Mega Thread Essendon vs Richmond - Matchday Discussion

Remove this Banner Ad

Re: Essendon vs Richmond - Team Discussion

I agree with most of the post especially the neither here nor there comments regarding what we are trying to achieve this season.

I actually enjoyed our first 9 games last season more than I have enjoyed this season, atleast you could see we were trying to be bold and take the game on... This season...well no.

List management wise I'm dumb founded also .......

Was Nason just going to be a one year wonder???? a player picked to fill a gap for 1 year??? because he can kick? Then there is Tuck....

Does 4 and half wins get us a second rnd priority pick??? maybe that is the plan now?

In hindsight the loss of Taylor, Roberts and with Nason going backwards, swapping Shulz for farmer and failing to pick 1 ruck for long term development has shown the 2009 pre-season as a big step backwards.

Yes it does but that is moot as we are on 5.5 wins, we cant even tank properly......dumb dumb dumb hierarchy.

Re: Hardwick a man of his word

In response to CamSmith (loved the name BTW), this year was another year for development for our players. It would seem the paradigm has shifted in the eyes of the supporters, and a few posters have got their own personal ambitions ahead of where the team is really at.
Dimma can't win can he. He plays Miller, gets slammed for not playing a kid ie: Post, he plays a kid like Batchelor, he gets slammed for not playing Tuck. It is clear Tuck, Morton, Gourdis, Thursfield and a couple of others are finished at the club. Dimma in point of fact has stayed true to playing the kids in over 90% of the games. Our best backline would include Grimes, Moore and dare i suggest it Astbury. Miller has been given game time as biggie Griffiths can't get 100% fit. His actual selections make sense bar one, i still can't work out our ruck selections. So yes while our last month has been frustrating, we are still ahead of last year results wise and development wise.
I'm not bagging you or BJ17, but finals is so off the mark for this year and possibly next year as well. In three years (so i'm including the end of this season) Dimma will have cleaned out 80% of the list he initially inherited. What do you really expect of kids in their 2nd and 3rd and next year first seasons?
Razor - you are wrong on the call on Hardwick in your post.
I don't expect perfomances of last week end, but i don't expect a flag in two years time either.
So, in response to my original post, play the players who played last week end, because they will stamp their own papers, and we will see who is fair dinkum in playing for the club.

I think there's a fair chance there will be a late withdrawal (is Griffiths 100% ???) and Graham/Browne will come in.
Trying to go smaller against us is a fair enough ploy, but you need more than one part-timer.

Gee , wouldn't people get upset if a coach spent the first two years , sorting out the list , ensuring all players adhere to the game plan and making sure all players under 25 are given exposure to more than one position .
How terrible it will be to come into next season with the list sorted out , more rounded players and the game plan sorted ?
Also can someone point out to me , to avoid affecting rotations , where Tuck can play when not in the midfield ??

I am in disbelief

grigg hislop thursfield mguane are at best c grade players.

are we tanking?

Can anyone identify where the Grigg love fell away. Sure I saw a thread some time ago already wanting to celebrate a win over Carlton at the trade table. Last two weeks Ive seen a bloke who had many friends with the exception he is on a nice "pay you extra to nominate us" pay packet.

Thursfield should at least get another week regardless of how Goo feels about it.

Maguane is unfortunately required.

In response to CamSmith (loved the name BTW), this year was another year for development for our players. It would seem the paradigm has shifted in the eyes of the supporters, and a few posters have got their own personal ambitions ahead of where the team is really at.
Dimma can't win can he. He plays Miller, gets slammed for not playing a kid ie: Post, he plays a kid like Batchelor, he gets slammed for not playing Tuck. It is clear Tuck, Morton, Gourdis, Thursfield and a couple of others are finished at the club. Dimma in point of fact has stayed true to playing the kids in over 90% of the games. Our best backline would include Grimes, Moore and dare i suggest it Astbury. Miller has been given game time as biggie Griffiths can't get 100% fit. His actual selections make sense bar one, i still can't work out our ruck selections. So yes while our last month has been frustrating, we are still ahead of last year results wise and development wise.
I'm not bagging you or BJ17, but finals is so off the mark for this year and possibly next year as well. In three years (so i'm including the end of this season) Dimma will have cleaned out 80% of the list he initially inherited. What do you really expect of kids in their 2nd and 3rd and next year first seasons?
Razor - you are wrong on the call on Hardwick in your post.
I don't expect perfomances of last week end, but i don't expect a flag in two years time either.
So, in response to my original post, play the players who played last week end, because they will stamp their own papers, and we will see who is fair dinkum in playing for the club.

