EURO 2012-Q/F-GERMANY V GREECE (Sat Morn 4.45 AM EST)

Remove this Banner Ad

Today was a good example of how utterly ridiculous the stupid head to head rule is. I would like to think that Russia would have been a more worthy opponent for Greece. Whether they would have been or not, Russia would have been more deserving. Goal difference and goals scored, that is, measures across all fixtures is the only logical tie-breaker, not head to head and just ignore results against other sides.

Today was a good example of how utterly ridiculous the stupid head to head rule is. I would like to think that Russia would have been a more worthy opponent for Greece. Whether they would have been or not, Russia would have been more deserving. Goal difference and goals scored, that is, measures across all fixtures is the only logical tie-breaker, not head to head and just ignore results against other sides.

So if Poland beat Estonia 8-0 and Germany beat Estonia 4-0, and then Germany beat Poland 2-0 and end up on equal points, it's fair for Poland to go through cos they scored more goals? I don't think so, we've lived with goal difference for long enough, head to head at least rewards for results against better sides. I like the head-to-head.

You're just assuming Russia would have been a more worthy opponent than Greece.

Likewise, I can assume Germany would have beaten Russia 5-2 (or 4-1) based on the result of the Greece Russia game.

At the end of the day both Russia and Greece knew the equation going into the final group game. As such you can almost look at it as a round of 16 (or round 2) game. And Greece won fair and square.

You're just assuming Russia would have been a more worthy opponent than Greece.

Likewise, I can assume Germany would have beaten Russia 5-2 (or 4-1) based on the result of the Greece Russia game.

At the end of the day both Russia and Greece knew the equation going into the final group game. As such you can almost look at it as a round of 16 (or round 2) game. And Greece won fair and square.

Exactly: and Russia were far from convincing after beating the Czechs, they knew they had to beat Poland too but struggled against the Poles. At the end of the day, anybody will struggle to beat this German side, they are just too good. I believe even the Spaniards will find it hard against them if they meet.

Remove this Banner Ad

EURO 2012-Q/F-GERMANY V GREECE (Sat Morn 4.45 AM EST)

Remove this Banner Ad

Back