Eade's Performance for 2010

Remove this Banner Ad

Master Coach

Debutant
Nov 24, 2007
Australasia
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Here's a quick list I have compiled we can use to rate Eade's coaching performance for 2010. The list is by now means complete -so please add additional items you think we can use.

What rating (out of 10) would you score Eade on the below items?
  • How would you rate his game day tactical skills?
  • How would you rate his game day decision making?
  • How would you rate him as an inspirational leader?
  • How well did he make the hard decisions?
  • What changes to the Club’s culture and performance environment did he make and how well are they working?
  • How does his overall game technical knowledge and skills rate?
  • How well would you rate his knowledge and skills in sports science and performance enhancement?
  • How would you rate his ability to get people working together towards a common goal?
  • How would you rate his player communications skills and his understanding and empathy for the playing group?
  • How well has he helped create leaders in the player group and create a player driven culture?
  • How would you rate his vision and direction?
  • How well does he handle pressure?
  • How well does he imbue players with confidence in themselves?
  • How well does he manage his assistant coaches, staff etc?
  • How would you rate the coaching panel he has selected?
  • How would you rate his ability to get the club management to buy in what he is trying to achieve?
  • How well does he deal with the media?
  • How well does he understand the nature of change and how to change behavior?
  • How well does he understand the critical psychological performance levers to enhance performance?
  • How well does he understand the psychological demands of being a successful AFL team player?
  • How well does he understand the individual psychological profile of each of his players?
  • How well does he develop the player's required mental skills for peak performance?
  • How well does his technical and mental skills practice sessions affect the quality of performance?
  • How well does he develop player mental toughness?
  • How well has he identified mental game obstacles affecting a player's performance?
  • How well has he identified player technical skill deficiencies that influence performance?
  • How well has his individual player development plans worked?
  • How well has his own coach development plan worked?
  • How well does he communicate to his players and ask the right questions?
  • How well does he listen to his players?
  • How well would you rate his performance of some the following required roles/identities of a Senior Coach?
    -The Caretaker. - The Trained Observer. - The Teacher. - The Mentor. - The Sponsor. -The Awakener.
  • etc...

Correct CD! Unless we have access to the players, coaching staff, management etc -how well can we really judge Eade's performance? Hence the need to acknowledge what we do not know/have access to and when we do try to rate his performance we should also use an objective (read: non-emotive) approach..

Unless you're in the inner sanctum of the club, it's going to be very hard to answer many of these questions with a degree of accuracy. You'll be relying on media reports & heaven forbid, luminaries that post on BF!

"BullS@#$" Coon Dog

Every Bulldog fan has watched our games and has the right to judge what they see through their individual eyes prior to someone on the payroll at the club putting their spin or excuse on things.

"BullS@#$" Coon Dog

Every Bulldog fan has watched our games and has the right to judge what they see through their individual eyes prior to someone on the payroll at the club putting their spin or excuse on things.
Let's look at one example:

How would you rate his player communications skills and his understanding and empathy for the playing group?

From outside you can't. Unless you are involved within you wouldn't know for example about the young kid who approached Rocket about the problems he was having with his Dad, who kept interfering. How was that resolved? Was Eade empathetic? You just don't know & there are hundreds of these type of issues dealt with away from the prying eyes of the media at all clubs.

My point stands. This just presents an opportunity for uninformed individuals like yourself to have a crack at the coach!

"BullS@#$" Coon Dog

They have the right to judge, it's just that individual eyes will almost definately be wrong due to bias, illformed opinion, ego, stupidity, and little understanding of the club and its workings. I was quite enjoying the fact that we had got rid of both Aker and Acker at the same time this year, please feel free to take the same route as your namesake.

Case in point, youself jabbering on about Hudson not being part of best 22 for first half of year, how do you think anyone can take you seriously when you someone has such an incorrect, ill-formed and bias opinion.

The one thing that comes from these Eade debates is that there seems to be very little middle group on the opinion on how good he is. Basically he's either a fantastic coach on the brink or a good coach who can't take the group the next step. Outside of that there seems to be very little either way.