:thumbsu:THINK this team slection will appease those who bang on week after week about 'development, development, development' and it all being about the future.
Funny how a few wins changes people's perceptions.
If it's about development ... Vickery in the ruck is the right move, continuing to play Helbig is an eye to the future, Conca and Batchelor need game time as opposed to a rest and Griff and Post must be persisted with.
We all know Helbig isn't ready, Vickery IS a key forward and has made the position his own this year etc. etc.
But most of you want devlopment and a higher pick in the draft.

:thumbsu:THINK this team slection will appease those who bang on week after week about 'development, development, development' and it all being about the future.
Funny how a few wins changes people's perceptions.
If it's about development ... Vickery in the ruck is the right move, continuing to play Helbig is an eye to the future, Conca and Batchelor need game time as opposed to a rest and Griff and Post must be persisted with.
We all know Helbig isn't ready, Vickery IS a key forward and has made the position his own this year etc. etc.
But most of you want devlopment and a higher pick in the draft.

Understand that Goldie, but I have to say that his first couple of games showed a few signs, but in his last couple has seemed completely lost and not up to it.
Would have thought he is one that could benefit from playing in the 2s.
I am not suggesting anything more than for his and the clubs future benefit.
But i guess they know what they are doing so we keep on watching for signs. ;)

Helbig isn't ready, but I don't think Farmer will ever be ready. I'm not quite sure which side your standing with Goldust but I agree with most of it. I think coming into this year everyone thought it was for development, a few wins and finals are a chance, but realistically we aren't anywhere near a good enough side.

I'm pretty surprised Griff is getting a shot in the ruck, but he looked good in a few contests last week. I'll be more surprised if he does any centre square ruck work though. I am looking forward to going this week to see the young guys have a real solid crack. One can only hope. I'd rather go and watch the future than the past.

I agree.

Helbig looked great early with his aggression and goal kicking, but his decisions and skills have been pretty awful since then

He will be a good player, but you have to walk before you can run. I think long term, sticking him in the guts a Cobutg is better then hiding him in a pocket at AFL level

There were two legitimate ways we could have worked towards future success this year.

The first way was to play our best side, push for finals, have our forwardline develop properly with enough ball coming in, have our backline develop properly instead of being in a constant state of siege, have our young midfield 'stars' properly supported with game time in the centre appropriate to their age and physical development, and have our players learning in as successful, positive environment as possible.

The second way was, after deciding that playing our best-22 wasn't going to take us forward beyond this year, to play sides purely for development's sake, finish with four wins or under, and head back to the draft with as good a picks as possible. This way also MUST have included a much more aggressive list cull at the end of last year, no indefensible, stupid shit like taking Miller, retaining Thursfield etc., or keeping Tuck just for the fun of taunting him with being first emergency each week, and by doing this deeper list cull, get as many kids drafted last year as possible.

ANY other result, except perhaps narrowly missing finals and giving it a really good shake, amounts to a MASSIVE tactical failure we can ill-afford.

Somehow, instead of simple, common sense, obvious to all with a clue, we got the 'Dimmer Switch' way - sketchy, totally illogical decisions, no finals, compromised development, a probable nowhere hand in the draft (or fuming supporters feeling let down after being built up, take your pick), the club publicly humiliated on one of the most important days in our history, and a bloke who boasted that 'the jumper will never hit the floor while I'm here' dealing with that very sensitive issue for supporters by simply pretending it never happened.

