Essendon vow enough is enough

Remove this Banner Ad

The irony is too that if they just shutup and won games, the media hype and adoration would be enormous.

You can kinda get it with 'Northball' as they need puff-piece articles selling the future more than anybody. They're irrelevant, and when they are talked about, it's not for anything good.

Essendon don't have that problem. They'll be talked about win, lose, or draw...but they can dictate how that discussion takes place by just winning games.

I don't even mind the whole 'Essendon edge' thing...but keep it behind closed doors. Every club has their own slogan for their brand of footy, it's just most of them are smart enough to not say it publicly.

If you're talking about it before the results have come though, you're just setting yourself up for criticism.

coming from a club that cheats the salary cap, high relevant it seems.

good luck come 2028

What's that?

trying to top up in order to take it to the 'next' level even when he doesn't have the list.

At least when he was a kangas, he had players like harvey (alltime great), wells, goldstein (alltime great), thompson, firrito, petrie, swallow already established and then added ziebell cunnington as top youngsters then had free agents in dal santo, higgins, waite topping up.

Core list at bombers is nowhere near our list back in 2010 so what's happening right now is not a surprise.

trying to top up in order to take it to the 'next' level even when he doesn't have the list.

At least when he was a kangas, he had players like harvey (alltime great), wells, goldstein (alltime great), thompson, firrito, petrie, swallow already established and then added ziebell cunnington as top youngsters then had free agents in dal santo, higgins, waite topping up.

Core list at bombers is nowhere near our list back in 2010 so what's happening right now is not a surprise.

Not at all. I mean for one thing Essendon weren’t “topping up”, they had literally just sabotaged Rutten by having $2 million in cap space in his final year.

It’s more a necessity they went out and addressed key depth areas (tall backs, small forwards) with senior players as clearly Reid, Hayes, Davey etc are a long way off being reliable week in week out senior players. Plus they needed to hit cap minimums.

The real scandal is not in Scott seeking senior players out, it’s how mismanaged and cheap/tight Essendon were off field for Rutten. They should be breaking the bank off field - yet they only had 40% of the development coaches under Rutten (a young inexperienced coach) they did under Scott. All while having one of the youngest lists. Crazy - if you have a young list, you invest in development…not Essendon..

Conspiracist in me says the board (lead by Sheedy) was happy to not support Rutten, in the hopes they could land Hird who would never go without.

Well the bombers have been proven right. They are no longer classed as being mediocre, you can now class them as laughing stock.

Not at all. I mean for one thing Essendon weren’t “topping up”, they had literally just sabotaged Rutten by having $2 million in cap space in his final year.

It’s more a necessity they went out and addressed key depth areas (tall backs, small forwards) with senior players as clearly Reid, Hayes, Davey etc are a long way off being reliable week in week out senior players. Plus they needed to hit cap minimums.

The real scandal is not in Scott seeking senior players out, it’s how mismanaged and cheap/tight Essendon were off field for Rutten. They should be breaking the bank off field - yet they only had 40% of the development coaches under Rutten (a young inexperienced coach) they did under Scott. All while having one of the youngest lists. Crazy - if you have a young list, you invest in development…not Essendon..

Conspiracist in me says the board (lead by Sheedy) was happy to not support Rutten, in the hopes they could land Hird who would never go without.

I don't disagree, if anything, very likely, sheedy has always wanted hird back but they wanted clarkson only to get scott and is prob the best out there at that time.

SmartSelect_20240810_222527_Reddit.jpg
Fighting to keep their season alive, in the final quarter against a team that hasn't won away from home all season, they have 19 inside 50s for 1.9 with stringer and draper missing very gettable set shots, and stringer and Merret missing very gettable snaps.

enough is enough

View attachment 2074947
Fighting to keep their season alive, in the final quarter against a team that hasn't won away from home all season, they have 19 inside 50s for 1.9 with stringer and draper missing very gettable set shots, and stringer and Merret missing very gettable snaps.

enough is enough

Season gone pew pew

(Log in to remove this ad.)

This will be the 22nd year in a row that we have finished 7th or lower on the ladder. Every year from 2003-2024 inclusive.

22 years in a row.

To put that in perspective, there is a 33% chance of finishing 1st-6th, and a 66% chance of finishing 7th-18th. So, the 66% chance has come up 22 years in a row, assuming all clubs have an equal chance in a salary cap/draft competition.

The chance of this happening is 1 in 9,345

So, either we are incredibly unlucky, or there is something very, very wrong.

The incredible part is, during those entire 22 years, I've missed two games - Round one 2010 versus Geelong when I was best man at a wedding. And another in 2007 versus Adelaide at Marvel, when I was playing in a Grand Final myself. Something tells me I haven't really got value for money. Glutton for punishment.

This will be the 22nd year in a row that we have finished 7th or lower on the ladder. Every year from 2003-2024 inclusive.

22 years in a row.

To put that in perspective, there is a 33% chance of finishing 1st-6th, and a 66% chance of finishing 7th-18th. So, the 66% chance has come up 22 years in a row, assuming all clubs have an equal chance in a salary cap/draft competition.

The incredible part is, during those entire 22 years, I've missed two games - Round one 2010 versus Geelong when I was best man at a wedding. And another in 2007 versus Adelaide at Marvel, when I was playing in a Grand Final myself. Something tells me I haven't really got value for money. Glutton for punishment.
My god. They don't deserve a supporter like you.

View attachment 2074947

enough is enough
That celebration still goes hard

22 years in a row.

Wowzers. That's some loyalty.

22 years in a row.

Bit harsh. Odds would be a bit better than that. Maybe 1 in 9,000! It was after all a 16 team comp until 2010. Don’t be so hard on the bombers 🙂

Bit harsh. Odds would be a bit better than that. Maybe 1 in 9,000! It was after all a 16 team comp until 2010. Don’t be so hard on the bombers 🙂

Actually the fact that the comp was a 16 team league (and 17 for one season) makes the odds blow out to more than 10,000.

In a competition with fewer teams, it should be theoretically easier to finish in the top-6, so not being able to do it in a 16-team comp makes the "achievement" even worse.

Edit:

Chance of finishing 7th or worse in 18-team league: 66.66% (13 years.....2012-2024)
Chance of finishing 7th or worse in 17-team league: 64.71% (1 year........2011)
Chance of finishing 7th or worse in a 16-team league: 62.5% (8 years......2003-2010)

1 in 14,749

22 years in a row.

I think you might have jinxed them Dan48.

Remove this Banner Ad

Essendon vow enough is enough

Remove this Banner Ad

Back