AFL Autopsy Essendon v Melbourne, Melbourne by 1 point

Remove this Banner Ad

As supporters, most of us have had an absolutely horrible time for the past 16 months.

Not even just when watching the footy (because it's brought up every single ****ing game), but at work, with mates, wherever it is. People have treated us like shit because a corrupt process has painted the footy side that we support as villains.

Now think of the players - the ones directly affected - and magnify it by 1,000,000.

They'd be entitled to be on the verge of a nervous breakdown, and yet they've kept schtum, put on a brave face for 16 months, dominated the majority of 2013 season, and done enough in 2014 to be in contention for the finals.

I have no beef with them. In fact I'm ****ing proud of them. :hearts:

Last edited:
As supporters, most of us have had an absolutely horrible time for the past 16 months.

Not even just when watching the footy (because it's brought up every single ******* game), but at work, with mates, wherever it is. People have treated us like shit because a corrupt process has painted the footy side that we support as villains.

Now think of the players - the ones directly affected - and magnify it by 1,000,000.

They'd be entitled to be on the verge of a nervous breakdown, and yet they've kept schtum, put on a brave face for 16 months, dominated the majority of 2013 season, and done enough in 2014 to be in contention for the finals.

I have no beef with them. In fact I'm ******* proud of them. :heart:
I think that's a fair call, were just hurting as a supporter base mate. I'm sure the players have it a million times worse but we the EFC fans will support them no matter what.

Last edited:

Bomber has said before and after the game that the ASADA stuff is not to be used as an excuse and that they have been here all before.

The fact that this has happened before against Melbourne (2012)... In a time when we weren't in the middle of a drug scandal suggests that this isn't some side effect of what's been going on.

Bomber has said before and after the game that the ASADA stuff is not to be used as an excuse and that they have been here all before.

The fact that this has happened before against Melbourne (2012)... In a time when we weren't in the middle of a drug scandal suggests that this isn't some side effect of what's been going on.

If the ASADA thing was the problem then I would imagine the area we would be lacking in would be effort, that clearly wasn't the case yesterday as we comfortably won the contested ball and tackling. Our execution was just poor and we squandered opportunities to kick goals time and time again. Purely a Football problem if you ask me which gives me hope that it can be fixed.

Just rewatched the last quarter because I just need to get my head around it again... and my recommendation for anyone thinking of doing the same is dont. Its even more infuriatingly frustrating watching so many "what-if"s moments knowing the result. :mad:

• Our forward structure is a joke.
  • Our goal kicking disgraceful.
  • Hocking tackle effectively put the final nail in it.
  • Melksham is in his worst career form, worse than periods in 2012.
  • Dempsey is a shadow of the player he once was.
  • Bellchambers was rubbish up forward and in the ruck.

That for me was the worst of the lot. Slow down and tackle him!!

32 more contested possessions, 14 more clearances, 32 more I50's, 9 more tackles (despite more possessions), 9 more scoring shots. That's a smashing. All fairly relevant stats and Essendon won them easily, but accuracy in front of goal is one of the most crucial and Essendon lost it badly (37% from 27 shots to 66% from 18 shots.)

You just can't miss so many shots from 30 metres out or closer and within a 45 degree angle, especially in a side that has struggled for goals most of this year. I agree with Bomber in that the ASADA shit isn't to blame inasmuch as it shouldn't be on a player's mind when he is having a simple set shot for goal.

we butchered the ball going in F50. Daniher was held all game for nothing. Asada umpires made it tough for us. How we didnt all get behind the ball when we regained the lead was amazing, 3 melbourne blokes on their own to kick the last goal. Jack Viney is the new Joel Selwood, bloody head ducking cheat. will the MRP get the melbourne player for a spear tackle on merrett (he was killing them til this happened)

32 more contested possessions, 14 more clearances, 32 more I50's, 9 more tackles (despite more possessions), 9 more scoring shots. That's a smashing. All fairly relevant stats and Essendon won them easily, but accuracy in front of goal is one of the most crucial and Essendon lost it badly (37% from 27 shots to 66% from 18 shots.)

