Recruiting EFC Trade/Draft Talk II with F/A rules in OP - Billings for a fourth rounder the latest rumour

What do we do with the #1 pick?

• Use it

Votes: 73 47.4%
  • Trade it for multiple top 10 picks

Votes: 65 42.2%
  • Trade it for players

Votes: 3 1.9%
  • Trade it for players and first round picks

Votes: 13 8.4%

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hulett is a leading forward. Yeah?
Kicked 3 iirc against us and came away impressed. Was quite physical for a 19 year old key position forward.

Would hibberd for your 3rd + Hullett work?

If we can trade pick 1 into (Gold Coast suns) pick 4 & 8 and get a developing tall via tRade we could land two of a plethora of mids that seem increasingly likely to be taken in the draFt. The only real tall that looks like a top end prospect is Todd Marshall.
That trade would probably be close but it was Melbournes strategy last year to strengthen our Key forward and ruck area, I'd doubt theyd be backing away a year later especially after he's performing above expectations, well outsiders expectations anyway.

I'd doubt Melbourne would trade anyone that didn't request a trade, our VFL side is performing well on top with quite a few players playing very well every week but aren't getting games, I'm sure a few of them will seek more oppurtunity else where and they'd be plsyers involved in trade scenarios, the key Forwards and rucks are developing and I wouldn't think we'd entertain trading them.

Liam Mcbean from Richmond who has performed well at VFL the last few years (won the goal kicking tally last year?) has asked his management to explore his options this coming off season, he'd be one if look at if I was Essendon, Daniher and him both 200cm+ would be a handful for any side to match up on.

Last edited:
That trade would probably be close but it was Melbournes strategy last year to get these strengthen our Key forward and ruck area, I'd doubt theyd be backing away a year later especially after he's performing above expectations, well outsiders expectations anyway.

I'd doubt Melbourne would trade anyone that didn't request a trade, our VFL side is performing well on top with quite a few players playing very well every week but aren't getting games, I'm sure a few of them will seek more oppurtunity else where and they'd be plsyers involved in trade scenarios, the key Forwards and rucks are developing and I wouldn't think we'd entertain trading them.

Liam Mcbean from Richmond who has performed well at VFL the last few years (won the goal kicking tally last year?) has asked his management to explore his options this coming off season, he'd be one if look at if I was Essendon, Daniher and him both 200cm+ would be a handful for any side to match up on.
We wouldn't want two beanpoles in one forwardline though, Daniher gets forced out of contests because of his size enough as it is.

I saw Hibberd last night at Crown ...I kid you not, he was walking out of the place and was in a suit as though he'd just been in a meeting or formal party, But it was 3.30 in the arvo...In his hand he had an inside out Melbourne football club jumper....My jaw hit the ground, I was going to get a photo but he was gone in a flash...Geez he's a massive unit..Hope he stays but didn't like or quite understand what I saw...:eek:
If that is the case Melbourne are in a lot of trouble. Didn't think they could talk to contracted players directly.

I saw Hibberd last night at Crown ...I kid you not, he was walking out of the place and was in a suit as though he'd just been in a meeting or formal party, But it was 3.30 in the arvo...In his hand he had an inside out Melbourne football club jumper....My jaw hit the ground, I was going to get a photo but he was gone in a flash...Geez he's a massive unit..Hope he stays but didn't like or quite understand what I saw...:eek:

Not saying this didn't happen, but I'm just generally wondering why they would give him a Melbourne jumper now? Like what use is it when the deal can't be announced until what, trade week or something?

That trade would probably be close but it was Melbournes strategy last year to strengthen our Key forward and ruck area, I'd doubt theyd be backing away a year later especially after he's performing above expectations, well outsiders expectations anyway.

With a surplus of well performing tall forwards, surely outlaying one down the order to bolster a best 22 position would be seen as a win - win for both parties?

Not interested in McBean. The Tigers continually go to Griffiths/Vickery alongside Jack Riewoldt despite McBean continually kicking goals in the reserves.

With a surplus of well performing tall forwards, surely outlaying one down the order to bolster a best 22 position would be seen as a win - win for both parties?

Not interested in McBean. The Tigers continually go to Griffiths/Vickery alongside Jack Riewoldt despite McBean continually kicking goals in the reserves.
We wouldn't of drafted them only a year ago if we think they are surplus to us. Key Forwards are hard to get and take time to develop and we would of had a plan for them to step up after Dawes and Cam Pederson are moved on which is a high possibility this year as both are out of contract.