• How would you rate his game day tactical skills? - 5/10
  • How would you rate his game day decision making? - 4/10
  • How would you rate him as an inspirational leader? - 6/10
  • How well did he make the hard decisions? - 3/10
  • How does his overall game technical knowledge and skills rate? - 6/10
  • How well has he helped create leaders in the player group and create a player driven culture? -4/10
  • How would you rate his vision and direction? - 3/10
  • How well does he handle pressure? - 5/10
  • How well does he imbue players with confidence in themselves? - 4/10
  • How well does he deal with the media? 7/10
  • How well does he understand the nature of change and how to change behavior? 5/10
  • How well does he understand the psychological demands of being a successful AFL team player? 6/10
  • How well does he develop the player's required mental skills for peak performance? -5/10
  • How well has he identified mental game obstacles affecting a player's performance? 3/10
  • How well has his individual player development plans worked? 5/10
Many of the questions are difficult to answer without being present at training sessions, team meetings etc.

Overall I rate Eade's season a 5/10. Hasnt been able to get over that last hurdle and the handling of playing injured players hurt the opportunities this year

I felt he had a decent year but needs to go out and address some problems with our forward line speed and our one paced midfield.

I liked that he allowed Grant and Roughead to grow as a footballer and that he gave Jones an extended run in the seniors and the way he saw an issue like Murphy upforward and was willing to move him down back for the later part of the year. He showed flexibility in the postions he was willing to play certain players.

I didnt like the amount of player inpowerment he has giving and feel that he should be showing more who is in charge then going this new age bs. I also didnt like his unwillingness to give Everitt a go once he returned from injury.

The one thing that comes from these Eade debates is that there seems to be very little middle group on the opinion on how good he is. Basically he's either a fantastic coach on the brink or a good coach who can't take the group the next step. Outside of that there seems to be very little either way.

This post doesn't make sense to me.

I would have thought there had been a hell of a lot of criticism for Eade's coaching on this board this year and I would have thought the 2 defined groups would be the bolded version or that he is just an average coach and his time was probably up.

I haven't seen too many people saying that he is a fantastic coach.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

He's taken us to 3 Prelims in 3 years. That to me makes him a good coach who can't take the next step.

If you don't think there's a group on this board that thinks the sun shines out of his arse, just post in a thread suggesting you think he's a poor coach and see what happens.

And thus, i think you have the two distinct groups.

What rating (out of 10) would you score Eade on the below items?

*How would you rate his game day tactical skills? 5.5/10 he does have a game plan to start with

*How would you rate his game day decision making? 3/10 often starts with a negative/neutral game plan and then reacts to what the opposition does

*How would you rate him as an inspirational leader? 3/10 to often relies on blowing up in front of players; predictably reactionary

*How well did he make the hard decisions? 2/10 put off Johnno and Eagletons retirement for to long, and failed to address poor form issues with Higgins and Hahn.

*What changes to the Club’s culture and performance environment did he make and how well are they working? 1/10 Culture is disapointing there is a sense of entitlement among longer serving players, while younger less experienced players are expected to jump through an unjustisfiable amount of hoops and hurdles to get a place in the senior side.

*How does his overall game technical knowledge and skills rate? 5/10 6 years ago he used to involve himself in lifting individual players like Lindsay Gilbee..I think that is something Rocket is realy good at, but unfortunately now he has distanced himself from that role

*How well would you rate his knowledge and skills in sports science and performance enhancement? 1.5/10 He is a non premiership coach on a high wage who thinks he knows everything and continualy gets outdone by other often less well paid coaches that do win premiership's including one free at the moment who would step into his position in a heart beat at a much cheaper price "Mark Williams"

*How would you rate his ability to get people working together towards a common goal? 1.5/10 only common goal Eade seems to have is continuation of his employment. RIP coaching Chris Bond, Leon Cameron and Sean Welham RIP playing Jodie McMahon, Farren Ray and almost Andrejs Everitt and rumoured Josh Hill....remember Eade kept Brett Kirk outside the Swans senior side when he was coaching and in his final 18 months with the Swans refused to speak totally with Jude Bolton talk about cracking the p00ps !

*How would you rate his player communications skills and his understanding and empathy for the playing group? 4/10 too much empathy for old players promising to deliver something they never deliver..and too little empathy for younger players such as Everitt and Hill who should be developing within the squad rather than sitting outside it while old players continualy dissapoint.

