Rioli retired, Birchall hasn’t played in two years, Frawley is hot and cold and Burgoyne had a down season. So what senior players are carrying the Hawks?

If you look at the Hawks top five performing players this year none of them are in the twilight of their careers or coming to end.

1. Mitchell (25)
2. Gunston (26)
3. O’Meara (24)
4. Breust (27)
5. Sicily (23)
Didn't realise 5 players was all it took. Gunston and Breust are still the same players referred to, admittedly they have a few years left. However, it drops away pretty quickly from there.

Looking forward to the absolute hypocrites first press conference.

Was one of the main voices in the media last year imploring Kelly to re-sign to keep the band together, he's gone 12 months later and probably started planning it the middle of this year.

Yeah, but how do they get the trade done?

Was one of the main voices in the media last year imploring Kelly to re-sign to keep the band together, he's gone 12 months later and probably started planning it the middle of this year.

He's probably got the mail re-Josh 2019.;)

Last edited:

I dont follow this too closely, but the reports say that Sheil would be forced out as the Giants would be waaay over the salary cap if they didnt shed a few big money players.

I got the impression that his first choice would be to stay rather than leave, but the situation is what it is. Seems to be more of a stuff up by the Giants list manager and contract guys, than a player maximising his dough. If the tweet above is to be believed, then he actually wants a solid club rather than the most cash (Blues).

This hardly makes him a mercenary hypocrite.

I dont follow this too closely, but the reports say that Sheil would be forced out as the Giants would be waaay over the salary cap if they didnt shed a few big money players.

I got the impression that his first choice would be to stay rather than leave, but the situation is what it is. Seems to be more of a stuff up by the Giants list manager and contract guys, than a player maximising his dough. If the tweet above is to be believed, then he actually wants a solid club rather than the most cash (Blues).

It doiesn't mean the Giants wouldn't look at getting the best odds they can, especially if other options are available.

How did we come to this. GWS shopped Shiel as part of an option of packages for pick one, Shiels management went to Hawthorn to see if they would take part as a third party to the deal, they can give GWS pick 14 and substantial cap relief by other legit means. It has progressed from there.

North has never been an option not even as jilted bridesmaid, North supporters have no need to be bitter about this transaction.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

How did we come to this. GWS shopped Shiel as part of an option of packages for pick one, Shiels management went to Hawthorn to see if they would take part as a third party to the deal, they can give GWS pick 14 and substantial cap relief by other legit means. It has progressed from there.

I'd reckon the bombres would be players in this trade with pick 8, and the logic of selecting Hawthorn over GWS to win flags is also flawed.

North has never been an option not even as jilted bridesmaid, North supporters have no need to be bitter about this transaction.

I can't remember any North poster stating this. He'd be well down our list of priorities.

Nice alt account BTW.:thumbsu:

Kinda sucks that Hawks have been able to simply trade in a mature gun midfield in Mitchell, JOM & Shiel and not even bother developing one themselves.

Hawthorns development program pretty much ceased with the ending of priority picks.

It doiesn't mean the Giants wouldn't look at getting the best odds they can, especially if other options are available.

Agree. Anyone who wants Shiel would have to satisfy the Giants. I would imagine that a usefull player would/could be included, where the original club pays the salary for that player to give even more cap happiness. From the Hawk perspective, Ceglar has been mentioned, who may be usefull to the Giants if Lobbe walks. Packaged up with our first rounder it begins to feel fair, though swaps of picks may also occur.

My post was more about Shiels Character in reponse to Pykie calling him a Hypocrite.

Senior player pushes club line, more news at 11. Seriously what is he meant to say in pressers when he's fed lines by the club and pushed for comment by the media?

Kinda sucks that Hawks have been able to simply trade in a mature gun midfield in Mitchell, JOM & Shiel and not even bother developing one themselves.

That’s called good list management

Agree. Anyone who wants Shiel would have to satisfy the Giants. I would imagine that a usefull player would/could be included, where the original club pays the salary for that player to give even more cap happiness. From the Hawk perspective, Ceglar has been mentioned, who may be usefull to the Giants if Lobbe walks. Packaged up with our first rounder it begins to feel fair, though swaps of picks may also occur.

My post was more about Shiels Character in reponse to Pykie calling him a Hypocrite.

Well, do you remember Shiel's plea to Kelly?

Here it is:

https://www.sen.com.au/news/2017/06/21/giant-star-s-kelly-plea/

It seems pretty hypocritical looking back now.

Not trying to get into a negative discussion, but do you honestly believe that a professional club would put themselves in the situation that you have theorised?

I'd reckon the bombres would be players in this trade with pick 8, and the logic of selecting Hawthorn over GWS to win flags is also flawed.

I can't remember any North poster stating this. He'd be well down our list of priorities.

Nice alt account BTW.:thumbsu:

Hawthorns development program pretty much ceased with the ending of priority picks.
Posted this in the rumours sub weeks ago, why are North supporters seem overly emotionly involved in following this and no.

Posted this in the rumours sub weeks ago, why are North supporters seem overly emotionly involved in following this and no.

I follow a lot of non North related trading threads because I find the machinations interesting.

However, I don't go to the extent of logging in to alt accounts to criticise peoples motives because I don't agree with their point of view.

If Hawthorn lands him, then congratulations to them.

Does anyone seriously think that GWS will let Shiel go to any club that doesn’t give them a top 10 draft pick in return?

Remove this Banner Ad

Traded Dylan Shiel [traded with future 2nd to Essendon for #9 and future 1st round pick]

Back