Economic downturn will sink boot in to clubs

Remove this Banner Ad

Unfortunately my club will be hit hard.

True, but fortunately the Swans are strategically more important to the league than most clubs. As long as the competition is a national one, they will never be allowed to fail.

In this sense, they are essentially safeguarded from any financial woes.

True, but fortunately the Swans are strategically more important to the league than most clubs. As long as the competition is a national one, they will never be allowed to fail.

Not quite.

There needs to be a Sydney club. It doesn't necessairly have to be the Swans

Not quite.

There needs to be a Sydney club. It doesn't necessairly have to be the Swans

I guess.

But why would they replace the existing club that already has an identity, infrastructure, etc, etc with a new club and start afresh? It would be easier to prop up the existing club than go through the heartache of starting again.

But why would they replace the existing club that already has an identity, infrastructure, etc, etc with a new club and start afresh? It would be easier to prop up the existing club than go through the heartache of starting again.

Quite simply they wouldn't.

The AFL would replace the entire Sydney front office (twice) before even considering walking away from them.

True..right now there is a real concern that the AFL's long term plans may be in jeapardy.
ALL clubs are now dependent upon how the game goes in NSW and QLD...whilst it can exist reasonably comfy without the two populous states it cannot exist in its current glossy format. The money simply will not be available and we run the risk of going backwards in time 20 yrs...which the AFL wont allow coz it goes against the charter of a national comp.

What is likely is that there will be an increased call to review the new WS club..possibly until they see how the GC gets going coz it'd be silly to throw good money after bad during tuff times.

Good chance for the future of the game that both Sydney and Brisbane markets will need to be defended to hold any perceived gains to date..coz any failure to back it up will be seen as failure. Kiss goodbye to 780m at the next renewal unless they hold gains of the last 10yrs.

Whilst some defence will be required for NSW/QLD markets..try to imagine the situation Rugger and Rugby League must be in.

Whilst the AFL is more dependent on viewing numbers the ARL is likely to suffer much more with drops in disposable income. Cant imagine the RL clubs being linked so heavily with the gambling dollar is a comfy situation to be in.

No point anyone getting doomsday thoughts for expansion plans tho. The AFL might even take a strategic view that its actually a time to attack even more into NSW/QLD to take advantage of strength in relation to other codes...tho any business brain might think it unwise.

Guessing the AFL will simply be taking a wait and see approach with no decisions needing to be made yet on major plans.

I guess.

The existing club has died at least twice in Sydney. Its now losing members and ratings again, this after a substantial period of success, and god knows how much assistance.

Maybe propping the existing Eastern Suburbs based Swans brand is a losing proposition.

Instead of having a new West Sydney money pit, and continuing the existing Swans money pit, why not dream up a more inclusive brand that all of Sydney - if not NSW - can glom onto.

It could play games at the SCG and Homebush and Canberra.

Let's face it, the Swans brand has been there for getting onto 30 years and is still an intensive care patient.

Swans fans always tell me that they favour a free market (despite us having more members than they do ...) so I say the market has spoken: the Swans expansion brand has failed.

Time for something new, and better.

ALL clubs are now dependent upon how the game goes in NSW and QLD...whilst it can exist reasonably comfy without the two populous states it cannot exist in its current glossy format.

Pffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffft.

Victoria is more populous than QLD and still attracting migrants. NSW is an economic basketcase.

Yes, we'll teams there to satisfy the limited demand in those states, but the heartland, the bread and butter, is Vic. That's where the players come from, that's where the real bucks are. WA and SA are vitally important too. Don't get me wrong. They are vital. NSW and QLD are sideshows.

The Age of Debt and the Age of Expansion in our wider society is over for the forseaable future.

To maintain even the most recent TV rights deal, the AFL needs 16 clubs. PRESUMING the GC goes ahead, which I suspect it will, the AFL needs one club to die, merge etc. I'd give you the evidence based tip and tell you t won't be North.

I can see a Melb based club giving up the ghost and acceptinbg the kind of merger deal we knocked back last year to go to the GC. But that means the GC is reliant on a Melb club, not vice versa.

The money simply will not be available and we run the risk of going backwards in time 20 yrs...which the AFL wont allow coz it goes against the charter of a national comp.

Why, because a bankrupt rugby league, or A-League that's seeing its attendances fall will take over?

No, welcome to the continent wide surbanism mate. That's what's gunna happen.

What is likely is that there will be an increased call to review the new WS club..possibly until they see how the GC gets going coz it'd be silly to throw good money after bad during tuff times.

Agreed.

Good chance for the future of the game that both Sydney and Brisbane markets will need to be defended to hold any perceived gains to date..coz any failure to back it up will be seen as failure. Kiss goodbye to 780m at the next renewal unless they hold gains of the last 10yrs.

How long have we been defending those markets for? Since they started.

And the notion of kissing gains goodbye is soooooooooooooooo 2007.

Welcome to Stalingrad mate. We defend what we have here, and if the AFL has to spend 1 mil a year on my club ... more on yours and Footscray and Melbourne etc ... to maintain the bigger pot, that's what'll happen.

The existing club has died at least twice in Sydney. Its now losing members and ratings again, this after a substantial period of success, and god knows how much assistance.

Maybe propping the existing Eastern Suburbs based Swans brand is a losing proposition.

Instead of having a new West Sydney money pit, and continuing the existing Swans money pit, why not dream up a more inclusive brand that all of Sydney - if not NSW - can glom onto.

It could play games at the SCG and Homebush and Canberra.

Let's face it, the Swans brand has been there for getting onto 30 years and is still an intensive care patient.

