Preview Elimination Final - Carlton v Essendon - Sunday Sept 11 @ 2.40PM - MCG

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Re: Probable Elimination Final - Carlton vs. Essendon, MCG - Wouldn't want it any other way!!

Ive got an 8 game interstate membership... will it be problem getting a ticket ?

Hope it's a saturday, I have to drive home sunday if I make the trip.

Re: Probable Elimination Final - Carlton vs. Essendon, MCG - Wouldn't want it any other way!!

Ratten is really under the pump.
Lose a third straight elimination final and he is gone

He will probably get a 10 year contract when we SMASH Essenscum by 20 goals.

Personally I think that finishing 5th rather than 4th gives us a much bigger chance of making the preliminary final. Make the prelim and anything is possible.

I cannot see Essendon getting within 10 goals of us. GO BLUES!

Personally I think that finishing 5th rather than 4th gives us a much bigger chance of making the preliminary final

Playing Eagles in Perth is better than Melbourne, after already having a chance at a Prelim before this?

How you figure that one...

Does anyone know what the go is with tickets if you're a reserve seat "gold premium" member?

I don't s'pose that considering it's our "home final" that our reserve seats are offered to us first?

Boys....

This isn't set in stone yet. If Brisbane knock off Sydney to the tune of 110ish + points then it'll be Carlton v Sydney first week of finals. The other alternative is us beating the Saints by 200ish + but that seems little unrealistic.

Just saying.

we should win however if Armfield, Josepeh, Ellard and Davies are in the same team we'll struggle and you can bookmark that, need Russell and Waite back in the side this week for two of those guys preferably Davies and AJ to get a game into them before the finals... pressure is all on us here, Essendon will front up with nothing to lose and just go for it and that is a dangerous situation.. it will be tight! Mentally we are fragile from the events of 09 10...this will take the shackles off for this group if we get over the line.

Yep. Two of Army, Davies and AJ need to make way for JR and Waite. I'd keep AJ and Ellard in..

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Am I the only one worried about meeting a full-strength Bombers without Waite and Jamo? They will be a massive handful.

Would be a nasty, nasty game to lose: 3 years running sent out in straight sets. This time by our arch rival, and a team 4 wins below us on the ladder.

I shudder to think at the consequences.

Playing at subi should hold no fears for you guys.
I'm tipping you guys will send the egirls out in straight sets.
The blues speed will win out.:thumbsu:

I have no huge fears about facing WCE at Subiaco. If it were at Etihad I'd be tipping the Eagles but at Subi/MCG I'm confident we'd get the win.

Their zone is outstanding but our pace is good enough to counter that. Can't show it off on a smaller ground like Etihad but on the wide expanses of Subiaco we'd be a huge chance.

Still have to get past week 1 though..........

Am I the only one worried about meeting a full-strength Bombers without Waite and Jamo? They will be a massive handful.

Would be a nasty, nasty game to lose: 3 years running sent out in straight sets. This time by our arch rival, and a team 4 wins below us on the ladder.

Whats wrong with Jamo??

What's wrong with Michael Jamison? I heard someone say he was injured during the VFL game :confused:

we should win however if Armfield, Josepeh, Ellard and Davies are in the same team we'll struggle and you can bookmark that, need Russell and Waite back in the side this week for two of those guys preferably Davies and AJ to get a game into them before the finals... pressure is all on us here, Essendon will front up with nothing to lose and just go for it and that is a dangerous situation.. it will be tight! Mentally we are fragile from the events of 09 10...this will take the shackles off for this group if we get over the line.

Wouldn't Essendon be fragile after the events of '09? We should be able to take more from our 2 finals performances, given we were in with a winning chance in both games, played interstate.

Essendon will be a bit flat coming off the bye, whereas if they were coming straight off their comeback win against Port, there confidence may have been quite high at the start of the game.

Wouldn't Essendon be fragile after the events of '09? We should be able to take more from our 2 finals performances, given we were in with a winning chance in both games, played interstate.

Essendon will be a bit flat coming off the bye, whereas if they were coming straight off their comeback win against Port, there confidence may have been quite high at the start of the game.

MS I appreciate the half glass full approach and i am optimistic and confident of a win however the facts remain that until we win a final the tag will be there, that we are fragile in big moments, the reality is that scarring from 09-10 exists within the group, it was evident first half against the Hawks where the most important moment of the season presented itself as a chance to salvage top 4 and a double chance and the players didn't front up they were scared of the moment, missed easy shots at goal with little or no physical pressure, the good thing was they fought back and that showed some resolve however the initial moment was lost..

make no mistakes the perceived pressure on Essendon will be a much less than it is on our group and they will need to handle that and rise above that mentally because the Bombers will be throwing the kitchen sink, battering in and playing on at all costs and giving Ryder and Hurley plenty of opportunities with no fear or reprise of error.. that is what will occur in 2 weeks time, the moment for the group to break the shackes mentally has arrived and they'll need to do it against a side that wont be scared of the consequences of losing that is what we are up against...a scary proposition but one the group needs to overcome to further their developmemt..

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
The team has shown much more resolve this year than you're giving them credit for. Apart from the Dogs game, they won those they should have and were competitive in those against the top teams.

I don't think they have quite the mental fragility that you're attributing to them.

We simply have to win this game, otherwise I doubt we will win a final for a long time. I'm not one usually to look on the negative side of things, but I really wonder what the ramifications would be if we were to lose to the Bombers

I have no huge fears about facing WCE at Subiaco. If it were at Etihad I'd be tipping the Eagles but at Subi/MCG I'm confident we'd get the win.

Their zone is outstanding but our pace is good enough to counter that. Can't show it off on a smaller ground like Etihad but on the wide expanses of Subiaco we'd be a huge chance.

Still have to get past week 1 though..........

Hate to hijack your thread but subiaco is 7 meters narrower than etihad

Hate to hijack your thread but subiaco is 7 meters narrower than etihad
Assuming they were rectangles rather then ovals to give us a rough idea:

(175.6*122.4 = 21493m2) vs (159.5*128.8 = 20543m2)

In simple terms that means there is an extra 4.6% more space at subiaco compared to eithad. The MCG is bigger again (22560m2), 9.8% larger then Eithad.

So you see while Eithad almost matches the MCG in length and beats Subiaco in width it is still a mile smaller then both of those grounds.

Fyi:
- The SCG is almost the same as Eithad, marginally smaller. (20264m2)
- AAMI stadium comes in halfway between the MCG and Subi. (21945m2)
- The Gabba clicks in a bee's digit larger then Subi (21528m2)

Therefore in terms of size MCG >> AAMI >> Gabba/Subi >> Eithad/SCG

In the days of zoning the different grounds make a huge difference, its no coincidence our worst 2 grounds happen to be the 2 smallest.

*Random Fact* TIO Stadium (NT) is the largest in the country yet only holds 17k

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
The team has shown much more resolve this year than you're giving them credit for. Apart from the Dogs game, they won those they should have and were competitive in those against the top teams.

I don't think they have quite the mental fragility that you're attributing to them.

I stand by those comments that we have yet to prove anything in big moments. Beating up on inferior opposition is not resolve, seizing the moment in a huge moment is resolve. Big moments are finals and games such as hawthorn where the season result hangs in the balance, this group hasn't delivered that yet..this is there moment if they have the fire and if the coach picks the right side for the moment (good decision makers and leaves at least two of the four turnover merchants in Aj army ellard and davies out) we will win because we are better..if the players are scared and the wrong side is picked we will lose..I look forward to the boys seizing the moment and pulling away to a nice win..

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back