Preview Elimination Final - Carlton v Essendon - Sunday Sept 11 @ 2.40PM - MCG

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Re: Probable Elimination Final - Carlton vs. Essendon, MCG - Wouldn't want it any other way!!

Playing Eagles in Perth is better than Melbourne, after already having a chance at a Prelim before this?

How you figure that one...

Because we wont play Collingwood during the first round and by finishing 5th we get to smash the Bombers and play West Coast on a ground that suits our game style.

Re: Probable Elimination Final - Carlton vs. Essendon, MCG - Wouldn't want it any other way!!

I stand by those comments that we have yet to prove anything in big moments. Beating up on inferior opposition is not resolve, seizing the moment in a huge moment is resolve. Big moments are finals and games such as hawthorn where the season result hangs in the balance, this group hasn't delivered that yet..this is there moment if they have the fire and if the coach picks the right side for the moment (good decision makers and leaves at least two of the four turnover merchants in Aj army ellard and davies out) we will win because we are better..if the players are scared and the wrong side is picked we will lose..I look forward to the boys seizing the moment and pulling away to a nice win..

The key point is that they've shown MORE resolve this year than in year's past. You only have to look at the second half of last year and how they fell away badly.

This year they were headed in games against Adelaide and St Kilda, but both times fought through for the win. And also won nearly all of the games they "should" have won (bar the Bulldogs game).

The only thing that worries me about this game is kicking accuracy. That's been their biggest problem this year. So if they're accurate early, I think they'll win relatively comfortably.

Your point is a valid one, but I think it comes more into play in later finals, not the first one.

Bruising would you say?

why yes, yes I would :)

I do like that a number of you are already buying tickets to Perth and thinking about the challenges that game will give you. Good confidence Blues! Week one should be a mere formality.

The key point is that they've shown MORE resolve this year than in year's past. You only have to look at the second half of last year and how they fell away badly.

This year they were headed in games against Adelaide and St Kilda, but both times fought through for the win. And also won nearly all of the games they "should" have won (bar the Bulldogs game).

The only thing that worries me about this game is kicking accuracy. That's been their biggest problem this year. So if they're accurate early, I think they'll win relatively comfortably.

Your point is a valid one, but I think it comes more into play in later finals, not the first one.

i disagree, given the pressure that is on the group to win this first final to quell the last 2 years and really to consign the last decade to the memory bank and to rid the downhill skier choker tag the first final is the most valid...once we win that the monkey is off the back and we can go far in this finals series, the eagles in perth and a prelim against cats or hawks dont worry me as much as the mental hurdle of week one!

Am I the only one worried about meeting a full-strength Bombers without Waite and Jamo? They will be a massive handful.

Would be a nasty, nasty game to lose: 3 years running sent out in straight sets. This time by our arch rival, and a team 4 wins below us on the ladder.

I shudder to think at the consequences.

No you are not alone in your fear. Essendon's form has not been as consistent as ours but when they have hit top gear they have shown themselves capable of very good football. They have nothing to lose whereas we have a bogie on our backs after last two year's eliminations.

Agree that selection table is very important for this game but glad I am not picking the side. Its become clear during the course of the season who our best 18 are but who the bottom four is remains unclear and this is where we could lose it.

I can not see anything other than an intense, close game here.

Everybody talking about West Coast in the second week please shut up lest you put the moz on us. If ever the one week at a time cliche was a truism, it is now.

MS I appreciate the half glass full approach and i am optimistic and confident of a win however the facts remain that until we win a final the tag will be there, that we are fragile in big moments, the reality is that scarring from 09-10 exists within the group, it was evident first half against the Hawks where the most important moment of the season presented itself as a chance to salvage top 4 and a double chance and the players didn't front up they were scared of the moment, missed easy shots at goal with little or no physical pressure, the good thing was they fought back and that showed some resolve however the initial moment was lost..

make no mistakes the perceived pressure on Essendon will be a much less than it is on our group and they will need to handle that and rise above that mentally because the Bombers will be throwing the kitchen sink, battering in and playing on at all costs and giving Ryder and Hurley plenty of opportunities with no fear or reprise of error.. that is what will occur in 2 weeks time, the moment for the group to break the shackes mentally has arrived and they'll need to do it against a side that wont be scared of the consequences of losing that is what we are up against...a scary proposition but one the group needs to overcome to further their developmemt..
Good post. Both sides clearly deserve their spot/billing but finals are a different matter.
We've arguably played our best footy when we've had nothing to lose - Geelong, ANZAC day, round 1 probably our best performances when rank outsiders. Similar, I guess, to you guys about a year or two ago.

