Preview Essendon vs West Coast, Docklands, 16/08/14 @ 4:40 PM

Who will win?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
In: Steinberg, Watson, Hibberd, Bellchambers
Out: Daniher, Dell'Olio, Howlett, Fantasia (All omitted)

B: Baguley - Hooker - Steinberg
HB: Hibberd - Carlisle - Dempsey
C: Zaharakis - Myers - Stanton
HF: Goddard - Hurley - Chapman
F: Winderlich - Bellchambers - Watson
R: Ryder - Heppell - Hocking

Int - Melksham - Kavanagh - Colyer - Z.Merrett (SUB)

Could also swap Kav for O'Brien.
Please explain how Kav is in side and Merrett is sub?

Colyer and Melksham remind me of Essendon 5 years ago; we were flashy in patches but lacked consistent defensive pressure and general ball handling and kicking skills. One of the things I've liked about Bomber over Hird is his selections week to week. Hird would choose his mates in Welsh, McVeigh, Hille over more capable players to the detriment of the team. Bomber generally drops the players out of form and promotes those worthy of being on the field. With guys like Melksham and Colyer in our team, I feel like we've taken a backwards step.

I didn't dislike Melksham in the past but I'm sick of his poor decision making, fumbliness, going to ground, shoddy defensive chases and general lack of improvement in the past few years.

Colyer is quick but his skills aren't up to the standard of the rest of the team. He doesn't know how to shrug a tackle to save himself and for a tiny bloke I don't think he has enough tricks to consistently hurt the opposition.

I would prefer we trade these two.
have u watched colyer in the past few months. His foot and hand skills are as good as anyone in the team. I would not trade him because of the MASSIVE improvement he has shown this year. Not a chance

Really looking forward to the ruck battle between Paddy & Nic Nat, always a good contest.
I look forward to it because Ryder should flog Natanui.

They are similar ruckmen in the way that they both respond positively to rucking 80% of the game. Given that Cox is playing (I assume) I think Natanui's impact will be limited.

Please explain how Kav is in side and Merrett is sub?

More about managing his load. Looked very sore at the VFL on Saturday. This is a 18 year old who has not missed a week of football.

In: Watson, Hibberd, Steinberg, Bellchambers
Out: Kavanagh, Fantasia, Daniher, Howlett

B: Steinberg, Hooker, Baguley
HB: Dempsey, Hurley, Hibberd
C: Stanton, Watson, Zaharakis
HF: Chapman, Ryder, Goddard
F: Dell'Olio, Carlisle, Winderlich
Foll: Bellchambers, Myers, Heppell
Int: Melksham, Hocking, Z.Merrett
Sub: Colyer
Emerg: Daniher, Howlett, O'Brien

Steinberg debuts - with resting ruckman, Kennedy and Darling to contend with we will need one of Fletcher or Steinberg down back.

If Watson doesn't come up then Howlett stays in or O'Brien gets a game as a midfielder.

If Hibberd doesn't come up Winderlich goes back to half back, Colyer goes to forward pocket and give Jetta a go as sub.

With Fletcher confirmed out its time for Steinberg this week

You didn't give a prediction, you gave a preference for trading those two players. One of your preferences was defensible, the other a nonsense. Just telling it like it is sorry... Feel free to continue in your partial delusion, nothing personal :)

The point stands that your view on cred and whether it's valid is meaningless. I didn't say I gave a prediction but my opinion implies a prediction given my view on his skills so if you weren't clear on that and missed the point you can take it now.

I really don't care for your barbs so don't do it as it's below the standards of behaviour set for conversations between fans on this board these days and makes it less enjoyable. Kthx.

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I thought Shuey has good pace... but admittedly I wouldn't be 100%,

All I know is that I don't want to see Hocking on Priddis again.. seen that carcrash enough times..

Actually Watson has gone head to head with Priddis before - This will be a good match up for Heppell - Think Hocking will go to Shuey and Colyer can take Gaff.

Time to have a crack... All the big bodies are coming in....

In: Watson, Hibberd, TBC, Steinberg
Out: Daniher, Dell'Olio, E.Kav, Fancy Fantasia

HB: Hibberd - Hurley - Dempsey
C: Zaharakis - Myers - Stanton
HF: Goddard - Carlisle - Watson
F: Z.Merrett - TBC - Chapman

Int - Melksham - Winderlich - Colyer - Howlett (SUB)

Optionality around TBC v Daniher, probably room for both to play if Steinberg isn't named (otherwise we're playing a seven man defense). Might be a good idea if Hibberd actually mans a defender and leaves Winderlich to play the 'loose' role after the last game he played.

Howlett to be a sub who can actually influence the game with both midfield presence and goal kicking, has a mature body and suitable replacement if Jobe can't run out the game.

Team looks pretty flexible with the biggest concern being A) Steinberg first game, B) Jobe and Hibberd both returning from injury.

Pressure their ball carriers and they will capitulate.

They have scored 56 points or less 9 times in their last 22 games. (Only Melbourne has been worse over this period of time). This is a huge indictment on their ability to effectively distribute their ball into the forward 50. The last two weeks has seen very little pressure put on the likes of Gaff, Shuey & Hurn, and look at the results. If we bring our A Game in terms of defensive pressure we'll win this game. If not, we'll get scored against quite heavily, and it won't be pretty,

Pressure their ball carriers and they will capitulate.

They have scored 56 points or less 9 times in their last 22 games. (Only Melbourne has been worse over this period of time). This is a huge indictment on their ability to effectively distribute their ball into the forward 50. The last two weeks has seen very little pressure put on the likes of Gaff, Shuey & Hurn, and look at the results. If we bring our A Game in terms of defensive pressure we'll win this game. If not, we'll get scored against quite heavily, and it won't be pretty,

That's a rather random statistic.

Mind you, we've played and lost a couple of games in deluge. I'm not sure whether you expect high scores in those sort of conditions.

That's a rather random statistic.

Mind you, we've played and lost a couple of games in deluge. I'm not sure whether you expect high scores in those sort of conditions.

Considering the wealth of quality goal kickers you have I thought it was a interesting stat.

Fairly confident Hocking will play half-forward in a defensive role against Shannon Hurn. He did this role very well against Brodie Smith earlier in the year.

Watson, Heppell and co to just go head-to-head with west coast midfield

Fairly confident Hocking will play half-forward in a defensive role against Shannon Hurn. He did this role very well against Brodie Smith earlier in the year.

Watson, Heppell and co to just go head-to-head with west coast midfield

Hocking is wasted in tagging roles in defence or the forward line. It was a joke that he tagged Deledio who spent most of the game as a forward. Surely our forwards can do this role.

Hocking is wasted in tagging roles in defence or the forward line. It was a joke that he tagged Deledio who spent most of the game as a forward. Surely our forwards can do this role.

Well SOMEONE needs to lock Hurn down. Who else? Unless you give Merrett the job?

Best of luck, hopefully no injuries etc

Took a team and tried to match it up with our likely team. Uncertainty remains in regards to LeCras, and also if we will play 3 rucks again.

F: Cripps - Kennedy - Lycett

HB: Hibberd - Hurley - Dempsey
HF: LeCras - Darling - Hill

C: Zaharakis - Watson - Stanton
C: Gaff - Priddis - Masten

HF: Goddard - Carlisle - Melksham
HB: Schofield - Mackenzie - Hurn

F: Z.Merrett - TBC - Chapman
B: Bennell - McGovern - Brown

R: Naitanui - Hutchings - Shuey