Eagles vs Geelong

Remove this Banner Ad

Visro

Premiership Player
Aug 1, 2000
Just starting the thread for the game on the weekend. Will be able to say more when the team is announced.

Vis

PS Heard Milli is probably not going to play! :(

Originally posted by Visro
PS Heard Milli is probably not going to play! :(

And to make things worse, i read that Harding will be considered for the game :eek: I would rather see McDougall or Haynes get a run than that old worthless fart (sorry to any Harding fans, but he is useless :D )

Update,

IN - Haynes, Humm, Turnbull
OUT - no one yet.

This leaves a bench of Chambers, Cox, Haynes, Hunter, Humm, Munro, Turnbull.

I would like to see Chambers, Cox, Haynes and Hunter get a go this week. Turnbull might have been picked to cover an injury, (Hopefully not Gardy)

The Eagles have made no changes to the team which lost to North Melbourne last weekend in a disappointing last quarter fadeout. While they should be a chance against Geelong this week, it really depends on whether the "good" Eagles or the "bad" Eagles turn up on Sunday.

David Haynes, Adam Hunter and Ryan Turnbull have been added to the squad, with three to be omitted on Sunday.

Ashley McIntosh and Travis Gaspar have failed to return from the injuries which saw them miss last week's game.

Although named lineups don't usually bear much resemblance to the team which takes the field, there are signs that the Eagles plan to epxeriment. Darren Glass has been named at full back, with Trent Carroll moving to centre half-forward. Both Matera brothers have been named in the forward line, flanking Troy Wilson.

The Record: West Coast have played Geelong 28 times. The Eagles have won 17 to the Cats 11. In Round One this year, Geelong won by 66 points.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Backs: Josh Wooden Darren Glass Michael Collica
Half Backs: Andrew Williams Glen Jakovich David Wirrpunda
Centres: Richard Taylor Ben Cousins Chad Fletcher
Half Forwards: Andrew Embley Trent Carroll Mark Merenda
Forwards: Phil Matera Troy Wilson Peter Matera
Ruck: Michael Gardiner Rowan Jones Daniel Kerr
Interchange (from): Callum Chambers
Dean Cox
Ryan Turnbull
Kane Munro
David Haynes
Jeremy Humm
Adam Hunter

In: Haynes, Humm, Turnbull
Out:

http://westcoast.rivals.net/default.asp?sid=1523&p=2&stid=8148835

This is a game that the Eagles have a very good chance to win and I see some of the "experts" from the media are tipping them to win.
On player selection I think the interchange bench will be Cox, Haynes, Chambers and a toss up between Hunter and Humm.
Turnbull and Munro back to WAFL.

The selection of Turnbull suggests that Gardy will not come up. He was clearly carrying an injury last week and was benched in last quarter. But King is missing for Cats so Cox could do well. May be wet though and a heavier rather than taller ruckman may be better suited.

Milli is contracted for another season so any thoughts of his retirement at end of season are unfounded.

I too have picked us for a win, i think the Cats are ripe for the picking. The youngsters need to put in but if they do i think we are a chance. The only reason we lost last week was because Pickett was on fire not to mention the 12 goals that came from Carey and Sav. The cats dont have the formidable forward line like the Roos do so i think we are a real chance.

PS. Sorry if that made no sense im a little smashed :)

Originally posted by jod23
The only reason we lost last week was because Pickett was on fire not to mention the 12 goals that came from Carey and Sav.

I would say that the Pickett goals were largely down to KJ keeping Roo on him. Collica controlled him well.

The reason we lost was lack of accountability in the last ten minutes, Gardy on the bench, some incredible Roos goals in that last ten minutes and our droping our heads.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Yep, Very disappointing game in the end.....

We were looking pretty good early in the second quarter but then just seemed to stop - KJ taking Gardy out of the ruck didnt help....

In the third quarter we were very lucky to be only 3 goals down after a very dodgy performance - the guys seemed to play on at all costs and often put the receiver in a lot of trouble. The boys lost their desire today in the second half.

Full credit to Geelong - they wanted to win and came from 4 goals down in the 2nd quarter to obliterate us. Looks a bit like one step forward, two steps back for the Eagles at this stage.

Ruined my weekend but at least that extra draft pick is looking safe....

We can only get better (I hope)!!

The scoreline did not reflect how poorly we really played. We were lucky they missed quite a few they shouldn't have (i.e Bizzell).

The last quarter was a repeat of last weeks. Most of the players looked like they knew it was out their grasp and seemed to give up. When we were 21 points up, did we think we'd won it then??

Simple mistakes cost us dearly - some of our hand balling errors (Jakovich!) resulted in goals to Geelong.

Again, some of Judges decisions were questionable.

Cousins is a fantastic player, but IMO the rest of the team look for him and rely only on him too much. At various points during the game, the ball was kicked or passed to him when there were other better options available. The players put him under too much and at times unnecesary pressure.

I again liked Wilson's game, had to have been our best. Maybe he should have gone in and flattened a couple of the Geelong boy's early on. He seems to have a hard time getting the umpires to see frees in his favour, apparently he doesn't have a back :confused:

I don't know what everyone else's opinion is here of Humm, but the crowd around me ripped into him every time he went near the ball. I say, give him a break, he's kid for god's sake!

It wasn't just Peter Matera & Jako who had bad games, they all did!

Really the only good thing to come out of the game, is what looked like a bad injury to Matera, isn't.

What a shocker!!!

Bloody hell.

Not really much more to say.

Guess the last month of slightly encouraging performances was as good as it's gonna get this year?

