Early Fevola trade analysis

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Think Vossy's ego got caught up in the media spotlight during trade week. For some reason he didn't address his list weaknesses i.e. slow, aging midfield. Their defense ain't great either. Bradshaw would work better than Fev with their midfield. Fev needs lots of midfield talent, and fast ball movement like he got with us. He's now having to fight for opportunities from sloppy delivery, and trying not to get in the road of Brown who's chronic hip injury has flared up again. Looks like a total disaster, just starting to unfold. Trading away all their draft picks on the eve of the compromised drafts was also breathtakingly stupid. Brisbane reminds me a lot of Freo 2007 after they went top-up crazy and then imploded.

:)

Agree.

I reckon u only want/need one gun fwd having two simply means they canabilise each other.

Fev looks 80% as good for them at best.

Agree.

I reckon u only want/need one gun fwd having two simply means they canabilise each other.

Fev looks 80% as good for them at best.

I dont think they canabilise each other, a combination of Brown clearly looking injured and a very average midfield (heaven help them when Black retires) make the combination a little lacklustre at the moment.

Brown's injury may heal, but the midfield certainly won't (not this year anyway).

Don't forget though in the first few rounds Brown was kicking 4-5 goals with Fev 3-4 per game, so they aint that bad.

P.S. Does Staker's hair make anyone want to replay the Barry Hall punch on him over and over? He looks like a girlyman.

Brisbane at their best is top four material, not GF.As we know injuries can unravel the best of sides and Brisbane have them at the moment. The fact that FEVOLa age and Browns injuries are nearly 30. What you will see as both of declining in the next two years. With an ageing midfield they will struggle big time, if they dont win a flag this year or next. We have much more upside due to our younger list.If only we could get our best side together for four or five games. Bower is a big loss, so is TEX. Thorton and Waite have to step up big time if we have any hope against STKILDA.
By the way the CATS are thrashing the much improved sydney by 10 goals! At full strength they are the best side by few goals!!

Credit to Fev for keeping his head up and working hard, even if he is not getting the same service he was at Carlton. The way the Lions work it out of defence though, really does leave room in their forward line, but he is sharing the spoils with Brown and Banfield and not getting as many opportunities.

Still has the ability to spark the side though, and still showing how good he is.

Credit to Fev for keeping his head up and working hard, even if he is not getting the same service he was at Carlton. The way the Lions work it out of defence though, really does leave room in their forward line, but he is sharing the spoils with Brown and Banfield and not getting as many opportunities.

Still has the ability to spark the side though, and still showing how good he is.

Yeah, it brings a tear to my eye. :)

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Fev looks a shadow of his former self at Brisbane. It's not just the delivery too. Obviously with his ego (and I mean that in a nice way) he has to be the superstar of the forward line. His game has clearly dropped off. His kicking in particular is pathetic, but also it looks like he isn't chasing as hard as he normally does. It's as if the Lions have lost themselves in the Fev aura and reputation and forgotten that Fev needs to be constantly challenged.. He's still a good player, don't get me wrong... But so far he's given nothing more than what Bradshaw would've delivered.

Fev looks a shadow of his former self at Brisbane. It's not just the delivery too. Obviously with his ego (and I mean that in a nice way) he has to be the superstar of the forward line. His game has clearly dropped off. His kicking in particular is pathetic, but also it looks like he isn't chasing as hard as he normally does. It's as if the Lions have lost themselves in the Fev aura and reputation and forgotten that Fev needs to be constantly challenged.. He's still a good player, don't get me wrong... But so far he's given nothing more than what Bradshaw would've delivered.

What I like to hear... and the guys from Brisvegas will be spewing that they let Hendo go :)

Ohh well... **** em

Lets win tomorrow and put the lions out of the 8 :D

Spot on.
Fev never really played for the team or for team glory, but was always at his best when the crowd were right behind him.
Having to not only share his forward line, but play second fiddle to Brown, but also share the "superstar" tag with Brown and Black.........and lets face it, the delivery he is getting isn't as good as it was, not surprising to see him off the boil.

I'd also suggest that (and I said this at the time of the trade) Fev needed a lot of footy delivered to him in order to kick his 99 and 80-odd goals, and that in a dual forward structure he just isn't efficient enough to kick 80-plus goals.

With Drummond and Patful injured now, along with Merrit, wouldn't Vossy love to have Henderson and Bradshaw rather than Fev?;)

If the Blues win tonight we replace the Lions in the 8. :thumbsu:

Obviously all forwards need good midfield delivery, but the way Fev plays, he needs much better delivery than other forwards do. His strength was his fast leading into space, more than pack marking, and fighting it out for the contested ball. Brown is great at the latter, Fev best at the former. If a midfield doesn't have the talent to hit Fev lace-out consistently, they'll get killed on the rebound. Plus he's never going to provide a strong contest if the ball is bombed to a pack when he's outnumbered. The Lions midfield is slow, aging and their delivery shaky at best. Brown and Bradshaw had adapted over the years by becoming awesome pack marks, even when outnumbered. Fev never had that capability. This is why Bradshaw is a much better match for their list's limitations.

:)

What I like to hear... and the guys from Brisvegas will be spewing that they let Hendo go :)

Ohh well... **** em

Lets win tomorrow and put the lions out of the 8 :D

As much as Henderson has some talent, l would doubt the Lions would be too depressed on the decision thus far to trade Hendo, it is probably more likely that they would be more upset as to how they handled the Bradshaw situation as he was a proven quality player who was treated poorly and would still be very useful in their line up down back or up forward.

Had a thought recently with the form of Josh Kennedy at West Coast recently. Would Carlton have been better off in hindsight possibly trading Fev for Judd- straight swap and keeping Kennedy and Pick 3? We may have struggled more in 2008/2009 but the way the players up forward now (Setantas little helpers especially, Setanta himself and Waite) are playing we would probably be even further advanced with Kennedy and Masten in the side...

Thoughts???

Had a thought recently with the form of Josh Kennedy at West Coast recently. Would Carlton have been better off in hindsight possibly trading Fev for Judd- straight swap and keeping Kennedy and Pick 3? We may have struggled more in 2008/2009 but the way the players up forward now (Setantas little helpers especially, Setanta himself and Waite) are playing we would probably be even further advanced with Kennedy and Masten in the side...

Thoughts???

No, happy with what we got. While Kennedy still on our list would be nice we don't need him and IMO Masten has grossly underperformed to date.

Agree with the Masten assessment, not convinced he is a superstar of any sort/ But we lost Fev anyway so if we had of traded him earlier in essence we would have Kennedy instead of Henderson , pick 3 from the the 2008 draft and we would of kept pick 11 from last years draft if we had a mid from the 2008 pick 3 that would of stopped the Mclean trade??

Leaving Hendo out of the trade for the moment, right now I would prefer Fev and his issues for Lucas and the resultant forward line restructure hands down. Hendo is now just a bonus if he comes good.

Agree with the Masten assessment, not convinced he is a superstar of any sort/ But we lost Fev anyway so if we had of traded him earlier in essence we would have Kennedy instead of Henderson , pick 3 from the the 2008 draft and we would of kept pick 11 from last years draft if we had a mid from the 2008 pick 3 that would of stopped the Mclean trade??

Probably not worth too much thought as there are too many variables in your hypothetical. Who would we have picked at 3 and 11? Were the Blues prepared to trade Fev at that stage? Would WC have taken him anyway given the shit had hit the fan there and they certainly didn't need another recalcitrant on their books.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back