Preview Essendon v. Melbourne - Round 15 - Discussion/Team/GameDay

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Re: Team Rnd 15 vs Melbourne

I'm not a big Bachar lover and don't mind eithe way whether he plays. But the fact is that he couldn't be out of the side over Prismall just due to Prismall 'getting enough of the ball to be damaging'. Bachar averages 20+ possies when he plays and can be damaging enough, it is just the other parts of his game which keep him out.

I don't think we know the real reason behind Houli not playing.

I think by foot Houli is better than Prismall, because Prismall often makes terrible decisions. Yes, he kicks it well but it often gets cut off or the person he kicks it to is under the pump. This in my mind counters Houli's handball deficiency.

Really, Prismall has had his chance and if he doesn't show something this week I wouldn't mind seeing Houli take his spot for a bit.

In Prismall's defence, he does try to get back and help out the defence. Living in Adelaide I don't see Bendigo play, does Houli do this?

I think by foot Houli is better than Prismall, because Prismall often makes terrible decisions. Yes, he kicks it well but it often gets cut off or the person he kicks it to is under the pump. This in my mind counters Houli's handball deficiency.

Really, Prismall has had his chance and if he doesn't show something this week I wouldn't mind seeing Houli take his spot for a bit.

In Prismall's defence, he does try to get back and help out the defence. Living in Adelaide I don't see Bendigo play, does Houli do this?
Disposal isn't the reason Houli isn't playing. He sends the ball exactly where he wants to. The problem is his decision making is absolutely horrendous.

Disposal isn't the reason Houli isn't playing. He sends the ball exactly where he wants to. The problem is his decision making is absolutely horrendous.

Sounds very much like Prismall then. I guess the defensive running stuff is where Prismall gets a game ahead of Houli then.

Like I said, I don't get to watch Bendigo much, so thanks for that. I thought from opinion on here by many his disposal by foot was good, bad by hand, but if his decision making is ordinary I can understand why he isn't getting a game.

Houli has been playing as a rover for Bendigo for the past 6 weeks. So, he is playing as an in and under player. Now, who's position does he take in the seniors?

Hm, let's take a look at it. Jobe Watson? No. Andrew Welsh (Tagger)? No. Heath Hocking (Arguably our most improved midfielder this year), Ben Howlett (Has shown he has clean disposal in traffic at both VFL and AFL level), Mark Mcveigh (Mature body who knows what he is doing), Jake Melksham (Superstar in the making) and Jason Winderlich (Inside and outside player).

Now that brings me to the next point. Who's place does he take? Dyson? No, Dyson works hard both ways now a days. Brent Prismal/Brent Stanton? No. Both possesion accumulators who win enough of the ball to be damaging enough.

Did I miss any one?

Truth be told, I had high hopes for Bachar too. But have since seen the light to see that he is either a), not a Knights favorites or, b) he is simply not doing what he should be doing at Bendigo and not getting the call up.

As for Myers, same thing applies really, but it is multiplied. He is indeccisive when the ball is in his hands, this booming kick of his has gone M.I.A in recent weeks, whilst he didnt hit the side of a barn door on the weekend at Bendig (Honestly got me stumped why he was named in the best for Bendigo).

So... Yeah, hope that answers your questions.

He has played better than Howlett and Dyson at Bendigo, he is quite capable of playing the same roles as either and desereves a game ahead of both. He has also been performing better in the VFL than either Lonergan or Prismall did when they were dropped, neither deserve to keep their places in the side and I'm certain he would perform just as well or better than either in whatever role he was given.

In the case of Myers, he should not have been dropped in the first place. he played very good games agains the Dogs and Saints, and then was forced to play in defence where he did a decent defensive job but not enough the other way. We are getting smashed in the centre of the ground which is where Myers seems to do his best work. I would far rather see him in there than the four mentioned previously, all of whom will be rotated through the middle.

BS. Houli gives off the odd hospital handball, which looks terrible, but most of his decision making is pretty good and his disposal by foot is very good. He also gets the ball, which is a challenge for most of our mids.

Great to see Colyer get another crack.

Looking forward to seeing the dynamic of Neagle back in the side. For all his defficiencies, he's still one of the most talented blokes on our list. Probably a last roll of the dice over the next few weeks that if he doesn't make the most of, he'll be saying goodbye to Essendon.

Dyson... Mhe

Dempsey... Midfield please

Is Myers injured? Incredible to think he can't squeeze into that side... Would have loved to see NLM out for him.

Melksham, Lonergan and Prismall all omitted from the team.

Essendon
B: Andrew Welsh, Cale Hooker, Heath Hocking
HB: Mark McVeigh, Michael Hurley, Kyle Reimers
C: Leroy Jetta, Jobe Watson, Courtenay Dempsey
HF: Brent Stanton, Scott Gumbleton, Angus Monfries
F: Alwyn Davey, Jay Neagle, David Zaharakis
Foll: Patrick Ryder, Jason Winderlich, Ben Howlett
I/C (from): Ricky Dyson,Tom Bellchambers, Travis Colyer, Nathan Lovett-Murray

I don't know if I am delusional here, but I am puzzled how Prismall got dropped instead of Lovett-Murray this week. He hasn't played a good game since returning to the side, where as Prismall has improved plenty.

