EDFL Premier Division

Remove this Banner Ad

Thanks for the info. I don't know much about the brother

His brother is of a similar build, back pocket/half back/half forward type, but not as many tricks or explosive as Patty. More of a defensive type player. Not real sure of Matts background but think his from the NFL. I'm not sure if his staying or going to be honest, but they are pretty close and he did come over when Patty joined so guess he will go with him. Seemed like a nice guy as was well liked.

Keilor may be hard pressed to retain on baller Eamonn Ogden for 2016. His high finish in the league medal hasn't gone unnoticed with at least 2 EDFL clubs and Shepp United in the GVFL interested in his services. Won't stay at Coburg next year so options are open.

Keilor may be hard pressed to retain on baller Eamonn Ogden for 2016. His high finish in the league medal hasn't gone unnoticed with at least 2 EDFL clubs and Shepp United in the GVFL interested in his services. Won't stay at Coburg next year so options are open.

He wanted to remain at Coburg.

Was sacked/not recontracted/released (whichever word you prefer) by Coburg though.

Surely now it's time for the football Victoria to show some intelligence and recognise the strength and demographics of our league. The EDFL should be allowed higher points

Is the points system good for promoting junior talent in the area? From what I'm hearing at some clubs with strong juniors, is that some juniors have not been guaranteed a spot in round 1, but are finding it hard to move clubs due to they are allocated certain points under this system. I understand it's a great idea to retain club juniors, but the purpose is to give them opportunities to play senior footy. Any thoughts!!

Clubs who invest should benefit on building strong junior program's. It is a cop out for other clubs, invest part of your total budget into your juniors. It is no coincidence the best teams have strong junior program's, but rewind history for when them clubs became successful & what they did at the time with their juniors.

A kid may need to bide his time, but the best thing is it may hold some & only chance of loyalty in footy. For mine I think a club like Marby Park have learn't from the mistakes of their success & have developed a junior program for the future.

QOUTE: Hawthorn President - any decision we make, we have a 5 year Mantra, meaning anything we do, what does that mean for us in five years. Personally love it for a responsible decision making tool.

Surely now it's time for the football Victoria to show some intelligence and recognise the strength and demographics of our league. The EDFL should be allowed higher points

Sorry to burst your bubble turbo but the points system needs to be the same across all 5 suburban leagues that pay plyers for the system to work as its design is to even out the competitions, if one leagues has more points per team that would lead to a gross inequity and a unworkable system .Don't forget the EDFL is currently 3rd or 4th on the league tables as per the championships held mid year I think it runs VAFA ,NFL ,EFL EDFL,WRFL and last is SFL. I am not sure the VAFA is running with the points system as they supposedly don't pay players and as such are not incurring huge player payment bills which is killing the game

Finally it looks like the Edfl will have to implement a 50 points per team from next year. Afl Victoria just released a statement saying all. Metro leagues must be 50 points and need to apply to the advisory board if teams need to go above that.
Bravo AFL Victoria for taking a stance

Take away abers and possibly greenvale over the last few years…the edfl has a long way to reach the VAFA, EFL and GFL sorry pal

better than WRFL but on par with NFL at best

good to see AFL VIC laying down the law to all leagues

Take away abers and possibly greenvale over the last few years…the edfl has a long way to reach the VAFA, EFL and GFL sorry pal

The argument that VAFA, EFL or GFL is far superior to EDFL in terms of talent is simply a joke. Just because you say it doesn't make it true. The idea that VAFA clubs these days are better than the best EDFL, EFL or GFL clubs is also now laughable.

Abers, Greenvale, Keilor, Strathmore, Pacco, Avondale have all put hugely talented teams on park in recent years. All would be competitive against any local team.

And please don't talk about the combined competition. The best measure of a competition is to play all the premiers off against one another for a 10k prize so teams actually commit.

St Bernards v Abers...discuss

The argument that VAFA, EFL or GFL is far superior to EDFL in terms of talent is simply a joke. Just because you say it doesn't make it true. The idea that VAFA clubs these days are better than the best EDFL, EFL or GFL clubs is also now laughable.

Abers, Greenvale, Keilor, Strathmore, Pacco, Avondale have all put hugely talented teams on park in recent years. All would be competitive against any local team.

And please don't talk about the combined competition. The best measure of a competition is to play all the premiers off against one another for a 10k prize so teams actually commit.

Abers by 31 points, easing up.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Hey Deefer I see your back to your old tricks!!
We need the extra $$ for Brian Lake, Stevie J and hearing big Fev will be playing a couple of games at Raeburn in the early rounds. Lake & Stevie J playing for 500 each, but Fev on the big $$ but the functions are sold out.. Bargain gets which will be announced in the coming days, but you heard it first.. Haha..

Selling the pacco soul to get fev for a couple of weeks? Are you guys desperate down there?

I have no problem with a points system but being rated on last 3 years of your footy is ridiculous and some idiot sitting in an office as decided this.
1- So if your played 5 VFL games in the last 3 years you are rated at 5 points. Cmon get real. Should be minimum 20 games.
This ruling is really hurting younger type players being rated as high as the better VFL players just because they have played as low as 5 games in 3 years.
These younger players have tried to play the best footy they can but when they go back to local they are crucified by this system.

2-Maybe a player was going well in 2013 but the last 2 years has really struggled bye to age, injuries, form, work commitments etc. well who cares as they are rated back to 2013. Oh another stupid decision. Should be over last 2 years. So it's not helping older type players at the end of the careers.
Seriously the person that come up with this a deadset idiot who has no idea of footy. I'm sick of these people ruining things.
It's just one example. I'm not against a points system but the player ratings are a joke.