Anyway, I don't claim to have much of a footy knowledge, but surely leaving your clubs best ever defender on the bench for waayyyy longer than is required for a reprimand and quick chat when your inexperienced defence is under enormous attack isn't really a good move? And to then leave him in the forward line for the last quarter, effectively out of the play? I just would've liked to see him and Roo out back there helping stem the flow, rather then being punished still up forward. I just don't understand KJ at times, and am wary of blind faith :(
Damned knees! We'd have to be more competitive with Read, Prior, McIntosh, Morrison and even Banners and Donners able to defend?

Cuz's disposal was dreadful again today, but given the lack of team play and support, as well as the pressure put on him by Geelong, it's not really a surprise. Did anyone else think he looked a bit unfit today? Maybe just a bit flat from carrying the team....

There were positives today, but I'll have to think about them a bit longer ;) Being able to hear the bombers-north game on the radio since our croud were so quiet was pretty good.... :eek:

Why is Roo being played in defence? His skill is incredible and his strength is his ability to create something out of nothing, wouldn't he be better off playing in the midfield? Especially considering our youngsters still don't have particularly good skills and could really learn something from him.

Can't wait till we start winning again, because i'm getting tired of losing.:(

Dreadful

We were dreadful today.

Don't let any joker tell you that we're improving. We have conceded the last 6 and 7 goals in a match at home two weeks running - and that's not good enough. And a narrow loss in a shocking game away to Adelaide the week before wasn't exactly a great result either. It's just that we're so desperate to see some light at the end of the tunnel that we welcome any show of improvement.

People seemed to pick on Humm for no reason. Perhaps they don't like his hairstyle. The poor bloke was asked to play out of position on a forward flank and make an impression in a poor side getting flogged. He made mistakes, but was not on his Molly Malone there. I think he'll be good as an "in and under" midfielder, if he's given the chance.

Judge can make any excuses he wants to, but he was comprehensively out-coached by Thompson today. What is he saying to them in the breaks? What was the half and three quarter time game plan? They came out looking as flat as a steamrolled pancake. And why is our decision-making so poor? Why do we play on at all costs, even when our team-mate isn't looking, let alone ready?

Geelong are a marginal top eight side at best. We made Mensch look good!

Heads went down. Players didn't believe in themselves, their team-mates or the game plan. You can't rely on getting your injured players back. They might not be any good any more. We might not be much better a side even with some of our injured players back. Who can say that Prior, Sierakowski and Braun will come back and be able to play AFL at a decent level again after 2 knee reconstructions for the first two and a chequered injury pattern for the latter? We have to make more of what we've got and not make excuses all the time. Get some pace in the side.

This could go on for a couple of seasons yet, you know. I am depressed. I still shouted and supported them and stayed till the end and cheered them off - but I can tell I'm going to be in the minority going forward.

Oh well, chin up, there's always next week.

I'm with you allthe way VOR.

Take Chad Morrisson, great player but looks average under KJ. Would he improve things ? Or Banners? Or would they be lacking motivation and confused too.

Wooden was on 6PR 25 minutes after the game. The panel were amazed he was out so early. Normally after a fade-out like that the team would have a hard 1-2 hours bollocking.

Josh was asked what Judgey said. Josh replied that Judgey said he was dissappointed.............That's a bloody understatement!!!

I clapped them off at the end as usual but I will make this comment. Thousands of us stay and clap the guys off. Win or lose. When they lose they don't acknowledge the supporters at all. not even a little hand gesture of 'thanks' despite us watching another dreadful fade out. That is an attitude and culture failure. The supporters are the most important parts of the club and pay the players wages. A bit of rapport in defeat is important

Last Quarter Fade-Outs are becoming a joke!

One of the worst quarters of footy I've seen the Eagles play this year. There was no passion, attempt, contest for any of the play. They gave Geelong the 4 points on a plate basically. I was disappointed with a few players games, Williams had a shocker and should get dropped, Peter Matera needs to be moved on a half forward flank - he can't keep up with the gun forwards these days (Pickett, Burns), Glass looked 2nd rate... I won't go on.

Why won't Judge and the selection team reward the players who are in good WAFL form? Haynes kicked 2 goals again this weekend and If he doesn't get a fair go - I reckon he'll go back over east. Antonowicz killed McDougall in the East Perth vs Perth clash so maybe a recall for Tona is warranted. Kasey Green and Kris Miller also had stand out games for East Freo... our midfield is lacking at the moment so give Kasey a game or promote Kris from the rookie list - just give all the players IN FORM a go, they can't do much worse than yesterdays performance.

Frodo - there was one or two passages right from where I was sitting (2 tier stand) and Williams was beaten on both occasions by his opponent simply because his player was going in a lot harder and being more desperate for the ball. Maybe it was out of fatigue, still learning as a player but Williams just didn't seem to be there to play.

We played well for two quarters and then we were dreadful. They keep playing like this we will have a battle to beat the Dockers and St Kilda. What is with our team have they lost the will to win. I thought we had a big chance in this game. But once again I was let down. Oh well I will just have to wait for next season. Can't see them winning to many more games this season. But I will still yell for the boys.

mmm 18 disposals (4th most behind Cuz, Fletcher and Wirra) 2 marks and 2 tackles. Given that the midfielders rack up the possesions normaly and Williams is not a midfielder then I'd say he was pretty busy. He may have been tired and made some mistakes but you can see there was effort.

Remove this Banner Ad

Eagles vs Geelong

Remove this Banner Ad

Back