People are only still defending this madness because they can't bear to accept the fact that we're in the middle of contract extension talks with a bloke who in all likelihood, based on the evidence we have at hand, has NFI what he's doing. Not just an occasional slip up here and there, we're talking frequent, epic lapses of judgement which are starting to snowball.

The last season we could afford to have is the one we're having - it's halfway to nowhere in all directions.

I've pretty much had enough of watching and I'm sure I won't be alone by the end of this year or well before. I can handle watching players make mistakes, I can't handle watching them having to go around likely losers in very winnable games simply because the coaching staff are half-smart amateurs who can't even get the simplest of things right.

Most of us have never put more of our hard earned dollars into the club than we have this year, and I for one can honestly say, it's impossible to remember a season with less justification for being so disappointing. It's not about the results, it's not even about last week's result, it's about the really poor way we're doing things - neither here nor there, just a whole lot of nowhere, man-fetish rubbish, overseen by a pack of morons.

Hardwick began as the coach who gave us Relton Roberts fanging down on a burger and no fitter than many of us as an example of a bloke he thought was ready to play league football - IMO, it's fair to say that his judgement hasn't improved one iota in the time since then, he may even have drifted further into the realms of delusion, which is truly something special considering that epic howler, in his debut match no less.

Maybe the writing really was on the wall that long ago...

Dude, stop hiding inside threads and bare your arse and put up the first of the...SACK DIMMA threads.
Go on..show us your real culture, the one that has ruled the roost for the last 2 decades, with the constant backing up of irrelevant to the big picture players and then a consistent attack on a coach who is in year 1.5 of his tenure.
Every coach your pin up boy Tuck has played under has at one time or another wanted to move him on.
They all to a man couldnt because there were no takers, becasuse all those who might have took, see what you dont see and dont see what you see. Now you are calling for the coach's head, because the coach has the balls to draw a line in the sand and say no, we do it his way. He aint pssing us up with knee jerk reactions to appease you and other living in the past supporters, he will cop the heat and see this plan out.
It aint any different to the shit clarko went through when he swept through the dawk list when he took over.
He copped shit week in week out, because he played 2 young players in KPP roles, while they had another senior player copping 300K+ in the 2s for the whole year, taking mark after mark as well, while the young dawks were losing. ;)

There were two legitimate ways we could have worked towards future success this year.

The first way was to play our best side, push for finals, have our forwardline develop properly with enough ball coming in, have our backline develop properly instead of being in a constant state of siege, have our young midfield 'stars' properly supported with game time in the centre appropriate to their age and physical development, and have our players learning in as successful, positive environment as possible.

The second way was, after deciding that playing our best-22 wasn't going to take us forward beyond this year, to play sides purely for development's sake, finish with four wins or under, and head back to the draft with as good a picks as possible. This way also MUST have included a much more aggressive list cull at the end of last year, no indefensible, stupid shit like taking Miller, retaining Thursfield etc., or keeping Tuck just for the fun of taunting him with being first emergency each week, and by doing this deeper list cull, get as many kids drafted last year as possible.

ANY other result, except perhaps narrowly missing finals and giving it a really good shake, amounts to a MASSIVE tactical failure we can ill-afford.

Somehow, instead of simple, common sense, obvious to all with a clue, we got the 'Dimmer Switch' way - sketchy, totally illogical decisions, no finals, compromised development, a probable nowhere hand in the draft (or fuming supporters feeling let down after being built up, take your pick), the club publicly humiliated on one of the most important days in our history, and a bloke who boasted that 'the jumper will never hit the floor while I'm here' dealing with that very sensitive issue for supporters by simply pretending it never happened.

People are only still defending this madness because they can't bear to accept the fact that we're in the middle of contract extension talks with a bloke who in all likelihood, based on the evidence we have at hand, has NFI what he's doing. Not just an occasional slip up here and there, we're talking frequent, epic lapses of judgement which are starting to snowball.

The last season we could afford to have is the one we're having - it's halfway to nowhere in all directions.

I've pretty much had enough of watching and I'm sure I won't be alone by the end of this year or well before. I can handle watching players make mistakes, I can't handle watching them having to go around likely losers in very winnable games simply because the coaching staff are half-smart amateurs who can't even get the simplest of things right.