*How well has he helped create leaders in the player group and create a player driven culture? 0/10 He has created a sense of leadership expectation dependant on games played rather than deeds done throughout the club..this sucks...longetivity should not been the main factor in determining captaincy :mad:

*How would you rate his vision and direction? 2/10 Give him 2 points for showing enough vision to keep his $700k/year job

*How well does he handle pressure? 0/10 other than giving players a rant he does not offer much

*How well does he imbue players with confidence in themselves? 3.5/10 if they are cruising at half time he is everyones best mate, if they are behind he ill become dictatorial offering solutions that may or may not get them out of trouble

*How well does he manage his assistant coaches, staff etc? 2/10 Obviously likes to part company with anyone that may emerge to threaten his senior coach position..Chis Bond and Leon Cameron spring to my mind..I suppose he got his fingers burnt previously when Paul Roos went on to win a premiership with the Swans after Rocket got ditched.

*How would you rate the coaching panel he has selected? Judjing by our forward performance in the finals and the goals kicked against us by StKilda and Collingwood ..I would have trouble justifying more than 2.5/10 for Paul Williams and Peter Deans performance

*How would you rate his ability to get the club management to buy in what he is trying to achieve? 10/10 for ability to convince them to buy old short term players that help to win 4pt home and away games 3.5/10 to buy players who may have an impact in Finals (100% of that 3.5 is due to Barry Hall) -4/10 to buy in developing players, seems to always end up with a negative love or hate Farren Ray and Jordan McMahon they were both players in their early to mid 20's that rocket trade yet all he seems to get back is players over 30 such as Welsh, Akermanis, Hudson and Hall...what he seems to want to achieve appears to be very short term

*How well does he deal with the media? 10/10 personally 5/10 for the club

*How well does he understand the nature of change and how to change behavior? 0/10 no idea a total one trick pony

*How well does he understand the critical psychological performance levers to enhance performance? 2/10 He is very good at blaming others for making mistakes during games..but I don't think he looks like he takes constructive criticism on board well.

*How well does he understand the psychological demands of being a successful AFL team player? 3/10 Has a very good 1980's type idea of it.

*How well does he understand the individual psychological profile of each of his players? 1.5/10 Knows the individual needs of B.Hall and B.Lake pretty well but I think he bulk-groups the rest of the sqaud into collective groups such as "The Good" "The Bad" and "Those He Can't be Bothered Helping"

*How well does he develop the player's required mental skills for peak performance? 8/10 2005 1/10 2010 something he has backslid on ..familiarity breeds contempt

*How well does his technical and mental skills practice sessions affect the quality of performance? 3/10 Unfortunately he is actively trying to keep the gene-pool of prospective senior coach challengers from the assistant coach talent pool so low that this area has gone significiently backwards

*How well does he develop player mental toughness? 1/10 Stifles individuality to the enth degree

*How well has he identified mental game obstacles affecting a player's performance? 1/10 Does not rate them, thats why we saw the sickening sight a few years ago of no senior player going up to talk to Stephen Tiller (a player who normally has an exeptionaly high disposal effiency rating) after a blatant rare error in a home and away game against North Melbourne..yet often similar errors by older players in the group such as Hargrave, Gilbee, Giansircusa and Johnson,are more than often excused :mad:

*How well has he identified player technical skill deficiencies that influence performance? 1/10 judging by the low foot and hand skill effiency rates the Dog's wre acheiving during the finals..I don't think Rocket thinks that part of coaching comes under his caching job description.

*How well has his individual player development plans worked? 1/10 Other than Jarrad Grant not very well in my opinion..Roughead, Jones, Hooper and Woods got senior game time, but new players get senior game time every year in every club..nothing outstanding happened at the Dog's

*How well has his own coach development plan worked? 0.5/10 Set an objective to get our team in the Grand Final after 2 consecutive Prelim Final defeats...failed. Not to forget that he has not coached a team into a Grand Final since 1996 (Swans) and 2 years after he left in 2005 his former Assistant Coach Paul Roos coached the side Rocket coached for 7 years to a Premiership..with much the same playing group.. most notable difference No Rocket

*How well does he listen to his players? 2/10 Brian Lake headed a representation of 5-6 players he was not talking to after the 2007 disasterous season

*How well would you rate his performance of some the following required roles/identities of a Senior Coach?

*The Caretaker 1.5/10 I think on the way out of the job he will be destructive in an attempt to save face

*The Trained Observer 5/10 OK but I think he is a long way behind others such as his former captain Leigh Mathews ..he will probably have some role in the media but I don't think he will be at the cutting edge of critical comment nor does he deserve to be.

