Preview Essendon V Port (7/04) - In: Lonergan, Carlisle Out: Hooker (ankle), Hocking (concussion)

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Re: Essendon V Port (7/04) - Ins, Outs & all other pre-match discussion

they're too busy getting in fights about the sanfl - a worthy cause - to be annoying tbh

LOL... True

Looking forward to this one. Catch 22 for us....4 tall marking targets, or drop one of them and gain leg speed on the fast track ?

Essendon too strong at home, but we'll put up a good showing.

Happy to win by a point - In saying that Etihad is nearly a fortress for EFC.

Pears vs Schulz
Hooker vs Butcher

Player Watch - Brad Ebert - My tip for Power's B and F.

Marked this game in as a win as soon as the draw was released.

It's a good thing that Port won yesterday, so hopefully we won't take them lightly.

I feel that if we win by any more than 24 points we'd have to be pretty happy with that, and I feel the game will be pretty close all day.

Would also really help our cause if Gray misses again this week.

Port have really been a stumbling block for us lately.
The close loss at Etihad in 2010 and then last years effort where we gave them a 5-6 goal lead in the last quarter and then chased it down. This actually shapes up as a tougher contest than perhaps the bookies and wider football public will acknowledge.

Some of the Port players really have the guts which Port Adelaide has always been renowned for in the SANFL. they were to hard at it for the Saints and the Saints did not like the pressure from them at all.

I think we will win but they have improved heaps.

Really want Port to have a good year.
Last year I thought a lot of players would walk out and would leave Port at the bottom, but the loyalty was great.
I do want Essendon to win on Saturday, but feel free to keep winning after. :thumbsu:

Happy to win by a point - In saying that Etihad is nearly a fortress for EFC.

Pears vs Schulz
Hooker vs Butcher

Player Watch - Brad Ebert - My tip for Power's B and F.
I would think Hooker would take Schulz- Schulz plays similarly to Petrie and Hooker destroyed the dish. Pears is almost the perfect match-up for Butcher

i wouldnt go as far as saying hooker destroyed the dish!

thought he was dangerous every time the ball came to them.. hooker gave away a few frees playing from behind and petrie may have had a few more goals if not for a couple of non mark calls by the umps.

I was rapt when he went into the ruck for a while.

i'd call the match up close to even.

i wouldnt go as far as saying hooker destroyed the dish!

thought he was dangerous every time the ball came to them.. hooker gave away a few frees playing from behind and petrie may have had a few more goals if not for a couple of non mark calls by the umps.

I was rapt when he went into the ruck for a while.

i'd call the match up close to even.
Petrie did shit all- a bakers dozen touches, 6 marks (at least 2 of which were in the ruck, and another 2 when Hooker was off with the ankle niggle), 5 frees for, 2 goals (one for diving like a primadonna) and 1 hitout. He was destroyed by Hooker who had no less than 10 spoils against him (I counted them), 6 intercept disposals, 13 disposals in total and was instrumental in defence. Petrie was destroyed, and was lucky to get at least one of his whopping 5 frees for. Without the 5 frees, the 2 marks when Hooker was off, Petrie would've had half a dozen disposals and 1 goal 1. Everybody would've agreed Hooker destroyed Petrie then

I hope butcher plays. Managed to sneak two goals against Saints, one of which was an unfair advantage kick from the square, but was generally as poor as expected.

Petrie did shit all- a bakers dozen touches, 6 marks (at least 2 of which were in the ruck, and another 2 when Hooker was off with the ankle niggle), 5 frees for, 2 goals (one for diving like a primadonna) and 1 hitout. He was destroyed by Hooker who had no less than 10 spoils against him (I counted them), 6 intercept disposals, 13 disposals in total and was instrumental in defence. Petrie was destroyed, and was lucky to get at least one of his whopping 5 frees for. Without the 5 frees, the 2 marks when Hooker was off, Petrie would've had half a dozen disposals and 1 goal 1. Everybody would've agreed Hooker destroyed Petrie then

fair enough.. seems like you had the eye on the contest closer than me.. i just rememebered early hooker gave away a few frees and petrie nearly took 2 huge hangers, one of which could have been paid... at quarter time i thought he was gunna rip it apart! i guess in the heat of the game i didnt really notice petrie go out of it, must have had the adreneline pumping and the blinkers on.

ill give it too hooker on points then!

i nearly puked when he got that goal for the dive!.... they were a joke standing over our players trying to be tough!

Looking forward to this game (been 4 years since I have been able to say I have been looking forward to any game really).