Melbourne won't be trading our future key forwards.

If that is the case Melbourne are in a lot of trouble. Didn't think they could talk to contracted players directly.
It's kind of a grey area, for mine it's completely disrespectful to the players current club to even meet with the player and talk about a potential move during the middle of the season (especially if that player is contracted beyond the current season). But from what I can gather as far as the AFL is concerned, clubs can are permitted to approach players mid-season but they are not allowed to put a contract in front of them until the off-season.

This is bullshit for mine, as realistically if I were a club representative approaching another clubs player what's stopping me from giving "ballpark" figures for what the contract might be (i.e. $250-500k range per year for something like 3 - 5 years) to the player/players management? Strictly speaking that's not a formal offer and I would've assumedly, done the usual "selling the club" spiel and explaining what role the club saw for the player within the team before hand (as a result of which there may have already been a "handshake agreement" for the player to move at seasons end).

We wouldn't of drafted them only a year ago if we think they are surplus to us. Key Forwards are hard to get and take time to develop and we would of had a plan for them to step up after Dawes and Cam Pederson are moved on which is a high possibility this year as both are out of contract.

Melbourne won't be trading our future key forwards.
They wouldn't have known Hibbo would become available.

We don't need flankers, we need high quality inside midfielders and your not giving up Oliver, Trengove anytime soon so a surplus to your needs is the KPF's you have..

You have done extremely well to develop five (Hogan, Weideman, King, King, Hullet) developing key forwards. If we could agree to one of them + a pick, it could be a win:win for all parties involved.

Wtf? Serious? Faaark

It's kind of a grey area, for mine it's completely disrespectful to the players current club to even meet with the player and talk about a potential move during the middle of the season (especially if that player is contracted beyond the current season). But from what I can gather as far as the AFL is concerned, clubs can are permitted to approach players mid-season but they are not allowed to put a contract in front of them until the off-season.

This is bullshit for mine, as realistically if I were a club representative approaching another clubs player what's stopping me from giving "ballpark" figures for what the contract might be (i.e. $250-500k range per year for something like 3 - 5 years) to the player/players management? Strictly speaking that's not a formal offer and I would've assumedly, done the usual "selling the club" spiel and explaining what role the club saw for the player within the team before hand (as a result of which there may have already been a "handshake agreement" for the player to move at seasons end).
It might be time we stopped playing pretend and just call things as they are like the NRL. If a player is moving clubs then let it be known. Teams don't start their planning in October, so of course it is going to happen.

And as for clubs doing the right thing by others, I hope our club is so far over this idea. I want us to be ruthless and every chance we get to burn the opposition I want us to take it. Send a bloody marching band and announce that we are pissing on their territory. I hope they fold whoever they are.

They wouldn't have known Hibbo would become available.

We don't need flankers, we need high quality inside midfielders and your not giving up Oliver, Trengove anytime soon so a surplus to your needs is the KPF's you have..

You have done extremely well to develop five (Hogan, Weideman, King, King, Hullet) developing key forwards. If we could agree to one of them + a pick, it could be a win:win for all parties involved.
They don't know Hibbo is available and I'm sure they have plenty of other trade targets. We've had trade targets the last few years and don't eventuate.

Neal-Bullen is a 19-20 year old inside mid constantly getting 25-30+ possies in best on ground performances in the VFL but can't get a game in the seniors. He may request a trade somewhere for better opportunity. Melbourne won't trade players unless they request it.

Max King and Mitch King are ruckmans and not key forwards, they may play some time up forward but they are ruckman first.

Melbourne's pecking order right now for rucks

Gawn - number 1 ruck
Spencer - backup
King - developing
King - developing

Forwards

Hogan - number 1
Watts - number 2
Dawes - number 3
Pederson - backup
Weideman - developing
Hullet - developing

Dawes and Pederson most likey will be moved on this year opening the door for both Weideman and Hullet.

As for Todd Marshall being the only decent key forward in this years draft, have a look at where Hullet was drafted from and even when he was drafted no one knew who he was, the AFL website didn't even have a photo and one single word of information about him on his draft profile. There are plenty of prospects out there if the recruiters do their research.

I guess they have to hold off on writing his training program because he is contracted and this contradicts AFL protocols WADA.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

They don't know Hibbo is available and I'm sure they have plenty of other trade targets. We've had trade targets the last few years and don't eventuate.

