Preview Essendon V Port (7/04) - In: Lonergan, Carlisle Out: Hooker (ankle), Hocking (concussion)

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Re: Essendon V Port (7/04) - Ins, Outs & all other pre-match discussion

Assuming none of these guys miss this week, last time we played port we had Wason, Hocking, Crameri, Hibberd, Dempsey AND Fletcher out. They are massive ins this time around. Would be dissapointed if we didn't win in a very convincing way considering we beat them without those 6 in last time.

For those that knock Mcveigh how do you know what his game instructions were? He is a 10 year plus player that has stuck with us through troubled times, a bit of respect is needed after round 1??? not every player gets 30 possessions and kicks multiple goals it smells of Paul Salmon type treatment.

I'm more worried about our transition from attack to defence, too many times North sliced us up when they moved the ball quickly, kicking long into Petrie and if he didnt mark it there smalls would run onto an easy goal. North scored far to easy going coast to coast.

Carlton, hawks and pies will smash us if this continues, Carlton especially with so many dangerous small forwards, as they showed against richmond they will run through the lines and take the game on.

Does that mean we need extra midfield strength against what seems a faster Port Adelaide? There midfield has also been bolstered since adding wingard, Ebert and McCarthy to their list.

P.S - adding to this argument we are suppose to be getting better defensively yet we let North score 101 points in a game we dominated for 2.5 quarters (first half of first quater was 50/50). Until we get that defence average down to 80 points we know where we have to improve and it aint the small forward position yet.
He was on the Sunday Inquisition on the ABC, he said his role was to add pressure, and he failed dismally, with his opponent getting 3.5x as many touches as Spike

The transition was due to poor forward pressure when Jetta and Monfries weren't up there. Spike was poor in that regard, as were Zaka, Watson and Melksham similarly

I agree, that's why players like Spike has to go.

Ebert and McCarthy aren't fast. They're strong, but slow. Wingard I agree on

It is. We probably need a bit more pace in the middle, that's why we recruited Kavanagh and Merrett in the national draft, as well as Dell'Olio and Dalgleish in the rookie draft

Paddy Ryder should anihilate Redden in the middle. I think thats where the game will be won and loss and we have a significant upper hand. Ive also noticed with todays game they are going H2H in the midfield, that is recipe for disaster with Watson, Stanton and Zaka.

Not sure how closely you are watching the Port game? Redden was really good before being subbed off. His ground work and second efforts were surprising to me.

Also think you are underrating their midfield. Their pressure and kamikaze attack on the ball has been impressive. You say it would be a disaster to go head to head with our midfield yet they have more than matched it with the Saints midfield.

I think we really need Hocking to pull up for this game.

Not to mention those muppets always lift against us no matter what :mad::mad::mad:

Looks like Port just won the Grand Final over there.

Hugs all around... laps of honour... can I spot a tear or two?

Taxing game against the Saints and their style of play and they held on for life in the final quarter. We have the extra day rest and they have to travel. You do the Math.

They won't be easy beats at all but we should be feeling confident at home.

Rodan looked ominous. Admittedly, he came on as the sub when everyone else was exhausted, but I'd expect him to play the full game next week. Very impressed with the Port performance.

Looks like Port just won the Grand Final over there.

Hugs all around... laps of honour... can I spot a tear or two?

If that's the case the same can be said for us.

Think you will have to wait for McVeigh to be dropped - Assuming his form is ordinary, then Winderlich is the obvious replacement, and he is a few weeks away.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

He was on the Sunday Inquisition on the ABC, he said his role was to add pressure, and he failed dismally, with his opponent getting 3.5x as many touches as Spike

The transition was due to poor forward pressure when Jetta and Monfries weren't up there. Spike was poor in that regard, as were Zaka, Watson and Melksham similarly

I agree, that's why players like Spike has to go.

Ebert and McCarthy aren't fast. They're strong, but slow. Wingard I agree on

It is. We probably need a bit more pace in the middle, that's why we recruited Kavanagh and Merrett in the national draft, as well as Dell'Olio and Dalgleish in the rookie draft

I think you missed my point, Port has added extra depth in there midfield and is something we again will fall short on this year.that extra depth means they can run out games for longer periods, with Butcher and Schultz in their forward line they can transition the ball from defence to attack in a mannetr that I think will give us some concern unless our structure slightly changes.

And as for forward pressure well maybe that wasnt there too but the forwards are not responsible for the loose men that are hanging out the back of the zone, they're not responsible for wells, boomer harvey, leigh adams running into easy goals.

I think Spike has made himself an easy target and as an Essendon supporter I think he deserves a bit more support especially considering it is round 1, i'm sure that he maybe re-assessed after round 4-5 if another player has earnt the right to take his spot.

i'm sure that he maybe re-assessed after round 4-5 if another player has earnt the right to take his spot.

Now this is interesting, because one could argue that McVeigh hasn't earned the spot. He's been parachuted in there because the defence is full. But unlike when he got parachuted into the defence because the midfield was full/we wanted to play kids, McVeigh doesn't have a history of being a decent forward in the last 6-7 or so years. So he's needed to hit the ground running to avoid criticism. He hasn't. He didn't do much in the NAB cup, he didn't do much last night, so if he doesn't do much next week or the week after.....

Saint forwards had lots of 1 on 1 battles and lost nearly all of them.
Hurley and Crameri 1 on 1 would be good for us I would think.

Rodan looked ominous.

He often does. The guy doesn't garner nearly enough press, perhaps due to the dicky knees, but he's an excitement machine.

Obviously a bogey side, but I'm confident that we're a cut above.

Only guys who could come out are the ones on the bench;-

Hibberd Fletch Myers
Heppell Pears Dempsey
Howlett NLM Melksham
Monfries Ryder Zaka
Crameri Hurley Jetta

Hille Watson Stanton

Hocking Hooker Hardingham McVeigh

Possible Ins: Carlisle (BOG for Bendigo), Lonergan, Del'olio (can we upgrade?)
unlikley - Dyson, Reimers , T.Bell

Very nervous. They're midfielders and forwards usually run riot against us.

So does that mean Gumby and Prismall come of the LTI list now as it has been 8 weeks and Dell'ollio cant be selected?

From the Bendigo reports the players putting their hands up for selection are Carlisle, Lonergan, Dell'Olio and Dyson.

I think we'll go in to the Port Adelaide game unchanged.

Dew...

Tredrea...

Burgoyne brothers in same team...

Cornes brothers in same team...

Pass the bucket.

NO DANIEL MOTLOP EITHER! THANK _ _ _ _ .

Yeah, I remember a few clinics being put on by Motlop against us!

From the Bendigo reports the players putting their hands up for selection are Carlisle, Lonergan, Dell'Olio and Dyson.

I think we'll go in to the Port Adelaide game unchanged.
Would not be shocked to see Dell in for McVeigh; or Lonergan in for Hocking (if he doesn't come up).

I was there. Buckets and Lonergan are the only chances for selection. Buckets was pulled at 3/4 time. Pretty sure the word to pull buckets off came direct from Wellman.

Edit: I should add TBell to that statement.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back