Preview Essendon vs Sydney, Docklands, Friday 27/07/18 @ 7:50 PM

How many will Buddy kick?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Observations

Essendon: A rusty start for the Dons against Fremantle was doubled down by Shaun McKernan going down with what seems like a serious hamstring injury, however the Bombers recovered well to record a 5 goal win against the Dockers. Orazio Fantasia and Mitch Brown were excellent for the Bombers, kicking 8 goals between them whilst Zach Merrett had 28 disposals through the middle.

Sydney: Raced out to a 29 point lead early against Gold Coast but going goalless during the two middle stanza's allowed Gold Coast to run away to a four goal drought breaking win. Josh Kennedy was prolific in the middle with 33 disposals and a whopping 10 clearances whilst Tom Papley was lively inside 50, kicking 3 goals for the Swans.

Head to Head (last 5)

Essendon 0-5 Sydney

Form Guide

Essendon: 4W 1L
Sydney: 2W 3L

Sportsbet odds

Essendon: $1.84
Sydney: $1.97
Line: 1.5 ($1.92)

Possible sides

Essendon vs Sydney

B: Hurley - Hartley - McNiece
F: McCartin - Cameron - Papley
HB: Goddard - Dea - Saad
HF: Hayward - Franklin - Parker
C: McGrath - Langford - Z Merrett
C: Jones - Kennedy - Florent
HF: Zaharakis - Brown - McDonald-Tipungwuti
HB: Rampe - Grundy - Lloyd
F: Fantasia - Hooker - Stewart
B: Smith - Aliir - Marsh
R: Bellchambers - D Smith - Heppell
R: Sinclair - Hewett - Heeney
I: Myers - Baguley - Guelfi - Parish
I: Dawson - O'Riordan - Ronke - Cunningham

Essendon in: Stewart, Hartley; Out: McKernan (inj), Colyer (omit)
Sydney in: Grundy, Dawson; Out: Newman (omit), Fox (omit)

Sydney defence vs Essendon forward line

Essendon's forward line dipped significantly for forward efficiency so far this season, rating of 23%, well below the 28% they had in 2017. Sydney's defence is the best in the league in preventing opposition kicking goals when they enter the 50, conceding a goal only 18% of the time it enters their defensive 50. Dane Rampe is the main man coming out of defence for the Swans, and a return from Heath Grundy could be important to quell Cale Hooker, who is likely to move forward with the injury to Shaun McKernan for the Bombers. Orazio Fantasia presents to be another important figure for the Dons, the small forward kicking 16 goals in 10 games this season and returning with 5 goals against Fremantle, but will face the toughest small defender in the league in Nick Smith, an exciting battle for the game.

Midfield/rucks battle

The midfield has been the big improvement for Essendon from round 9 onwards, so much so that they've climbed to 2nd in terms of clearance differential from 15th and 6th in contested possession from 14th. Sydney have had a drop off in this area this year, currently 10th and 7th in these areas respectively when they usually are up in the top 4 in both areas. Josh Kennedy will be the most important player for the Swans in the middle, their captain enjoys playing Essendon, averaging a whopping 33 disposals against the Bombers from the last 5 games, and will be a good battle with Dyson Heppell who has lifted in the past 8 games. Zach Merrett and Devon Smith will also be important for the quality they've brought inside the middle, but don't underestimate the presence of Isaac Heeney in the middle for the Swans who is having a year that seems to be flying under the radar a bit, and George Hewett will likely tag the former of the Essendon duo this year. Rucks wise, Tom Bellchambers is having a career best year in both hitouts to advantage and around the ground, however so is Callum Sinclair. May be critical to see who wins the ball out of the middle.

Sydney forward line vs Essendon defence

Essendon's defence has been under a lot of pressure this season, but has improved on what they were doing last season, conceding a goal 22% of the time it enters defensive 50. Sydney have been an above average forward line this year, averaging a tad over 24% in terms of goals/inside 50. The main man for the Swans here is, as usual, Buddy Franklin, who loves feasting on Essendon, the superstar averaging 5 goals/game against the Bombers. Michael Hurley is the obvious match up however Michael Hartley managed to be the first Don to keep him goalless ever. Sydney have a trio of impressive small forwards in Tom Papley, Will Hayward and Ben Ronke have been an impressive 3 player punch as small forwards for Sydney, and the likes of Ben McNiece, Matt Dea and Adam Saad respectively, will be an interesting battle.

X-Factor Player

Oliver Florent is a second year player who has quietly put in a very good year for the Swans. He's a class unit and his kicking skills are among the best in the Sydney side. Watch this space.

Key stat

Essendon: Clearances. When Essendon win the clearances they win the game the vast majority of the time, and when they lose they rarely get the win.

Sydney: Defensive conversion. Sydney are at their best when they're stopping the opposition getting much inside 50. Need to step this up against the Dons.

Tip

I want to get the drought breaking win, but I don't see it. Swans by 27

Sydney play Etihad superbly well so it will be a real challenge for us. That said if we can take the good things we did against the Dockers and improve on our efficiency going forward and reduce turnovers in critical areas of the ground I'd give us some chance.

Whilst it won't make up for a finals belting, I'd love to get a win back here just to give them a little something back.