Most of us have never put more of our hard earned dollars into the club than we have this year, and I for one can honestly say, it's impossible to remember a season with less justification for being so disappointing. It's not about the results, it's not even about last week's result, it's about the really poor way we're doing things - neither here nor there, just a whole lot of nowhere, man-fetish rubbish, overseen by a pack of morons.

Hardwick began as the coach who gave us Relton Roberts fanging down on a burger and no fitter than many of us as an example of a bloke he thought was ready to play league football - IMO, it's fair to say that his judgement hasn't improved one iota in the time since then, he may even have drifted further into the realms of delusion, which is truly something special considering that epic howler, in his debut match no less.

Maybe the writing really was on the wall that long ago...

Brilliant post :thumbsu:

I agree there was always two paths to take - Picking the best side to win, or developing the youngsters. The match committee / Coach have taken neither path. It's not even a combination of the two. To outsiders, we look like were are tanking by not picking the best side, or developing the kids.

We can still make the eight - yet we are not picking the best possible side
We are not last - so there is no need to load up on kids

So why not create a "winning" culture by combining the BEST performed kids with the BEST possible side ?

Shane Tuck has been out of favor for two years - ever since he was told Adam Thomson was "ahead of him". Miller won't be part of the next premiership, he is there purely for leadership and presence. So why Miller, and not Tuck ? We actually wanted Cousins to stay on with our young developing midfield and he was older than Tuck. So it's not ONLY an issue with his age. In fact, I don't care how old a player is, if they can still play, and are in our best 22, they should be out there CREATING the winning culture for the kids to be a part of.

I think we are already playing ALL the kids that can play at this level already. The only exception is Helbig - He looks overwhelmed and will need more time at Coburg. Conca will be a star, as long as his game time is managed (which I think the club are doing very well). Bachelor is a real find for us - composed under pressure and great decision maker. Then we have the other older kids - Martin, Vickery, Nason, Astbury, Griffiths, Rance - these kids are growing into their roles - which is fantastic - but we are still thin on kids coming through. So are we already playing ALL the development players ?

Surely we can't be casting an eye over Hislop, Thursfield & McGuane. We have stamped Tuck's papers, so why are these guys getting a game ahead of Gourdis and Nason ? I know Morton has had time off, but surely, at this point of the season, he would be more value than Helbig and Grigg ?

I understand there is a fine line between picking "the best possible team" and picking a "development team", but the last two teams picked (Carlton and Essendon) have been neither. All I ask, as a member, is that we develop a winning culture for the kids to grow into. I don't think we are doing that, and I'm frustrated to the point where the year has been wasted - and we can still "mathematically" make the finals.

With the players available, I would have Nason, Tuck, Webberly, Graham in, and Grigg, Helbig, Browne and Hislop out. Farmer was OK against Carlton.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I agree there was always two paths to take - Picking the best side to win, or developing the youngsters. The match committee / Coach have taken neither path. It's not even a combination of the two. To outsiders, we look like were are tanking by not picking the best side, or developing the kids.

So why not create a "winning" culture by combining the BEST performed kids with the BEST possible side ?

Shane Tuck has been out of favor for two years - ever since he was told Adam Thomson was "ahead of him". Miller won't be part of the next premiership, he is there purely for leadership and presence. So why Miller, and not Tuck ? We actually wanted Cousins to stay on with our young developing midfield and he was older than Tuck. So it's not ONLY an issue with his age. In fact, I don't care how old a player is, if they can still play, and are in our best 22, they should be out there CREATING the winning culture for the kids to be a part of.

I think we are already playing ALL the kids that can play at this level already. The only exception is Helbig - He looks overwhelmed and will need more time at Coburg. Conca will be a star, as long as his game time is managed (which I think the club are doing very well). Bachelor is a real find for us - composed under pressure and great decision maker. Then we have the other older kids - Martin, Vickery, Nason, Astbury, Griffiths, Rance - these kids are growing into their roles - which is fantastic - but we are still thin on kids coming through. So are we already playing ALL the development players ?