Probably hasn’t got any coverage interstate but Jackson Trengove had almost the perfect preseason (besides the minor injury) Has the build of a proper CHB now and in the trial games displayed the form to go with it. Would be great to see him go toe to toe with Hurley. So fingers crossed he pulls up for this one.

Reading a few pages it seems the Dons believe their bigger bodies will be a factor but just like you guys I think a major emphasis over preseason at the Port was to bulk up. An engine room of Boak, Cassisi, Mccarthy, Rodan & Thomas wont be pushed around that easily. The ruck is obviously where Essendon look to have a major advantage. Redden gave his all against the saints and did really well but McEvoy isn’t known for his tap work. Hille & Ryder will be a completely different prospect.

Ports “Quadrangle of Doom” is really just a Quadrangle of Gloom. 4 Talls in the forward line has never worked in the AFL. Hopefully Gray can replace Westhoff and I think we will have the balance to trouble a lot of sides.

I am still tipping Essendon to win as I think you guys are probably 12 months ahead of where we are but I expect it be close for the majority of the match and I think we will give you a really hard fought competitive game. Something we have failed to do consistently for a long long time.

Looking forward to it!

I shouldn't be worried about this game, but I am.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

That's because in the past, these are the games we traditionally lose. No disrespect to Port but they are probably a bottom 5 side

If you traditionally lose these games - doesn't that put you exactly where you are?

It's good to see we are lifted out of the bottom 4.:D

If you traditionally lose these games - doesn't that put you exactly where you are?

It's good to see we are lifted out of the bottom 4.:D

Not only that, but you're currently sitting above last years grand finalists on the ladder.

Port vs Ess GF, I'm calling it.

They have improved more than us compared to last year. However we are still the better side.

Paddy Ryder should anihilate Redden in the middle. I think thats where the game will be won and loss and we have a significant upper hand. Ive also noticed with todays game they are going H2H in the midfield, that is recipe for disaster with Watson, Stanton and Zaka.

Redden, Boak, Cassisi, Thomas, McCarthy and Ebert went head to head with McEvoy, Goddard, Hayes, Dal Santo, Montagna and Jones and won the contested possessions by a lazy 25.

Hopefully Gray can come in as he's our most talented midfielder by some margin.

Looks like Port just won the Grand Final over there.

Hugs all around... laps of honour... can I spot a tear or two?

We've been frse-aucked by the media, the SANFL and everyone bar Richmond, Melbourne and Adelaide in the past 12 months. A freshly-resourced and rejuvenated club simply had to come out and make a statement about its intentions and did against a solid opponent.

Great value about Port.
Should be about $1.80 / $2.30 respectively.

I got on at $14 last year. Still can't believe my misfortune how it played out. Will get on again.

I've never really written them off. Their finish to the year last year showed why they're going to be OK. While an insipid club like Melbourne would have openly embraced the wooden spoon, Port busted a gut to get off the bottom. There's not enough depth there yet, but their top end players are really going to be good players. I'm astounded Pittard isn't playing as well.

The list is actually quite good with depth in all areas and a very healthy age-profile at the tail-end of the compromised draft era. It has been the resources and coaching staff around it that has been the problem until last summer.

For instance, last year while you had the likes of Bomber Thompson and Simon Goodwin around Jim Hird, we had Dean Laidley flying in from Melbourne 3 days a week and a 23 year old computer analyst who hasn't laced a boot in charge of our midfield.

Seriously.

With a host of new full time coaches around Primus and more support staff around head of fitness Cam Falloon, the players are the biggest, fittest and most well-prepared they've been since 2004. Finals will be a bridge too far this year, but 8-10 wins isn't beyond the realms of possibility.

Hopefully it's a good game and there are no injuries. Cheers.

Just looking at Ports bests from the Port/Saints game and they are hardly household names :

Hartlett, Cornes, Ebert, Redden, Chaplin, McCarthy.

If the likes of Hurley, Watson, Zaka, Stants, Fletch & Ryder cant get on top of these sort of blokes (and at Ethiad stadium)then its going to be a long season for us....

and also - the fact that they played out of their skin and only just beat a side on the decline on their home turf doesnt stack up that well against a side on the up who played finals with a great record at ethiad and better players on every line...

If Cornes isn't a household name from the PAFC, I don't know who is.

And Non-Megahead Ebert is an extremely handy injection into their side... to be complacent about the Power as we were last time would be almost as bad a mistake as it nearly was last time (and even then it was a good foreshadowing that the team just wasn't up to it at that stage in the year).