Its an absolutely pivotal game for both sides. Sydney would not be happy with a loss to Gold Coast. Which is a hard to believe it happened type loss. Probably on the same level as us losing to Carlton. So it will be interesting to see how they respond.

Either way, we need to win if we are to play finals. What better way to set the stage than by beating the team that kicked us out last year.

I never thought I would ever say this, but our midfield should be too strong for Sydney's :drunk:

I really don't know what happened to their midfield tbh. I can't pinpoint it.
To win the game, it's a matter of kicking straight and lowering the eyes when going inside 50.

We need to make some unforced changes because our forward line is not functioning well at the moment. Hopefully we bring in much needed marking targets.

IN: Stewart, Laverde, Francis, McKenna (if fit)
OUT: McKernan (inj), Colyer, Goddard (rest), McNiece

In: Stringer, McKenna, Stewart, Francis. Out: McKernan, McNiece, Colyer, Goddard (managed)

Francis Hooker Dea
McKenna Hurley Saad
Merrett Heppell Zaharakis
Stringer Brown Fantasia
Baguley Stewart Tipungwuti
Bellchambers Langford Smith
Myers Guelfi Parish McGrath

In Stewart, Stringer/Mckenna
Out Mckernan, Colyer

Won't drop Goddard or pick inexperienced players like Francis or Long for this.

I never thought I would ever say this, but our midfield should be too strong for Sydney's :drunk:

I really don't know what happened to their midfield tbh. I can't pinpoint it.
To win the game, it's a matter of kicking straight and lowering the eyes when going inside 50.

We need to make some unforced changes because our forward line is not functioning well at the moment. Hopefully we bring in much needed marking targets.

IN: Stewart, Laverde, Francis, McKenna (if fit)
OUT: McKernan (inj), Colyer, Goddard (rest), McNiece
They are missing Jack and Hannebery from their midfield. Unfortunately for us, Jack is likely to return this week.

Also Kennedy appears to go through a fitness test almost every week to get passed fit to play.

Parker spends more time forward than he used to.

Last edited:
McKenna’s selection for this game won’t be game changing but it will be important.

Sydney have lost one game on the road all year - to top team Richmond. This will be our best chance in some time but I still think the Swans will be too strong by 3-4 goals. :sweat:

They so often respond when their club is put under the microscope, as they will be this week. Worsfold (even in his days as West Coast coach) is yet to beat Longmire in the coaches box... 0 from 6.

So sick of being the Swans easybeats and continually getting outmuscled when the game is in the balance.
Let's go with the confidence that we have garnered from all the recent wins (albeit a lot of them ugly).
I want contested footy from the get go.
C'mon we can do this and tumble them out of the 8 for once.
A swan is just a pretty goose really.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Unfortunately, Sydney are a team we just seem to struggle with. I'd love to win of course, but I'm pessimistic about our chances even allowing for their travails of late.

In Stewart, Stringer/Mckenna
Out Mckernan, Colyer

Won't drop Goddard or pick inexperienced players like Francis or Long for this.

Having said that if both Stringer and Mckenna get up I'd add Dae to my outs.

In Stewart, Stringer, Mckenna
Out Mckernan, Colyer, Dae

I think that actually makes us quiet a lot better forward and back than yesterday if Stewart has put together some kind of form.

Wouldn't be bothered either if Hartley comes in and Hooker forward.

Last edited:
Would play Hooker forward with Stringer and Brown. Like that set up.

Hurley to Buddy and one of Franger, Ridley or BZT to be brought in and given MCCartin. Ridley for mine but others also have claims.

Assuming McKenna is fit, I’d go with:

In - McKenna, Ridley, Stringer
Out - Smack, Colyer, An unlucky third(not sure who)

Do we even need a Colyer or Green? Surely now with Parish, Zaka back we have the depth through mid to rotate these guys and McGrath, Tippa in pocket as pressure guys. Not like Colyer and Green are that much faster or better tacklers, plus these two can’t mark anyway.

And if McKenna comes back and with Dea and McNiece retained, Goddard can rotate in mid as well

Would play Hooker forward with Stringer and Brown. Like that set up.

Hurley to Buddy and one of Franger, Ridley or BZT to be brought in and given MCCartin. Ridley for mine but others also have claims.

Assuming McKenna is fit, I’d go with:

In - McKenna, Ridley, Stringer
Out - Smack, Colyer, An unlucky third(not sure who)
Stringer I doubt plays. BZT hasn't played in a fortnight, plus Hartley being named best on in the VFL may indicate he'll be the next off the ranks.

Stringer sounds like a big chance, could have played this week according to article. If he gets through training, he’ll play.
2 weeks into a supposed month long calf?

Yes. Woosher has said he was cLose this week and a big chance for Sydney.
sorely miss his presence. wouldn't rush him though. he's a bonus if he's 100% good to go.

McNiece/Dea Hooker Francis
Saad Hurley McKenna
Smith Heppell Merrett
Baguley Brown Tippa
Guelfi Stewart Fantasia
TBC Langford Myers
McGrath Goddard Zaka Parish

McNiece/Dea -> Francis.
Need a bit more thrust coming out of defence. The way to beat sydney is with speed and counter attacking football.
One of the VFL boys to make way.

McKenna -> Colyer
Small reshuffle of players to accomodate.

McKernan -> Stewart
Lose a forward, gain a forward.
Rather this than moving Hooker

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back