Last week, whilst half the team was beyond terrible, I thought that Lovett-Murray had absolutely zero influence and added nothing to our team.

Will watch ABC with interest tomorrow as the BB are gracing it.

Pweter

Houli's disposal or decision making is no worse than half the players in the best 22 - And he played 3 or 4 lock down roles as a defender in 2009.

It can only be because the Coaches think that Houli is soft.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

On paper this could be a real close game.

But seriously both sides have shown a weakness in the mental side of the game this year. Melbourne for example barely showed up against the Kangas, Weagles and Crows V2.0, yet can play well against top sides.

I obviously don't know Essendons games as well as the Dees but you ran the Cats close, beat some decent sides then turned in some howlers like last week.

If both play to full potential I would like to say the Dees should win (seeing we are a heaps better side - usually at the 'G'), but I'm sure you guys will come out all fired up after the media spotlight has been on you this week.

All in all you have been a bogie side for us, even when we were regularly playing finals. Heart says Dees by a couple of goals, head says DOns by the same amount.

See you at the 'G'.

DL

The loss of Grimes is absolutely massive for us but having in's like Sylvia and Jurrah softens that blow quite considerably and adds a bit an unknown factor to our forward line which gets quite a boost from the Bombers still not having Fletcher.

I don't expect LJ to be too rusty and he's played the last 2 games at Casey and worked out a few of the cobwebs and tested out his shoulder to pretty good effect, whereas Sylvia has missed quite a few weeks and played last week in the VFL if I remember correctly so it aids us a bit knowing that to of our big ins aren't coming straight back in and have had a bit of match practice.

Just wondering about your defense and who goes to:

- Green
- Bate
- Jurrah
- Watts
- Bennell
- Dunn

The loss of Grimes is absolutely massive for us but having in's like Sylvia and Jurrah softens that blow quite considerably and adds a bit an unknown factor to our forward line which gets quite a boost from the Bombers still not having Fletcher.

I don't expect LJ to be too rusty and he's played the last 2 games at Casey and worked out a few of the cobwebs and tested out his shoulder to pretty good effect, whereas Sylvia has missed quite a few weeks and played last week in the VFL if I remember correctly so it aids us a bit knowing that to of our big ins aren't coming straight back in and have had a bit of match practice.

Just wondering about your defense and who goes to:

- Green-McVeigh
- Bate-Hooker
- Jurrah-Hocking
- Watts-Hurley
- Bennell-Dyson
- Dunn-Dempsey
that's what I think. dunno about your defense, and who'd go to:

Neagle
Gumbleton
Jetta
Davey
Zaharakis
Monfries

Keep in mind about that Green/McVeigh match-up that Greeny has been playing predominantly as a forward this year and should be inside the attacking 50 again tomorrow.

Neagle
Gumbleton
Jetta
Davey
Zaharakis
Monfries

Neagle - Frawley
Chip could also go to Monfries so not really sure who he should go to but that's the beauty of Chip, doesn't matter if they are big or small he's capable of taking either size.

Gumbleton - Garland
Hopefully Col's long "Fletcher-Lite" type arms although he's not that good yet can upset Gumby and stop him when he goes aerial.

Jetta - Cheney
Haven't seen much of Leroy but if he's anything like the others he's got the pace to burn but we really don't have anybody else with Bennell playing up forward so he might trouble Cheney, hopefully Leroy has a phobia of rangas.

Davey - Bartram
Bartram has been a bit of a small revelation this year getting back to the form of his debut year and has been very effective in shutting down smalls, made Neon Leon his bitch twice this year. Although with Grimes out I wouldn't be surprised to see Aaron vs Alwyn because I feel that without the skills of Grimes we will need the picture perfect boot of Aaron Davey out of the backline.

Monfries - Rivers
Don't think this match-up with eventuate because it serves no advantage to us whatsoever but Rivers was the only defender left so I wouldn't be surprised to see Rivers go to Neagle and Frawley go to Monfries because he has been very good against us in recent times if I remember correctly.

Should be a good game and hopefully the rain f***s off and conditions are perfect at the G.

Catch you there gents and go the Dees.

:thumbsu:

Neagle - Rivers/ Macdonald
Gumbleton - Frawley
Jetta - Bennell? depending where he lines up
Davey - Bartram
Zaharakis - Cheney/MacDonald/Bruce
Monfries - Garland/Bruce/ Macdonald

If any of Gumbleton, Neagle or Monfries start to look dangerous, Frawley will probably go to them.

We do lack speed on the last line and we could be exploited by Davey, Jetta. We will also be stretched by Ryder, whoever minds him when he goes forward will give away a fair bit of height.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back