Swans fans always tell me that they favour a free market (despite us having more members than they do ...) so I say the market has spoken: the Swans expansion brand has failed.

Time for something new, and better.

Hey dont bother trying some amateurish attempt to align Sydney or even Brissy as a club with the problems North are going to face out of any economic downturn. Its chalk and cheese.

There's no problem with Sydney...the club actually provides a hellova lot more revenue to the AFL and hence ALL clubs than North could even dream about...any assistance the AFL provides is actually an investment knowing how much of the 780mill it provides. The AFL could sink 100mill into the Swans and still be in front...not that they will need it anyway.

I think we all know that clubs like North are in a far far worse situation and are extremely vulnerable and sensitive to the impending economic downturn.

Clubs like North face an entirely new and much more difficult challenge if they want to survive. It should remain important to North fans that the Swans and other "interstate" clubs continue to help prop it up thru AFL gifts.

Any "interstate" club that needs a few bucks over the next cpl of years will have twice what they need thrown at them...for good reason...they bring in the big $.

North's breaking of the Friday night market, and developing it into the most sought after slot has given much more and still will, to the AFL than a Sydney (falling) ratings market that struggles to beat the Iron Chef ever will.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

North's breaking of the Friday night market, and developing it into the most sought after slot has given much more and still will, to the AFL than a Sydney (falling) ratings market that struggles to beat the Iron Chef ever will.

Yeah, because the league would never have thought of playing games on Friday nights if the Roos hadn't suggested it

Yep, we wanted it. We played it all through the tough early years. Made it our own.

We stuck with it, did the hard yards, and made it what it is.
When Essendon moved to the MCG they are on record saying they didn't want any Friday night games.

Fast forward a few years of development by North, and they were crying out for them.

The Sydney market represents potential. The market if almost saturated in Vic, SA & WA. Sydney is potential growth. As it stands though it add bugger all to the coffers. No one pays for TV in the Sydney market. If anything it’s a burden due to scheduling clashes. If Sydney are going well and playing Collingwood or Essendon they can make a lot of money from a match – particularly if there is some needle introduced into the equation but otherwise the matches struggle on average.

Sydney began as a way to get live Sunday footy into Melbourne lounge rooms. It grew to the pot at the end of the rainbow with the expansion of the VFL. Has anyone ever got the gold out of that pot though?

There is a hell of a lot more chance for Sydney in NSW than Strom in Melbourne but the economic downturn, if it continues to deepen, will have a very significant impact on the assistance required to keep the Swans competitive. This will see an abrupt end to the arguments between the club and the AFL.

In a more general sense, the economic downturn will mean clubs have to be a bit more careful. A few clubs will really find it tough. Melbourne who have nothing to sell and a shrinking supporter base are in the worst position by a margin. The real problem will come if the next TV deal is negotiated in the midst of a prolonged downturn. $1.2b+ will look more like $750m and the networks will own the schedule and a lot more.

Re: Economic downturn will sink book in to clubs

But will anyone go? It's all well and good to say a smaller stadium is required, but history shows that Princes Park is not a venue that people (other than Carlton supporters) will go to. If no one turns up, you are still going to lose money wherever you play.

I'm a Bulldogs supporter and I always thought Princes Park was a great ground to go and watch the footy. Loved it there.

I'm a Bulldogs supporter and I always thought Princes Park was a great ground to go and watch the footy. Loved it there.

The main problem with PP is the lack of a direct rail link. Yeah, you can get an Upfield train and walk for 15/20 mins, but that line is crap.

But agreed, it could be a good venue again.

The main problem with PP is the lack of a direct rail link. Yeah, you can get an Upfield train and walk for 15/20 mins, but that line is crap.

The main problem with PP was the same as Docklands...Big stands needing to be paid off, and as a result unless you packed the place out, you lost money playing there. Remember, clubs left PP for Docklands because they figured they'd make more money there.

Actually it was 'worse'...Because any thoughts that you were being gouged hurt more because the money was going to another club.

The main problem with PP was the same as Docklands...Big stands needing to be paid off, and as a result unless you packed the place out, you lost money playing there. Remember, clubs left PP for Docklands because they figured they'd make more money there.

Actually it was 'worse'...Because any thoughts that you were being gouged hurt more because the money was going to another club.

All very true. I maybe could have made myself more clear. I was talking about PP 's strategic position, in the sense that even if the AFL did get a new deal there, a clean stadium etc, it still has structural issues.

I'd go there though.

All very true. I maybe could have made myself more clear. I was talking about PP 's strategic position, in the sense that even if the AFL did get a new deal there, a clean stadium etc, it still has structural issues.

I'd go there though.

I think for that to happen, the ground would need to be transferred from Calrton to a 'neutral' owner, and the current redevelopment changed.

I'd go there too ( I live close enough to walk ), although I suspect Richmond wouldn't play there much as they get too big a crowd.

The proposed Footscray-Caulfield rail tunnel would go pretty close though, as it's supposed to stop at the University.

The Sydney market represents potential. The market if almost saturated in Vic, SA & WA. Sydney is potential growth. As it stands though it add bugger all to the coffers. No one pays for TV in the Sydney market. If anything it’s a burden due to scheduling clashes.

Care to explain this uninformed naive stupidity ?...or did u just make it up as u went along ?

Got any idea what % the Pies contributed top the 780mil compared to say Sydney and Brisbane ? Take a wild guess.

You need an education on how the game works these days and where the money comes from.

Remove this Banner Ad

Economic downturn will sink boot in to clubs

Remove this Banner Ad

Back