Champ your trying to say who the best team is in local…completely different thing. Abers would beat just about anyone, maybe even a VFL team

In your theory WRFL is the best league cause Deer Park plays in it? No

Every competition has good teams in it, its about the depth in these competitions to which makes it a good league.

You look at the VAFA, every team is a chance of beating anyone…You look at the EDFL, the four bottom teams lose by 100 points every weak, with the mid-tier teams not even getting close to the top 2-3…makings of a shocking league

the bottom 4 of Northern, Airport West, Marby and West Coburg would not come close to the bottom teams this year in the VAFA of Old Xavs, Scotch, Collegian etc.

then you go to B-Grade VAFA and EDFL B-Grade and well i don't even need to tell you the difference in quality here...

Im not trying to dampen the EDFL as i do like it, have connections to 2 teams aswell as the VAFA. But the sooner the EDFL clubs wake up to the average hack is demanding $300 a game well then its not changing soon, you've all been taking a ride by these players the last 5-10 years

#standbyhird

I have no problem with a points system but being rated on last 3 years of your footy is ridiculous and some idiot sitting in an office as decided this.
1- So if your played 5 VFL games in the last 3 years you are rated at 5 points. Cmon get real. Should be minimum 20 games.
This ruling is really hurting younger type players being rated as high as the better VFL players just because they have played as low as 5 games in 3 years.
These younger players have tried to play the best footy they can but when they go back to local they are crucified by this system.

It's actually 5 games in the current or any of the previous 3 years - in any one season. Not a total of 5 games over 3 years.

The days of a group of VFL mates going to one club are gone, even if they haven't even made it in that competition. I agree with you Turbo there is some issues with it in it's infancy.

It's actually 5 games in the current or any of the previous 3 years - in any one season. Not a total of 5 games over 3 years.

The days of a group of VFL mates going to one club are gone, even if they haven't even made it in that competition. I agree with you Turbo there is some issues with it in it's infancy.

Hey Bobby, appreciate your reply mate. You could be correct as I need to read the document again, but this is what I found from afl vic just the other day.

Five points: Players who have played at least five VFL, SANFL or WAFL state league matches over the past three years and are not a “home player.

If I'm correct that's an absolute joke. A hell of a lot of local players are better than a VFL player that has managed 5 senior games yet they are rated 3 compared to 5. Should be at least 20 games over 3 years to be rated a 5.
Some tosser wearing a suit & tie and paid over 150k making decisions. Probably never watched a VFL, SANFL, WAFL or local game but sits in a corporate box each weekend.

Straight from the official document Turbo. The examples do help.

5.3.2. Category 5 – State League Tier One – 5 Points

Player who has played a minimum 5 senior games of VFL, WAFL, or SANFL in the current Season or any of the previous three (3) seasons.
For example a player would not qualify in this category for the 2016 Season if that player has played as follows in the previous three (3) Seasons:

Season 2015 – 4 games
Season 2014 – 3 games
Season 2013 – 2 games

However, a player would qualify in this category for the 2016 Season if that player had played as follows in the previous three (3) Seasons:

Season 2015 – 0 games
Season 2014 – 6 games
Season 2013 – 2 games; or

Season 2015 – 5 games
Season 2014 – 0 games
Season 2013 – 0 games.

NOTE: where a Category refers to "a minimum of 5 games in any of the previous 3 Seasons", the above calculation example will apply.

My biggest concern is the determination as to who is a MOU - that is affiliated junior club. This is most likely a unique issue for clubs that do not have junior clubs & draw from numerous junior clubs. These are extremely important for the 1 pointers.

Straight from the official document Turbo. The examples do help.

5.3.2. Category 5 – State League Tier One – 5 Points

Player who has played a minimum 5 senior games of VFL, WAFL, or SANFL in the current Season or any of the previous three (3) seasons.
For example a player would not qualify in this category for the 2016 Season if that player has played as follows in the previous three (3) Seasons:

Season 2015 – 4 games
Season 2014 – 3 games
Season 2013 – 2 games

However, a player would qualify in this category for the 2016 Season if that player had played as follows in the previous three (3) Seasons:

Season 2015 – 0 games
Season 2014 – 6 games
Season 2013 – 2 games; or

Season 2015 – 5 games
Season 2014 – 0 games
Season 2013 – 0 games.

NOTE: where a Category refers to "a minimum of 5 games in any of the previous 3 Seasons", the above calculation example will apply.

My biggest concern is the determination as to who is a MOU - that is affiliated junior club. This is most likely a unique issue for clubs that do not have junior clubs & draw from numerous junior clubs. These are extremely important for the 1 pointers.

Cheers Bobby. Clears it up for me mate, but still a silly rating don't you agree as per the last example if a player plays 5 games in 2013 and none in 2014, 2015 his rated as 5 points which in a total of 50 is pretty significant.
Example: So a 23 yr old having played only 5 VFL games in 2013 is rated 1 less than a player just out of AFL. "Surely they are kidding"

They also haven't considered
-players from junior clubs that have no senior affiliated club. They have no "home" club.
-also I think older players, say over 30 or 32 should be rated lower to encourage players to stay in footy.

Anyway good chatting to you mate, you seem very knowledgeable on the game.

It's signed sealed!! 100% over the line Douttas announced it on there Facebook page today!!

Douttas chasing some more big named players from another league. However having major issues with keeping under 50points I hear. Guessing they will have issues as last year recruited heavy to go up and these players incur high points.
Once again the points allocated to leagues with promotion/relegation will find it a lot harder as you need to recruit to go up and then your stuck with high points and can't recruit to many..

Remove this Banner Ad

EDFL Premier Division

Remove this Banner Ad

Back