Play Nice Eddie McGuire comments on holding Caro Wilson underwater

Remove this Banner Ad

is there any chance you are going to discuss this without acting like a petulant child?

If you think there is a double standard here, you are focusing on parts of the conversation to suit your own monologue.
There is clearly a double standard here, many are even open about there being one by simple saying "you're a white male and white males have it easy so don't complain".

Men and women grow up in the same society and culture, the fact men are more violent is more biological than anyone else, not sure what else can be done about it?

And no I'm not, men's rights are perfectly fine as is, as are women's fwiw.
I don't agree that male violence is a biological phenomenon, if it was we would have seen a steady rate of violence over the centuries. But the fact is, as we've become more modern and civilised rates of crime and violence have dropped which suggests it's very much a cultural issue. It's not solved yet and it seems to me that you're just trying to muddy the waters by focusing on who should be classified as the victims rather than the gender that makes up the vast majority of perpetrators.

Reading Wilson's response really reaffirms what this is all about in my opinion.

You have a somewhat lone voice speaking out against the establishment, and that establishment using bullying tactics to try and silence or discredit her. She's not alone, anyone who does this sort of thing in any field cops similar treatment.

Eddie doesn't take criticism very well at all and often exhibits classic bullying behavior. I think he has been great for football but maybe it is time for him to fade away. We've all had enough.

Of course because every single white male has the perfect life
It's not about having a perfect life or not. It's about whether your sex, your lifestyle or the colour of your skin causes you to be discriminated against.

That's it.

The whole (PC) thing is just about creating a level playing field so everyone can have the best life possible. I have never understood why that is such a major issue.

There is clearly a double standard here, many are even open about there being one by simple saying "you're a white male and white males have it easy so don't complain".
There really isn't.
The myth that white men have it easy is naive. Maybe a lot do. I certainly don't complain about my lot in life, despite working for it.
But that doesn't excuse anyone from picking me out as a target for inappropriate comments.

It doesn't matter who this was about.
The fact Caro is a woman is besides the point. It may be an underlying factor, but I'm not privy to the inside info on Caro and Ed's relationship.

This was simple bullying.
It was a group of people who didn't like Caro having a crack about holding her under water.
Do i believe they'd do it? No
Does it set a bad example for the rest of the community? Yes it does.
It deserves a firm rebuke. I bet Ed wouldn't see this as harmless fun if one of his kids was on the end of this sort of treatment at school.

Not one that's in common usage. At least not when the topic involves the person being in an actual body of water at the time.

She wasn't in an actual body of water at the time, and no one was literally threatening to drown her.

"The vast majority of dangerous, abusive and violent behavior that occurs in the privacy of people's homes is committed by men against women. The most recent information on violence in Australia comes from the Australian Bureau of Statistics, Personal Safety Survey (national survey of 16,400 adults in Australian aged 18 years and over) conducted in 2005. The first issue of this survey was conducted in 1996. The 2005 survey found:"

Ummm Caro isn't an intimate partner of Eddie.

So why are you quoting a big chunk of text that doesn't relate to them?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I don't agree that male violence is a biological phenomenon, if it was we would have seen a steady rate of violence over the centuries. But the fact is, as we've become more modern and civilised rates of crime and violence have dropped which suggests it's very much a cultural issue.

It's solution is definitely cultural but i think you are wrong about the rest. One only has to look at younger humans (3 to 5 year olds), who have had the least time for culture to take effect, to see the relationship between testosterone and aggression.

In isolation it's sad, but it's a response to being under siege.

The monarchy, the church, men... targets of New Age Australia.
Under siege??
Are you serious.

The whole world is changing its not just the treasured institutions of the white Australian male.

Imagine the change that the aboriginal community faced 200 years ago. Imagine the change Africans faced when the English locked them on boats as slaves. Imagine what millions of children around the world are facing as they work in sweatshops all day so we get cheap fashion. Imagine what women went through when they were legally considered to be the property of their white husbands.

Not sure you can really call Australian life 'unde siege'. Unless you are being tongue in cheek??

I've never met a stooge. Actually I'm not even sure what it is. :eek:

However I disagree re Trump. He is going to be the republican nominee and will possibly have his hands on the nuclear levers by January.

Surely that makes him a 'somebody'?

Clinton is the biggest warmonger of all the US presidential candidates.

If you're using US politicians as examples of loons why not use her?

My biggest disappointment is controversy/negativity being loosely associated with the Big Freeze.

Eddie is a petulant dickhead. Always has been and always will be.

There's a bit of sexism to it (the black widow thing is unnecessary) but the reality is he just doesn't like Caro. If he'd made the same comments about Andrew Pridham or Richard Colless or any of the countless others he's had an axe to grind with over the years this wouldn't be a story.

I don't really like Caro either but she's not big on playing the woman card. Any criticism of her inevitably attracts an element needing to make it about sex.

My biggest disappointment is controversy/negativity being loosely associated with the Big Freeze.

Eddie is a petulant dickhead. Always has been and always will be.

There's a bit of sexism to it (the black widow thing is unnecessary) but the reality is he just doesn't like Caro. If he'd made the same comments about Andrew Pridham or Richard Colless or any of the countless others he's had an axe to grind with over the years this wouldn't be a story.

I don't really like Caro either but she's not big on playing the woman card. Any criticism of her inevitably attracts an element needing to make it about sex.

What about then Neale joked about holding Eddie under the water?

It was a funny joke on Neale's behalf I thought.

So you're admitting you think white males can't be victims of anything because of the colour of their skin? You're both racist and sexist then.
Lol.
As a white male I don't feel like a victim. I don't get discriminated against and I don't fear violence. Life is actually pretty awesome.

Do you feel like a victim? If so, maybe that's where you need to put your focus.

I don't agree that male violence is a biological phenomenon, if it was we would have seen a steady rate of violence over the centuries. But the fact is, as we've become more modern and civilised rates of crime and violence have dropped which suggests it's very much a cultural issue. It's not solved yet and it seems to me that you're just trying to muddy the waters by focusing on who should be classified as the victims rather than the gender that makes up the vast majority of perpetrators.
But how does our culture contribute to violence against women? Our culture glorifies violence yes but not at women, hitting a woman is just about the worst thing you can do.

Remove this Banner Ad

Play Nice Eddie McGuire comments on holding Caro Wilson underwater

Remove this Banner Ad

Back