I actually think, when it comes to the crunch, all of it will come to naught, Blues wil fall back on their confidence earnt through the year & tick all the boxes and kick away. Just hoping for no injuries & they give a good account of themselves.

That's not to say Ratten (& I daresay most of you!) won't be packing himself: bring it on.

I won't post again on this board after this post (regarding this match), as you guys deserve to lap it up, as we are on our board.

However I just wanted to say:

CARLTON VS ESSENDON. IN A FINAL. AT THE MCG.

Wow. I've been praying for it for months, and it's been 10 years since it last happened, but it's finally happening.

Damn, this is exciting :thumbsu:

Re: Elimination Final - Carlton v Essendon @MCG - Wouldn't want it any other way!!

Does anyone no for sure when this game will be played - will it be Sat 10/9 or Sun 11/9? I understand the schedule has not been released by the AFL yet - but going on previous years when can we expect the game to be played - need to book flights and accom. Also, I live on the Sunny Coast in Qld and am a Long Distance Member so am hoping I have access to tickets before general public - can anyone confirm this? Do not want to miss out on this - at any cost!

I am never confident playing the Bombers and gee the fallout IF we drop this final will be massive and heads will roll.

90k+ At the G will be an awesome spectacle and cant wait!!

Same.
As we know, there is always something special about Carlton vs Essendon, but in a cut throat final, the intensity will be through the roof.

We do play the MCG much better than Essendon, and having had a one game under our belts after the bye will hold us in good stead. Essendon missing Crameri is a big loss for them, as he has just about been the find of 2011.

Not sure if they have a great matchup for either Betts and Garlett either.

And as someone has already said, I can't imagine guys like Judd, Murphy, Jamo and the likes wanting to exit the finals in week 1.

Tipping a tight first half, with Carlton moving away after half time.

Carlton by 25 points.

Re: Elimination Final - Carlton v Essendon @MCG - Wouldn't want it any other way!!

Does anyone no for sure when this game will be played - will it be Sat 10/9 or Sun 11/9? I understand the schedule has not been released by the AFL yet - but going on previous years when can we expect the game to be played - need to book flights and accom. Also, I live on the Sunny Coast in Qld and am a Long Distance Member so am hoping I have access to tickets before general public - can anyone confirm this? Do not want to miss out on this - at any cost!

If we play Essendon (still the slightest possibility that we won't), it will be on the Sunday.
The schedule will be:
Friday night Geelong v Hawthorn (MCG)
Saturday day Collingwood v WCE (MCG)
Saurday night Sydney vs StKilda (Etihad or Olympic stadium)
Sunday Carlton V Essendon (MCG)

It will more than likely be on Sunday 11th Sept in the afternoon at the MCG.

Andrew Demetriou will announce the schedule at the completion of Rnd 24 on Sunday night.

The Club normally sends out a flyer will all ticketing info but there is also finals info on the AFL website ..........

2011 AFL Finals Week 1 Ticket Info

I think we'll see something similar to the last game. Really tight until half time then the Blues to gain control.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

If we play Essendon (still the slightest possibility that we won't), it will be on the Sunday.
The schedule will be:
Saturday day Collingwood v WCE (MCG)
Saurday night Sydney vs StKilda (Etihad or Olympic stadium)
Sunday Carlton V Essendon (MCG)

I think you're right.

If the AFL had any sense though:
Saturday day Collingwood v WCE (Etihad)
Saurday night Carlton V Essendon (MCG)
Sunday Sydney vs StKilda (Etihad or Olympic stadium)
(MCG)

This is based more on TV audience than crowds, as the two biggest games are in the prime time spots.......however "everyone is against us" will get their way and have a night game in prime time.

I couldnt care less what the score is... I just hope we dictate the whole match, keep their scoreline to under 10 goals, and for the love of god.... NO INJURIES.... PLEASE....!!!

If we can just smash them in every aspect of the game, obviously including the scoreline, this will put us in a very good position for the following week...

This is following scenario that I would find most pleasing for the finals series...