Neal-Bullen is a 19-20 year old inside mid constantly getting 25-30+ possies in best on ground performances in the VFL but can't get a game in the seniors. He may request a trade somewhere for better opportunity. Melbourne won't trade players unless they request it.

Forwards

Hogan - number 1
Watts - number 2
Dawes - number 3
Pederson - backup
Weideman - developing
Hullet - developing

Dawes and Pederson most likey will be moved on this year opening the door for both Weideman and Hullet.

As for Todd Marshall being the only decent key forward in this years draft, have a look at where Hullet was drafted from and even when he was drafted no one knew who he was, the AFL website didn't even have a photo and one single word of information about him on his draft profile. There are plenty of prospects out there if the recruiters do their research.

Fair enough about your ruckman situation.

If Hullett is so far down the pecking order, even with Pederwon and Dawes being moved on, Hullett would be down the order hence my inquiry about him. Would be more obtainable than Weideman.

The very best key forwards are taken early in the draft. If we can trade out pick 1 for picks 4 & 8 then Todd Marshall at 4 could be an option but feel we could chase a young already developing key forward like Hullett and recruit two key forwards this off season.

You guys struck gold with Hullett late, ditto Kings (x2). Wish we could to again after a hooked our last late round win for a KPP.

Family of friends of family. Even he was surprised not to be rookied from the sounds (third hand). I think the bulldogs were interested so Melbourne jumped in and made sure they got him. Exciting that he is going well early.

Fair enough about your ruckman situation.

If Hullett is so far down the pecking order, even with Pederwon and Dawes being moved on, Hullett would be down the order hence my inquiry about him. Would be more obtainable than Weideman.

The very best key forwards are taken early in the draft. If we can trade out pick 1 for picks 4 & 8 then Todd Marshall at 4 could be an option but feel we could chase a young already developing key forward like Hullett and recruit two key forwards this off season.

You guys struck gold with Hullett late, ditto Kings (x2). Wish we could to again after a hooked our last late round win for a KPP.
At the moment Hullet is down the pecking order as a developing player but he's moving his way up, could be ahead of Weideman now after he kicked 4 today. But none of these players have played in the AFL yet so don't think can say we struck gold yet. Watts is a free agent this year, Hogan is going to get big offer of money to return home, out of those 6 forwards we may only be left with Weideman and Hullet in a few years, we'd be crazy to trade them.

Family of friends of family. Even he was surprised not to be rookied from the sounds (third hand). I think the bulldogs were interested so Melbourne jumped in and made sure they got him. Exciting that he is going well early.
When we drafted him I was thinking why not just take him as a rookie, surely he'd still be available. I also said the same thing a few years ago about Jayden Hunt who like Hullet no one had heard of, but after him debuting this year he looks like a good pick. We seem to have done well with a couple of late surprises in the draft.

As I suspected Gold Coast have found their way into the bottom 3 which makes the 2for1 trade that little bit more tantalising. It did however shuffle Port below Melbourne for the time being.

As it stands Pick 1 for Picks 3 and 10.

Would now guarantee us a Petrevski-Seton, McCluggage or Brodie.

Not saying this didn't happen, but I'm just generally wondering why they would give him a Melbourne jumper now? Like what use is it when the deal can't be announced until what, trade week or something?
That's the first thing I thought, was wondering if they'd met and given him a jumper and said go home and see what it looks like...I was stunned..didn't make sense..

As I suspected Gold Coast have found their way into the bottom 3 which makes the 2for1 trade that little bit more tantalising. It did however shuffle Port below Melbourne for the time being.

As it stands Pick 1 for Picks 3 and 10.

Would now guarantee us a Petrevski-Seton, McCluggage or Brodie.
True it is only the first week of the bye's though so lets wait and see where they're at after that. Might not be so easy to do a two for one with the 3rd pick now too (but I guess it depends on whether they think they've banked enough points for their academy prospects with the plethora of later picks they've banked). Could work out even more nicely too depending on where Collingwood finish if we do trade with GWS for Patton, as follows:

ESS out/GCS in: 1st rounder (currently Pick 1)
GCS out/ESS in: 1st rounders (Pick 3 + Pick 10)

ESS out/GWS in: Pick 3 + Pick 37
GWS out/ESS in: Patton + Collingwood's 1st rounder (currently Pick 5, but I think it'll be around Pick 8)

If we were to do that, we'd just about be turning Pick 1 into two top 10 picks and the key forward we're desperate for.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back