*The Teacher 2005 7/10 2010 1/10 realy has stepped back for some reason, and I think teaching players in development is his strongest suite

*The Mentor 2005 7/10 2010 1/10 likewise to teaching he has stepped back from mentoring over the past 6 years as well..I thought Rocket was at his best when he grabbed and shaped Lindsay Gilbee just after he got here..unfortunately he has not been that heavilly involved in player development ever since

*The Sponsor 2/10 even media wise other coaches are running around him in profile, biggest problem for Rocket is that there is starting to be a lot of talk that he may never be capable of coaching a premiership..and there is good reason looking at the Swans Premiership in 2005 to suggest that he may be a reason holding the club back from winning a Premiership

*The Awakener 0/10 Has acheived nothing more than what Terry Wallace did

Don't encourage him, FFS!!;)

Address the question posed rather than just closing your mind on it.

I will expand on it a bit by seperating my opinion out of 10 how Eade has coached ech year

• 2005 just missed the finals after taking over from Road Kill ....7.5/10 (emerging young side)
  • 2006 lost semi final to West Coast in Perth .....8.5/10 (emerging young side)
  • 2007 finished below10th .......3.5/10 (middle aged side)
  • 2008 lost Prelim final to Geelong ......8/10 (middle aged side)
  • 2009 lost Prelim final to StKilda .....8/10 (older side)
  • 2010 lost Prelim Final to StKilda...... 6/10 (older side)

Why not try answering the Original Posters questions or some of them ..perhaps give him 10/10 for everything rather than try to criticise someone who has

This all loving group hug for not sharing an opinion is realy just a high water mark in how sheep like you have become

Acker. Not sure if I read this correctly. Were you criticising Eade for getting rid of McMahon? McMahon was not an AFL standard player...one look at his piss weak teenage moustache should have told you that. Ray was not playing particularly well for us. It is a credit to him that he has done so well at St Kilda....this is not necessarily Rocket's problem though. Perhaps the change of scenery was just what he needed.

As for his other failures in getting Hudson, Akermannis, Welsh, Hall...I think you're on your own mate. All of these senior players have been great for the club (with one notable exception in his final year).

I read the rest of your post and while it's interesting I'm just not sure you can make many of those assertions without being intimately involved in the club. Game plan comments are fair but man management is just a guess.

Anyway...my two bobs worth ;)

Acker. Not sure if I read this correctly. Were you criticising Eade for getting rid of McMahon? .........
I read the rest of your post and while it's interesting I'm just not sure you can make many of those assertions without being intimately involved in the club. Game plan comments are fair but man management is just a guess.

Anyway...my two bobs worth ;)

Just wanted you to answer some of the original posters questions "in your opinion"

Rather than getting caught up in Coon Dogs and Pig Dogs... 2 line hyperbole about why to kill the post because they don't like it.

Hi Aker. I don't think their intention was to kill the post (as far as I know). I think they were more concerned about the neccessary hyperbole that goes into questions of man management and intra club management issues. Using examples of what may or may not have happened at Sydney (do you have any sources for this stuff?) does not inspire me with confidence in the accuracy of the assertions. I think you observations on the game plan stuff is too harsh for mine but still perfectly valid.

We have Eade for another year. Unless we win a flag I doubt we'll have him after that. Just time for a change.

:)

Hi Aker. I don't think their intention was to kill the post (as far as I know). I think they were more concerned about the neccessary hyperbole that goes into questions of man management and intra club management issues. Using examples of what may or may not have happened at Sydney (do you have any sources for this stuff?) does not inspire me with confidence in the accuracy of the assertions. I think you observations on the game plan stuff is too harsh for mine but still perfectly valid.

We have Eade for another year. Unless we win a flag I doubt we'll have him after that. Just time for a change.

:)

Bazza neither of them attampted tho original posters question ..this is a football forum everyone has the right to ask a question (love them or hate them)

It's not up to those two to decide what questions/posts suit them on the forum

He's taken us to 3 Prelims in 3 years. That to me makes him a good coach who can't take the next step.

If you don't think there's a group on this board that thinks the sun shines out of his arse, just post in a thread suggesting you think he's a poor coach and see what happens.

And thus, i think you have the two distinct groups.

Forget the coach, maybe we overate our group and they are just not good enough to take the next step

Remove this Banner Ad

Eade's Performance for 2010

Remove this Banner Ad

Back