First Week
- Carl 160 def Ess 55
- WCE 91 def Pies 90
- Geel 98 def Haw 88
- Syd 110 def StK 75

Second week
- Carl 120 def Pies 119
- Haw 102 def Syd 78

Third Week
- Carl 108 def Geel 84
- Haw 92 def WCE 67

GF
- Carl 96 def Haw 58

GO BLUES...!!!!

I couldnt care less what the score is... I just hope we dictate the whole match, keep their scoreline to under 10 goals, and for the love of god.... NO INJURIES.... PLEASE....!!!

If we can just smash them in every aspect of the game, obviously including the scoreline, this will put us in a very good position for the following week...

This is following scenario that I would find most pleasing for the finals series...

First Week
- Carl 160 def Ess 55
- WCE 91 def Pies 90
- Geel 98 def Haw 88
- Syd 110 def StK 75

Second week
- Carl 120 def Pies 119
- Haw 102 def Syd 78

Third Week
- Carl 108 def Geel 84
- Haw 92 def WCE 67

GF
- Carl 96 def Haw 58

GO BLUES...!!!!

Would it kill you to be even a little optimistic in your posts?

:mad:

Would it kill you to be even a little optimistic in your posts?

:mad:

Is it possible to be any more optimistic than predicting us winning all 4 matches and wining the GF from 5th position against all odds...!!!????? :thumbsu:

Is it possible to be any more optimistic than predicting us winning all 4 matches and wining the GF from 5th position against all odds...!!!????? :thumbsu:

You'd think at the very least we'd go back to back to back

You'd think at the very least we'd go back to back to back

You are right Zee... how could I be so safe and just predict the 1 premiership :(

:thumbsu::thumbsu:

My god, I havent stopped smiling at the thought of this game...!! I think its mainly because My friends and I normally role 10 deep for every blues v bumbers affair and have been for a few years now... the fact that this is a final is makin me feel good in my special places.... :D

Im really looking forward to this game. I have a feeling we might beat you even though your a better team than us at the moment - similar to the 99 prelim......remember that game you pinched from us! Yes - I still havent got over it but they say revenge is a dish best served cold and Im hoping for sweet revenge 12 years later :) In all seriousness you should win but you just never know on the day..Nothing to be gained against the Saints this week either - will a few players (Judd, Murphy, Betts) be wrapped in cotton wool?

Im really looking forward to this game. I have a feeling we might beat you even though your a better team than us at the moment - similar to the 99 prelim......remember that game you pinched from us! Yes - I still havent got over it but they say revenge is a dish best served cold and Im hoping for sweet revenge 12 years later :) In all seriousness you should win but you just never know on the day..Nothing to be gained against the Saints this week either - will a few players (Judd, Murphy, Betts) be wrapped in cotton wool?

The Bullants will be playing the Saints this week. :D

Assuming they were rectangles rather then ovals to give us a rough idea:

(175.6*122.4 = 21493m2) vs (159.5*128.8 = 20543m2)

In simple terms that means there is an extra 4.6% more space at subiaco compared to eithad. The MCG is bigger again (22560m2), 9.8% larger then Eithad.

So you see while Eithad almost matches the MCG in length and beats Subiaco in width it is still a mile smaller then both of those grounds.

Fyi:
- The SCG is almost the same as Eithad, marginally smaller. (20264m2)
- AAMI stadium comes in halfway between the MCG and Subi. (21945m2)
- The Gabba clicks in a bee's digit larger then Subi (21528m2)

Therefore in terms of size MCG >> AAMI >> Gabba/Subi >> Eithad/SCG

In the days of zoning the different grounds make a huge difference, its no coincidence our worst 2 grounds happen to be the 2 smallest.

*Random Fact* TIO Stadium (NT) is the largest in the country yet only holds 17k

True but a forward line defensive zone works a lot better on a narrower ground. When you do the kick out you have a 50 to 60 meter down the ground area to kick to, while the opposition team tries to fill in the gaps between the players.

When the ground is 7 meters wider (or in the mcg's case it's a lot more than 7 meters) that's a lot more space to try and zone up.

So in subi's case it's a bit harder to clear the zone, but once you have you have to travel that extra 15 meters to reach goal.

I am not looking forward to this game at all. I am dreading it. I think we just need to get the monkey off our backs, win a final and then we can enjoy Sept a lot more.

If we lose this game I will be devastated. So much hard work this year, we deserve a preliminary at the very least (and we're good enough to make one).

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back