Surely we can't be casting an eye over Hislop, Thursfield & McGuane. We have stamped Tuck's papers, so why are these guys getting a game ahead of Gourdis and Nason ? I know Morton has had time off, but surely, at this point of the season, he would be more value than Helbig and Grigg ?

I understand there is a fine line between picking "the best possible team" and picking a "development team", but the last two teams picked (Carlton and Essendon) have been neither. All I ask, as a member, is that we develop a winning culture for the kids to grow into. I don't think we are doing that, and I'm frustrated to the point where the year has been wasted - and we can still "mathematically" make the finals.

With the players available, I would have Nason, Tuck, Webberly, Graham in, and Grigg, Helbig, Browne and Hislop out. Farmer was OK against Carlton.

Absolutely true we arent developing and we arnt tanking, I guess the club is satisfied in being a lower middle of the road club...

And the prodevelopment supporters amongst us cant come up with a rational reason for hislop, farmer thursfield and Mcguane being in the side.

Yet they constantly spew development out of their mouths.

If we were developing then those duds wouldnt bee in the side, but the club, and that includes coaching staff have favourites.

Players should be made to earn a game.

Man, there are as yet to be discovered civilizations in other galaxies that know why they wanted Cousins even though he is older. I can assure you without a ****ing doubt, it aint got anything to do with age. Outside tip tends to sway me to the skill and talent level, just...only just...LMAO...some people have NFI...;)

Cut it out Cogga , what shit is Dimma copping?

We have turned him into a messiah who can do no wrong.........but as i said before my ban why was hislop and farmer playing out of full forward against the demons?

Surely that wasnt development.

Understand that Goldie, but I have to say that his first couple of games showed a few signs, but in his last couple has seemed completely lost and not up to it.
Would have thought he is one that could benefit from playing in the 2s.
I am not suggesting anything more than for his and the clubs future benefit.
But i guess they know what they are doing so we keep on watching for signs. ;)

I believe the term is "all at sea". I am convinced young Helbig needs to be back at Coburg right now learning the caper as opposed to being out of his depth at AFL level!

Cut it out Cogga , what shit is Dimma copping?

We have turned him into a messiah who can do no wrong.........but as i said before my ban why was hislop and farmer playing out of full forward against the demons?

Surely that wasnt development.

There are tigerheads suggesting its an insult, there are covert reasons etc etc etc that Tuck aint getting a game. Then you get a Erayzor's post, which is a veiled "sack the coach" post, after 1 1/2 years...because he is trying, experimenting with the new and not wanting to know about the old, been there done that. The tigers won 4 straight last year, went close to making it 5, after being touted as not much better than a b grade VFL side. Now all of a sudden because we beat teams we should have and got beaten by teams that should have beaten us, copped one arse ripping, whereas last year they were ripping our arses at will..the coach is not doing the right job? Get real..FFS. The only criticism i have with Dimma is that he has got caught nurturing the team with positives instead of starting to send rockets up their arses. Last week's debacle wasnt about our skill level, it was about the team not getting up for the game. Its a lesson for the coach and I know he will learn from it as well. ;)

I'm honestly baffled :confused:

I can understand the whole tuck v younger players argument, but when it comes to the whole 'player development argument' then why is...

Gourdis not playing?
Webberly not playing?
Nason not playing?
Graham not playing?

I wish the 'direct from Dimma' e-mail would shed some light on this?

i think everyone is getting over-excited about the play tuck argument. Bottom line is yes he can extract the ball but it's what does with it next that has killed his career. Fact is he has no skills, no awareness, and no scoreboard impact. Won't be there next year so no point in playing him just to win a couple of games here and there.

I believe the term is "all at sea". I am convinced young Helbig needs to be back at Coburg right now learning the caper as opposed to being out of his depth at AFL level!

I really feel for Helbig. There would be pressure on him to perform, and in all honesty, he is out of his depth in the Seniors. I have faith that he will be a player in 2-3 years time, but he is no Dustin Martin. He won't make an impact this year, and could be exposed to more seasoned opponents. I'd rather see Tuck or Farmer cop the heavy hits, not Helbig. I hope he does not become the new "whipping boy". The way the Carlton boys went after him last week and there was NO support from his team mates. I look forward to seeing him develop over time, rather than seeing him in the side because we won't play Farmer, Morton, Tuck etc..