I got on at $14 last year. Still can't believe my misfortune how it played out. Will get on again.
Just like that game, I will be on Port at the line.
That 90% of football that's played above the shoulders is all going Port's way.

I think we'll win, because we are still a bit slicker & more experienced, but it'll be like last year: a spirited contested game.

Just looking at Ports bests from the Port/Saints game and they are hardly household names :

Hartlett, Cornes, Ebert, Redden, Chaplin, McCarthy.

Interesting post.

If the above, especially those highlighted aren't 'household names' I think it suggests more about the Victorian Media not having much knowledge about our list.

• Hartlett will be our next Brownlow winner. All the class of Nathan Buckley.
  • Cornes is the biggest name at our club besides Tredrea since our inception into the AFL. Kane has had a completely refreshed pre-season and has but put 5kgs of muscle alone. Has dominated in the pre-season cup aswell.
  • Brad is a workhorse who though still having slightly dodgy disposal at times has added alot to our midfield.
  • The combination of Chaplin, Carlile and Trengove as KPD could by the end of the year be one of (if not) the best tall back line's in the AFL. With a new Defense coach they have been refreshed in their plays and are starting to play like the beginning of their careers again.

Besides that, Redden has been one of our standout performers (probably one of the standout kids this year) in Ruck. Covering the loss due to injury of Lobbe and Renouf; Jarred has held his own each week in the ruck and around the field. Dont under-rate a rucking team of Redden with a combination of Stewart/Westhoff/Trengove.

McCarthy has also almost become a new player since coming to Port and would be up there with our leading possession getter this year. Never going to be elite, but like Brad Ebert adds alot to our midfield.

Think this game will be a lot closer than most Bomber supporters would imagine, and think that the supporters and possibly the club itself under-rate us especially due to our horrendous last season.

We are a new team this year, and though our rise probably wont be in a similar fashion to West Coast - we will knock off a few teams this year that dont expect it.

If the Bombers take the game seriously and play to their best they should win be a few goals. If not it could be either teams game. Essendon by 3.

Rate McCarthy. IIRC a few on this board suggested we get him last year.

I'm one of the few who rated port to improve a lot before the preseason started. I had them at around 9 wins at that stage.

But they're playing interstate this one, and the bombers have also improved in my view. I think Essendon will win, and if Trengove and Gray don't come in Essendon will win by a lot.

Trengove is the important one. With Crameri/Ryder/Hurley combo up forward, Port will be quite streched down back. (I also know Crameri isn't that tall but he has great hands overhead/plays taller than he actually is).

I would say Essendon by 80 points.
In : Lonergan
Out : Hocking (conc)

80 points? What are you smoking?

When was the last time we beat a team we were expected to beat by 80 points? OK, the Gold Coast massacre last year but that was the exception...

I think Port are reading a little too much into their home win against a declining St Kilda. Yes, they were definitely more impressive & harder than they were in 2011 (but that wouldn't of been too difficult) but Essendon would of steamrolled the Saints if they played that sort of footy, much like we have the last few years.

Port are also on the road (where as I said they haven't performed well at all recently) & coming off a short break. Will be interesting to see how we go about this.

I think Port are reading a little too much into their home win against a declining St Kilda. Yes, they were definitely more impressive & harder than they were in 2011 (but that wouldn't of been too difficult) but Essendon would of steamrolled the Saints if they played that sort of footy, much like we have the last few years.
Not really considering so much the St Kilda game at this stage to be honest. We played well, and a much better brand of Football but the Saints were pretty average. In saying that, we let about 4 or 5 very silly goals go through, we should have won by at least 20 points.

If you have watched us over the pre-season you will see we have played a different brand of Football, and the additions of Ebert and McCarthy have really strengthened our midfield. Our players have put on an average of 2.5-3kgs of muscle each, and we actually have a game plan this year which seems to be working.

We have a pretty complete list at the moment, and minimal injuries. Pittard, Lobbe, Renouf the standout injuries from the group.

Trengove and Gray both out last week (Our B&F Winner, and our Leading Goal Kicker from 2011) were two big losses, but both may come back in this week giving us pretty much a full strength squad.

I dont think any of us are getting to far ahead of ourselves, every team has improved in the off-season and though we have aswell - it wont be enough to overtake everyone.

Will try not to over-rate our team, but I wouldn't suggest anyone should under-rate us this year either based on previous years.

This week is our biggest test of the year, and cant wait to see how both teams perform. Good luck lads :thumbsu:.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back