You just can't miss so many shots from 30 metres out or closer and within a 45 degree angle, especially in a side that has struggled for goals most of this year. I agree with Bomber in that the ASADA shit isn't to blame inasmuch as it shouldn't be on a player's mind when he is having a simple set shot for goal.

whilst when they cross the line they probably dont think about the asada stuff, it would definitely hamper their preparation and training during the week, mental toughness can only go so far for these players at this stage

Not even just when watching the footy (because it's brought up every single ******* game), but at work, with mates, wherever it is. People have treated us like shit because a corrupt process has painted the footy side that we support as villains.

I have no beef with them. In fact I'm ******* proud of them. :hearts:

Well said Kong.

People here are being way too hard on the players. They're not considering the effects of the long term stress they've been put under.

Some people have spent many hours researching the asada stuff. I'd implore you now to spend a few minutes and research what the effects of stress and anxiety are on our minds and bodies. Truly horrible stuff. If you do that you may have a little more sympathy for the players.

Personally I'm surprised how the players have been so strong sticking together through this. They need us now more than ever to stick by them, not to turn against them.

I have no beef with them. In fact I'm ******* proud of them. :hearts:

Agree with your notion. But as we've heard from Bomber and some players, it's become part of the Essendon environment. I don't accept that they cannot focus for two hours on footy and get the job done. I've been willing to take the hum-drum wins we've notched up, and would've taken any win today, but as we've been told in another context, enough is enough. I don't need my club to tell me to stick fat, but I need them to give me something to believe in.

Also, I think it is rather generous to state that the team's done enough to be in contention for finals. We don't deserve to be. It is the stumbling and inconsistency of teams around us that has us within striking distance, more than our own efforts (which have largely been unimpressive and against seriously poor sides). I would be surprised if we don't lose to a resurgent Walker-led Adelaide and then submit meekly to Geelong, whilst being overtaken by Adelaide and West Coast in the process.

Actually playing football should be the release, where the off-field issues aren't relevant. I understand the general lack of motivation arising from the ASADA uncertainty, but have some pride - not directed at all players, obviously.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

What can you say, talk about pissing a game away.
Poor goal kicking.
Terrible options going forward. FFS why keep kicking to a 1 on 3 and even worse when it a small forward on three...
Not picking up on the obvious things Melbourne does like feeding the ball back and putting pressure on to stop it.
Panic handball to blokes standing still.
Lack of team efforts like a block here.
Bunch of flat track bullies . Most more concerned about their own games.
Slow as a Sunday morning hangover in the midfield.
Too many trail up players not willing to go hard man on man.
Simply have not got the mental capacity to work as a unit, trust each other in defense and work hard enough for each other in attack
and defense.
Long way of a flag !!!

At least we can take something away from this game.

We are AFL record holders! Highest ever inside 50 differential for a losing team! Well done lads, good effort.

We're starting to break our own records now. We were previous holders of this record too... have a guess which team our last AFL record "inside 50 differential for a losing team" was against...

At least we can take something away from this game.

We are AFL record holders! Highest ever inside 50 differential for a losing team! Well done lads, good effort.

We're starting to break our own records now. We were previous holders of this record too... have a guess which team our last AFL record "inside 50 differential for a losing team" was against...
Sydney right?

Another game I want to erase from my memory.

Sydney right?

Another game I want to erase from my memory.
BLANK looks up (sort of), bombs it inside 50 aaaand Ted Richards takes an easy mark. Gawwww.

I didn't see the game but i imagine it went something like that but with Lynden Dunn subbed in.

Remove this Banner Ad

AFL Autopsy Essendon v Melbourne, Melbourne by 1 point

Remove this Banner Ad

Back