Absolutely true we arent developing and we arnt tanking, I guess the club is satisfied in being a lower middle of the road club...

And the prodevelopment supporters amongst us cant come up with a rational reason for hislop, farmer thursfield and Mcguane being in the side.

Yet they constantly spew development out of their mouths.

If we were developing then those duds wouldnt bee in the side, but the club, and that includes coaching staff have favourites.

Players should be made to earn a game.

Hislop plays HFF with very limited time in the middle. Thursfield and McGuane are playing because Astbury Moore and Grimes are injured. Rance is keeping Gourdis out of the side as both are full backs. Farmer was playing small forward/defender. Given the likes of Moore Astbury Grimes Griffiths Morton Connors Dea O'Rielly have all been unavailable for various reasons and others have been given a shot and either failed or didn't take their chance I'm not sure what people expect us to do other than keep turning players over.

i think everyone is getting over-excited about the play tuck argument. Bottom line is yes he can extract the ball but it's what does with it next that has killed his career. Fact is he has no skills, no awareness, and no scoreboard impact. Won't be there next year so no point in playing him just to win a couple of games here and there.

Is Hislop any better? Is that what Dimma is trying to find out?

Same with Farmer, i actually rate Tuck way higher than Farmer & Hislop.

I'm just confused as there are contradictions in selections IMO

Ridiculous not selecting Graham unless he is also injured. Now we are throwing Vickory to the wolves when he has been arguably our best forward in the last 6 weeks. If he cops an injury this will just show how amateur our selectors are being.

It also means that Conca was rested not dropped because Coburg had the bye last week. Interesting. I felt he needed a game in the 2's just rebuild some confidence.

This week will confirm that we are not interested a all in making the eight.

What might seem like a loss in confidence from the outside could just general soreness and fatigue. Especially if your head drops because your body can't do what the mind wants. Crameri started this year like a house on fire, some bombers were talking up the possibility of AA, but his form tailed off badly. Well he had a rest two weeks ago and came back last week as was excellent against Geelong.

Conca is a young man and maybe the rest will freshen him up. I wouldn't jugde that call till you see him play this week.

I hope he gets a defensive forward role on Heppell. It would be an interesting match up.

Gee , wouldn't people get upset if a coach spent the first two years , sorting out the list , ensuring all players adhere to the game plan and making sure all players under 25 are given exposure to more than one position .
How terrible it will be to come into next season with the list sorted out , more rounded players and the game plan sorted ?
Also can someone point out to me , to avoid affecting rotations , where Tuck can play when not in the midfield ??

Resting Fwd - tall strong mark excellent set shot, can stand Ruck whilst Browne wanders back to the centre / pick up his man, pinch hit. is strong enough to play on opp talls, and very good at ground, although hasnt had much of a go at this as he is a champion extractor, and has been doing this since he cracked the side. Ok we might not have a ruck at all this week (if Griff does play and Gus misses) - well Tucky cld be sharing the pinch hitting w Posty and Viks.

too old - well...remains to be seen really doesnt it. If, in 3 years he is still performing, and I reckon thats a reasonable prospect, well...wrong! Not too old.
We are still an outside chance to play finals this year, although Id say we have more pressing concerns, longer term.

This year is clearly about development and looking at the list, but, noone has stepped up to do what Tucky has been and still does - get the red thing!

Bear in mind that noone is hitting him on the chest, making space for him, waiting for him to run in in a set play - he mostly has to get the ball himself, from the BEST PLAYERS THE OPPOSITION HAS. Reckon he has done well over the years and still going strong.

Hope to see more of him, but generally glad to see some youngsters getting games.

More concerned about Goo only getting 1 game, but
keen to see Thursty & McG line up together again - hope they both play with a little extra confidence.

Remove this Banner Ad

Mega Thread Essendon vs Richmond - Matchday Discussion

Remove this Banner Ad

Back